Religion.

Oguma

I also respectfully disagree. When you are born, you have no understanding of anything. How can you know what Atheism is? If a baby was born with understanding of religion, they would certainly choose a side for their own. Not sit down and go Goo-goo gaa-ga.

Same goes for any actual religion. You aren't born knowing who God is, who Buddha is, who any of them are. Not exactly fair to say a baby is born with understanding of terms the baby doesn't even know about.

No, without any input from others, a baby will learn directly from its surroundings. Almost no person in existence will EVER become religious without another person's input. At least, not in the way many people now would think of it.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Citrusman,

Atheism means you do not believe God exists. A baby does not believe in God, as he does not know what God is. Meaning, all are born atheist.

~MattLocke.

Is it fair to say that though? A baby has the choice when they get older. If the baby does not know who God is, how can you expect the baby to believe in Him? The baby is born religion-less. Right?

@ZXValaRevan-Of course, that is how to get a person a kick start.

Is this really a debate? XD

I couldn't care less about religion.

pretty much this. I dont even like to say "athiest" because the word itself sounds religious..

Citrusman,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but is Atheism not religion-less?

~MattLocke.

CGV,

How can you find atheist, meaning, disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings. Religious?

Edited by Blue Fox of Water

Is it fair to say that though? A baby has the choice when they get older. If the baby does not know who God is, how can you expect the baby to believe in Him? The baby is born religion-less. Right?

@ZXValaRevan-Of course, that is how to get a person a kick start.

Is this really a debate? XD

Exactly. A baby is born having never been told what God is, thus not believing in him.

Also, I'm going to state here, before I forget, or we continue. To me, seeing is not believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed anymore.

Essentially, you don't BELIEVE something that has been proven to be true. I don't BELIEVE that I'm in front of a computer, I know I am.

Citrusman,

~MattLocke.

I'm not sure....it is still a debate IMO.

Sorry, I gotta go, I'll answer tomorrow.

EDIT: Nevermind, Revan solved the riddle.

Atheism is a religion to me though...kinda.

*Leaves*

Edited by Citrusman

Citrusman,

~MattLocke.

CGV,

How can you find atheist, meaning, disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings. Religious?

Because not every religion follows a deity(s).

CGV, How can you find atheist, meaning, disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings. Religious?

I don't. The word itself just sounds religious to me, that's all. The "ism" throws me in that direction, I guess...

I don't. The word itself just sounds religious to me, that's all. The "ism" throws me in that direction, I guess...
Hmm., Makes sense, I suppose.

I don't have much to say on this topic anymore...

Death, can you call me if it gets interesting?

I don't have a religion. I'm not even atheist, because that implies I have a set of beliefs that follow a specific religion (in this care, the belief that there is no God). I guess the closest thing I am to anything would be Buddhism though.

Atheism is not a religion. If it's a religion, then you might as well also consider baldness a hair color. And atheism is not necessarily the positive belief that God does not exist. There are weak atheists that merely lack belief in a God.

Anyways, I am an atheist.

And I call those weak ones agnostic. "Maybe.. I.. I'm not sure, leave me alone!".

Well, agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive terms. Agnosticism is concerned with the idea that God is intrinsically unknowable, or at least that the claims of the metaphysical are currently not able to be properly solved. As such, it is possible to be an atheistic agnostic or even a theistic agnostic.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

Great, great. What did I told you guys? A debate would happen sooner or later. And sadly, very soon.

Anyways, I think it be better to know what religion backgrounds we all are from and give a little information about it and debunk some myths and stereotypes about religion, or the lack of the belief.

I'm a firm Agnostic. Religions with deities are based on faith, and faith alone. They are not based on proof - there's a reason religion is also called a faith. Thus, I hold that knowing whether there is a God is improvable and it is foolish to try or worry about it. I would rather create my set of morals from logic and be worried about following those, than blindly following any faith. However, I do hope there is some form of an afterlife, or rebirth. Religions that believe in such act like safety nets to put peoples minds at ease so they don't fear death. I don't need that, because I've already accepted that if in fact there is no afterlife, I'm gone from this world, so I'll just have to leave a big enough impression before I go.

One thing I will never do though, is call a person a fool for having faith. Faith is similar to hope, so I do not find it foolish. However I do find it foolish for anyone to try to prove their faith as fact.

I should note though, I was raised in the Roman Catholic faith, and was even confirmed.

Good time to write down who's a fanatic. I'm looking at you Mr. Spoon >:o

In all seriousness though, Spoon, don't make any more posts like that.

Hey...this topic is a great chance to write down who doesn't believe in God.

Yeah! Because as a Christian, we should put down and harass anyone who don't believe in our God! Good plan, Spoon! Couldn't think of a better way to embarrass our God!