COVID-19 Discussion & Resources

Johann

5 hours ago, Crysta said:

I would not be surprised if California ends up in far less dire straits than Florida in the next 2-3 weeks because of that.

They got confirmed spread in Miami. And they didn’t close their public beaches; those numbers are going to go up with no social mitigation buffer to flatten the curve. And it’s where all the retirees go, so on top of that they’ve got an extra-large population of vulnerable seniors that’s gonna get exposed. Florida is going to be a disaster 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, FrostyFireMage said:

Australia has the advantage of being about 1-2 weeks behind everyone else and have already introduced some tough restrictions and lockdown policies. Our infection rates have started to decrease but I'm worried this is just the lull before the storm, especially considering how appalling airport health regulations are right now 

Australia's population centers are so isolated from each other, if they could shut down domestic air travel then a number of cities could be confidently deemed virus free.

On 3/28/2020 at 4:15 PM, eclipse said:

The good news: Our state is attempting to implement some sort of mandatory quarantine on people flying in, and is talking about restricting interisland travel.
The bad news: Honor system on the quarantine.  I wish I was joking.

What are your thoughts on this? https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490576-hawaii-residents-visitors-quarantine-5000-fine-prison-time

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

1. Please link a newspaper next time - like our own (which has put all the coronavirus articles outside of its paywall).
2. Yes, some idiot was caught despite that.
3. So therefore, a deterrent will not stop "willfully stupid".

If it wasn't apparent by other laws in general, it'll cut down on the behavior, but it won't guarantee it.  With how contagious this virus is, we're going to need something closer to the latter.

6 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Yo @Rezzy; you’re on the frontlines as a healthcare provider right now. What are you seeing and how are you holding up?

There's 3 confirmed cases at my hospital plus one previously where the patient sadly passed away.  No visitors allowed at the hospital a d all elective surgeries are postponed at least one month.

I'm currently seeing patients with wound and infections, and there has been a call in Illinois for all physicians to become corona doctors, regardless of specialty.

54 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Yo @Rezzy; you’re on the frontlines as a healthcare provider right now. What are you seeing and how are you holding up?

45 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

There's 3 confirmed cases at my hospital plus one previously where the patient sadly passed away.  No visitors allowed at the hospital a d all elective surgeries are postponed at least one month.

I'm currently seeing patients with wound and infections, and there has been a call in Illinois for all physicians to become corona doctors, regardless of specialty.

This is happening here in Houston too in the Texas Medical Center (TMC) area. Visitation is completely shut down with only 3 kinds of exceptions. The elective surgeries are halted till May. The ICU hit full capacity about 2 weeks ago and more hospitals are reporting they are full in the TMC area. NBC news did an article with Methodist and an interview with staff which shows how some information isn't making headlines yet. Houston is going to start looking like New York possibly. Funeral Homes are having hard time with transportation of the deceased. More and more are getting turned away. This information is from a primary source btw. They recently start passing out masks to us and instructed us to wear them at all times plus our hospital (possibly others as well) entered lockdown. Meaning anyone coming in has to get screened every time you enter. 

Hey Rezzy, how is your hospital doing with the workers who were stationed in the ORs? Are they forcing them to use PTO to make up their 40 a week or just suspending them? I'm asking cause I wanna know how differently we are reacting. I feel bad for the staff getting stretched thin 😞

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Damn. Stay safe. They at least got enough PPE and facemasks for the doctors out there? (My cousin is an ER physician working with COVID patients; NJ/NY is so hot right now they’re reusing old masks and using bandanas as homemade substitutes)

Edited by Shoblongoo

40 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

This is happening here in Houston too in the Texas Medical Center (TMC) area. Visitation is completely shut down with only 3 kinds of exceptions. The elective surgeries are halted till May. The ICU hit full capacity about 2 weeks ago and more hospitals are reporting they are full in the TMC area. NBC news did an article with Methodist and an interview with staff which shows how some information isn't making headlines yet. Houston is going to start looking like New York possibly. Funeral Homes are having hard time with transportation of the deceased. More and more are getting turned away. This information is from a primary source btw. They recently start passing out masks to us and instructed us to wear them at all times plus our hospital (possibly others as well) entered lockdown. Meaning anyone coming in has to get screened every time you enter. 

Hey Rezzy, how is your hospital doing with the workers who were stationed in the ORs? Are they forcing them to use PTO to make up their 40 a week or just suspending them? I'm asking cause I wanna know how differently we are reacting. I feel bad for the staff getting stretched thin 😞

I'm a physician who's not employed by the hospital directly, but I imagine they're making them use PTO for now.  I know none nurses and such have been getting laid off, though.

27 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Damn. Stay safe. They at least got enough PPE and facemasks for the doctors out there? (My cousin is an ER physician working with COVID patients; NJ/NY is so hot right now they’re reusing old masks and using bandanas as homemade substitutes)

I tried ordering more masks 5 weeks ago, but they cancelled my order and said they were out of stock, so I'm having to reuse my masks.

46 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

reusing old masks and using bandanas as homemade substitutes

That reminds me, instead of telling people to not wear facemasks, would a better policy be to tell people to use homemade face masks so healthcare workers can have access to medical face masks?

Encouraging people to wear homemade face mask while banning the sale of medical face masks would make the policy seem less draconian than outright banning the sale of facemasks, and it would be better than the current policy of limiting face mask purchase per person to preserve a supply of face masks for healthcare workers.

51 minutes ago, XRay said:

That reminds me, instead of telling people to not wear facemasks, would a better policy be to tell people to use homemade face masks so healthcare workers can have access to medical face masks?

Encouraging people to wear homemade face mask while banning the sale of medical face masks would make the policy seem less draconian than outright banning the sale of facemasks, and it would be better than the current policy of limiting face mask purchase per person to preserve a supply of face masks for healthcare workers.

Thing is, we don't know if the random person on the street has serious underlying health issues.  I agree that those that aren't in a high-risk category should leave those masks for medical professionals.  But with no way of either of us knowing just by looking at someone. . .might be better NOT to be judgmental in this situation.

29 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Thing is, we don't know if the random person on the street has serious underlying health issues.  I agree that those that aren't in a high-risk category should leave those masks for medical professionals.  But with no way of either of us knowing just by looking at someone. . .might be better NOT to be judgmental in this situation.

I am not saying people should be judgemental, and I am pretty sure I mentioned throughout the thread that I am okay with people deciding for themselves whether they should buy a face mask. What I am saying is that the government could have given a better message or response in regards to the face mask shortage. A bandana probably is not as effective as face masks, but encouraging people to use bandanas or other homemade measures instead of face masks could help with the shortage situation until we can get face masks available for everyone.

4 minutes ago, XRay said:

I am not saying people should be judgemental, and I am pretty sure I mentioned throughout the thread that I am okay with people deciding for themselves whether they should buy a face mask. What I am saying is that the government could have given a better message or response in regards to the face mask shortage. A bandana probably is not as effective as face masks, but encouraging people to use bandanas or other homemade measures instead of face masks could help with the shortage situation until we can get face masks available for everyone.

Our local fabric stores were flooded, because people will sew their own.  Me?  That's what my old shirts are for - way cheaper, and they'll look cool once I get them done.

Just now, eclipse said:

Our local fabric stores were flooded, because people will sew their own.  Me?  That's what my old shirts are for - way cheaper, and they'll look cool once I get them done.

Yeah, shirts work too. It does not have to be a bandana that we see in the store. As long as the material is something breathable but can help limit the spread, it would probably help. Towels, beanies, socks, etc. should all help to some degree. Might not be as effective as face masks, but it is something.

This is an opinion piece from the New York Times, but it did cite studies and a researcher.

19 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, shirts work too. It does not have to be a bandana that we see in the store. As long as the material is something breathable but can help limit the spread, it would probably help. Towels, beanies, socks, etc. should all help to some degree. Might not be as effective as face masks, but it is something.

This is an opinion piece from the New York Times, but it did cite studies and a researcher.

Found the site with the mask.

I have a bunch of measurements to do, but I should be able to make this easily enough.  It's gonna look worse than usual since I'm eschewing the sewing machine, but it's better than nothing.  Thanks!

Most people here probably don't take what Trump says seriously, but just in case ignore is repeated babbling about hydroxychloroquine.  There is no substantial evidence supporting its claims and it has bad side effects and can make things worse.  Most medical professionals are against it at this time.  

Another thing, one of the many reasons religions are bad are what some pastors are doing now.  Holding large congregations in church.  These god fearing/loving people are infecting and killing and repercussions need to be much more severe. 

Note that another thing I will warn you on in this topic is attempting to make this political.  This virus is a worldwide issue now.  Take the politics to their respective threads.

I guess I am right in the middle of one hot spots. I guess that's a consequence of living near LAX. I'm lucky to not have gotten sick and still have my job. Work is really light, but still going on. A lot of people my age rely on part-time jobs and contract work. They are getting screwed. I feel real lucky to have a full-time job right now.

I definitely agree that there is a pretty clear spike in racism related incidents lately in the United States with all the news reports going around. Sacramento seems to have lucked out so far and there has not been any reported racism related crimes here yet, but we are not free of racism either (the article is kind of old, but I have not heard of any hate crimes recently in Sac yet). My close friend works part time as a merchandise stocker and he got a rude virus remark from a customer, but my friend is not even yellow! He is Cambodian, so far darker than my East Asian skin tone.

If it offers any comfort, while there is racism and prejudice everywhere, we do have a robust government and institutions in place to fight discrimination as well as tolerance and openness being a part of our core traditional values (at least for the liberal and moderate states). It is not good to be a black person in China for example, as many of them are kicked out of hotels and apartments despite testing negative for the virus. McDonald's had to step in and incorporate diversity and inclusion training after an incident where black customers are turned awayEven in India, you are not safe from discrimination even if you are Indian, and healthcare workers also get attacked.

Edited by XRay

That's... Incredibly naive, and completely ignores the big discrimination lawsuits of the last several years. Or do I need to remind you that a christian can have a priest by their side when they're executed, but a muslim can't have an imam. Or that a damn baker can refuse to bake a cake for someone, just because they're gay? Or that discrimination statutes in the US are generally very weak?

11 hours ago, XRay said:

I definitely agree that there is a pretty clear spike in racism related incidents lately in the United States with all the news reports going around. Sacramento seems to have lucked out so far and there has not been any reported racism related crimes here yet, but we are not free of racism either (the article is kind of old, but I have not heard of any hate crimes recently in Sac yet). My close friend works part time as a merchandise stocker and he got a rude virus remark from a customer, but my friend is not even yellow! He is Cambodian, so far darker than my East Asian skin tone.

Honestly the whole yellow thing has always confused me. Asians of any sort don't look even remotely yellow to me. Then again white people don't look all that white either and most blacks are definitely more a dark brown. But still at least those two colour classifications have some semblance of accuracy. Yellow seems as arbitrary as pink to my eyes.

11 hours ago, XRay said:

India has long been considered the most racist country in the world (primarily at other Indians) so that's not altogether surprising.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Honestly the whole yellow thing has always confused me. Asians of any sort don't look even remotely yellow to me. Then again white people don't look all that white either and most blacks are definitely more a dark brown. But still at least those two colour classifications have some semblance of accuracy. Yellow seems as arbitrary as pink to my eyes.

I am not really sure how to describe my skin color scientifically now that you mention it. Some kind of light orange and tan mixed with pink, and some light yellow in certain areas? Yellow is a misnomer, but it is the best way to describe East Asian skin tone in simple terms. However, my skin tone and my friend's skin tone are definitely very different despite being both Asian. Being prejudice against East Asians is already bad enough, but my friend's skin tone is much darker than the typical East Asian skin tone, so it does not make sense to discriminate against him along with East Asians.

On 4/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, Anacybele said:

Sad news for Star Fox fans, the voice actor that did Peppy and Andross in Star Fox 64 passed away from the virus.

I saw a post about that on Twitter. I haven't played Star Fox, but Rick May was the voice for Soldier in TF2, a game that I have played. It's nonetheless sad for many fans.