COVID-19 Discussion & Resources

Johann

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bill passed the House despite protests from a GOP dipshit.  Thank goodness.  

America and Trump's perfect 10/10 preparedness and response leads the world in Coronavirus cases surpassing China despite having 1/5 of their population.  

Boris Johnson?  The British Trump?  I wish I could say I had sympathy, no I don't.  Deniers in power have cost many lives and the disease to spread, fuck them.  

7 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

America and Trump's perfect 10/10 preparedness and response leads the world in Coronavirus cases surpassing China despite having 1/5 of their population.  

To be fair, China is already past their peak load of cases, so their cases are starting to die down. We are still not at peak yet, and it would be super embarrassing if we somehow peaked higher.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

...wear a mask(don’t get me started on the irresponsible info I’ve seen telling people not to wear masks or only to wear one if you think you have the virus. What!?) ...

Okay, I have to address this.

If you are an ordinary person and don't have the virus, DO NOT BUY MASKS.

The most important reason for this is that there is a shortage of them, at least in the USA. Any ordinary person buying up masks is preventing medical professionals from getting the equipment they need, and a doctor or nurse getting COVID-19 is far worse than your average Joe getting it. Every sick healthcare professional is an increased strain on the healthcare system.

The other reason is that it's unlikely to protect you. If you're following social distancing, keeping back at least 1 metre (WHO recommendation) from others, having a mask on isn't going to make you much safer. People wearing masks are also likely to have a sense of increased security, so are more likely to think it's okay to ignore those recommendations, putting others at risk. Lastly, the majority of people aren't trained healthcare professionals and thus aren't likely to take appropriate precautions when removing and disposing of used masks. If you touch a used mask with your fingers as you take it off, it's basically as though you never had it on in the first place.

In short, don't do it. Instead, obey stay-at-home and social distancing orders, and wash your hands.

(If you have the virus, the equation changes - you wearing a mask dramatically lowers your spit droplets' ability to go anywhere, and it doesn't matter if you contaminate yourself as you take it off, because you already have the virus.)

2 hours ago, XRay said:

To be fair, China is already past their peak load of cases, so their cases are starting to die down. We are still not at peak yet, and it would be super embarrassing if we somehow peaked higher.

Doesn't that just make it much worse though?  China already past their peak and was the first one with the virus, yet the US who is on the rise and hasn't reached peak yet has already surpassed China in total cases.  

24 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Doesn't that just make it much worse though?  China already past their peak and was the first one with the virus, yet the US who is on the rise and hasn't reached peak yet has already surpassed China in total cases.  

I think the numbers are referring to current active cases. It does not count cases that resulted in death or recovered. It is still pretty bad to have more current cases than China, but it could be worse.

What makes our numbers unacceptable more than anything is having two whole months of prep time that China did not have. As well as the massive disparity in population, but I wouldn't get too attached to our own numbers while the thousands are still piling up. Claims that we could have avoided the virus 100% are overly optimistic, but being underequipped on testing or respiratory equipment, as well as plans for how a lockdown should look if we had to? That's totally on our leadership. Every state was left to fend for themselves, it felt like.

Edit: Also on that final note, I wish our president would quit getting into pissing matches with governors who were mean to him. This isn't about manners, as he claims. Signing off on requested aid isn't volunteer work, it's his paid-for job.

Edited by Glennstavos

6 hours ago, XRay said:

I think on t he global politics thread, not this one, someone said "want to bet the US will have a higher number of cases than China" back when it was almost a china exclusive problem. We dismissed as laughably improbable...It's baffling how quickly something can turn from impossible the probable. Super embarrassing is definitely the term for it.

5 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Okay, I have to address this.

If you are an ordinary person and don't have the virus, DO NOT BUY MASKS.

The most important reason for this is that there is a shortage of them, at least in the USA. Any ordinary person buying up masks is preventing medical professionals from getting the equipment they need, and a doctor or nurse getting COVID-19 is far worse than your average Joe getting it. Every sick healthcare professional is an increased strain on the healthcare system.

The other reason is that it's unlikely to protect you. If you're following social distancing, keeping back at least 1 metre (WHO recommendation) from others, having a mask on isn't going to make you much safer. People wearing masks are also likely to have a sense of increased security, so are more likely to think it's okay to ignore those recommendations, putting others at risk. Lastly, the majority of people aren't trained healthcare professionals and thus aren't likely to take appropriate precautions when removing and disposing of used masks. If you touch a used mask with your fingers as you take it off, it's basically as though you never had it on in the first place.

In short, don't do it. Instead, obey stay-at-home and social distancing orders, and wash your hands.

(If you have the virus, the equation changes - you wearing a mask dramatically lowers your spit droplets' ability to go anywhere, and it doesn't matter if you contaminate yourself as you take it off, because you already have the virus.)

The fallacy there is that you don't know if you have the virus or not for two weeks.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think on t he global politics thread, not this one, someone said "want to bet the US will have a higher number of cases than China" back when it was almost a china exclusive problem. We dismissed as laughably improbable...It's baffling how quickly something can turn from impossible the probable. Super embarrassing is definitely the term for it.

I think that China's numbers are higher than what they're saying.  Just like how the general death toll worldwide will most likely be higher, because I doubt that the coroners have time to run a test on every single person that drops dead from pneumonia.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

As long as our peak cases do not reach a quarter of their peak cases, I would say our efforts will be a success, and it would be a strong rebuke to claims that democracies are less able to respond to such emergencies. However, with how incompetent Trump is, I am a little worried that there is a strong chance that our peak cases will go far higher than a quarter of their peak cases. Our population is four times smaller and more spread out, so we should have an edge in keeping numbers down, but I do not have confidence in this administration to do what is necessary and right.

I am seeing an extreme lack of mention of South Korea, a democracy that from what we currently know did a pretty damn good job flattening its curve, in this thread.

If we really must get into a pissing match about democracies being more or less able than China to control a pandemic (which I'd rather not because it doesn't actually help us), why the fuck aren't we talking about South Korea? All the more reasons to test as many people as we can.

9 hours ago, Lewyn said:

In China the problem was mostly limited due to the lockdown. The US is really trailing behind with regards to that.

Edit: I should say that the way South Korea limited the spread was with lots and lots of testing, right from the start, and isolating anyone who tests positive. The US is really behind on that as well

Edited by Excellen Browning

The southern states are going to start exploding with cases soon and Trump is going to swoop in like a goddamn hero and give them everything they need because they're nice to him and will re-elect him.

That's not even an exaggeration/hyperbole at this point.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

I am seeing an extreme lack of mention of South Korea, a democracy that from what we currently know did a pretty damn good job flattening its curve, in this thread.

If we really must get into a pissing match about democracies being more or less able than China to control a pandemic (which I'd rather not because it doesn't actually help us), why the fuck aren't we talking about South Korea? All the more reasons to test as many people as we can.

Don't even have to go as far as South Korea. There's a whole other China that responded really well in the form of Taiwan.

9 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

If we really must get into a pissing match about democracies being more or less able than China to control a pandemic (which I'd rather not because it doesn't actually help us)

It does not help us in terms of fighting the disease, but it absolutely helps us in terms of foreign policy and restoring legitimacy to a liberal world order and democratic world leadership. If people think an American-lead world is bad, a Sino-Russian-lead world would be absolutely worse.

8 hours ago, Crysta said:

The southern states are going to start exploding with cases soon and Trump is going to swoop in like a goddamn hero and give them everything they need because they're nice to him and will re-elect him.

8 hours ago, Excellen Browning said:

On the other hand, blue states will probably be left to fend for themselves, as is happening right now with New York

Yeah, I would not be surprised if that would be the case. Hopefully, it would mean moderates would back the Democrats in the upcoming election if that happens.

Edited by XRay

9 hours ago, Crysta said:

Sad but true. Although it appears he’s dropping the ball on Michigan, and that’s a swing state he just BARELY won where Biden is outperforming Hillary, so we’ll see. Also—Florida is about to get hot. (Major outbreak starting after all the moron college kids who decided COVID wasn’t going to stop them from hitting Miami Beach for spring break became spreaders)

32 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Sad but true. Although it appears he’s dropping the ball on Michigan, and that’s a swing state he just BARELY won where Biden is outperforming Hillary, so we’ll see. Also—Florida is about to get hot. (Major outbreak starting after all the moron college kids who decided COVID wasn’t going to stop them from hitting Miami Beach for spring break became spreaders)

Same happened where I live.

---

Government: New rule! From now on no bars will be open! They'll close Friday night!

A ton of people: Wait does that mean we can all get together and DO LOCKDOWN PARTIES on Friday night! 

Government: Wait-No! That's not what we meant!

We're now 2 weeks later and some of those people kids are in Instensive care.

The good news: Our state is attempting to implement some sort of mandatory quarantine on people flying in, and is talking about restricting interisland travel.
The bad news: Honor system on the quarantine.  I wish I was joking.

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

The fallacy there is that you don't know if you have the virus or not for two weeks.

Can you read? There is a shortage of masks for people who actually need them. Your friend is wrong, and by agreeing with them, you are wrong too.

I'm not even going to go in to all the ways that wearing a mask doesn't actually protect you.

With regards to stats they show deaths and recovered, so indeed overall US has already surpassed China. Of course China could be lying, but the communism vs democracy thing isn't an issue here. That China is an authoritarian regime means they can forcibly lock down wherever.  Though they are also led by someone with more than half a brain.

Trump on the Michigan governer. That young woman is over her head she doesn't know what she's doing. 

Of course everything Trump does regarding this will be to benefit himself he has no care for human life other than himself and possibly his hellspawn.

19 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The good news: Our state is attempting to implement some sort of mandatory quarantine on people flying in, and is talking about restricting interisland travel.
The bad news: Honor system on the quarantine.  I wish I was joking.

I think the honor system is fine. If I go outside right now, the cops are not going to stop me and question what I am doing, as long as I am not doing something dumb like hosting a party or something. I have faith that the average American is civilized enough to follow instructions and take care of themselves and their community.

19 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Can you read? There is a shortage of masks for people who actually need them. Your friend is wrong, and by agreeing with them, you are wrong too.

I'm not even going to go in to all the ways that wearing a mask doesn't actually protect you.

This is partially a matter of culture. In Asia, even if their medical staff does not have enough face masks, you will be reprimanded for not wearing a face mask in public if you are a civilian.

If the mask does not actually offer some form of protection, then the medical community would not need them.

As long as the person is not hoarding masks. I would leave the decision of whether the person should buy and use a mask up to themselves. The CDC and WHO recommends no mask if you are healthy and not working with the elderly and health compromised people, while Asian countries who took the brunt of the outbreak advocate more people wearing them.

1 minute ago, XRay said:

I think the honor system is fine. If I go outside right now, the cops are not going to stop me and question what I am doing, as long as I am not doing something dumb like hosting a party or something. I have faith that the average American is civilized enough to follow instructions and take care of themselves and their community.

We have enough issues with people NOT following signs that say "do not enter", and this was before the quarantine happened.  Now?  They're paying money to come here, and I doubt they booked a two-week vacation.  So yeah.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

We have enough issues with people NOT following signs that say "do not enter", and this was before the quarantine happened.  Now?  They're paying money to come here, and I doubt they booked a two-week vacation.  So yeah.

Hm... Well, I guess that is an issue. Do fines and jail time work?