Religion.

Oguma

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...I may as well prove that it isn't completely impossible though. And the suns age is very important since, since the bible says that god created the sun and moon after he created the dry land. The earths very first rock started around 4.6 billion years ago, so if the sun is older than that, I'm screwed.

The oldest rock or rocks on Earth, as an aggregate of minerals that have not undergone subsequent metamorphosis, are from the Archean Eon. Such rocks are only exposed on the surface in very few places.[1]

There is some controversy about the oldest rocks based on the oldest dated mineral zircon. Some of the oldest surface rock can be found in the Canadian Shield, Australia, Africa and in other more specific places around the world. The ages of these felsic rocks are generally between 2.5 and 3.8 billion years.

And..

The Sun's current main sequence age, determined using computer models of stellar evolution and nucleocosmochronology, is thought to be about 4.57 billion

Wiki is my friend.

Edited by Death

Here's what the Wiki says in one paragraph...

In the last decades of the 20th century geologists identified a few Hadean rocks from Western Greenland, Northwestern Canada and Western Australia. The oldest known rock formations (the Isua greenstone belt) comprise sediments from Greenland dated around 3.8 billion years ago somewhat altered by a volcanic dike that penetrated the rocks after they were deposited. Individual zircon crystals redeposited in sediments in Western Canada and the Jack Hills region of Western Australia ARE MUCH OLDER. The oldest dated zircons date from about 4400 Ma[1] - very close to the hypothesized time of the Earth's formation.

The data you got was the oldest rock formations. And the Earths formation was about 4.6 billion years ago.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Proving the existence of God is like proving that the universe was made by a drunken redneck. It can't be proven, it can't be disproved because of how "out there" it is. Really pathetic really.

I feel like I have already posted this..

Are you insinuating I didn't create the universe, when you know damn well I did?

Anyway, I am a Christian, as previously stated, Well--Deist. However, I am more open than most. I'll laugh at some things I "shouldn't" according to religion, and I'll make jokes I "shouldn't" is it TRUE that I shouldn't? Yes. Am I going to stop laughing? No.

Got to this thread late <_<

I am a Pastafarian, and apparently not the only one on this forum.

Actually I have never seen a forum with such a high amount of atheistic belief. I am used to being outnumbered on threads like these, which of course leads to lots of fun arguements. ^_^ . Though it's nice to see a lot of you are of like mind, it means there probably won't be any of the epic cerebral struggles of razor-wits I am so fond of....

Anyway, I'm a stuanch advocate of rational, supernatural-less view of the universe, thugh I am not a militant atheist, and dissagree heartily with there methods. I'm also a registered Bright, if that means anything to you.

Actually I have never seen a forum with such a high amount of atheistic belief. I am used to being outnumbered on threads like these, which of course leads to lots of fun arguements. ^_^ . Though it's nice to see a lot of you are of like mind, it means there probably won't be any of the epic cerebral struggles of razor-wits I am so fond of....

Anyway, I'm a stuanch advocate of rational, supernatural-less view of the universe, thugh I am not a militant atheist, and dissagree heartily with there methods. I'm also a registered Bright, if that means anything to you.

Can you cut down on the big words?

Can you cut down on the big words?

Try using a dictionary, wonderful things they are.

As for me, I am most certainly an Atheist. In the really world, I tolerate other religions; but, when I read debates on the internet, my opinion of religious people just drops like lead. That said, I have met plenty of good religious people in life.

Try using a dictionary, wonderful things they are.

As for me, I am most certainly an Atheist. In the really world, I tolerate other religions; but, when I read debates on the internet, my opinion of religious people just drops like lead. That said, I have met plenty of good religious people in life.

Yeah...I do believe in God but I do hate it when religious people try to force their opinion on other people. It's wrong.

...Yes dictionaries are wonderful things XD

Edited by Luxord

I believed I was to be outnumbered by religious people as well. Also, what's a "Bright"?

Yeah...I'm a very avid christian who believes in a God, but trying to convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced is like nailing Jello to a tree, and it gets very annoying after a while. I'd try to put up an arguement about why God exists if someone asks how I could possibly believe in him, but it's kinda pointless to go any farther than that.

Yeah...I'm a very avid christian who believes in a God, but trying to convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced is like nailing Jello to a tree, and it gets very annoying after a while. I'd try to put up an arguement about why God exists if someone asks how I could possibly believe in him, but it's kinda pointless to go any farther than that.

May as well. Pointless but fun!

How could you possibly believe in him?

May as well. Pointless but fun!

How could you possibly believe in him?

Well, how could you not believe in him? That's the thing about faith, it's believing without seeing. There's nothing disproving his existance, but there is no evidence of his existance. However, there is evidence of most of the people in the Bible existing for historical fact. There was historical proof of Abraham, there was historical Moses, there was historical proof Soloman, the only people that come to mind that haven't been proven to exist are Adam, Eve, and all the other people around before written history. Jesus even did exist, based on historical proof. The question is whether he is the son of God or not. And for Abraham, it's a matter if he really did speak to God or not.

Going by my instincts, I consider the fact that Abraham used to be in a polytheistic society, a place where many gods were worshiped. It would seem kind of random to just go and say, "Hey, I think I'll go out of Mesopotamia and worship one God from now on, and his name is Yahweh". So either he really was on to something, or he just had a random dream. I think the first. No proof for it, no proof against it. You'd just have to be there to say it was true or false for a fact.

Now for Jesus, to proclaim that you are the son of God is serious business. You either have to be crazy or telling the truth to say things like that. Based on his teachings, he definately doesn't strike me as crazy, so that's why I think he told the truth. No historical proof of him being the son of God, but definately no proof against him being the son of God.

All in all, that's what faith is to me. Believing, although there isn't proof of it being true or false. Then again, the fact that there are three religions that worship the same God (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) helps firm my belief that there is a God. That's my 50 cents to that question, and I approve this message.

All in all, that's what faith is to me. Believing, although there isn't proof of it being true or false. Then again, the fact that there are three religions that worship the same God (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) helps firm my belief that there is a God. That's my 50 cents to that question, and I approve this message.

Because the majority has never been wrong before.

Because the majority has never been wrong before.

Meh, that's not what I was trying to say there. The whole point of the post I made was that I believe in God because there is no evidence against it, even though there is no proof for it. Mentioning that three religions worship the same God was just a matter of saying why I'm sure there is a God, not that the majority is right. I could be wrong about God existing, but if so, it's not like anybody is going to rub it in my face when I die. I could be right about God existing, but I certainly hope I wouldn't rub it in the faces of those who were wrong when I die. Otherwise, that's enough super mega deep, thought provoking posts for me for one day.