MOTIVATE ME TO FINISH BREATH OF THE WILD

♠Soul♠

I've had the game for over a year, and I haven't beaten a single main dungeon...and barely any of the Shrines, for that matter. Most of the time, I just spend my time exploring and not doing anything concrete. I barely even play the game, nowadays, and it's like anywhere close to actually beaten. Part of me is just lazy, for some reason. And I don't get it. This game is just fucking wonderful. It could easily be the most perfect Zelda game, but it feels like it's lacking in something...

Maybe it's the lack of old tunes playing in the backround? I miss stuff like the Hyrule Field theme. I take it's part of the game's charm that music rarely plays constantly. I kind of miss the more traditional dungeons, whereas the Shrines are something very different and new to the Zelda series.

The Zelda game that's caught me the most is Twilight Princess. It's nowhere near as big as Breath of the Wild, but it still had a sort of magical charm for me. It stuck with me for years. I also feel games like OoT & MM had a special atmosphere to it. It's hard to describe.

IMO, the most fun area is the Gerudo desert, so you should check that out; some of the side quests there are super cool. It was also my favourite devine beast, and the first one that I finished. It's also one of the more narrative-pushed regions, more rich with culture than the other parts. (Plus the Molduga boss theme is pretty dang cool)

Fighting the Yiga clan is fun. I'd recommend doing a whole bunch of quests in the villages. Kakariko is really cool, Gerudo city ones are cool, I think a lot of the goron ones are cool, the rito village has its moments. The Zora's domain quests are cool but VERY time consuming, and Lurelin village has some really neat stuff too.

Tip: Bring bananas to the yiga clan base or you're goofed.

Other cool stuff you can do:

The master sword: Hard to get to, but there's some cool stuff in the area where you get it.

Being united in exposure with that big Korok dude whose name I can't remember right now. Pointless, but I found it to be one of the better easter eggs the game had.

Sand Seal Racing: might be just me, but I hecking loved doing these races over and over.

Tarrey town side quest; although I doubt you've done much in Akkala. This one can be time consuming, but I love building a city from the ground up. I think as a prerequsite, you have to own a house in Hateno, though.

Actually, Akkala in general is pretty cool.

LABRYNTHS: There's three by my count. One on an island near Robbie's lab, one at the very right corner of the map in hebra and one near the gerudo desert.

SELL YOUR SOUL TO THE DEVIL: One of two cool things about Hateno village is that there's a rock statue with a face in front of the village, (Perhaps you've seen them at other locations, too) this one has purple eyes and you can sell your soul to it! It's actually used to exchange between extra health via shrines and extra stamina via shrines, since you can't cap both.

Learn how to actually beat guardians: If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to try to do this (without ancient arrows) since it's really satisfying to beat a guardian with nothing but a pot lid.

Try fighting doing the fighting shrines (Minor/Middle/Major tests of strength) they're pretty fun.

EVENTIDE ISLAND: This is a super cool quest to do.

I get that this was a wall of text, but I hope it helped!

There is a reference to Twilight Princess near Lurelin village as part of a quest, too.

Edited by Benice

FINISH BREATH OF THE WILD! (I'm helping)

Honestly, you don't need to beat BoTW, even if you just run around shirtless setting everything on fire, as long as you have fun, there's no problem. However, if you legitimately do not enjoy playing the game, do not feel obligated to play it. It's just a game. 

In another few hours, the sun will rise. 

Ooh, speaking of the sun will rise, cook stuff when the blood moon happens! Your food gets insanely good! Cooking just a single apple boosts it to 5 or 6 points of health! MASTER CHEF LINK IS PRESENT FOR BATTLE! 

The best place to do this is probably Zora's domain, there;s a cooking pot near the shrine.

Yeah; Breath of the Wild is very different from a lot of more recent Zelda games. It's an attempt to rediscover what Zelda was originally supposed to be about: exploration. It probably has more in common with the original The Legend of Zelda than with games like Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and especially Skyward Sword (though it does have one thing in common with Skyward Sword that I fundamentally dislike: Link being right-handed when he's supposed to be the left-handed hero). 

As for the whole, "Lacking something", I think you might like this review; it probably explains why you feel the game is lacking something:

Getting side-tracked is okay; the game is built so that there's always something interesting in sight. If you want to do the dungeons, do the dungeons. I know that doesn't sound helpful, but if you want to do something in this game, you pretty much have to decide in your head to set that as your objective and not get side-tracked. 

Breath of the Wild gives you GIANT DRAGONS, of course you should finish it. How many other games let you chase after giant dragons? None, I tell you (or at least none that I've played).

BotW_Link_Racing_Dinraal.png?version=5eb

If you play Zelda primarily for dungeons, you honestly probably won't like this game as much.  The Divine Beasts are all pretty sub-par.  The shrines meanwhile have the issue of being far too short to properly develop their ideas.  

The primary strength of the game is all the sights to see, the exploration.  If you're not enjoying that enough to stay with the game, it's probably not worth it really.

32 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; Breath of the Wild is very different from a lot of more recent Zelda games. It's an attempt to rediscover what Zelda was originally supposed to be about: exploration. It probably has more in common with the original The Legend of Zelda than with games like Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and especially Skyward Sword (though it does have one thing in common with Skyward Sword that I fundamentally dislike: Link being right-handed when he's supposed to be the left-handed hero). 

As for the whole, "Lacking something", I think you might like this review; it probably explains why you feel the game is lacking something:

Getting side-tracked is okay; the game is built so that there's always something interesting in sight. If you want to do the dungeons, do the dungeons. I know that doesn't sound helpful, but if you want to do something in this game, you pretty much have to decide in your head to set that as your objective and not get side-tracked. 

I would watch the whole thing BUT SPOILERS. ),:

And it's basically an hour long.

But the basic idea: freedom. I understand it better...

16 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

If you play Zelda primarily for dungeons, you honestly probably won't like this game as much.  The Divine Beasts are all pretty sub-par.  The shrines meanwhile have the issue of being far too short to properly develop their ideas.  

The primary strength of the game is all the sights to see, the exploration.  If you're not enjoying that enough to stay with the game, it's probably not worth it really.

NO, IT IS WORTH IT.

48 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

FINISH BREATH OF THE WILD! (I'm helping)

Honestly, you don't need to beat BoTW, even if you just run around shirtless setting everything on fire, as long as you have fun, there's no problem. However, if you legitimately do not enjoy playing the game, do not feel obligated to play it. It's just a game. 

In another few hours, the sun will rise. 

NOBODY IS FORCING ME

I WANT TO FINISH IT. I LOVE ZELDA.

Just because a person struggles to get something done doesn't mean it isn't right for them, or that they aren't interested. Sometimes your goal is very much blocked by a lot of obsticles, and it makes it hard to see the big picture clearly. A lot of things that are good and healthy for us are hard to do naturally and without effort, and especially in this day and age of instant gratification. But, again, this doesn't mean that "forcing" ourselves is necessarily a bad thing.

I'm just lazy and poorly acostumed myself to never finishing anything, and this is most of my games.

2 minutes ago, Soul >8] said:

I would watch the whole thing BUT SPOILERS. ),:

Oh, yeah; spoilers. Right. My bad. Yeah; probably best to wait to complete the game, then watch it. But I do recommend it; it may be 50 minutes long, but his reviews are really good. 

22 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

The Divine Beasts are only weak compared to usual Zelda dungeons. They do have their own strengths. Each one has a different mechanism that shifts the layout of key parts of the dungeon in different ways; affecting multiple rooms. There's also a lot of creativity in how to gain access to them and how to navigate them. I will admit that there are big problems with the dungeons in Breath of the Wild; but they aren't 100% inferior to previous dungeons. 

As for Shrines, I see them as more akin to the secret puzzle rooms and such in previous Zelda games that usually rewarded a piece of heart. So, while they may be too short to fully develop their ideas, the same is true for those previous rooms, like that block puzzle room in Twilight Princess. 

If you need motivation...

If you don't finish Breath of the wild, I'll make a recorder orchestra arrangement of the 1812 overture and send it all across the world.

I just got around to beating BOTW in December and I had it since launch.  The thing that annoyed me with it was trying to find all the shrines it took me a long time and I ended up using a guide for some of them.  I will say it is closer to the first game in that you have to explore everything and wander around to find the dungeons.  

FINISH FIN-ISH! GO GO GOOOOOOOOO!

51 minutes ago, Soul >8] said:

I'm just lazy and poorly acostumed myself to never finishing anything, and this is most of my games.

I totally understand your frustrations at not finishing a game you generally enjoy, if with some issues, I've done that dozens of times myself. I'm really bad at it and have to force myself to completion, if I ever do. I even own a few games I've never played. 

I'm not sure what the normal solution is for this problem however. I just can't pin one down.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Breath of the Wild gives you GIANT DRAGONS, of course you should finish it. How many other games let you chase after giant dragons? None, I tell you (or at least none that I've played).

I wish the dragons did more though. Besides Naydra, they just fly around waiting to be shot at, right?

In my semi-creative musings of a Zelda Mode, I proposed making them the protectors of the Sacred Realm. In the universe where Link is playable, besides Naydra getting covered in Malice, they successfully protect the parallel dimension from the Calamity's corruption, it remains pure and does not need saving. My Zelda Mode alternate universe had the Champions and Divine Beasts doing their job, but the dragons failed and the Sacred Realm got corrupted. Zelda having been injured and Link doing the evil trapping, means she has to save the Sacred Realm and dragons, earning new magic powers in the process.

as someone who bought the wii u version on release like an idiot, bought the dlc for wii u like an idiot, then bought a switch, then re-bought the game for switch including the dlc

finish it, it's an great feeling to actually have completed it

i'm not going to sit here and tell you "wow the final boss is amazing" because you know by now he's a joke

BUT

what I did in both version was finish the game 100% (shrines, screw the dumb koroks) then explore forever in hard mode

Ask yourself this question: Do I actually enjoy playing this game? Don't be afraid to admit that you just might not like it.

If you answered "No," drop it. Don't force yourself to finish a game you don't enjoy, for whatever reason.

If you answered "Yes," your problem may be that you're too focused on feeling like you need to 'finish' it. Just play the game in whatever way you feel like and stop when you're not enjoying it anymore, regardless of if you've seen the credits or not. That's how I played it, I just went around doing my own thing, jumping over to whatever next caught my eye, and eventually I found myself at Hyrule Castle with all memories and all divine beasts cleared and thought to myself, "Yeah, it's time for this journey to end."

I said three years ago and I still believe today that Breath of the Wild is the best Zelda game, but not everyone will enjoy it. If you're one of those people, it's okay to let it go.

11 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh, yeah; spoilers. Right. My bad. Yeah; probably best to wait to complete the game, then watch it. But I do recommend it; it may be 50 minutes long, but his reviews are really good. 

The Divine Beasts are only weak compared to usual Zelda dungeons. They do have their own strengths. Each one has a different mechanism that shifts the layout of key parts of the dungeon in different ways; affecting multiple rooms. There's also a lot of creativity in how to gain access to them and how to navigate them. I will admit that there are big problems with the dungeons in Breath of the Wild; but they aren't 100% inferior to previous dungeons. 

As for Shrines, I see them as more akin to the secret puzzle rooms and such in previous Zelda games that usually rewarded a piece of heart. So, while they may be too short to fully develop their ideas, the same is true for those previous rooms, like that block puzzle room in Twilight Princess. 

Honestly, even with the shifting mechanisms, the Divine Beasts were just generally way too small to really be interesting.  It's a good idea in theory, but the game didn't use it nearly as well as it could have.

The portions where you gain access to them are... okay I guess.  I wasn't really talking about that when I was calling the dungeons sub-par though, since I don't consider it to be part of the dungeons themselves.  

As for the puzzle room-shrine comparison, the thing is the small puzzle rooms in past Zeldas weren't the majority of the dungeon content in the game.  They were cute little extras, not the primary focus.  Making them a primary focus really brings their weaknesses to the forefront.

while I have reached the end of the game, even I still haven't beaten the final boss. I've infiltrated the castle and everything, but I still haven't entered the final room.

Part of me is just like... I love this open world, and don't want to feel like it should be ending. But another part of me feels very disappointed about the idea that "I'll face this boss, but it won't save beyond that point anyway and there's no non-corrupted version of this world" and I think it'd make fighting ganon feel kind of pointless to me

I think what I love about this game is you have the freedom to play it however you want. Exploring is lots of fun to me and that's largely what I do, so I absolutely don't blame you for only feeling like exploring

I think I've got ONE argument for going through the dungeons, though.

Each dungeon gives you an ability, which can make exploring more convenient. The Dragon Roost dungeon (I know it's not Dragon Roost but I forget what the Rito place is called and I always call it dragon roost because of the theme lol) gives you the ability to launch yourself up with an airdraft and then glide further distances or reach higher points of land (part of its use can be to reach higher on a wall to climb and it'll cost less stamina to reach that height through the draft than through climbing). The other dungeons give you combat related skills so if you wanted to make combat easier on yourself then that could be a reason to go through those dungeons.

The game sort of lightly nudges you into going to the Zora folk first because they're closest once you unlock that part of the story, but I was dead set on finding the Rito because I loved the Rito tribe in the wind waker. I think I ended up lucky in that sense, because I think that gave me the ability to fly up for dungeons and areas that I think weren't intended to be tackled by the flying ability yet lol

Edited by Freohr Datia

1 hour ago, Freohr Datia said:

non-corrupted version of this world" and I think it'd make fighting ganon feel kind of pointless to me

Well I mean there is the escape the ganon fight glitch that's fun.  It's harder to pull off now, though.

11 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

I need motivation to continue with Ocarina of Time.

To be fair Zelda games were never my cup of tea.

I'm not really good in 3D action adventures, though I like the puzzles.

If you like more linear games, I'd try Skyward Sword; honestly my favourite zelda game by a decent shot, even over breath of the wild. I found Ocarina of Time very confusing at parts. Like the guy who complains about nobody understanding him and you have to give him a mushroom. Skyward has some great puzzles. Minish cap does too, but it's a bit evil to the player at times.

35 minutes ago, Benice said:

If you like more linear games, I'd try Skyward Sword; honestly my favourite zelda game by a decent shot, even over breath of the wild. I found Ocarina of Time very confusing at parts. Like the guy who complains about nobody understanding him and you have to give him a mushroom. Skyward has some great puzzles. Minish cap does too, but it's a bit evil to the player at times.

Skyward Sword was my first Zelda game (just because I found it for a low price when it was released).

... It was definitely not the best way to get introduced into this series.

The controls with the Wii mote were an absolute mess.

It was not possible to swing the sword properly.

For some reason it did not feature the classic controller.

The only Zelda game I finished, was A Link Between Worlds which was fine.

1 hour ago, Falcom Knight said:

Skyward Sword was my first Zelda game (just because I found it for a low price when it was released).

... It was definitely not the best way to get introduced into this series.

The controls with the Wii mote were an absolute mess.

It was not possible to swing the sword properly.

For some reason it did not feature the classic controller.

The only Zelda game I finished, was A Link Between Worlds which was fine.

Oof.

Welp.

Ignore me.