COVID-19 Discussion & Resources

Johann

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

Gotta wonder if the rest of the world is fraught with "COVID Deniers" who lash out at government protections because they don't believe in the danger. Thank God for the US of A.

Well depends if those other countries either have a major party equipped by a huge media machine denying Covid, or at least the seriousness of it.  We've become the country of anti science, anti education (a lot of Republicans believe colleges are liberal brainwashing institutes) and thus incredibly lacking in knowledge, ability to think for ourselves, and easy to manipulate and control.  

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Gotta wonder if the rest of the world is fraught with "COVID Deniers" who lash out at government protections because they don't believe in the danger. Thank God for the US of A.

In Japan it feels like the government seems to be a COVID Denier. My girlfriend is currently sick with a fever and wants to get tested but they're refusing to let her. She works in a school where she interacts with dozens of children daily, so knowing if she had contracted it is kind of important.

On 6/28/2020 at 5:54 AM, Glennstavos said:

This is happening around the world, yes. 

With July 4th being tomorrow, I hope people stay at home, and not like these idiots at Mount Rushmore.

If you must gather, try gathering online via Skype, Facebook, Discord, Second Life, etc. You can also all order the same food items or order from the same restaurant to simulate that eating together feeling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Schools reopening are a disaster in the US.  Those that opened many had to close cause of rapid spread of virus.  A lot doing remote learning, some are doing hybrid learning.  This is going to be very damaging particularly to younger children who especially need in person instruction, and people with learning disabilities.  However we are no better off than we were when the nation shut down.  Just sad.

• 2 weeks later...

I was praying this would never catch on, but the herd immunity fanatics have come out in response to school outbreak stories. People saying we should just infect all kids and young adults to end quarantine sooner. Rip off the bandaid of watching loved ones die so that we can make our corporate overlords money sooner. Do they realize that making our country an even hotter bed for the virus would stunt international tourism for decades? Nobody from clean countries will want to live, visit, or work here. We can't run this damned country without immigrants. Furthermore, it gives the virus a place to adapt and evolve into new strains, which could create the next outbreak - COVID-21. It would never end.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, just thinking about how people in Brazil have been behaving, in spite of over 130k deaths, quarantine and social distancing is nothing but an illusion. People don't care anymore - the anticipation of a vaccine has made folks sure that everything is normal again.

Schools reopening is just a matter of time. Fuck my life as a teacher

1 minute ago, Яei Яei said:

You know, just thinking about how people in Brazil have been behaving, in spite of over 130k deaths, quarantine and social distancing is nothing but an illusion. People don't care anymore - the anticipation of a vaccine has made folks sure that everything is normal again.

Schools reopening is just a matter of time. Fuck my life as a teacher

Well Oxford has just pulled the vaccine that looked promising due to some unforeseen side effects. So future isn't looking too promising on that front. Could be worse though. At least they're willing to take a vaccine!

Just now, Jotari said:

Well Oxford has just pulled the vaccine that looked promising due to some unforeseen side effects. So future isn't looking too promising on that front. Could be worse though. At least they're willing to take a vaccine!

But the thing is - the news of a vaccine on the horizon is giving people the incentive needed to not even wear masks in public spaces. It is like there is a vaccine already.

Of course, there are COVID-truthers, specially those in power. But still... not an optimistic outlook.

5 hours ago, Яei Яei said:

But the thing is - the news of a vaccine on the horizon is giving people the incentive needed to not even wear masks in public spaces. It is like there is a vaccine already.

Yeah. I think a lot of people need to be told that a vaccine isn't a cure that may swoop in a critical moment and save somebody's life. It's preventative care. And I doubt most of us will have access in a timely manner.

But most anti-maskers in the US are one of these three people:

1. I understand masks help. But they make me look uncool in front of friends. And I'm out in public a lot these days.
  2. COVID isn't real
  3. I submit my life to God's will.

• 3 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 10:27 AM, Glennstavos said:

I was praying this would never catch on, but the herd immunity fanatics have come out in response to school outbreak stories. People saying we should just infect all kids and young adults to end quarantine sooner. Rip off the bandaid of watching loved ones die so that we can make our corporate overlords money sooner. Do they realize that making our country an even hotter bed for the virus would stunt international tourism for decades? Nobody from clean countries will want to live, visit, or work here. We can't run this damned country without immigrants.

Months ago, I was concerned about the MAGA crowd holding "COVID Parties" or coughing in the faces of strangers as some new kind of death cult. But I really should have been concerned about our federal government taking the side of the virus. "Death Cult" would have been underselling the situation. There is no horror dystopian fiction that comes close to the Trump Administration's handling of the pandemic.

Furthermore, it gives the virus a place to adapt and evolve into new strains, which could create the next outbreak - COVID-21. It would never end.

One of these days I got to learn to shut my fucking mouth

• 3 months later...

I am getting my vaccine tomorrow! Just a reminder that if you live in California, I think everyone is eligible for vaccines now. And if we keep up our efforts to wear masks and vaccinate, we should be fully reopened by June 15 I think. I think we still might need to wear masks after that date, but things should mostly be back to normal by then.

And here is the link to California's vaccine scheduling/booking and they give you some options to choose from:

https://covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/

I made an appointment for mine via Walgreens:

https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/vaccination/covid-19?ban=covid_vaccine_landing_schedule

Edited by XRay

• 7 months later...

I was planning on studying in Africa next year, but the omicron variant was giving me pause. But now it seems like it doesn't even make a differnce. Any new variant is going to spread like wildfire no matter where it starts.

Edited by Jotari

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

I was planning on studying in Africa next year, but the omicron variant was giving me pause. But now it seems like it doesn't even make a differnce. Any new variant is going to spread like wildfire no matter where it starts.

Well, it's kind of given that this virus will mutate into another variant. As for how it fits into the grand scheme of things; the important thing to remember is that nobody knows, at this point, but several countries have issued travel bans against South Africa.

58 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Well, it's kind of given that this virus will mutate into another variant. As for how it fits into the grand scheme of things; the important thing to remember is that nobody knows, at this point, but several countries have issued travel bans against South Africa.

My main point is that it doesn't really matter that its in South Africa (or rather southern Africa as thats what pertains to me), as within a month and a half it'll be equally speead everywhere. Travel bans are good in theory, but in practice the world is much too globamized for them to really work.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

My main point is that it doesn't really matter that its in South Africa (or rather southern Africa as thats what pertains to me), as within a month and a half it'll be equally speead everywhere. Travel bans are good in theory, but in practice the world is much too globamized for them to really work.

I get where you coming from, it's just that we're at the point where any solution that could work (outside of finding something that actively kills off the virus) gets mired by the fact that a large swath of modern society can't function under being quarantined or being unproductive for several weeks at a time. 

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

Well, a politician in Illinois is pushing a bill that will hold the unvaccinated responsible for all their medical costs if they're hospitalized over COVID. Whether or not that the general public agrees with this remains to be seen.

That is so quintessentially American.

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

Well, NYC is trying to vaccine everyone who has a job as Christmas approaches; but this isn't exclusive to America, considering that Germany is trying to deny the unvaccinated from unnecessarily going out in public.

I think I've heard that it's Austria that's going most hard core with forcing people to get it