What would you add in a Smash Ultimate “Special Edition”?

Perkilator

Just as the title says. If Smash Ultimate were to get a “Special Edition” later down the line after all the Vol. 2 DLC is released, what would you add to it? I would go with:

• All of the DLC made unlockable through normal gameplay
  • A couple new WoL cutscenes showing Kirby occasionally finding a DLC fighter
  • New and reworked WoL sub-areas featuring DLC fighters
  • New Assist Trophies, including ones from DLC series, and promote a few (Shadow, Spring Man, and (sigh) Waluigi)
  • A new Classic Mode mural featuring the new fighters, both from previous DLC and new base fighters
  • A new Boss Battles mode where you can take on bosses at your own leisure
  • Speaking of bosses, add two: Queen Section (Light Realm) and Grima (Dark Realm)
  • Pokémon from the Galar region as Poké Ball summons
  • New music tracks for series in the base game
  • A PROPER All-Star Mode (as in, ditch All-Star Smash) where you take on fighters by each Smash game
  • Whoever’s promoted from being a Spirit, replace their Spirit Battle in WoL with a battle to awaken that fighter
  • Co-op WoL
  • More Spirits for existing series
  • WoL Very Hard mode (or as I would legit call it, “Whatever You Do, Be Careful” Mode)
  • Add non-Master Hand bosses for Classic Mode routes where it would make sense (Ike vs. Dracula, Peach vs. Rathalos, etc.)
  • Add back 3-minute Smash and Endless Smash
  • Add back Coin Smash
  • Add back Event Matches (if possible)
  • Allow players to have a playlist to play on their custom stages
  • Bring back Target Test and make it how it was in Brawl
  • Add some of the DLC characters to the Spirit Battles in which they’d fit
  • The ability to refight most (but not all) Spirits in WoL without collecting it (so we don’t have to play through the whole mode again just to refight)
  • Rework a few Spirit Battles entirely (like that stupid Mechakoopa Spirit Battle)
  • Bring back the life toggle for Classic Mode and bump it up to 6 lives (3 for each player in co-op)
  • Change most of the Echo Fighters’ moves to some of their templates’ customs moves from Smash 4
  • Bring back Poké Floats, Rainbow Road, PAC-MAZE, Jungle Hijinxs, and Wooly World

That’s all I have for now.

Edited by Perkilator

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

Really, ya sure? You only put nineteen bullets for added content to a game that, in its very nature, is suppose to trump the idea of a 'better version.' That said, I miss Break the Targets.

Edited by Xylaugheon Daily

33 minutes ago, Xylaugheon Daily said:

Really, ya sure? You only put nineteen bullets for added content to a game that, in its very nature, is suppose to trump the idea of a 'better version.' That said, I miss Break the Targets.

Believe me, that’s still a lot, but good point regardless.

I really don't think Nintendo would make a special edition since there's too much money to be made keeping the game's base content and dlc separate from one another. Smash Bros. is just one of those game series that people will buy again and again because it's freaking Smash Bros. However, if they did release a special edition I would like to see them add on the fly style switching as well as local co-op to the bloody palace....

Wait that's Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, oops! :KnollRoll:

Edited by TheGoodHoms

If they did bother making a definitive edition, I think they'd save it for whatever follows the Switch, include all of the DLC from the Switch version, add a few new fighters, stages, songs, bosses, and spirits, and maybe bring Custom Specials back.

Edited by Lord_Brand

8 hours ago, Perkilator said:
  • Add non-Master Hand bosses for Classic Mode routes where it would make sense (Ike vs. Dracula, Peach vs. Rathalos, etc.

None of those make sense.

• Add back Coin Smash

Nobody plays Coin Smash, that's why they got rid of it.

They're already in the game, they just renamed them to "Spirit Battles".

3 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

None of those make sense.

They're already in the game, they just renamed them to "Spirit Battles".

Okay:

1. I figured Ike for Dracula because he’s clad in black (Ike’s Route is called “The Black-Clad Warriors”) and Peach for Rathalos because dragons in fairy tales are known for kidnapping princesses (plus, Peach already fights Bowser BEFORE the final round, and no other Final Round in Classic Mode (at least, not yet) has Giga Bowser after a fight with normal Bowser in the round before).

2. How do you know nobody plays Coin Smash? I played it, and I miss it. I’ve seen other people (I believe in SmashBoards?) who said they missed it.

3. You could still, in theory, make Events a separate thing from Spiritsand coexist with it; just make it so Spirits AREN’T the reward.

Sorry if it seemed like I was going on a tangent.

The opening post already covered a bunch, so I guess I'd just boil my big things down to:

• Add all the DLC to the base game.
  • Promote a small handful Assist Trophies to playable fighters, such as Lyn, Waluigi, Isaac, and Spring Man.
  • Add a section in World of Light for the DLC + promoted Assist Trophies.
  • Galar region Pokemon in the Poke Balls.
  • Maybe a couple brand new characters to give a little more incentive to buy, but only two or three at max since promoted Assist Trophies would already kind of cover this.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I play Coin Smash. Admittedly alone. Occasionally I can get my brother to stop practicing his frames to play Coin Battle with me...in Melee. I would really rather play Coin Smash with either Ultimate's graphics and Melee's engine or just in Ultimate.

10 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I'd do this but also 15 Minute Smash. I want the challenge from Endless Smash but with a goal in sight so I can enjoy being swarmed by enemies.

Don't really think I have much more to add except may making it so that Multi-Man Smash allows customization of music so I can play some epic music for an epic battle.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Promote a small handful Assist Trophies to playable fighters, such as Lyn, Waluigi, Isaac, and Spring Man.

And Krystal! Out of all the ATs currently in Smash, Krystal is the character I most want as a fighter. If I could pick only one AT to promote to fighter status, it'd be Krystal. I'd trade half of Ultimate's roster for the chance to play Krystal. Just please, please let me play Krystal. She hasn't been playable in a game since 2006's Star Fox Command, my least favorite game in the series.

Although, if SSBUSE is supposed to have everything SSBU does, that'd mean they keep the ATs as well, and thus probably not bother with promoting any to fighter status. We'd be more likely to see those characters join the roster in Smash 6, if that ever happens.

As for who else they could add, that'd depend on who else gets added as DLC. If Crash, Spyro, and Shantae all get added, well, Krystal would be pretty much my one big request left, and if she's stuck as an AT, then...I dunno. Most of the characters I want to add, like Darunia and Ruto, haven't been major in a while. I doubt they'd be sellers for the Special Edition.

I have a list of things I think they can/should add in a later, free update to Ultimate, so I should de facto include it:

• Fix right stick so that tilt/smash inputs are just a macro for aerials. With F-air and B-air, they very minorly influence your aerial drift when you attack this way. It doesn't matter much, even in the highest level of play, but it's also an issue I don't recall existing in any previous game.
  • Add Team Attack to the list of preferences for Quickplay. Quickplay Co-op is my most played mode overall, and my friend and I are sick of team compositions that only work because you can smash and charge shot through your teammate. Team Attack adds actual strategy and teamwork to fights.
  • Add Squad Strike to online play, or at least in online Arenas. Such an amazing mode that I bet only 20% of people have played or even remember is in the game.
    • Make it so you can save Squad Strike teams, in order to cut down on time selecting them. They will also demand that you pre-select teams for online play so that you don't have to wait two minutes for your opponent to select theirs.
  • Boss Battles. Seriously why was this not in the game? I'm sure that this mode would take less time to program than Home Run Contest or the Stage Builder did.
  • Make the standard 1v1 stock style of tournament permanently available. It's obviously going to be more popular than 4 player free for alls with items. 
  • Being able to sort the character select screen. Alphabetically, series-based, anything would be an improvement on the current mess that it is.
  • Being able to customize the stage select screen. Give us a Favorites page so that we can put all the tournament legal stages in one spot or just take out stages we don't like whenever we hit Random.
  • Make it so all angle-able tilts and smashes can be angled with straight up or straight down inputs during their animation. This is the case for some moves, like Byleth's F-Smash, but not all of them, and it bugs me.

Smash has never done "ultimate" editions of its games. But if we are just talking what ifs, then I would want:

• Target Test - one unique stage for each character, with associated achievements in the Challenges board. The achievements are not just beating a high score for each stage, but getting your cumulative times of all stages down past a certain threshold or stage specific challenges like doing Link's stage without the Boomerang or bombs.
    • Updated Stage Builder so that we can make our own Target stages and have other people download them to play.
  • Take the existing Race to the Finish Mode in Classic and expand it. Double the length, have alternate paths going downward or upward, and more hazards. 
    • And then make this stage playable on its own outside of Classic, so that players can brag about fastest clears or highest score. 
  • Update all Spirits to include bios and games of origin like the Trophies had in previous smash games.
  • A second world of light campaign, but with traversable levels, enemies to fight, and more plot. FMV cutscenes are great, but so are Kirby style cutscenes using in-engine graphics and animations. There's a lot you can do without any need for dialogue. I'm not terribly sad to see the Subspace Emissary style go, but enough people seem to have wanted that for World of Light. And World of Light can stay just as it is since it's still fun to play.
  • Add back the Pyrosphere stage from Smash 4 with the Ridley boss. There's no good reason to exclude it when every other great stage from the past is in.
  • A return of Custom Moves.
  • Add More Taunts, and the ability to select your favorite three in the Custom menu.
  • A LOT more echo fighters. Just spoil us with every idea you can come up with that doesn't look like garbage.
  • A return of All Star Mode, but with the ability to quit and save your progress to return to later. Because All Star Mode with this roster would be several hours for one playthrough even if they died in five hits like in Smash 4. I also think you can shake up the mode a bit by spawning a few items other than health restores that the play can take with them into the next fight. Franklin badge, jetpack, metal block, etc.
  • Put in combo challenges like other fighting games have. I know Smash isn't a very combo heavy game, especially for certain characters, however the goal of these challenges isn't to teach you the combos themselves, but to wrap your head around what is possible with that character and how the game controls. Seriously an underrated feature of other fighting games.
  • Have all Spirit battles keep track of Clear Time, and give the player the ability to refight any collected Spirit they have previously collected.
  • Have a ton more spirits with no battle tied to them. Instead they're acquired by a return of the Coin Launcher minigame from brawl. Call them Mini Spirits, or something.
  • Allow for local co-op in more modes, like World of Light.
  • Amiibo Tournaments. Watch your amiibo to fight other people's. As well as a second 2v2 format where you fight alongside your amiibo. Could be a fun alternative to the standard Tournament mode, and a good mode for people who just lack friends to team up with in person.
  • If there's balance updates, my only request is a mass reduction of recovery distance for most of the cast. I think it's pretty ridiculous what most characters can come back from, and having a good recovery has mostly boiled down to how many options and variations you have, moreso than how much distance and height you have. This will also place more emphasis on edgeguarding, which is the core mechanic that sets Smash apart from other fighters in the first place.
    • Also, non-up B recovery moves are back and forth whether they refresh after getting hit. I think it would be best if it was either or, rather than a case by case basis. It's seriously difficult trying to remember what refreshes in this game.
  • Update Training Mode so that you can set any of the dummy's attacks, allowing players to practice parrying or block punishing a variety of stuff. Rather than just neutral Special and Forward Smash.
    • Also add a record feature where the game records your inputs with that character, then plays them back against you everytieme you use the Reset command, allowing you to practice responding to more complex things like a crossup aerial or a retreating projectile.
  • Have in-game frame data on moves so that I don't have to freaking count it. Also a turn on hitbox and hurtbox visuals setting in training mode
Edited by Glennstavos

7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

If there's balance updates, my only request is a mass reduction of recovery distance for most of the cast. I think it's pretty ridiculous what most characters can come back from, and having a good recovery has mostly boiled down to how many options and variations you have, moreso than how much distance and height you have. This will also place more emphasis on edgeguarding, which is the core mechanic that sets Smash apart from other fighters in the first place.

On one hand, I really agree with this, but on another, I've learned to accept the system they have alot more as I played. Unfortunately, without absurd recoveries, characters like Pika would get 100% free edgeguards, which would be not fun to deal with.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

On one hand, I really agree with this, but on another, I've learned to accept the system they have alot more as I played. Unfortunately, without absurd recoveries, characters like Pika would get 100% free edgeguards, which would be not fun to deal with.

I've got a pocket Pika and people still get past me. If their recovery has good variations, or a disjointed hitbox, it's never quite free. I just really want a smash game where you're likely to die offstage again, since stage position just seems irrelevant much of the time. Ledges are a big culprit as well, but there are a lot of possibilities in nerfing ledges that ultimately depend on what the recoveries and onstage edgeguards look like in that game.

Also a reduction on recovery distance would directly affect how far one can go out for an edgeguard, thus toning down characters in that regard as well. Pikachu absolutely would be on the list of characters to address. When I play him, the only thing that ever kills me is a running into a raw smash attack and that's not okay for a character that safe and mobile. If you're offstage game is top of the line, your onstage shouldn't also be just as good. It's bad balance.

22 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Just as the title says. If Smash Ultimate were to get a “Special Edition” later down the line after all the Vol. 2 DLC is released, what would you add to it? I would go with:

• All of the DLC made unlockable through normal gameplay
  • A couple new WoL cutscenes showing Kirby occasionally finding a DLC fighter
  • New and reworked WoL sub-areas featuring DLC fighters
  • New Assist Trophies, including ones from DLC series, and promote a few (Shadow, Spring Man, and (sigh) Waluigi)
  • A new Classic Mode mural featuring the new fighters, both from previous DLC and new base fighters
  • A new Boss Battles mode where you can take on bosses at your own leisure
  • Speaking of bosses, add two: Queen Section (Light Realm) and Grima (Dark Realm)
  • Pokémon from the Galar region as Poké Ball summons
  • New music tracks for series in the base game
  • A PROPER All-Star Mode (as in, ditch All-Star Smash) where you take on fighters by each Smash game
  • Whoever’s promoted from being a Spirit, replace their Spirit Battle in WoL with a battle to awaken that fighter
  • Co-op WoL
  • More Spirits for existing series
  • WoL Very Hard mode (or as I would legit call it, “Whatever You Do, Be Careful” Mode)
  • Add non-Master Hand bosses for Classic Mode routes where it would make sense (Ike vs. Dracula, Peach vs. Rathalos, etc.)
  • Add back Coin Smash
  • Allow players to have a playlist to play on their custom stages
  • Bring back Target Test and make it how it was in Brawl
  • Add some of the DLC characters to the Spirit Battles in which they’d fit
  • The ability to refight most (but not all) Spirits in WoL without collecting it (so we don’t have to play through the whole mode again just to refight)
  • Rework a few Spirit Battles entirely (like that stupid Mechakoopa Spirit Battle)

Dr Eggman boss battle. It's a boss rush with low healthbars and many forms, he comes at you with all the best robots from all over the Sonic games, ending with an epic battle against the final boss from Sonic 3. That Drill Tank is also included.

Playable Metal Sonic and Dante

Custom Spirits! Draw a sprite Drawn To Life-style, choose an effect from a list of them, and apply them to your characters.

Bring back Cruel Melee

Echo Creator! Make your own custom echo fighter by picking a character, recolouring whatever part of their body you want, messing with their height/weight/damage/speed stats directly, and picking from a large set of Custom Moves.

edit: no ledge. Rivals of Aether proved a smash game without Ledges and ledge invincibility is better for it. It makes wall-jumping, recoveries, and actually playing smash so much more important than ledge shenanigans.

Edited by Jason-SilverStarApple

14 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Although, if SSBUSE is supposed to have everything SSBU does, that'd mean they keep the ATs as well, and thus probably not bother with promoting any to fighter status. We'd be more likely to see those characters join the roster in Smash 6, if that ever happens.

I don't think previously being an AT in a "Special Edition" of Ultimate would matter for this.

Rather than a Special Edition, what if we got Ultimate Remix? The idea being that it doesn't just add add on to Ultimate but also changes some things around.

Additions

• All DLC from Ultimate is included
  • New Fighters: Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Impa (Sheik Echo), Krystal, Octoling (Inkling Echo), Isaac, Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Echo), X & Zero, Alucard, Shantae
  • New Mii Fighter Costumes
  • Custom Specials return, with some changes
  • New Stages: Crocodile Isle, Dinosaur Planet, Venus Lighthouse, Scuttle Town, Central Highway, Radical Highway
  • New Songs
  • New Bosses: Dr. Eggman, Dr. Wily, Chaos
  • New Spirit Boards
  • New Spirits

Changes

• Luigi gains his own series symbol and victory theme
  • Variant Changes
    • Mario's variants have been changed so he now wears more outfits: Default, Fire, Builder, Golf, Cowboy, Safari, Tuxedo, Wedding
    • Luigi's variants have changed so he now wears different outfits: Default, Fire, Builder, The Green Knight, Mummigi, Groovigi, Gooigi
    • Link's variants have been changed to four different styles: Default, Hylian Tunic, Skyward Sword, Trainee Colors, Twilight Princess, Dark Colors, OoT, Fierce Deity Colors
    • Zelda's variants have been changed to four different styles: Default, Blue, Skyward Sword, Goddess Colors, Twilight Princess, Midna Colors, OoT, Hilda Colors
    • Pokemon Trainer's variants have been changed to represent the eight current generations with a protagonist from each: Red, Kris, Brendan, Dawn, Hilbert, Serena, Sun, Gloria
  • Tails Hat and Knuckles Hat replaced with Tails Mask and Knuckles Mask
  • Some Classic Mode routes have been changed to feature new fighters and bosses
  • You can now choose to skip the bonus stage in Classic Mode
  • Some Spirit Battles have new fighters
  • In co-op Spirit Battles, one player getting KO'd no longer automatically counts as a loss
  • The three treasure hunters are rotated, so now Toadette finds more items, Charlie finds more food, and Linebeck finds treasure
  • World of Light can now be played in co-op

Cuts

• Assist Trophies: Krystal, Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow the Hedgehog, Zero, Alucard
  • Spirits: Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Impa, Krystal, Octolings, Isaac, Shadow the Hedgehog, X, Zero, Alucard, Shantae
  • "Shoot the fighter" minigame after Spirit Battles

5 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I don't think previously being an AT in a "Special Edition" of Ultimate would matter for this.

At the very least I'd expect them to disable ATs while the corresponding fighters are active. So if someone is playing Krystal, the Krystal AT won't appear.

Edited by Lord_Brand

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I've got a pocket Pika and people still get past me. If their recovery has good variations, or a disjointed hitbox, it's never quite free. I just really want a smash game where you're likely to die offstage again, since stage position just seems irrelevant much of the time. Ledges are a big culprit as well, but there are a lot of possibilities in nerfing ledges that ultimately depend on what the recoveries and onstage edgeguards look like in that game.

Also a reduction on recovery distance would directly affect how far one can go out for an edgeguard, thus toning down characters in that regard as well. Pikachu absolutely would be on the list of characters to address. When I play him, the only thing that ever kills me is a running into a raw smash attack and that's not okay for a character that safe and mobile. If you're offstage game is top of the line, your onstage shouldn't also be just as good. It's bad balance.

I suppose that's fair, but they could just remove the ledge snapping mechanic that recoveries have, then. In that case, secondary recovery options such as flip jump would need to be taken out of the game or completely axed, since those arent fair either way.

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Rather than a Special Edition, what if we got Ultimate Remix? The idea being that it doesn't just add add on to Ultimate but also changes some things around.

Hide contents

Additions

• New Fighters: Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Impa (Sheik Echo), Krystal, Octoling (Inkling Echo), Isaac, Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Echo), X & Zero, Alucard, Shantae

Cuts

• Assist Trophies: Krystal, Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow the Hedgehog, Zero, Alucard

Lyn

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Hide contents

Pokemon Trainer's variants have been changed to represent the eight current generations with a protagonist from each: Red, Kris, Brendan, Dawn, Hilbert, Serena, Sun, Gloria

I'd oppose this on the sole basis that Leaf is already a female variant for the Pokemon Trainer and this would cut her.

Sure, we can add Lyn to the list. I think she'd do well as a trio with Eliwood and Hector.

Were it up to me, every gen would get to have both Trainers in there. But there are only eight costume slots per fighter, and there are eight gens. Plus Kris was the original female protagonist, she deserves recognition too. And Dawn, Serena, and Gloria would also get in, so there would still be lots of fan favorites. May and Hilda would miss out unfortunately, but I doubt they'd break gender balance. If they wanted to be really crazy, they could rename the current PT to Kanto Trainer and leave the door open for Johto Trainer, Hoenn Trainer, etc. But I'm not sure how fans would like 21 additional Pokemon fighters being added to Smash, especially if they're all starters. That'd be nearly 30 playable Pokemon in Smash, total.

See, this is why I'm an advocate of the Custom Fighter System, that way everyone can be happy. Customizable Trainers are a thing in Pokemon nowadays, so it would only make sense that you can customize your Trainer in Smash as well. And maybe let players customize their Team of Pokemon while they're at it. This of course would probably mean all playable Pokemon in Smash are now part of a Trainer team, including the likes of Lucario and Mewtwo, but seeing as that's how you play them in the Pokemon series as well, that would also make some sense.