SRPG studio-worth the splurge?

Benice

I've been looking at SRPG studio, and it looks really cool and I'd like to try doing stuff with it. However, 70$ canadian is pretty dang steep for a hobby. Do you people think it's worth a splurge? Or if it's worth waiting for a sale?

Thanks for all answers.

1 minute ago, TheeBill said:

That depends entirely on you. If you have a project in mind that you really wanna work on go for it. Though I think if you have to ask you probably should wait.

Thanks for the advice. I know Von talks about SRPG studio a lot and it seejs to be easier than FeBuilder, but I'll wait until there's a sale or something.

it is

but it's not the most user friendly experience

__ 

I recommend waiting, I got it on sale for $10 not to long ago, and Steam should have a spring sale any day now

SRPG Studio has worked very well for me and what I'm doing, but if you're not intending to deviate too far from GBAFE conventions, then FEBuilder may work just as well for you.

As with anything, I recommend getting it on sale if at all possible.

As one who knows absolutely nothing about ROM hacking, I find SRPG Studio a lot more user friendly.  Granted, some things are still kinda obtuse, but if you've ever worked with RPG Maker then you'll probably deal with it alright.

And that isn't to say FEBuilder isn't good - it absolutely is - but for me it's a bit... er, complicated?  I dunno, I just have an easier time using SRPG Studio.

11 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

but it's not the most user friendly experience

How so? Is it tough to learn the ropes?

6 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

As one who knows absolutely nothing about ROM hacking, I find SRPG Studio a lot more user friendly.  Granted, some things are still kinda obtuse, but if you've ever worked with RPG Maker then you'll probably deal with it alright.

And that isn't to say FEBuilder isn't good - it absolutely is - but for me it's a bit... er, complicated?  I dunno, I just have an easier time using SRPG Studio.

Yeah, FEBuilder can be weird at times. The world map just absolutely messes me up every time. If I switched to SRPG studio, I'd do it for 

• More portraits
  • Better Support mechanics
  • More liberty with what I can do for events and stuff
  • Easier to change stuff like the world map
  • Better graphics
  • More liberty with classes

If there's a good sale, I'll probably go for it. Thanks for all of your advice, guys!

52 minutes ago, Benice said:

How so? Is it tough to learn the ropes?

There's some stuff that's kind of clunky, particularly if you want to make games in a similar style to GBA FE games.  It's very clunky to even set up a support system without plugins, and adding your own resources isn't quite as simple as just "throw them in a folder and you're good".  Some other stuff is a little wonky, like transformations or class changing.

But generally speaking, I'd say it's not quite the learning curve that any amount of ROM hacking would be.  But given that it costs actual money, this makes sense.

58 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, FEBuilder can be weird at times. The world map just absolutely messes me up every time. If I switched to SRPG studio, I'd do it for 

• More portraits
  • Better Support mechanics
  • More liberty with what I can do for events and stuff
  • Easier to change stuff like the world map
  • Better graphics
  • More liberty with classes

I'll say a few things.

First, you'll absolutely need a plugin for support mechanics.  Or you'll have to set it up yourself, which would be a mega clusterfuck of variable programming.  Look up "SRPG Studio support system" or "SRPG Studio support plugin".  There are a bunch of other plugins as well, a lot of the good ones made by someone named "Goinza" (including the support system plugin).  If you want a better experience with SRPG Studio, definitely look into the plugins.

Secondly, "better graphics" is... debatable.  Mostly, the main gripe I and a lot of people have is that the frame rate is stupid choppy, mostly in regards to the battle animations.  Some might've been able to fix it, but I wouldn't know what the fix would be.  One thing's for certain: the GBA battle animations are leaps and bounds more gorgeous and cool than the default battle animations for SRPG Studio.

Thirdly, there's another plugin for classes.  Classes as-is are alright, but if you want a streamlined FE-type reclass system, you'll want a plugin.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

There's some stuff that's kind of clunky, particularly if you want to make games in a similar style to GBA FE games.  It's very clunky to even set up a support system without plugins, and adding your own resources isn't quite as simple as just "throw them in a folder and you're good".  Some other stuff is a little wonky, like transformations or class changing.

But generally speaking, I'd say it's not quite the learning curve that any amount of ROM hacking would be.  But given that it costs actual money, this makes sense.

I'll say a few things.

First, you'll absolutely need a plugin for support mechanics.  Or you'll have to set it up yourself, which would be a mega clusterfuck of variable programming.  Look up "SRPG Studio support system" or "SRPG Studio support plugin".  There are a bunch of other plugins as well, a lot of the good ones made by someone named "Goinza" (including the support system plugin).  If you want a better experience with SRPG Studio, definitely look into the plugins.

Secondly, "better graphics" is... debatable.  Mostly, the main gripe I and a lot of people have is that the frame rate is stupid choppy, mostly in regards to the battle animations.  Some might've been able to fix it, but I wouldn't know what the fix would be.  One thing's for certain: the GBA battle animations are leaps and bounds more gorgeous and cool than the default battle animations for SRPG Studio.

Thirdly, there's another plugin for classes.  Classes as-is are alright, but if you want a streamlined FE-type reclass system, you'll want a plugin.

Ah. If there is a sale, I'll have to think about this. Thanks again for the help!