BEXP Help!

Knowing my end goal in PoR was to transfer to RD, I saved my bexp til the end to manipulate level-ups and make sure some units were gonna hit 20. Now that I'm in Radiant Dawn, I'm at a loss on what to do with the bexp I currently have.

Some Questions:

• Does bexp carry over between the different armies or should I use what I have before the individual parts end?
  • What is the best way to use (or abuse!) bexp in Radiant Dawn? I remember from a long while ago hearing it's better to save til characters max some of their stats so bexp levels can give guaranteed growths but I'm a little hazy on that.
  • Are there any characters that massively benefit from bexp?
  • I looked at the calculations and saw that it takes a lot more bexp per level in RD, than in PoR. Is that balanced or offset by the amount of bexp given later in the game or is bexp less useful in RD?
  • Generally, is it worth trying to get the extra bexp for low turncounts or is it better to focus the exp on a few units and just defeat more enemies?
  • Going off that, are there any specific maps to look out for where it would be better to boss abuse/gain more exp than it would to get the max bexp for turncount?
  • Going off of that going off that, I'm the person that may try to reset a map to get all of the rewards/bexp, are there any maps where it would be particularly difficult (or not worth it) to get all of the rewards+bexp? 

By the way, I'm playing on Western normal and I'm like on 1-7 if that matters. Thanks!

BXP does not carry over between armies. However, it does carry over between parts, so if one army left and came back any BXP you had would before they left would carry over. 

BXP is guaranteed to level up 3 stats. Because of this it’s better to use it when a unit has their higher stats capped or is close to promotion time. 

Everyone can benefit from BXP so it’s a little subjective but usually I find Jill needs some in the end of part 1 to give her an extra boost before she promotes, since she doesn’t usually have enough availability to reach 20 regularly. Haar benefits the most from it in part 2, and if you play all your cards right he can even reach tier 3. In part 3 pretty much everyone benefits from it since they’re that damn good but I’d suggest mia, Oscar and Soren in particular. In part 4 BXP should go to the units you’re using for the endgame.

BXP in PoR is more powerful for sure but it’s still useful in RD for just giving some units an extra push. You’d do well to save it but not hoard it. I usually use it when someone has two or three stats capped and is a couple points away from thresholds they need to meet.

Playing optimally for more BXP is always nice but it’s really not required at all to get good units. You can go either way and still be successful. 

1-7, 1-E, and 4-5 come to mind for grinding. I’m not one for grinding so there could be more but those are definitely the easiest. 4-5 in particular is your last and best chance to raise units for the endgame.

The Crimean Knight maps tend to have a high BXP yield. They’re pretty easy to manage, though. 3-9 and 3-10 will be huge for BXP so try to get a lot in those two and not use any until 3-11 comes around- or save it even further for part 4. 

I don't think BEXP carries over from part to part, but it does from army to army, so if DB has 80 BEXP left over from pt. 1, in part 3 they'll have 80 BEXP too.

My advice

1. If Aran's getting speed and/or res from Bexp, give him a lot of levels; he becomes AMAZING in my eperience and is especially helpful during part 3, his def is a huge asset in 3-6. He once ORKO'd my Lv.20 Ike in 13-3 as a level 14/13 Halberdier.
  2. If Laura's getting def from Bexp, put a few levels into her; in part 3 she's very important, and again, in my experience, becomes a god later on. (She capped def as a bishop for me) She essentially becomes Micaiah with good speed.
  3. If you're using her, Jill needs a lot of BEXP to be useful, IMO. I find that she's pretty bad compared to some of your options, but ehh, if you like her, use her.
  4. Soren doesn't need that much BEXP to be good; as a 12-1 Archsage he was far better in every single stat bar strength to Ilyana, my 20/20/13 Archsage. Ilyana capped strength at every level, though. Just keep Soren around the right level, but he's so good that he don't need much.
  5. I don't think it's worthwhile getting Haar to 3rd tier during part 2 via BEXp, but that's just me. 
  6. If she's getting lucky stats from BEXP, dump a lot into Marcia. I wasn't using her because her Strength was suck, but I had a lot of Bexp left after Sainting Laura, so I'm like, what the heck, you're adorable and Tanith and Sigrun kinda suck. Have some Bexp! Seraph knight Marcia proceeds to become one of my top units.
  7. You can really give Bexp to whomever you favour, but I'd say not many pt. 2 units are worthing Bexp dumpig into.

While BEXP does not carry over between armies it will eventually be pooled together, once your armies merge.

22 minutes ago, Brave Lance said:

The Crimean Knight maps tend to have a high BXP yield.

Chapter 2-3 in particular can give a huge amount of BEXP for not killing enemies, which you might want to watch out for. You can use that to massively raise a unit, Haar is easily best for this, to make 2-F and some other later maps a cakewalk.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

If you're using her, Jill needs a lot of BEXP to be useful, IMO. I find that she's pretty bad compared to some of your options, but ehh, if you like her, use her.

I don't agree with this at all, at least on normal. Jill does need some investment, but the payoff is huge, she makes amazing use of the resources you put into her. Much better than anyone else in the DB and it's not even close.

6 minutes ago, Classic said:

I don't agree with this at all, at least on normal. Jill does need some investment, but the payoff is huge, she makes amazing use of the resources you put into her. Much better than anyone else in the DB and it's not even close.

I have a lot of stilted opinions on RD characters; Nolan literally gained six total stats over eight levels, for example. For me, every single time Jill ends up bad, no matter how many levels I put into her. If she had better base HP, she'd be perhaps better, but even with the Seraph robes I found she couldn't keep up at all with the other people I had. If Haar and Marcia didn't exist, I'd probably make Jill one of my top units to invest in. 

Also, I haven't played PoR and therefore don't have transfer bonuses. Can't say what she's like with said bonuses.

1 hour ago, Quiyonce said:

Some Questions:

• Does bexp carry over between the different armies or should I use what I have before the individual parts end?
  • What is the best way to use (or abuse!) bexp in Radiant Dawn? I remember from a long while ago hearing it's better to save til characters max some of their stats so bexp levels can give guaranteed growths but I'm a little hazy on that.
  • Are there any characters that massively benefit from bexp?
  • I looked at the calculations and saw that it takes a lot more bexp per level in RD, than in PoR. Is that balanced or offset by the amount of bexp given later in the game or is bexp less useful in RD?
  • Generally, is it worth trying to get the extra bexp for low turncounts or is it better to focus the exp on a few units and just defeat more enemies?
  • Going off that, are there any specific maps to look out for where it would be better to boss abuse/gain more exp than it would to get the max bexp for turncount?
  • Going off of that going off that, I'm the person that may try to reset a map to get all of the rewards/bexp, are there any maps where it would be particularly difficult (or not worth it) to get all of the rewards+bexp? 

1.  No. You do retain the BEXP you have between parts, though, and when the armies all converge, it's all pooled together.
  2. As BEXP in Radiant Dawn gives three stats, it's best used when a unit has capped several stats.
  3. Everyone can benefit from BEXP to some extent, but once again, it's best when a unit has several stats capped.
  4. BEXP is more powerful in PoR, yes, but even in RD, it's still abusable.
  5. It's not necessary.
  6. 4-5 is the big one, and also the last chance to get characters ready for the (5-part) Endgame. 1-7 and 1-E can work, too, as both are seize chapters.
  7. 2-3 is not worth getting all the BEXP imho - it's dependent on you leaving a lot of enemies alive, which can be kinda hard to justify doing. On the other hand, 3-9 and 3-10 are BEXP gold mines.
43 minutes ago, Benice said:
  • Soren doesn't need that much BEXP to be good; as a 12-1 Archsage he was far better in every single stat bar strength to Ilyana, my 20/20/13 Archsage. Ilyana capped strength at every level, though. Just keep Soren around the right level, but he's so good that he don't need much.

The problem I have with this is that mages in Radiant Dawn are... to say the least, not that good. Including Soren.

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

problem I have with this is that mages in Radiant Dawn are... to say the least, not that good. Including Soren.

Soren's probably the one most worth investing into, though, if you are wanting mages. Blizzard is pretty dang good. Your other options aren't so justifiable to invest into. (No, of COURSE I'm not looking at you, Tormod.) If Ilyana was a bit faster or something she'd be good, but I wasted a LOT of time training her up.

1 hour ago, Brave Lance said:

Everyone can benefit from BXP so it’s a little subjective but usually I find Jill needs some in the end of part 1 to give her an extra boost before she promotes, since she doesn’t usually have enough availability to reach 20 regularly. Haar benefits the most from it in part 2, and if you play all your cards right he can even reach tier 3. In part 3 pretty much everyone benefits from it since they’re that damn good but I’d suggest mia, Oscar and Soren in particular. In part 4 BXP should go to the units you’re using for the endgame.

BXP in PoR is more powerful for sure but it’s still useful in RD for just giving some units an extra push. You’d do well to save it but not hoard it. I usually use it when someone has two or three stats capped and is a couple points away from thresholds they need to meet.

1-7, 1-E, and 4-5 come to mind for grinding. I’m not one for grinding so there could be more but those are definitely the easiest. 4-5 in particular is your last and best chance to raise units for the endgame.

The Crimean Knight maps tend to have a high BXP yield. They’re pretty easy to manage, though. 3-9 and 3-10 will be huge for BXP so try to get a lot in those two and not use any until 3-11 comes around- or save it even further for part 4. 

I love the specifics! Haar, Jill, Oscar and Soren were units I specifically bexp'd in PoR for transfer bonuses so I'm already used to prioritizing them lol. Mia, I didn't use so I'll be sure to watch out for her as well as the chapters you mentioned, thanks!

57 minutes ago, Benice said:

I don't think BEXP carries over from part to part, but it does from army to army, so if DB has 80 BEXP left over from pt. 1, in part 3 they'll have 80 BEXP too.

My advice

1. If Aran's getting speed and/or res from Bexp, give him a lot of levels; he becomes AMAZING in my eperience and is especially helpful during part 3, his def is a huge asset in 3-6. He once ORKO'd my Lv.20 Ike in 13-3 as a level 14/13 Halberdier.
  2. If Laura's getting def from Bexp, put a few levels into her; in part 3 she's very important, and again, in my experience, becomes a god later on. (She capped def as a bishop for me) She essentially becomes Micaiah with good speed.
  3. If you're using her, Jill needs a lot of BEXP to be useful, IMO. I find that she's pretty bad compared to some of your options, but ehh, if you like her, use her.
  4. Soren doesn't need that much BEXP to be good; as a 12-1 Archsage he was far better in every single stat bar strength to Ilyana, my 20/20/13 Archsage. Ilyana capped strength at every level, though. Just keep Soren around the right level, but he's so good that he don't need much.
  5. I don't think it's worthwhile getting Haar to 3rd tier during part 2 via BEXp, but that's just me. 
  6. If she's getting lucky stats from BEXP, dump a lot into Marcia. I wasn't using her because her Strength was suck, but I had a lot of Bexp left after Sainting Laura, so I'm like, what the heck, you're adorable and Tanith and Sigrun kinda suck. Have some Bexp! Seraph knight Marcia proceeds to become one of my top units.
  7. You can really give Bexp to whomever you favour, but I'd say not many pt. 2 units are worthing Bexp dumpig into.

I've heard about your Aran in the tier-list topic. I hope my Aran gets as blessed as well, cause I want to use a sentinel and I'm not sure about my Neph since I didn't get her transfer bonuses. I did for Marcia though, so I'll probs end up using her as well! Part 2 is Elincia's army right? Based on PoR, the only units I may use are Elincia and Geoffrey. But if either still have Paragon, then they might not need bexp anyway. Thanks!

40 minutes ago, Classic said:

While BEXP does not carry over between armies it will eventually be pooled together, once your armies merge.

Chapter 2-3 in particular can give a huge amount of BEXP for not killing enemies, which you might want to watch out for. You can use that to massively raise a unit, Haar is easily best for this, to make 2-F and some other later maps a cakewalk.

29 minutes ago, Benice said:

I have a lot of stilted opinions on RD characters; Nolan literally gained six total stats over eight levels, for example. For me, every single time Jill ends up bad, no matter how many levels I put into her. If she had better base HP, she'd be perhaps better, but even with the Seraph robes I found she couldn't keep up at all with the other people I had. If Haar and Marcia didn't exist, I'd probably make Jill one of my top units to invest in. 

Also, I haven't played PoR and therefore don't have transfer bonuses. Can't say what she's like with said bonuses.

Thanks for the 2-3 info! I'm trying to stay away from guides but I also want to be sure I don't miss out on anything huge!

Jill has bonuses from PoR in Str, Sp, Atk, and Def. along with S Lance and C Axe so unless Ashera hates her, I think she'll be good. I will watch out for her HP though, cause she got screwed in that even in PoR.

13 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

1.  No. You do retain the BEXP you have between parts, though, and when the armies all converge, it's all pooled together.
  2. As BEXP in Radiant Dawn gives three stats, it's best used when a unit has capped several stats.
  3. Everyone can benefit from BEXP to some extent, but once again, it's best when a unit has several stats capped.
  4. BEXP is more powerful in PoR, yes, but even in RD, it's still abusable.
  5. It's not necessary.
  6. 4-5 is the big one, and also the last chance to get characters ready for the (5-part) Endgame. 1-7 and 1-E can work, too, as both are seize chapters.
  7. 2-3 is not worth getting all the BEXP imho - it's dependent on you leaving a lot of enemies alive, which can be kinda hard to justify doing. On the other hand, 3-9 and 3-10 are BEXP gold mines.

The problem I have with this is that mages in Radiant Dawn are... to say the least, not that good. Including Soren.

Okay, so I'm def gonna take note of all these chapters. Interesting on 2-3 though...I'll have to see when I get there.

I've heard that mages in RD are annoying to fight but also harder to use. Even so, Soren has maxed out favoritism so he's getting used regardless. Ilyana also didn't get PoR bonuses so if I have to bench her later, it won't hurt as much even though she's useful now. Pelleas'll probs get used to on a subsequent runthrough.

Either way, thanks for all the help!  I actually stopped my playthrough cause I didn't know if I'd ever see my Part 1 bexp again lol. Glad to know I can continue😊

Edit: @Benice Tormod got a lot of use from me in PoR. 4 levels away from 20-20. It's a shame they murdered his availability in RD.

Edited by Quiyonce

3 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

Part 2 is Elincia's army right? Based on PoR, the only units I may use are Elincia and Geoffrey. But if either still have Paragon, then they might not need bexp anyway. Thanks!

It is. It also has to do with general goings-on in Crimea and is a MASSIVE Deconstruction of the events of Path of Radiance. By the way. Geoffrey does have Paragon still, but... unfortunately, he also comes massively overleveled to the point it doesn't help him much (by which I mean level 15 in second tier). Nor does the fact that

Spoiler

you only have four chapters to use him before endgame.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

Soren's probably the one most worth investing into, though, if you are wanting mages. Blizzard is pretty dang good. Your other options aren't so justifiable to invest into. (No, of COURSE I'm not looking at you, Tormod.) If Ilyana was a bit faster or something she'd be good, but I wasted a LOT of time training her up.

I dunno about that... raising him doesn't really give me an amazing magic attacker, as mages got smacked in the gut with the nerfbat (that being said, while mages suffered from PoR to RD, laguz are the biggest losers in the transition between games). And honestly, he doesn't really have any niche that would make raising him worthwhile, unlike Calill or Ilyana; the former has the speed to get to doubling thresholds against key enemies with Rexflame, and the latter is the only one capable of using Rexbolt, which can make taking out a certain boss in the endgame much easier (by the way, the highest weapon rank - SS - can only be obtained for weapon types that the unit specialized in originally; ergo, the mages can only SS rank their main magic type, for example).

48 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

I've heard about your Aran in the tier-list topic. I hope my Aran gets as blessed as well, cause I want to use a sentinel and I'm not sure about my Neph since I didn't get her transfer bonuses. I did for Marcia though, so I'll probs end up using her as well! Part 2 is Elincia's army right? Based on PoR, the only units I may use are Elincia and Geoffrey. But if either still have Paragon, then they might not need bexp anyway. Thanks!

If you're like me, you'll find everyone in Chapters 2-1 and 2-2 other than Brom and Mordecai to be VERY squuishy; I'm pretty  sure there is an enemy who can one-shot Nephenee, in 2-2, or at least come close to it. If you're going to give Paragon to anyone in part 2, I'd make it either Kieran or Marcia's bro whose name I can't remember for some reason. Astrid's pretty bad IMO, but I think she got screwed pretty bad. If you're planning to use her, she absolutely NEEDS paragon to even hope to contribute. Elincia dn Geoffrey will not be needing Bexp in the slightest, at least not in part 2; they're overlevelled anyhow, so they zucc up a lot of bexp for few levels.

52 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

Okay, so I'm def gonna take note of all these chapters. Interesting on 2-3 though...I'll have to see when I get there.

The interesting thing on 2-3 is that enemies will run away and not fight once they get to the health where their map models slouch; most of them can only heal via healheadges, so it takes them a REALLY long time. I found that Marcia's bro was really good in tandem with Astrid for weakening but neither could really kill that effectively; if you want the bexp, just leave the people alone while they're trying to heal then clear the map. (I think there was about 20 fighters all clustered around one healhedge in my run.)

55 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

I've heard that mages in RD are annoying to fight but also harder to use. Even so, Soren has maxed out favoritism so he's getting used regardless. Ilyana also didn't get PoR bonuses so if I have to bench her later, it won't hurt as much even though she's useful now. Pelleas'll probs get used to on a subsequent runthrough.

Yeah, I find Soren to be excellent, especially since he's in part 3, which has a heck ton of people who can tank/not die in one hit. Ilyana IS worth using IMO, but I put sooo much Bexp in her because for some reason I was fixated on "I have to get Rexbolt! I can't finish the game without it! Ahh Ilyana's 25 levels behind have all of my Bexp that's supposed to be used on good units!!!" If she turns out good, nothing wrong with using her; she's just generally a little slow.

57 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

hope my Aran gets as blessed as well, cause I want to use a sentinel and I'm not sure about my Neph since I didn't get her transfer bonuses.

Well, actually, I was planning on just keeping him as a halberdier for 13-3, but then I saw that because Laura was a god, I could quite easily support Aran on the bottom floor with all of the enemies; I also was able to sleep Ike, (who also turned out amazing, capping skill, def and 1 point of strength shy.) via Laura, who had an 88% hitrate. I then promoted Aran, who destroyed everybody before the 13-3 archer could, then activated Impale on the slumbering Ike, ending the map just as everyone else was about to die. For 13-3, as long as he isn't somehow def screwed, he should be fine since with his massive strength, he should come close to OHKO'ing a lot of people anyways. Watch out for Soren, though. He nearly got me.

Tormod got a lot of use from me in PoR. 4 levels away from 20-20. It's a shame they murdered his availability in RD.

Oh, he's quite good in part 1; he however can't get much exp due to being a promoted sage. He then shows up about 16-18 ish chapters later with the same stats he had in part one. He can turn out OK if you get him to Archsage, though. He probably won't be as good as Soren. 

I'd use him if he got a paired ending with Sanaki, though.

Yeah, good luck!

That sounds about right. Though they still have it better than laguz units. Also, Pelleas drew the short straw in terms of SS tomes - Balberith is really inaccurate even compared to Rexbolt. And it isn't like it's that powerful, either...

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

It is. It also has to do with general goings-on in Crimea and is a MASSIVE Deconstruction of the events of Path of Radiance. By the way. Geoffrey does have Paragon still, but... unfortunately, he also comes massively overleveled to the point it doesn't help him much (by which I mean level 15 in second tier). Nor does the fact that

Hide contents

you only have four chapters to use him before endgame.

And honestly, he doesn't really have any niche that would make raising him worthwhile, unlike Calill or Ilyana; the former has the speed to get to doubling thresholds against key enemies with Rexflame, and the latter is the only one capable of using Rexbolt, which can make taking out a certain boss in the endgame much easier (by the way, the highest weapon rank - SS - can only be obtained for weapon types that the unit specialized in originally; ergo, the mages can only SS rank their main magic type, for example).

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

That sounds about right. Though they still have it better than laguz units. Also, Pelleas drew the short straw in terms of SS tomes - Balberith is really inaccurate even compared to Rexbolt. And it isn't like it's that powerful, either...

That availability sucks. Geoffrey got PoR bonuses too...Wait, don't he and Elincia have a paired ending? Do I only have 4 chapters pre-endgame to raise their support to A?

I know they're not optimal units, but I suffer heavily from Soren and Pelleas favoritism. I won't expect much but I'll be happy just being able to field them. Ilyana and Calill will have to wait til I get those PoR bonuses on them though 😛 

43 minutes ago, Benice said:

If you're like me, you'll find everyone in Chapters 2-1 and 2-2 other than Brom and Mordecai to be VERY squuishy; I'm pretty  sure there is an enemy who can one-shot Nephenee, in 2-2, or at least come close to it. If you're going to give Paragon to anyone in part 2, I'd make it either Kieran or Marcia's bro whose name I can't remember for some reason. Astrid's pretty bad IMO, but I think she got screwed pretty bad. If you're planning to use her, she absolutely NEEDS paragon to even hope to contribute. Elincia dn Geoffrey will not be needing Bexp in the slightest, at least not in part 2; they're overlevelled anyhow, so they zucc up a lot of bexp for few levels.

The interesting thing on 2-3 is that enemies will run away and not fight once they get to the health where their map models slouch; most of them can only heal via healheadges, so it takes them a REALLY long time. I found that Marcia's bro was really good in tandem with Astrid for weakening but neither could really kill that effectively; if you want the bexp, just leave the people alone while they're trying to heal then clear the map. (I think there was about 20 fighters all clustered around one healhedge in my run.)

Yeah, I find Soren to be excellent, especially since he's in part 3, which has a heck ton of people who can tank/not die in one hit. Ilyana IS worth using IMO, but I put sooo much Bexp in her because for some reason I was fixated on "I have to get Rexbolt! I can't finish the game without it! Ahh Ilyana's 25 levels behind have all of my Bexp that's supposed to be used on good units!!!" If she turns out good, nothing wrong with using her; she's just generally a little slow.

Well, actually, I was planning on just keeping him as a halberdier for 13-3, but then I saw that because Laura was a god, I could quite easily support Aran on the bottom floor with all of the enemies; I also was able to sleep Ike, (who also turned out amazing, capping skill, def and 1 point of strength shy.) via Laura, who had an 88% hitrate. I then promoted Aran, who destroyed everybody before the 13-3 archer could, then activated Impale on the slumbering Ike, ending the map just as everyone else was about to die. For 13-3, as long as he isn't somehow def screwed, he should be fine since with his massive strength, he should come close to OHKO'ing a lot of people anyways. Watch out for Soren, though. He nearly got me.

Oh, he's quite good in part 1; he however can't get much exp due to being a promoted sage. He then shows up about 16-18 ish chapters later with the same stats he had in part one. He can turn out OK if you get him to Archsage, though. He probably won't be as good as Soren. 

I'd use him if he got a paired ending with Sanaki, though.

Yeah, good luck!

I've heard Astrid got screwed in this game as well😭 It sucks cause I got her PoR bonuses but I know she's not gonna make it to Endgame. Maybe I'll use her and Makalov both after I get their A support in PoR. I've heard bond supports are pretty useful. For my first run, I want to focus primarily on new units and my transfers from PoR, so Laura and Aran are almost shoe-in's to get consistent use. Not sure if I can say the same for poor Leonardo.

Tormod and Sanaki definitely should have gotten supports, especially if Sanaki wants to help the laguz to make up for the Serenes Massacre.

1 minute ago, Quiyonce said:

That availability sucks. Geoffrey got PoR bonuses too...Wait, don't he and Elincia have a paired ending? Do I only have 4 chapters pre-endgame to raise their support to A?

They indeed have a paired ending, but I think it's only mentioned in Geoffrey's. Geoffrey and Elincia are the only Part. 2 people who don't suffer that mich from their lack of availibility during part 4.

2 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

know they're not optimal units, but I suffer heavily from Soren and Pelleas favoritism. I won't expect much but I'll be happy just being able to field them. Ilyana and Calill will have to wait til I get those PoR bonuses on them though 😛 

Can't say about pelleas since I've only beaten RD once, but I suffer from Darkmagicaddicitionitus, which compels me to have at least one dark-magic user in every game. Again, Soren's actually pretty good.

3 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

I've heard Astrid got screwed in this game as well😭 It sucks cause I got her PoR bonuses but I know she's not gonna make it to Endgame. Maybe I'll use her and Makalov both after I get their A support in PoR. I've heard bond supports are pretty useful. For my first run, I want to focus primarily on new units and my transfers from PoR, so Laura and Aran are almost shoe-in's to get consistent use. Not sure if I can say the same for poor Leonardo.

Yeah. If they are good bonuses, she might be alright. Makalov is fast choild, though! Laura is basically essential in part three, so I'd try to promote her for Pt. 1 endgame. (Via a master seal if you're not using it on anyone else, that is.)

4 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

You'd have to take both of them to endgame - Elincia only is usable in three pre-endgame chapters, and she shares only one of those with Geoffrey (considering the latter is a late arrival in 2-E).

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Again, Soren's actually pretty good.

Why are you insisting this? He's not that good.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Why are you insisting this? He's not that good.

Well, I'm pretty sure he's the best magic user in the game, has great bases, great magic growth and pretty dang good speed and skill growths; He could routinely ORKO practically anything in his path. If you choose to invest in him, he turns out the best out of all of the spellcasters.

I’ve only beaten RD once before but I’m currently having another run on hard mode. I guess I can share some opinion.

In my last playthrough, I dumped BEXP mainly into Mia and Nephenee and both turned out to be absolute goddess. Everyone in GM can cap stats with ease so they’re worth the investment.

I don’t find Nephenee hard to use (no transfer because I don’t have a PoR save). In her joining chapter 2-1, she can mop the lower lane clean by herself even on hard mode. The boss is the only hard thing so I relied on wrath counterattack. (It’s luck but the chapter is short.) She was also able to function as a choke point on 2-E, along with Brom, Haar, and Elincia herself.

Elincia and her army do have few available chapters, but they’re still usable. I regretted not brining Lucia, who promoted to Trueblade, into 4-E, because there are 2 SS rank sword in the game and nobody in my army could use the second one.

About the mages, they aren’t very destructive. The most powerful one is probably Sanaki who joins as a tier 3 prepromote and has access to the powerful tomes Cymberline and Rexflame. Soren was kinda, uh, ruined by me last playthrough because he didn’t reach SS rank wind magic. Ilyana is good because Rexbolt and it doesn’t hurt to bring other mages because you can spam Bolting/Meteor in the final chapters.

Back to the topic, BEXP is best dumped to those who have capped some stats in order to cap every last one of them. It can be different for different playthroughs because RNG. My Nolan capped absolutely everything as a Warrior in part 4 and entered 4-E as a Reaver last playthrough.

Edited by Wishblade

12 hours ago, Benice said:

Well, I'm pretty sure he's the best magic user in the game, has great bases, great magic growth and pretty dang good speed and skill growths; He could routinely ORKO practically anything in his path. If you choose to invest in him, he turns out the best out of all of the spellcasters.

Bold: 35 is a great speed growth?

The rest: The problem is that believing this requires ignoring the fact that mages pretty much got neutered due to weak tomes and low speed stats and caps (Calill is pretty much the only mage to avoid this, and even she is stuck with a low speed cap) as well as the fact that enemy units have higher resistance scores than in most other Fire Emblem games, and on top of that, even generals, the units that mages have historically been the bane of, tend to be fast enough to not be doubled by mages (I kid you not!).

13 hours ago, Quiyonce said:

I've heard bond supports are pretty useful.

That's not true - bond supports via data transfer only give 5 crit/crit evade. The crit is just too low to make a difference, since in case you haven't already noticed, enemy luck stats are rather high.

14 hours ago, Benice said:

If you're going to give Paragon to anyone in part 2, I'd make it either Kieran or Marcia's bro whose name I can't remember for some reason.

It should be noted that for some reason, you cannot swap skills in part 2.

14 hours ago, Benice said:

Oh, he's quite good in part 1; he however can't get much exp due to being a promoted sage. He then shows up about 16-18 ish chapters later with the same stats he had in part one.

16-18 ish chapters later? Try "near the end of the game".

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bold: 35 is a great speed growth?

Guess I'm blessed.

The problem is that believing this requires ignoring the fact that mages pretty much got neutered due to weak tomes and low speed stats and caps (Calill is pretty much the only mage to avoid this, and even she is stuck with a low speed cap) as well as the fact that enemy units have higher resistance scores than in most other Fire Emblem games, and on top of that, even generals, the units that mages have historically been the bane of, tend to be fast enough to not be doubled by mages (I kid you not!).

Do people actuslly cap most stats, though? The only person who's capped anything was Ilyana for strength and Aran +Ike for skill. Valid point, though. Most tomes got debuffed badly.

That's not true - bond supports via data transfer only give 5 crit/crit evade. The crit is just too low to make a difference, since in case you haven't already noticed, enemy luck stats are rather high.

And in part four most enemies have a 20-30 critrate on your units, which sucks a LOT.

16-18 ish chapters later? Try "near the end of the game".

Well, twenty one, since there's part two, which is five chapters, part three, which is thirteen, then 4-4, I think? Might be 4-3. (Dang, I hate this chapter.)

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Do people actuslly cap most stats, though? The only person who's capped anything was Ilyana for strength and Aran +Ike for skill. Valid point, though. Most tomes got debuffed badly.

It's pretty trivial with BEXP abuse. For beorc, anyway.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Well, twenty one, since there's part two, which is five chapters, part three, which is thirteen, then 4-4, I think? Might be 4-3. (Dang, I hate this chapter.)

It's 4-4 (which is a chapter I really hate). Which reminds me, another strike against Soren is that he's locked to Greil in part 4, which is the worst route for mages.

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

It's 4-4 (which is a chapter I really hate)

I've been stuck on this dang map for WAAAAAAYYY too long.

• 3 months later...

I gotta say I love part 4. So many different team combinations you can use and lots of unique battles. But I really enjoy a challenge so maybe that's part of it, I only enjoy playing on hard mode.

I did want to mention that I love using bexp on Jill and Edward. Jill can get RNG screwed sometimes but at other times she becomes the best freaking unit in the game (outside of Ike of course. So OP!). I have found the RD chapters in hard mode to be MUCH more manageable when I focus on Edward, and even more so when I pair him with nolan. Edward's growths are really good, and anything he is lacking can be made up with a bit of bexp once he's capped SK, SP, and Health. By the time you get to the endgame he'll have capped all his stats outside of MAG and RES.