COVID-19 Discussion & Resources

Johann

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to stir up any more panic, but my college has decided to stay online for the rest of the semester. It's good that measures are being taken to ensure the health and safety of the students, as well as making sure that we have some semblance of consistency in our schedules from now until the end of the semester instead of worrying about when we would return or panicking that we might be at risk of contracting the illness. It also saves me gas money, but I'm not sure how to feel about that.

2 hours ago, IGdood said:

I'm currently a 2nd year resident physician in a hospital in a hot spot area and boy....shit is hitting the fan for us. 

Are you guys doing alright? How busy has it been?

3 hours ago, indigoasis said:

Are you guys doing alright? How busy has it been?

A few of my colleagues are on quarantine because sometimes patients don't come in with a clear cut picture saying "Oh damn you're definitely a COVID" and then next day Infection Control says "swab them!" and retrospectively we have to quarantine colleagues. 

Our isolation rooms are at capacity and more people are coming in.  We have to make the choice on whether to send people with mild symptoms or admit people with severe symptoms.  Those in between are the hardest because they can go either way with a lack of room.  We are prepared that next week the surge of patients ready to crash are going to flood our emergency department.  We have pulled everyone from nonessential services to act as a reserve force. 

Testing kits are limited and sometimes we can't pull the trigger to test everyone.  And yet fucking celebrities and athletes with no symptoms are able to get a hold of them? 

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488593-four-senators-sold-stocks-before-coronavirus-threat-crashed-market

Oh look--The Senators who received private briefings on COVOID-19 back in January and then went out and assured everyone there was no emergency + no need for the markets to get spooked and did nothing to prepare for 2 months sold their stocks  off right before they started to crash. (*Cough* Insider Trading *Cough*)

Goodness; we really do have a criminal syndicate where government problem-solving should be.

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/488593-four-senators-sold-stocks-before-coronavirus-threat-crashed-market

Oh look--The Senators who received private briefings on COVOID-19 back in January and then went out and assured everyone there was no emergency + no need for the markets to get spooked and did nothing to prepare for 2 months sold their stocks  off right before they started to crash. (*Cough* Insider Trading *Cough*)

Goodness; we really do have a criminal syndicate where government problem-solving should be.

Yeah, really disappointed in Feinstein. I just voted for her too.

It's not Feinstein's or Loeffler's holdings, it was their husbands, and probably a decision made by their advisers alone because everybody in that business pretty much signs on the circled line whatever their advisor recommends. Now, whether these men sold the stock with knowledge from their wife's briefing on COVID can only be speculation.

Ultimately, your party line will surely decide your answer, because everything is partisan in 2020. If we did care about the truth though, I guess the premiere questions to ask are whether their sales are in line with obvious trade decisions. As well as whether they sold ALL of their holdings or just all of a certain type that made sense at the time.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, XRay said:

Are people really that lazy to wash their hands?

I agree that hand-washing is better. But to do that, you need a sink, running water, and soap. Hand sanitizer can be a fallback in case you're without those. Say, you're going outside, or (in my case) you're working an outdoor job without consistent bathroom access.

On 3/18/2020 at 12:49 AM, XRay said:

For toilet paper though, it is not a big deal to not have any since you can just wash your booty after you poop. It is cleaner and cheaper too.

You have a point, but only in bathrooms that also have a bath/shower (i.e. neither domestic "half-baths", nor bathrooms in commercial spaces). The latter of which (given my current occupation) I find myself relying on.

On 3/18/2020 at 9:20 AM, Excellen Browning said:

I wonder if there's some sort of targeted campaign on facebook that's telling people that tp's about to run out. That's really the only thing that makes sense to me.

Honestly hoarding is a vicious cycle. Previous scarcity, plus anxiety about scarcity, makes people more prone to over-buy, which reinforces the scarcity. It can only really end when the supply outpaces the anxiety.

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

It's not Feinstein's or Loeffler's holdings, it was their husbands, and probably a decision made by their advisers alone because everybody in that business pretty much signs on the circled line whatever their advisor recommends. Now, whether these men sold the stock with knowledge from their wife's briefing on COVID can only be speculation.

According the article, those politicians held a classified meeting with Trump. If the meeting was out in the open, people probably might not care as much. Since those politicians have inside knowledge, it is possible they divulged that knowledge to their financial advisors. That would still constitute as insider trading because that knowledge was not out in public.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

According the article, those politicians held a classified meeting with Trump. If the meeting was out in the open, people probably might not care as much. Since those politicians have inside knowledge, it is possible they divulged that knowledge to their financial advisors. That would still constitute as insider trading because that knowledge was not out in public.

Exactly. Speculation. Just because somebody is theoretically capable of a crime doesn't mean they're guilty of it. 

This stupid pandemic derailed my quest for an associate's degree because campus shut down and classes may or may not be continued online. I've only been out of the house once in the past week since our spring break was suddenly switched from the first full week of April to this week. I was supposed to attend Philadelphia's Safari Zone event in Pokemon GO since I got a ticket, but that's been postponed. I was also supposed to go to Pittsburgh's St. Patrick's Day parade and attend an event at Duquesne University there the same day. Both got canceled. Sports are canceled or postponed too. So much crap got screwed up for me already because of this. 😞

I feel bad for my aunt and her boyfriend who both work at a hospital. And I'm concerned for my remaining living set of grandparents in Florida.

Part of me hates China for this because it started when some restaurant in Wuhan couldn't keep their shit clean. I know it's wrong to just hate like that though, so the other part of me wants to focus more on staying healthy and stuff than throwing blame around.

Btw, Trump is right that this virus is from China. Coronavirus itself is nothing new, but this particular strain is, and it started in China. It may not be the most polite or politically correct thing to call it Chinese virus, but it's certainly not incorrect or horrible to do so. Besides, Trump, like a lot of us, want to throw a lot of political correctness out the damn window.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Btw, Trump is right that this virus is from China. Coronavirus itself is nothing new, but this particular strain is, and it started in China. It may not be the most polite or politically correct thing to call it Chinese virus, but it's certainly not incorrect or horrible to do so. Besides, Trump, like a lot of us, want to throw a lot of political correctness out the damn window.

Asian Americans are being attacked over this shit and Trump calling it the China Virus certainly isn’t helping those matters. Speaking as a chinese American myself, I find the term just a little offensive because of the connotations it brings at the moment. Blame china or its government all you want but that’s no reason to be racist.

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Asian Americans are being attacked over this shit and Trump calling it the China Virus certainly isn’t helping those matters. Speaking as a chinese American myself, I find the term just a little offensive because of the connotations it brings at the moment. Blame china or its government all you want but that’s no reason to be racist.

Asian Americans being attacked is fucked up and I'm sorry to hear that that's happening. Whoever's doing it deserves to get sick and die themselves, most probably. But Trump isn't telling anyone to attack anybody, nor is he personally attacking anyone himself, he's just calling the virus by where it originated. Nothing more.

36 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Exactly. Speculation. Just because somebody is theoretically capable of a crime doesn't mean they're guilty of it. 

When people are losing jobs and the stock market is crashing, it does not look particularly good when your decisions or your financial advisors' decisions are highly suspect of insider trading, especially when those decisions are made within days of the classified meeting. At the very least, that warrants an investigation.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Asian Americans being attacked is fucked up and I'm sorry to hear that that's happening. Whoever's doing it deserves to get sick and die themselves, most probably. But Trump isn't telling anyone to attack anybody, nor is he personally attacking anyone himself, he's just calling the virus by where it originated. Nothing more.

No he isn’t but it’s the implications of the term that I’m talking about which is something he should not be saying. It’s just a little insensitive. All calling the virus by that name really does is perpetuate some harmful stereotypes about chinese americans in a way. I personally have not been affected by it thankfully but still the connotations remain. 

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah, I agree with this. I wasn't around at the time, but I'm pretty sure everyone called influenza the spanish flu in the 1910's and 20's. Even though that it is a racist name, I do think that it was generally called that, plus racism was far more outspoken in those days.

Now, however, racism is far less institutionalized, and everyone calls the COVID-19 either that or Coronavirus. So for Trump to go ahead and call it the China virus? That most certainly has racist connotations, especially since it comes from someone like Trump, who isn't well-known for his acceptance of other cultures.

Plus, If you're a politician, your job is to be politically correct, at least in today's day and age. 

8 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

No he isn’t but it’s the implications of the term that I’m talking about which is something he should not be saying. It’s just a little insensitive. All calling the virus by that name really does is perpetuate some harmful stereotypes about chinese americans in a way. I personally have not been affected by it thankfully but still the connotations remain. 

That's fair enough, I suppose.

I just hope this whole thing blows over or mostly blows over soon enough. I'd hate for summer vacation to be threatened. My home amusement park of Kennywood is bringing back the Old Mill, an attraction I've wanted to see return for YEARS (technically, it's never actually been removed, but starting in 2004, it was rethemed to Garfield and that was stupid. I like Garfield, but not in this ride). And I also planned to buy the PA Park pass so I could visit four different parks in the state of PA at the lowest possible cost (Kennywood, Sandcastle water park, Idle Wild & Soak Zone, and Dutch Wonderland).

What I also most fear is what I heard about the possibility of the virus popping up again in fall even if it mostly disappears over summer. That would derail yet another college semester for me. I put in so much effort already to actually succeed in college for once, I simply do NOT want to be forced to struggle yet again!

Edited by Anacybele

25 minutes ago, XRay said:

At the very least, that warrants an investigation.

No arguments there. I just don't care for witch hunts. Everything involving stocks sounds shady in this country, especially to the layman.

Edited by Glennstavos

Washington Post had a photo of Trump's notes I think when he first used Chinavirus, and it was called Coronavirus in notes but he crossed it out and put Chinavirus.  It is obvious he is doing it to focus blame on China.  It is an easy tactic, scapegoating a people or nation and it will work especially well with his base.  He wants to deflect any blame for himself (he gives himself 10/10 and says his response was perfect) even he (bolton) disbanded the Pandemic response team, and he downplayed the virus as practically nothing for months.  

Also pretty funny was Dr. Fauchi, had to cover his face to stifle a laugh when Trump said 'Deep state' in his public address today.  It must take Herculean willpower for those people around him to not laugh or roll their eyes when Trump says something stupid (which is usually multiple times a day).  

3 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Also pretty funny was Dr. Fauchi, had to cover his face to stifle a laugh when Trump said 'Deep state' in his public address today.  It must take Herculean willpower for those people around him to not laugh or roll their eyes when Trump says something stupid (which is usually multiple times a day).  

Dr. Fauci is the saving grace of this administration's response. A professional who is straight and intelligent with the answers.

I'm a bit amazed that for all the presidential contradicting he has done, and how much positive spotlight he attained, that Trump hasn't indirectly fired aka "resigned" the man. But, Trump must realize this is a serious crisis, and cannot get rid of the man who with all his strength is keeping public worry about the federal response to Coronavirus under control.

Fauci has become the indispensable professional, whose merit, at least in the extremely important task of PR at the moment, Trump cannot oppose. 

...Does the man deserve t-shirts in his image, rhetorically speaking? Or am I singing too many paeans in his honor?

-I know, I should save the singing for paeans and laments in honor of the victims, the nurses, the doctors, the rest of the medical chain, and every common human taking positive actions to assist in this crisis. DC better find a plot for a memorial or monument, probably the former technically speaking, in honor of every human belonging to one of those categories when all is done. We have no lack of memorials in honor of wars, why not one for doctors and nurses? Fighting a pandemic sounds like just as glorious a tragic cause. (But, the National Mall is full now, so I don't know where they should place it.)

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I got a lot to say to be honest but let’s get some quick things out of the way

1: Personally I don’t think Trump calling it Chinavirus was all that bad since if the news about China actually keeping news on the down low about the Coronavirus is true, they deserve to be called out for the pandemic, but I don’t think the president can say that it’s Chinas government fault for the virus directly so it’s the next best thing

2: People shouldn’t be fighting about politics in general right now since this virus is starting to kill people and we have no vaccine or cure, save that shit for after the world is less in immediate danger and show some basic empathy towards others during this virus

3: I don’t think the virus should honestly make people buy up every bit of toilet paper for months, maybe for a week but that’s it

What's it like with me? I’m terrified.

Since the virus is spreading I’m honestly terrified about the elderly since they are going to be vulnerable to the virus and I got a grandpa and grandma who I don’t want to catch the virus at all

My mother I’m just as worried about since I don’t want her to catch the virus

And as a paranoid person I’m going to go through every day worrying if any of my family caught the virus and praying that they stay healthy during this time

This honestly needs to be a time where the White House shouldn’t be infighting about people from different sides of the political spectrum and should honestly all agree “Hey let’s get this virus shit done and not spite each other” (For reference, there has to be a 2/3rd majority for the whites house to do a decision if I remember correctly)

I already had to lose a grandfather and my dog of 10+ years last year, I don’t want to lose anyone I know to this virus

Also admins if I said anything bad or offensive, please tell me and I’ll edit it

On 3/19/2020 at 2:36 PM, eclipse said:

(hey @Johann mind putting a blurb about this in the first post?)

Added. Hope you don't mind, but I also quoted what you said about misnaming the virus, to better ensure people know that it's the official mod position on that matter.

16 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

1: Personally I don’t think Trump calling it Chinavirus was all that bad since if the news about China actually keeping news on the down low about the Coronavirus is true, they deserve to be called out for the pandemic, but I don’t think the president can say that it’s Chinas government fault for the virus directly so it’s the next best thing

The problem with calling it that is that it puts the blame on ALL people of China, or Chinese descent. There's no distinguishing the government, and it's very ineffectual as a means of criticizing said government. That name spreads ill will towards Chinese people and nothing more. Don't use it.

16 minutes ago, AvatarofDiscord said:

2: People shouldn’t be fighting about politics in general right now since this virus is starting to kill people and we have no vaccine or cure, save that shit for after the world is less in immediate danger and show some basic empathy towards others during this virus

The government plays the most crucial role in preparation, education, response, recovery, relief, etc. Arguing about the failings in their response is absolutely necessary to ensure that the problems are addressed. This whole situation is testing our government, our economies, and effectively all other systems, and it's essential that we learn from whatever failings we see.

Edited by Johann

13 minutes ago, Johann said:

Added. Hope you don't mind, but I also quoted what you said about misnaming the virus, to better ensure people know that it's the official mod position on that matter.

The problem with calling it that is that it puts the blame on ALL people of China, or Chinese descent. There's no distinguishing the government, and it's very ineffectual as a means of criticizing said government. That name spreads ill will towards Chinese people and nothing more. Don't use it.

The government plays the most crucial role in preparation, education, response, recovery, relief, etc. Arguing about the failings in their response is absolutely necessary to ensure that the problems are addressed. This whole situation is testing our government, our economies, and effectively all other systems, and it's essential that we learn from whatever failings we see.

1: I understand that it could sound like it puts blame on the Chinese people, but honestly I think only the most extreme of the right would blame everyone Chinese for the virus, however I could be wrong and if I am I apologize as I wouldn’t personally say Chinavirus, but I would blame the Chinese government for this epidemic

2: I understand that, I was referring to others not in government who are arguing about their side about how the government is doing so far

I also was referring to those in congress who would veto an idea on the basis of the opposition side said it if that is still going on right now

Arguing about how to fix this mess would be exempt from what I was talking about