The League shall fall if I'm in control - A bad tactician plays Berwick Saga, Ironman mode!

Saint Rubenio

On 3/20/2020 at 12:26 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Did you know that "corona" in Spanish means "crown"?

Yes. It's where the virus gets it's name, from the crown like growths (the virions in scientific terms, which are the infectious part of a virus... as opposed to an archer from Awakening) when you look at it under a microscope. I hope no one's already said that,  because I'm late. Well, technically it's because the word is also the Latin word for crown, and the Greek word is also derived from it. But let's not split hairs. Point is most scientific names are in Latin, and it just happens Spanish is a language which held onto a few aspects. Actually helps me read bits of Spanish, seeing as I know a degree of Latin.

Those of you who have read my other stuff know how much it peeves me when people use spanish words as names. It's like ours is some kind of alien language!

As said, literal case where they're using it because of the meaning in it's language (which here technically was Latin first) instead of, you know, Ostia.

But now I'm stuck at home with nothing to do.

I was actually going to message to check on you, seeing as I heard the virus hit pretty hard in Spain but now I guess I've got some idea. Guess we'll all get through this curse together, even if it's while we're all stuck in isolation... or in my case potential isolation.

Also, my oldest cat died a couple days ago.

That just plain sucks. Nothing witty here, so just my condolences. Late as they are.

..filled with death, tragedy and despair...

Qurc9ihz o

...but also happiness, hope and glee?

Are you talking about the LP, or just living in a post-Corona world?

Hello, everybody! Remember me? It is I, Saint Rubenio, the guy who can't play FE

Hello, I'm Saint Rubenio, you may remember me from such LPs as "Chaos Reigns when I take the Reigns" and "That time all the sword users died except Marcus in FE6".

On 3/21/2020 at 2:48 AM, Aethin said:

In that case, I'll do you one better: In Latin, virus means "scum, slime, toxic liquid." So basically, people are all afraid of crown-scum these days.

Well, to be fair one of covid-19's effects is your lungs filling with fluid... which is a liquid. A rather toxically behaved liquid. But see what I mean about everything in science being latin words?

15 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Literally.

*LiteraLee.
Sides, why not? I feel the puns make the adventure more Livelee.

Yay, we won! I'd celebrate, but I'm busy eating paella and watching bullfighting.

I know I posted it before, but you know this is stupid enough to do again. QS4MgPX.png

Language is such a fickle thing.

Yes. Yes it is. r83HsF9.png?2

elitist nature

Eleetist nature.

9qk5ifz8 oAh, there's the word I was waiting for! We've got ourselves our earlygame bandit map, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm sick of every Fire Emblem starting with a group of cut-throats and ruffians. People may think dragons are the biggest cliche, but a bunch of would be thieves razing a town is so common you'd think they would have... Bandit.

Dfievfxn oEarlier today, she received news of a sudden disease outbreak there. We told her it was too dangerous to go, but she refused to listen... She set out on her own when no one was watching.

The man who dodged the draft by removing his own eyes warns us  of a disease outbreak. Hope COVID-19 isn't hitting Berwick too.

(By the way, can I just say I've never understood why this skill is called "Canto"? "Canto" in Spanish means "[a] chant" or "I sing". What's up with that?)

In english a Canto is the divisions in a large poem (presumably based off the fact the old latin meaning was to sing, but time and language oddities). I believe the implication is that like the poems have cantos dividing them, there's an action dividing the sets of movement when using this skill. It's... a very loose way of interpreting it, but it's as far as I can get.

In conclusion, Ward is beard/10. He will teach those dummies how he earned the right to keep such an unkempt appearance despite his high rank.

Don't you know if you have a beard you can't be killed? Just look at this song.

16 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

as Ward's beard cannot be defeated by the likes of these enemies.

His beard is a shield of steel that will easily Ward off the attacks of lesser men.

1l91navc o

Sigh... Sherlock, I love you, man. You really showed me your true potential in my last run. But why in the world didn't you bother to get your hands on better equipment?

Not only is this a game where speed is worst stat and skill is best, but it's one where you love a Horseman whose name is the other half of Holmes'. Is this Bizarro FE?

Uedfz3v4 oHoly shit they mean business! You're not supposed to penetrate her with that spear, man!

Still more wholesome than where it was going.

9hyoix8o o

Wa-- Holy hell, Reese! That's the third crit you've gotten today! Calm down, man!

...on second thought, don't. This is great.

That put a cReese in Benner's armor.

7ajnehbu oYou had a nasty cough there... Sounded somethin' like "COUGHCOUGHTURNFIFTEENCOUGHCOUGH".

Oi8hiy9n oYou're losing your mind. That's not at all what it sounded like!

Man that virus is hitting the deserters now.

What the hell is happening!? Why is he critting everyone? And just after I was done talking about how he's a bad fighter at the start! Did he hear me and take it personally? I'm sorry, Reese - really, I am!

With nothing but rage filling his head,
Reese decided to leave everyone dead.
As the crits landed and his bodycount incReesed,
Ruben's criticisms of his skill promptly ceased.

(I don't know, I don't have a tune for that. It's just a short inspired by it)

...Or not, because we've got reinforcements! These are Elbert, second-in-command to Ward, and Christine.

Zlagxehg oOh, is that a message?

Elbert looks different in this game. So I take it he used to dye his hair before FE 7. As opposed to just dying.

And now it's time to get that coin!

...I just realized how ridiculous this situation is. I've sent my strongest unit to relentlessly chase some random mook who isn't even hurting anybody, simply because he has a coin in his pocket.

Come to think of it, isn't this what happens with every fleeing enemy with an unimportant item in Fire Emblem?

Zlagxehg oYou're a poopnose!

7ajnehbu oWHY, YOU SON OF A MOTHERFUCKING-- I'LL TEAR YOUR FUCKING HEAD OFF AND FEED IT TO THE FUCKING WOLVES, FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUUUUUCK!!!

Somehow, I figure if you switched Elbert for @Pengaius and no-eye mook for you, this would still work.

X600brlo o

That's, uh... an interesting axe you're wielding?

He's grown wolverine claws. Yet another example of sp00ky axemen. Lot must be proud his legacy.

17 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU DO THAT!?! What possessed you to believe that this was even remotely close to being a good idea!? Elbert deals less damage, has less HP and defense than Ward, and isn't a prepromote like him! Are you telling me he went after Ward because he has 1% less chance to hit him!? That's ridiculous! Preposterous! Ludicrous! ...dumb!

He's playing the long game. He made sure the exp went to the guy who didn't need it to make sure your army is more likely to suffer casualties later. Also it saves him the humiliation of being the guy killed by someone not named Ward. If he died to Ward, it's far less embarrassing because other people in hell will know he's tough. He goes in killed by, say Sherlock... he's never going to live it down.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, hey, look who's back! It's been a hot minute. I hope you guys are all safe and healthy. I'm doing pretty well myself (aside from, you know, Leeving in the country that was struck the hardest by the coronavirus aside from China to this day).

Yeah, not the best situation, but at Leest it's given me tons of time to do stuff like playing Pokémon (in case anyone's interested, I'm playing SoulSilver right now, recreating my emulated Crystal team and catching 8 of the 9 species I need to compLeete the Gen 4 National Dex... I'll probably be moving over to Black next). I've also been writing a Leettle (I even started my own thread of FE-related stories on here in case anyone's interested, but I should really update it when I have a little bit less homework).

Anyway! I've been awaiting the day this LP would inevitably begin ever since BS' full translation's release. I know a fair bit about this game's story and characters (apparently I just can't stay away from spoilers) but it'll definitely be fun to read some commentary to go along with it, while also learning about the actual mechanics.

I probably still have Lots of stuff to say, but all in due time. Just know that I'm here too and I will be definitely following this.

(Btw, I tried to insert some kind of Matthis pun, but I failed. Dishonorably.)

On 3/21/2020 at 12:47 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Sorry, but I don't play ahead. I play along with the thread, so that I am just as in the dark as everyone else as to who's going to die.

This is to prevent info Leeks?

It's gonna be interesting to see if any of the following maps will Leed to any deaths. You're doing pretty well so far, though.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:47 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Bj85dcqk o

I know it's really strange to say, but there's something fun about writing sleazy lines like this. I think it's because they're very distinct from the rest of the dialogue, and I don't have to worry about sounding formal or proper. Not to mention that I get to throw in euphemisms galore.

Boy I sure am glad that, in the context of Berwick Saga, he's been dead for hundreds of years, as of April, Verian calendar 616.

Bold of you to assume that Holmes didn't happen across the secret to eternal youth in his travels.

never mind that he would probably immediately lose it à la the Epic of Gilgamesh

A7ryhrli o

Isn't it a little bizarre that they decided to come back seven and a half hours later? I guess the 1 turn = 30 minutes convention hasn't been introduced to the player yet, but still, it's extremely generous, if nothing else.

this victory is scripted, but I felt like using Ward for maximum hilarity.

I really ought to try and test the limits of this scripted fight. What happens if your unit... doesn't have a weapon? ...has a weapon on red durability? ...has a weapon with a 100% fail rate? ...has a range 1 or 2 weapon? ...has a lance equipped? ...has Wormwood equipped? ...can only use knives? The potential for hilarity is endless!

Kdzkanzw o

ward_directs_his_army_of_fireflies_to_consume_the_enemy.png

0msattus o

And here begins the manifold-coded part of Berwick Saga--a very large number of events have alternate lines. For instance, here, Ward will instead say "With their leader captured..." if the player managed to capture Ritchens. There is also an extra bit of introduction if Reese and Izerna did not have their talk event during the chapter. Therefore, there are 2x2=4 variants of this scene.

Unfortunately, Tirnanog decided that the best way to tackle this problem was not to use "if x then y" statements, but rather to include every variant as its own separate conversation. During translation, this meant that I had to copy-paste many conversations (with only tiny changes) many times. This isn't a particularly fun piece of trivia; I just want everyone in this thread to know my pain.

Finally, I was thinking about your title "The League shall fall if I'm in control" and was wondering why you chose to go with a non-rhyming name this time, but I just realized that in certain accents besides mine, "fall" and "control" can rhyme, as /fɔl/ and /kəntɹɔl/!  I feel suddenly enlightened. (For the record, in my accent, they're /fɑl/ and /kəntɹɔl/.)

EDIT:

(By the way, can I just say I've never understood why this skill is called "Canto"? "Canto" in Spanish means "[a] chant" or "I sing". What's up with that?)

Oh, I know why... kind of! It's because the first time the skill received an English name in FE was in Path of Radiance, where it was exclusively Reyson's skill (so he could move again despite not being flying or mounted). In Japanese, it was just 再行動 "re-movement," but the localizers went with something song-y to fit with galdr, I guess. Then, when it became a class class skill in Radiant Dawn, they stuck with the name. (It also sounds a lot like "canter," a word for a slow gallop, which is probably a happy coincidence.)

Edited by Aethin
added thing about Canto

18 hours ago, Goddess Serra said:

Oh, hey, look who's back! It's been a hot minute. I hope you guys are all safe and healthy. I'm doing pretty well myself (aside from, you know, Leeving in the country that was struck the hardest by the coronavirus aside from China to this day).

Yeah, not the best situation, but at Leest it's given me tons of time to do stuff like playing Pokémon (in case anyone's interested, I'm playing SoulSilver right now, recreating my emulated Crystal team and catching 8 of the 9 species I need to compLeete the Gen 4 National Dex... I'll probably be moving over to Black next). I've also been writing a Leettle (I even started my own thread of FE-related stories on here in case anyone's interested, but I should really update it when I have a little bit less homework).

Anyway! I've been awaiting the day this LP would inevitably begin ever since BS' full translation's release. I know a fair bit about this game's story and characters (apparently I just can't stay away from spoilers) but it'll definitely be fun to read some commentary to go along with it, while also learning about the actual mechanics.

I probably still have Lots of stuff to say, but all in due time. Just know that I'm here too and I will be definitely following this.

You know what Barbie said. Matthis hard.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:53 PM, Benice said:

Leening heavily into your stock of puns already?  Only a great Leeder could be so courageous. I would be leery about running out, though.

LuckiLee there's been a Lot of new characters to help Ward off the prospect of my ideas for puns decReesing past the point where I can do something. Though admittedLee, I still personalLee prefer to use our old friend, the Leegue is going to definiteLee have more characters to pun. Besides, if I do run out, I can fall back on a song or two... once I have an idea of who to praise and who to mock.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

LuckiLee there's been a Lot of new characters to help Ward off the prospect of my ideas for puns decReesing past the point where I can do something. Though admittedLee, I still personalLee prefer to use our old friend, the Leegue is going to definiteLee have more characters to pun. Besides, if I do run out, I can fall back on a song or two... once I have an idea of who to praise and who to mock.

You Berwicked man, flexing your puns on me. Let's be Reeseonable, shall we?

On 3/21/2020 at 2:47 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Italians, Portuguese and Brazilians also suffer from this, if I recall correctly.

Yes, actually funny you mention them because I recently watched videos of those people speaking in their native language and understanding each other through skype, I think it would be so much easier even irl where you can move your hands and point to things. Also you didn't mention the French and the Romanians, and good for you because they are intelligible for me, but apparently some Italians can understand them better. Man I love ranting about languages and being part of the latin family.

Bahahahahahaha! This one got a good laugh out of me. To think, so many years ago I couldn't fathom the idea that any of the other FEs could be better than FE7... what an integral fool I was.

I really dislike how limiting FE7 is.... I think I'll post why I say that about it on the forest one day.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:42 PM, Benice said:

From his bank?

Maybe that's how Vestaria Saga ended up looking so... not as great

OH MY GOD THAT MAN DOES NOT HAVE EYES

THEN THAT MEANS HE'S A HENTAI PROTAGONIST!!!1!!

Map theme. This is no "winds across the plains", this is actually pretty badass. And they're only going to get better from here!

Holy fuck, it's good!

(Also can be the noun itself and not a verb) When in doubt, look to latin and it says it means "desconocido".... what? I don't know, I suppose the name just comes from the fact you can move again as if a dancer danced or something... and you know, Nils and Leanne exist and they sing... I guess?

Okay, I think that's all the mechanics I can get out of these screens. A few words on Reese, and I'll move on to his subordinates.

Maybe I should play so I can understand all of that which you just said but my laptop probably wouldn't run a PS2 game very smoothly

As you can see, standard battles end when either of the combatants takes damage.

Hmm... but then with how the enemy has more "turns" and this, does the game's pace not suffer from it at all? As in, go much slower?

You know what doesn't work like clockwork? My luck, as usual. He had a 42% chance to dodge and a 65% chance to shield, and he did neither. Amazing.

This reminds me of my Eliwood every time he levels up... damn.

8wkhrd47 oWhen we heard there was a beautiful cleric in the western town, we just had to see for ourselves! And boy, you are a beauty...

Uedfz3v4 o ...I don't think I quite like where this is going...

Well he's not wrong but I told ya! Eyeless dudes are hentai protagonists/extras.

has an armor knight's movement

Ok seriously, what's up with giving mages and clerics less movement than other foot dudes? Like it's just so annoying, and with clerics it means you're always one movement short to heal your guys if you have them directly behind!

By the way, here's the theme for most of the bosses in main missions. It's... unique. I don't think I've heard anything quite like it. I enjoy it!

It reminds me of something but I can'tquite pin it down... My mind is yelling Contra 4 and Super Famicom Wars at me but I don't think that's it...

Dq87bdmq o

Back to the western front. Adel wounds a guy.

Ok this is bothering me, 25-14 isn't 17, so why is the enemy's hp at 17 here? Just a screenshot-in-the-middle-of-action thing?

9qk5ifz8 o Wow, a name? And she's not the only one, her father's named Laszlo. No, they aren't recurring characters. This is actually the first example of one neat little habit of Berwick Saga: it loves to name its one-off NPCs. No generic "villager"s here. Most NPCs get their own names. I like it, helps make them seem more like people and less like walking quest givers.

That's indeed a pretty neat feature, don't bet on FE doing that anytime soon.

P3qvqmjf o

At first I thought Kaga really just trolled us with crappy blood but then I remember you like to put gore in here

C'mon, we're on a roll. That guy is all alone, and Leon has a 94% chance to hit him. Let's go!

Ggymblhj o

You son of a bitch.

Xgg1voyr o

YOU SON OF A BITCH, DIE!

Fucking hell, Leon almost died. Let this be a lesson to you: Ruben can't learn lessons. Why didn't I stop to think, damnit...! 94% is too low, too low! Gaaaah...!

Damn, 94% twice though, damn!

Boy I sure am glad that, in the context of Berwick Saga, he's been dead for hundreds of years, as of April, Verian calendar 616.

Wait.. TRS and BWS are in the same universe? I also heard TRS is the same as in one of the FE universes, no?

9qk5ifz8 o C'mon, as if that's ever worked for anyone. Can you recall even a single instance of the lord successfully chasing a potential recruit away? I can't--

Lgjkwhcy o ...Right, Roy chasing Lilina away in chapter 1 so she'd join in chapter 8 and be a bad unit. I'd almost forgotten that...

BuuTT LiLiNNSA cANN do biGG BOOM-BAAAM!!11!

9qk5ifz8 oI like Reese. I suppose he suffers from "NoT HAvInG a PeRSNaLiTee LieK dA BeStEst LoRD EVAh, CLauDe vOn REeGAn!!11!"* , but I enjoy how composed and calm he appears. Even among the more serious lords, he feels a notch more mature. Still, we'll get to see him flustered, don't you worry.

* (I did warn you I'd say things like that! It's right there, in the disclaimer section! I will die to protect my freedom to diss everyone's favourite FE if I must!)

Hyuk hyuk, Claoudde a SScCHHHeemMEEeR, yu kno Dat?

I bet you can't diss FE15! *hmmph*

Zlagxehg oYou're a poopnose!

7ajnehbu oWHY, YOU SON OF A MOTHERFUCKING-- I'LL TEAR YOUR FUCKING HEAD OFF AND FEED IT TO THE FUCKING WOLVES, FUCK FUCKITY FUCK FUUUUUCK!!!

This looks like something that would happen in Kindergarten

Abey02vr o

...wha... how!? How do I manage to get these flashbang screenshots in every game I play!? There's a single frame of white! A single frame!

As someone who has LPed before.... yeah, I don't know myself either... I got them a few times I think.

I'm really feeling tempted to go back and change the update title to "Ruben's grandpa reflexes"...! Or "fuck"!

what's this about your grandpa? Is it the failling at screenshotting things, thing?

On 3/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Point is most scientific names are in Latin, and it just happens Spanish is a language which held onto a few aspects. Actually helps me read bits of Spanish, seeing as I know a degree of Latin.

Yeah that's pretty cool IMO, like if you speak a decent (fuck you French and Romanian) romance language, you can understand latin or other languages in the written form if you think hard enough about every word you see. Sometimes even in French but that shitfuck only works in the written form sorry french readers.

On 3/22/2020 at 7:58 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Eleetist nature.

out of all these "Lee" puns, I didn't get any of them (and still don't), but I can't beLeeve this one made me laugh.

6 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

out of all these "Lee" puns, I didn't get any of them (and still don't), but I can't beLeeve this one made me laugh.

How did we Leeve you in the dark like that?

How many times do you think Reese crit next map? I'm betting twice. (I am also betting for no Reesets.)

Edited by Benice

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Yeah that's pretty cool IMO, like if you speak a decent (fuck you French and Romanian) romance language, you can understand latin or other languages in the written form if you think hard enough about every word you see. Sometimes even in French but that shitfuck only works in the written form sorry french readers.

Irony here is I have French heritage. But honestly, even english uses a degree of latin (probably because it borrows from so many other languages). An example, is the word torture, which involves the latin word "tort". Which means to twist. As you may know, the twisting of limbs in ways they weren't intended to bend is fairly common in torture. Not to mention torture is twisted. (I can't even stop with the puns here).

11 hours ago, Benice said:

The joy of puns is ultimately they're this silLee little thing. A small pleasure that anyone can partake in. The ones with a double meaning are better (but it's hard to do with a character name, not impossible though). BasicaLee, it takes a bit of a silly mindset to get into them.. but half the fun is not taking things too seriousLee.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

How many times do you think Reese crit next map? I'm betting twice. (I am also betting for no Reesets.)

Can we make the reset counter for Reese deaths the "Reeset counter" just to fit with that pun?

9 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Irony here is I have French heritage. But honestly, even english uses a degree of latin (probably because it borrows from so many other languages). An example, is the word torture, which involves the latin word "tort". Which means to twist. As you may know, the twisting of limbs in ways they weren't intended to bend is fairly common in torture. Not to mention torture is twisted. (I can't even stop with the puns here).

About the word tort, it's kinda weird. Something tells me it does make sense for it to mean to twist but at the same time I don't know what word it could resemble in spanish. It's an interesting thing nonetheless though. (Ok that was funny)

9 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

The joy of puns is ultimately they're this silLee little thing. A small pleasure that anyone can partake in. The ones with a double meaning are better (but it's hard to do with a character name, not impossible though). BasicaLee, it takes a bit of a silly mindset to get into them.. but half the fun is not taking things too seriousLee.

I was more so wondering when y'all started the Lee puns and from where? Is it a TRS character's name?

I was more so wondering when y'all started the Lee puns and from where? Is it a TRS character's name?

Yep. He's a healer with offensive capabilities (which in TRS is a rarity) that one can get very early. He saw a lot of use in the prior TRS Iron Man. Shortly into the LP (5th page, part 12), he got a bad level up leading (or Leeding) to Ruben asking if that's "RealLee" what he wants. Which led to me proclaiming "Leegad that's a bad pun. I expect a Leegion of better ones". Another member @Unknown Gamer11 proceeded to post "Oh you should be a little leenient, I'm sure if he seriouslee tried he could easilee come up with some leegitimately better puns.

"Oh you should be a little leenient, I'm sure if he seriouslee tried he could easilee come up with some leegitimately better puns.

I'll...I'll just leave now. Forever."

I then replied "Don't leeve. I'm sure this will inevitablee be something people start to do both intentionalee and subconsciouslee. We all just need to cut ourselves a little Lee-way. "
Turns out the joke was prophetic, and it realLee did Leek out into every aspect of the LP. And the next. But as much as I'd like to take credit for it, Ruben did it first. I just helped run it into the ground. Also I had to revisit the thread to get those quotes right. 

Part 2 - Brand-spankin' new hub or whatever.

Did you know that there's a spanish Thracia translation now? Yeah, there is! My best friend's started playing with it. Chapter 2 and he already lost Dagdar. Hoo, boy. This is gonna be fun. Mostly for me. I'm gonna get him back for all those times I played games and watched animes on his recommendation, and every single one of my favourite characters died every time...

He's also playing The Last Promise, on my own recommendation. He's quite impressed by it, but he's... also failing miserably there. He's missed every single secret, every single gaiden chapter, Noah both times, and Howard. Poor guy's gonna have to swallow his pride and use Levion, even though he doesn't like using old men. Hahahah... ah, I'm sorry. You know how much I love to ramble. On to the matters at hand.

Replies:

Spoiler
On 3/21/2020 at 10:44 PM, Dayni said:

Sorry for being 6 months behind the curve.

I only started with it in January.

I accept your apology.

I'm not pretending this game isn't rough as fuck. Come on, I was there thinking it'd be a lot worse. It also helps that I only started running into slowdown (outside of the game loading the whole monastery and me wanting to run off, seemingly into everything) with one or two fights in Part 2 of VW. I won't pretend that this doesn't need more work.

It's also not like i'm giving a shit about that considering 1: I'm mostly playing it handheld, so it wouldn't be optimal anyway. 2: The art style's not terrible (except for the S rank pics, what's with the artist's preference for no noses?), though I do miss Hidari and eagerly await an Ippei-led character design 3: I am more than able to get over the sheer number of launch PS3 graphics because it runs better than you give credit for and it doesn't really need to be going over 60 for gameplay reasons so this doesn't matter much. 4: Really? Ugliest? Do we really want to start down that rabbit hole?

1: Okay, fair enough.

2: That's subjective. You don't think it's terrible, I think it is. We'll have just to respectfully agree to disagree, here. But I'm the one who's right! Always! Me! No one else!

3: Hey, I never said it was an important issue. Graphics don't matter to me all that much. But the game does run poorly, that's just what happens. They overuse particles so much that the game slows down in every fight.

4: Well, every AAA game I've seen on the switch (read, Ninty's releases and a few others) is better-looking than Three Houses by a longshot, but I suppose there might be some mediocre port of an old game out there that counts as AAA?

I don't know, I just think the game would've benefitted from some anti-aliasing. And more months in the oven. Definitely more months in the oven.

I'd also say the cutscenes aren't that great either, I want Studio Anima back.

I want 2D back. Sorry for being such an elitist, but c'mon, look at Berwick! Imagine if Three Houses looked even half as amazing as Berwick.

I wonder who has the rights now.

Probably Enterbrain, since they absorbed Tirnagog.

See if they'd be interested in a rerelease. The only things they'd really have to do is make sure it runs consistently.

I doubt it. This game is old and so niche, and competing with Waifu Emblem isn't easy when you, well, don't have waifus.

I mean, I get you. Hanneman's cool, but the game's a bit of a dick and only the students are unable to get 0 stat level ups.

Oh yeah, that's another thing that really pissed me off about the game. They blatantly played favorites. If you only want me to use students, why let me use anyone else? Just to punish me when I get to Reunion At Dawn and it's literally a softlock? Because that's how my maddening run ended. With a dead Hilda, a RNG-screwed Claude and Lorenz, and mages Ignatz and Byleth. I quite literally couldn't advance an inch. That's when I decided that I would never again buy a FE game at release.

It sucked to see Hanneman get one. He's a magic monster though.

Bah, the students are like kids learning to ride a bicycle. Hanneman doesn't need training wheels. He's a badass, empty levels be damned.

Really? Age of Empires?

Yeah, never touched one of those!

I've played the original (The priests chanted in AoE2, aka the one I'd have the most experience with) for crying out loud! Anyways, the priests chat at the enemy, the enemy joins them.

Cute. Very cute.

That's what happens when some Basque lad manages to get dozens of others to follow his every word I suppose.

Eh...? Basque? Since when am I Basque? That's 3 hours away from where I am!

Hmmmm....

The league shall break from orders I make?

Not bad. We shall see.

Is this in the Voldemort sense?

No, not at all. Volcens is a great man, and we'll soon get to see his greatness in action. Believe it!

I wonder what the other chapters might have been.

It's a shame really this game never got the chance to be noticed. 

I doubt any game is popular enough to spawn 173 sequels.

...never mind, there's like, 200 games with Mario's name on 'em.

It really does seem like a terrible idea now that you put it like that.

A few easily sailed assassins and shit goes down.

Maybe that's why there's Imperial troops all over the place. They came by boat.

Now Ward's a real hero.

Eugen was all talk, we'll get to see this man in action. So, so much action.

Hey! Eugen may've been all talk, but what a talk it was. Besides, he punched Holmes on the back of the head! How can you not love him after that?

...Still, Ward's pretty amazing in his own right.

It's really not like Winds across the plains is that bad at all. 

Nah. It's worse. FE7's soundtrack in general is not my cup of tea at all. I hate every time I hear it in fangames. ESPECIALLY this one. I really don't like this one.

Then again, I'm probably the one soul who's not on the whole "BS? More like BS!" train these days.

Hey-- don't look at me like that! I was on that train before it was cool to be in it! You know that! That totally justifies my position!

To be fair, though, it's not just that song. All three of the earlygame GBA songs are pretty horrid, in my humble opinion. C'mon, they're war games, and then you start and it sounds like you're playing Cooking Mama. I'm not asking for Chasing Dawnbreak on the first chapter, but at least have something more martial, like Berwick Saga. Or DSFE. Those had rather uplifting songs, too, but they were more serious-sounding than the GBA tunes.

FE6's earlygame theme is slightly better than FE7's and FE8's, but it compensates by reappearing in chapter 15 and replacing that glorious Western Isles theme. I still can't believe they did that.

I mean, the ranges did slightly confuse but looking at it here it's fine. I still think the 0's not the most amazing thing ever but hey that's a different approach right there.

I think it works.

I'm not gonna lie, weapon skill kind of pisses me off here (Oh hey, Kaga did it again!) not only because for some reason being able to use a weapon isn't tied to it, but because as a result the only reason to have them all be different is for making hit esoteric and tying it to promotion.

Well, nobody's perfect, right? I do enjoy how it works, but I see where you're coming from.

I wish stuff like bags were more common.

Yeah, these things are great.

Also, no convoy? Really? I didn't think that was the case.

How far into the game did you get to not realize there's no convoy?

Well it near might as well be this early on. 😛

Ward could use it. Because Ward is beard.

Also, I feel like Kaga not making two handed swords a thing is a missed opportunity thinking on it.

Some people wield their swords two-handed. But I see what you mean. Yeah, he could've thrown some of those in there.

I mean, it's interesting, but I'm not going to pretend that this wasn't one of those ideas where it needs to be asked if you've gone too far.

And he didn't have to guts to do it with magic (Hell, some of the tomes were ripped-off* by 3 Houses magic! (not 1 to 1 obviously, but we'll see it)), so I'm disappointed there too.

Yeah, I don't understand why magic isn't affected. Healing magic I can see, but combat magic is the same as weapons!

By the way, fixed it for you.

The fact that that of all things is based off unit level both threw me for a loop and infuriates me because I just think it's a bit ridiculous that weapon useability is tied to unit level. It's like I just don't like the ideas around weapons in this game, despite them being fascinating.

Well, what can you do. I disagree - and that's perfectly fine. So long as we don't jump on each other's throats and we both agree that I am right. Always! Me! No one else! I'm far too fond of quoting Narcian, perhaps I should be worried...

So more centralised around the curve than SD's dynamic growths.

I kind of feel it and not at the same time. We'll see how screwed we'll get.

Hopefully not much. But it's not like stats in general are too relevant in this game.

Okay, so still more interesting than it ever was in FFT.

Good. I've never played that one, though I did play Tactics Ogre. Didn't like it. Very soon it started to feel like every battle was the same: throw bombs at the boss to kill them quickly before every one of my units kicked the bucket.

Someone might as well?

I guess, but... why him?

Something I don't disagree with honestly.

The addition of these activatable skills are something I wish FE had gone into more, combat arts are certainly looking to be in the right direction but stuff like this would be nice as well. Hell you could make them more powerful as the game goes on by giving cooldown reductions later on so those skills are more useable later on.

That'd been cool.

I mean, Seth's not really far off the endgame as is.

No, but that's more because FE8's difficulty is pathetic. Though, not as pathetic as Path of Radiance's...

Also, I thought Ward was more available?

Not really. He's there when Reese is there, and that's it.

I mean, it's interesting in its own right.

I kind of want to see one of these be gridless. As in, your movement's more free as is combat range. It'd be a mad game that's for sure..

Hoo, that would be a mess... but one I'd be interested in seeing.

Are you kidding?

This is a jam right here.This and the battle themes from SoV make the use of variant themes in the other modern FEs far from the best approach for sure.

Oh, I agree. It's a great theme, I just think a couple more combat themes wouldn't have hurt. Spice things up, you see?

I don't know what to think. It's by far the most interesting thing about Berwick in terms of differences, but I also wonder if it really will click for people who play it. It certainly forces different habits that's for sure. I'm not sure sure it makes speed bad though or even makes skill itself the best because hit's still inconsistent because of how things are done in this game. There are ways, but we'll get there in time.

Personally? I love it. But that goes without saying, considering how huge and obnoxious a Berwick fanboy I am. Have I told you that I consider Berwick Saga to be better than all FE yet?

Also, as a pedantic thing, why does weapon's hit only get shown in tens on the weapon's information? It's so dumb and unnecessary and ends up being confusing.

Ergh... I... can't really explain it. I don't get it either.

Deathmatch is more like Accost for 5 times round.

Yeah, that's kinda it.

I mean, he is kind of edgy.

Just a bit more Deadpool than Deathstroke.

I know those names. I also know Deadpool's kind of a shitposty character? Maybe?

So different than in FE and I'd love to see this exist as well.

Indeed, it's a really cool skill.

Kliff isn't the reason he couldn't dodge, you know that.

Kliff was worse than Luthier when I played SoV. Luthier was great, he stood toe-to-toe with his sister, contrary to what I'd heard. Also, he had that "EASY PICKINGS" line that made me smile everytime I heard it.

I mean it stops grinding in its tracks. Too much, fuck go back,

Yeah, perhaps it was a bit too much, to be honest.

It's certainly different, but not much so.

Being real the only reason I think it's safe to not rank Berwick as best FE is because it's so not. Also because I still think modern FE has better soundtracks.

Hahahahahahah... well, I'll admit, the soundtrack is one of the few things I truly enjoy about Three Houses. I feel God-Shattering Star is a bit overrated, but I love Paths That Will Never Cross and Chasing Dawnbreak as much as the next man.

I'm trying to think of the times it occurs in FE full stop, they're not coming to mind.

That's because FE never had the balls.

I have a feeling Aethin did it.

Somehow, that just seems like the truth.

I wouldn't be so sure. If anything, the font being blue is his invention, but the hint was there already.

Monastery music intensifies

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I have a better idea.

I remember how broken it could get in Awakening.

Ah, good times.

I know nothing about Awakening, as always. Frankly, given how much of a catastrophic disappointment Three Houses was, I think it'll stay that way forever.

I'm debating if the save staff in some form should be added.

Oh and of course Turnwheel/Divine Pulse is too numerous (The turnwheel could have fixed this by keeping the cogs separated by route until endgame, but nooooooo), but I don't think it's as bad in the sense that it won't fix utterly shit strategy like I'd argue RD saves (or to a lesser extent DSFE saves) could.

Well, I do suppose it cannot be used to manipulate the RNG, but if it comes at the cost of all those bullshit moments that Three Houses has (think the exploding hill in Gronder Field), then I don't think it's a good trade-off.

Also, it cannot manipulate the RNG, but considering you can go back to literally any point in the battle, it definitely can be used to fix a bunch of mistakes at once.

Reese is pretty pissed.

I don't remember seeing that many crits in this game before. Considering your talk of Skill as best stat, that in its own way is strange.

Oh I agree, I agree. I think Reese has gotten more crits in this one battle than I'd ever seen in my entire two previous runs.

Okay, we might actually have a problem here.

You fool! You have picked the wrong battle this time!

2bhwrekr o

I'm still playing the game, so despite finishing his route my opinion still hasn't finished, but really? Of all the character things to complain about it's the main lords? And the most fun one at that?

Not the main lords, don't put words in my mouth. I really liked Dimitri, even if I did feel that he got off too easy and too quickly. And Edelgard makes a great villain with some nice gray connotations. I've a problem with Claude, and Claude alone.

You see, I don't care that he's fun. If he were a secondary character, yeah, that'd be okay. The problem is that Claude is put up on a pedestal, he's given his own route and called a "protagonist", when he's a completely useless character. I mean, what does he do, really? In AM, he appears twice, makes a fool of himself in both cases (not sure if you've played this route, if you have I'll elaborate) and then vanishes after some blatant "go play my route!" bait. In SS, he appears once and then vanishes without even the blatant "go play my route!" bait. He's just... gone, boom, vanished with the wind as if a Navarre he were. In CF, he's no more than a glorified throwaway boss that you can spare for no better reason than "he's on the cover!"

Even in his own route! What does he do in his route, aside from existing and reacting to things? Not much, because his route is a copypaste of SS, the route where he barely appears at all! Why is it, then, that he doesn't show up in most of the animated cutscenes? They weren't made with him in mind!

He's the complete opposite of the Marth lord everyone loves to hate so much, and that is not a compliment. He has all the personality, but he's useless. He does nothing, he never schemes, he never backstabs anyone or does anything remotely interesting, his route isn't even about him as much as about the game's lore in general, his themes go nowhere and have nothing to do with the game's main themes, and aside from being charming and handsome, he's just... full of hot air and empty promises.

I'll be brutally honest: I think the game would've been better off without him. Axe him from existance (or better yet, make him what he should've been: a secondary character), throw his students into the other two houses, and then use all that time that you don't have to spend on copypasting SS to polish and improve the other three routes. The result? A more solid product with a greater focus on the actually important characters. You don't even lose the lore route, because SS is just that, too.

...I also dislike Byleth, because they suffer from all the avatar problems, no matter how many times Three Houses fans may parrot that "better than Fates!" line. But I think Byleth's problems are obvious enough.

Oh come on. Being reserved and polite doesn't make Reese special. 😛

Being flirtatious and snarky doesn't make Claude relevant.

...That said, yeah, I agree. Reese isn't really anything remarkable. Runan had some things to him, but Reese is a bit too vanilla for my tastes. I like him well enough, but that's about it. Frankly, I like Ward far better, and I'm glad they decided to let him share the spotlight on occasion.

I wish these skills were used better in FE.

I still remember Heather dying multiple times because Shade didn't work at all.

Skills in FE tended to be pretty irrelevant a lot of the time, sadly.

Jeez, it's not even a contest in that case.

Hah! Far from it, I'm afraid.

I see there'll be some of these edits for sure.

You mean my face? That's just one of my expressions. Barlowe had four, so I wanted the same number. Though, maybe I got a little carried away with that one...

Looking forward to this LP's Smoy.

We'll see, we'll see.

Bravo Ritchens.

Grumble grumble...

On 3/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, BrightBow said:

Oh wow, didn't expect Benner to get roflstomped by Reese.

Oh, believe me, I don't think anyone expected Benner to get rolfstomped by Reese.

Even Ward usually takes some time to take him down. Same the capture didn't work out. Of course since they are deserters, they wouldn't be useful for prisoner exchanges. But I think each boss has at least a quote if they are caught.

Yeah, I've seen Ritchens's, but I was curious about Benner. A shame.

I suppose Deserters are really just Lance Bandits, if you think about it.
Joking aside, it's most certainly an appropriate way to kick of the story given that... serving in Navaron isn't exactly all sunshine, to say the least. Though I don't think they took full advantage of that. I wish they were written to leave a stronger impression. For the most part they really only come across as... well, Lance Bandits.

I mean, starting the game with a near-raping and a kidnapping attempt is pretty heavy, I'd say.

I don't think Izerna is really bad. Sure, she heals less then healers usually do, but characters also take less damage. It's kinda like the original Gaiden in that regard. Plus, there are stronger healing staffs. I'm not even sure her movement is that big of an issue. Considering the way the movement order works, keeping a squishy units walled off is a lot harder. So chances are, units want to come to her and not the other way around. If it's a mounted spear user, this also gives them a nice opportunity to build up attack power when rushing back into the fray.

Hmmm... well, fair enough. Frankly, my problem with her is that early on you don't need her that much (as you said, characters take less damage), and by the time you might start to need a healer, you've got Owen.

Provoke is absolutely fantastic. It even works on enemies who can't immediately attack the user. In those cases it basically forces them to waste their turn entirely.
Man, if only Elbert had an easier time getting his Spear rank to 20. I got to say, I find a lot of those promotion requirements in the game pretty questionable.

Yeah, promoting is quite difficult, but I don't think Elbert's requirements are that bad. In my first run I promoted Elbert by chapter 8 - pretty reasonable, I'd say. I think the two mages got it far worse. It's hell to promote them, and then you get there and it's not even worth the effort.

But Adel definitely got it the worst. He's got plenty of useful skills for sure. But none of them which are particularly suited for killing things, which is the only way to actually gain experience from combat. Considering he's clearly designed to be a defensive unit, you'd think his promotion requirements would reflect that, but NOPE.

Adel's a weird unit, that's for sure.

Man, cutscenes are so gorgeous in this game. The spritework of course is beautiful all around. But having actual dedicated backdrops instead of just using the maps itself for that purpose adds so much. Gives them a nice opportunity to portray events in a way that's a lot more grounded in the world itself, if that makes sense. Very different from the abstract depiction of a battlefield which the actual maps are.

The 3DS games had of course designated areas for cutscenes too. But there wasn't much life to them. Quite the opposite, it made the world feel empty, as if the only people occupying it were the Avatar and his best buddies. Very different compared to here were you have dozens of soldiers and several townspeople just to breathe life into the scene.

Indeed. The devil is in the detail, as they say. Most NPCs having their own names also helps with this.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:57 PM, Pengaius said:

Oh boy! This game confuses my tiny brain, break an arm Ruben. 

Ahahahahah... my strategy worked! By playing a game such as this, I have discombobulated you, Butterman! Now, you won't have any energy left to antagonize me! I am winner! Yaaahahahahahahah!

On 3/21/2020 at 11:18 PM, Benice said:

Me too.

I can see that you're trying to WARD off my Lee puns, so I'll make Ward and Izerna puns. (Although the latter may be tough.)

I'd like to see you try to make an Izerna pun. Pffft!

If you can change Ward's equipment from the bag, does it make it a WARDrobe?

...good... good one... nngh...

On 3/21/2020 at 11:24 PM, BrightBow said:

I wouldn't say it's more complicated then Fire Emblem itself. It's just... well, different from the series were we all played like a dozen games of, which all had only minimal variations to the core rules. It's basically Lyn Mode all over again. So it takes a bit of time for everything to click.

That's exactly it. It didn't take me all that long to get it. Though maybe I'm just a genius. Yeah, that's totally it.

On 3/22/2020 at 1:09 AM, eclipse said:

So if FE6 Ward grew a proper beard, he'd be endgame material?😛

Well, my Wade was endgame material, if you recall. Maybe this is just a sequel to my FE6 LP. After Lot left behind his fighting ways, Wade, having matured after the journey, traveled to a far off land. Due to his heavy foreign accent, everyone there thought he was saying his name was Ward.

And then he dropped the axe, learned to ride a horse, and became the most overpowered man in the continent.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:50 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Obviously a bit late to the party. (Could say I've been busy late-Lee). FortuitsLee, the puns weren't affected by my Leeve.

You're always late to the party. It's kind of your niche.

Anyways, this is a quick check in now that I'm aware this exists (thanks to a certain lover of butter telling me this was going).

I see Butterman's keeping himself busy. Good man, good man. Now we just need to have our favorite bloodthirsty cinnamon roll back, and it's set.

I'll post more when I get a chance to catch up.. but for now I must take my... no I already used that one. Darn. Well be back later.

You may go with my blessing.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:53 AM, Benice said:

Leening heavily into your stock of puns already?  Only a great Leeder could be so courageous. I would be leery about running out, though.

Do you know what Reese's romaji name is?

Lease.

(Also, Adel is apparently Kein in the game's files. Wrap your head around that one)

On 3/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Yes. It's where the virus gets it's name, from the crown like growths (the virions in scientific terms, which are the infectious part of a virus... as opposed to an archer from Awakening) when you look at it under a microscope.

I didn't know that. Interesting!

I hope no one's already said that,  because I'm late. Well, technically it's because the word is also the Latin word for crown, and the Greek word is also derived from it. But let's not split hairs. Point is most scientific names are in Latin, and it just happens Spanish is a language which held onto a few aspects. Actually helps me read bits of Spanish, seeing as I know a degree of Latin.

Of course you know Latin. You should've been born in another era, man.

As said, literal case where they're using it because of the meaning in it's language (which here technically was Latin first) instead of, you know, Ostia.

Oh yeah, Ostia. I still don't know what they were thinking when they gave that name to their major location. The Spanish translators of FE7 had the sense to change it to Ositia, at least.

They also changed Bern to Biran. And Innes to James. Don't ask me why.

I was actually going to message to check on you, seeing as I heard the virus hit pretty hard in Spain but now I guess I've got some idea. Guess we'll all get through this curse together, even if it's while we're all stuck in isolation... or in my case potential isolation.

We're second only to Italy when it comes to having a lot of cases in Europe. But I live in a rural area, far from even my own village, and I don't get around too much. So I'm pretty safe.

That just plain sucks. Nothing witty here, so just my condolences. Late as they are.

Thanks. Don't worry about the tardiness. Better late than never, as it goes. And it's only been one update, anyway.

Are you talking about the LP, or just living in a post-Corona world?

Meh, I'm still hopeful that this won't be the end of the world as we know it. We made it past the Spanish Flu, after all.

...damn fine financial crisis on the horizon, though. That's going to be annoying.

Hello, I'm Saint Rubenio, you may remember me from such LPs as "Chaos Reigns when I take the Reigns" and "That time all the sword users died except Marcus in FE6".

Bwahahahahahahahahahah...

Well, to be fair one of covid-19's effects is your lungs filling with fluid... which is a liquid. A rather toxically behaved liquid. But see what I mean about everything in science being latin words?

This science thing is pretty amazing, ain't it?

*LiteraLee.
Sides, why not? I feel the puns make the adventure more Livelee.

Not another one! I've had enough of this lolleegagging!

I know I posted it before, but you know this is stupid enough to do again. QS4MgPX.png

I mean, I wouldn't say no to eating Palla's--

Oh, God, now I need a distraction. Why do I always end up saying things like that... distractions, distractions...

Yes. Yes it is. r83HsF9.png?2

The badly resized portrait completes this. I love this. Everything about this. Also, that sandwich actually looks pretty good. I think I'll order myself a Reuben, if you don't mind.

Eleetist nature.

Modern FE? RLeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm sick of every Fire Emblem starting with a group of cut-throats and ruffians. People may think dragons are the biggest cliche, but a bunch of would be thieves razing a town is so common you'd think they would have... Bandit.

Well, to be fair, these aren't bandits. They're deserters. Completely different thing--

Bandit

...oh, you... bwahahahahaha, son of a bitch, that was good. Real good.

The man who dodged the draft by removing his own eyes warns us  of a disease outbreak. Hope COVID-19 isn't hitting Berwick too.

Not really, no. There was almost an outbreak of a different nature, though. One called RAPE-14. Good thing Dr. Dean was on the case.

...speaking of 14, here's a fun fact: unlike in TRS, there are more than four women in BWS that are older than 14 years old. Isn't that reassuring?

In english a Canto is the divisions in a large poem (presumably based off the fact the old latin meaning was to sing, but time and language oddities). I believe the implication is that like the poems have cantos dividing them, there's an action dividing the sets of movement when using this skill. It's... a very loose way of interpreting it, but it's as far as I can get.

I see, I see. That is fair enough.

Don't you know if you have a beard you can't be killed? Just look at this song.

This is why Ward is endgame ready. He grew his beard and immediately his muscles popped into existance.

His beard is a shield of steel that will easily Ward off the attacks of lesser men.

Ward's going to be the subject of most of this game's puns, isn't he. Alongside Lee, who isn't even in this one.

Not only is this a game where speed is worst stat and skill is best, but it's one where you love a Horseman whose name is the other half of Holmes'. Is this Bizarro FE?

I mean, there's a green cavalier called Adel.

Still more wholesome than where it was going.

Which is worrisome.

That put a cReese in Benner's armor.

Oh God. Aaaahhhh!

Man that virus is hitting the deserters now.

Well, but they're deserters. We don't have to feel bad about deserters dying. Amirite?

With nothing but rage filling his head,
Reese decided to leave everyone dead.
As the crits landed and his bodycount incReesed,
Ruben's criticisms of his skill promptly ceased.

(I don't know, I don't have a tune for that. It's just a short inspired by it)

Not to worry, it's as good as ever. I look forward to another album of songs by you, my friend!

Elbert looks different in this game. So I take it he used to dye his hair before FE 7. As opposed to just dying.

I was wondering when someone would bring that up. Maybe he didn't really die. He fell through the Dragon's Gate and landed up in Lazberia. His hair was also changed by the gate's influence. Or something?

Come to think of it, isn't this what happens with every fleeing enemy with an unimportant item in Fire Emblem?

Yeah, but this is an extreme case. We're sending the endgame-ready beard to obliterate a guy for his pocket change. The heroes!

Somehow, I figure if you switched Elbert for @Pengaius and no-eye mook for you, this would still work.

Probably. It's kind of how most of our interactions go.

He's grown wolverine claws. Yet another example of sp00ky axemen. Lot must be proud his legacy.

Lot must be proud of a lot of things.

He's playing the long game. He made sure the exp went to the guy who didn't need it to make sure your army is more likely to suffer casualties later. Also it saves him the humiliation of being the guy killed by someone not named Ward. If he died to Ward, it's far less embarrassing because other people in hell will know he's tough. He goes in killed by, say Sherlock... he's never going to live it down.

I'll be completely forthcoming with you: I expect that, in Hell, being killed by Ward is a thing to brag about.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, Goddess Serra said:

We're not doing much better overhere in the land of paella and bullfighting. We're hot on your tail. One of these days we might even overtake you.

Gotta keep ourselves busy. It's about all we can do these days.

Then get yourself comfortable.

All right, excellent. The more the merrier.

I'm playing Dishonored right now. Probably not the best choice of game, given the current situation.

Anyway, Matthis is not quite so easily punned as Lee, I'm afraid.

On 3/22/2020 at 11:48 PM, Benice said:

This is to prevent info Leeks?

Oh my God Lee did Wikileaks.

That's... about all I've drawn from this.

It's gonna be interesting to see if any of the following maps will Leed to any deaths. You're doing pretty well so far, though.

It's... it's only been one map, though. I don't think doing well "so far" is that impressive. Still, appreciate the sentiment.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:37 PM, Aethin said:

I know it's really strange to say, but there's something fun about writing sleazy lines like this. I think it's because they're very distinct from the rest of the dialogue, and I don't have to worry about sounding formal or proper. Not to mention that I get to throw in euphemisms galore.

I get what you mean. It's fun to write bad guys.

Bold of you to assume that Holmes didn't happen across the secret to eternal youth in his travels.

Knowing him, he wouldn't have figured out how to use it.

never mind that he would probably immediately lose it à la the Epic of Gilgamesh

Or that. Or maybe Eugen came out of nowhere, punched him in the back of the skull again, and stole it.

Ohmigosh Ward is Eugen confirmed.

...God I miss Eugen...

Isn't it a little bizarre that they decided to come back seven and a half hours later? I guess the 1 turn = 30 minutes convention hasn't been introduced to the player yet, but still, it's extremely generous, if nothing else.

I didn't realize that was a convention. I knew they talked about turns as time a bunch of times, but I never stopped to check if they were consistent about it. Huh.

I really ought to try and test the limits of this scripted fight. What happens if your unit... doesn't have a weapon? ...has a weapon on red durability? ...has a weapon with a 100% fail rate? ...has a range 1 or 2 weapon? ...has a lance equipped? ...has Wormwood equipped? ...can only use knives? The potential for hilarity is endless!

Well, I did check if Izerna could do it. Nope. But I wonder about those scenarios you propose.

ward_directs_his_army_of_fireflies_to_consume_the_enemy.png

Xfawzvlq o

And here begins the manifold-coded part of Berwick Saga--a very large number of events have alternate lines. For instance, here, Ward will instead say "With their leader captured..." if the player managed to capture Ritchens. There is also an extra bit of introduction if Reese and Izerna did not have their talk event during the chapter. Therefore, there are 2x2=4 variants of this scene.

Unfortunately, Tirnanog decided that the best way to tackle this problem was not to use "if x then y" statements, but rather to include every variant as its own separate conversation. During translation, this meant that I had to copy-paste many conversations (with only tiny changes) many times. This isn't a particularly fun piece of trivia; I just want you all to know my pain.

I'm a programming beginner, and let me tell you, that definitely does sound horrendous.

Finally, I was thinking about your title "The League shall fall if I'm in control" and was wondering why you chose to go with a non-rhyming name this time, but I just realized that in certain accents besides mine, "fall" and "control" can rhyme, as /fɔl/ and /kəntɹɔl/!  I feel suddenly enlightened. (For the record, in my accent, they're /fɑl/ and /kəntɹɔl/.)

Damn you, accents! I pondered deeply and that was the best rhyme I could come up with. But as it turns out, it doesn't even work half the time. Urgh...

On 3/23/2020 at 5:04 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

You know what Barbie said. Matthis hard.

You humongous son of a--

Jesus Christ on a bike. This is amazing.

23 hours ago, Benice said:

Berwicked... okay, that's good. Pretty good.

12 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Yes, actually funny you mention them because I recently watched videos of those people speaking in their native language and understanding each other through skype, I think it would be so much easier even irl where you can move your hands and point to things. Also you didn't mention the French and the Romanians, and good for you because they are intelligible for me, but apparently some Italians can understand them better. Man I love ranting about languages and being part of the latin family.

Babel did so much damage.

I really dislike how limiting FE7 is.... I think I'll post why I say that about it on the forest one day.

Yeah, that was the reason I dropped it way back in the day. It just doesn't have that much replayability.

Maybe that's how Vestaria Saga ended up looking so... not as great

Well, it's a damn good game, so who cares what it looks like. It's not like it has a pile of flaws on top of the bad looks, like a certain other game.

Of course, it doesn't hurt to look good. Case in point, this one.

THEN THAT MEANS HE'S A HENTAI PROTAGONIST!!!1!!

Oh goodness...

Holy fuck, it's good!

Oh yeah... and it's far from the best, believe you me.

(Also can be the noun itself and not a verb) When in doubt, look to latin and it says it means "desconocido".... what? I don't know, I suppose the name just comes from the fact you can move again as if a dancer danced or something... and you know, Nils and Leanne exist and they sing... I guess?

The Roger gave a pretty good explanation, but this one's fine too.

I still think it was some japanese asshat who wanted to piss me off. Me in particular. I am the protagonist of real life.

Maybe I should play so I can understand all of that which you just said but my laptop probably wouldn't run a PS2 game very smoothly

Might as well give it a shot! The more people play this game, the better.

Hmm... but then with how the enemy has more "turns" and this, does the game's pace not suffer from it at all? As in, go much slower?

Not at all, actually. It works precisely because both systems are working in tandem.

This reminds me of my Eliwood every time he levels up... damn.

Hahahahahah...

Well he's not wrong but I told ya! Eyeless dudes are hentai protagonists/extras.

Aurgh...

Ok seriously, what's up with giving mages and clerics less movement than other foot dudes? Like it's just so annoying, and with clerics it means you're always one movement short to heal your guys if you have them directly behind!

Brightbow explained why this is less of a problem as it could be, but... yeah, it's annoying. At least in this game it's only clerics, the mages we'll get have normal infantry movement.

It reminds me of something but I can'tquite pin it down... My mind is yelling Contra 4 and Super Famicom Wars at me but I don't think that's it...

If you do remember, tell me.

Ok this is bothering me, 25-14 isn't 17, so why is the enemy's hp at 17 here? Just a screenshot-in-the-middle-of-action thing?

Yeah, that's it. The HP gauge goes down rapidly, not instantly.

That's indeed a pretty neat feature, don't bet on FE doing that anytime soon.

Too much effort. I mean, they already have trouble naming 50-something characters without reusing past names. Looking at you, Hilda and Lorenz...

At first I thought Kaga really just trolled us with crappy blood but then I remember you like to put gore in here

Goddamnit... it's right there, in the disclaimers! Did nobody read that!?

Damn, 94% twice though, damn!

Not twice, that last screenshot was just poorly timed. Had he missed twice, he would've died.

Wait.. TRS and BWS are in the same universe? I also heard TRS is the same as in one of the FE universes, no?

TRS was meant to be in the same universe as the early FEs (Narcus was supposed to be Xane once), but then Kaga ran into legal troubles. BWS takes place hundreds of years after TRS. Refer to the BWS translation topic for a more in-depth backstory to both games.

BuuTT LiLiNNSA cANN do biGG BOOM-BAAAM!!11!

Hey, I do enjoy Lilina as a unit. She was one of the few survivors of my FE6 LP. But there's no denying that she's bad.

Hyuk hyuk, Claoudde a SScCHHHeemMEEeR, yu kno Dat?

Oh yeah, I 'member that scheme of his. It went, "boy I've been cornered by the Empire, but I've got a plan: we'll lay down here, cover our heads, and pray that Teach fixed Dimitri's brain and that they'll come to rescue our asses. My plan also counts on them forgiving us for attacking them at Gronder Field like the complete idiots we are. But I'm sure everything will work out - after all, I've got a plan!".

I bet you can't diss FE15! *hmmph*

Shadows of Valentia? I already have. I played it, enjoyed it enough until Nuibaba's Abode. The map design was bad enough up to then, but that map murdered the game for me. Second worst map I've ever played in any FE, only beaten by Reunion at Dawn. Because at least the Abode was beatable, by cheesing it with the retreat feature. Reunion at Dawn was the devs' punishment to me for using Hanneman and other faculty members instead of the students I started with.

...I ended up dissing Three Houses again instead. Great. I hope you guys can bear with me, because as you can plainly see, I am incapable of containing myself.

This looks like something that would happen in Kindergarten

What kind of Kindergarten did you grow up in, that has kids with such colorful vocabulary?

As someone who has LPed before.... yeah, I don't know myself either... I got them a few times I think.

It's awful. Awful, I tell you!

what's this about your grandpa? Is it the failling at screenshotting things, thing?

I meant to say that I have the reflexes of a grandpa. There, I said it. Happy?

Oof... my poor maternal family...

It's funny, though. Half my family is french, but I don't know a lick of french. Yet here I am, speaking english fluently.

It's a character from the last game. Somehow he's trascended the metaphorical boundaries of his LP and has become the protagonist of this one.

12 hours ago, Benice said:

How did we Leeve you in the dark like that?

This is my thread now. This.

11 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Well, you know what they say. All roads lead to Rome.

That's a quite uplifting take on the fact that my LP has been hijacked by puns with the name of some guy who doesn't even belong in the game at hand.

Can we make the reset counter for Reese deaths the "Reeset counter" just to fit with that pun?

...I will consider it.

2 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

About the word tort, it's kinda weird. Something tells me it does make sense for it to mean to twist but at the same time I don't know what word it could resemble in spanish. It's an interesting thing nonetheless though. (Ok that was funny)

Tortura. Simple as that, probably.

As I said above...

Also, I did warn that this may happen in the disclaimers section. But, then again, it appears absolutely nobody has even bothered to look that way...

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Yep. He's a healer with offensive capabilities (which in TRS is a rarity) that one can get very early. He saw a lot of use in the prior TRS Iron Man. Shortly into the LP (5th page, part 12), he got a bad level up leading (or Leeding) to Ruben asking if that's "RealLee" what he wants. Which led to me proclaiming "Leegad that's a bad pun. I expect a Leegion of better ones". Another member @Unknown Gamer11 proceeded to post "Oh you should be a little leenient, I'm sure if he seriouslee tried he could easilee come up with some leegitimately better puns.

"Oh you should be a little leenient, I'm sure if he seriouslee tried he could easilee come up with some leegitimately better puns.

I'll...I'll just leave now. Forever."

I then replied "Don't leeve. I'm sure this will inevitablee be something people start to do both intentionalee and subconsciouslee. We all just need to cut ourselves a little Lee-way. "
Turns out the joke was prophetic, and it realLee did Leek out into every aspect of the LP. And the next. But as much as I'd like to take credit for it, Ruben did it first. I just helped run it into the ground. Also I had to revisit the thread to get those quotes right. 

I was the one who started it!? But I was sure... no... w-what have I done...?! This is seriouslee shitty! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Update:

Spoiler
Je1yuvpp o

This scene's music is pretty epic.

Last time, we beat up some band-- deserters. Reese wouldn't stop critting everything, and the enemy commander got the last laugh.

Bu2xwrj1 o

Iybvnmul o

The entire army arrives behind us, and we dismount. No, we didn't recruit a bunch of new guys at Sara village. Berwick Saga likes to pretend that armies have hundreds of troops, even though in the gameplay there's 50 guys on the battlefield at most. Expect to see a lot more than our tiny army of seven in cutscenes.

3ryuy5h1 o

Whoops, ran into trouble! But surely Reese will use his protagonist powers to get through.

3cxl4xfi oWe are knights of Sinon, here to fulfill our duty to His Majesty. Please inform Duke Roswick that we have arrived.

7ajnehbu oFrom Sinon? We weren't informed of any knights coming from there. Besides, the Duke is too busy to deal with backwater savages. Get lost.

Vwxadcdi oº

Lgjkwhcy o Yeah... one point Berwick Saga tries to make quite clear from the beginning is that Reese is a complete nobody. He may be nobility, but really, in terms of clout, he only beats Ike when compared to his peers in the FE series. All Reese has to his name is a dad that's kind of a national hero. Other than that, he's just a kid with no experience leading or diplomatizing, he has no personal titles, his army is incredibly small (his cutscene army, I mean; it barely has a hundred soldiers, while just about everyone else has thousands of troops), and he comes from the tiniest country to the far west.

Meoilxpy oPeace, Ward. Please don't make a scene over something like this.

3cxl4xfi oBut milord...

Meoilxpy oMy subordinate speaks the truth. We have come to Navaron to join forces with His Majesty's army. I am Reese, heir to Sinon. Surely you have heard of my father, General Bernstol, at least?

9qk5ifz8 o Of course, since Reese only has a single card to his disposal, he immediately puts it to good use.

7ajnehbu oGeneral Bernstol? I-I have, but...

Lr9ccaix o1tbx5ynw o

9qk5ifz8 oSuddenly, characters with eyes! Sienna's a pretty amazing woman. As for her cohort, I expect no less than van milion puns with his name.

Y8ew3fye oGuardsman, what is going on here?

7ajnehbu oLord Vanmilion, sir! These audacious men are demanding an audience with the Duke!

Yr2jjyfh o

9qk5ifz8 oAt least the Eyeless Two have returned to their stations. I'm certain a civilized, blond-to-blond conversation will go smoother.

Y8ew3fye oI am Duke Roswick's son. And you are?

Meoilxpy oAh, excellent! I am Reese, son of Margrave Bernstol of Sinon. In response to His Majesty's summons, the Knights of Sinon have come to aid in the fight against the Raze Empire. I seek an audience with your father. If it's not too much trouble, could I ask for your assistance in this?

Zig1fg6v oThese men are from Sinon? The small domain in the west? How curious...

Meoilxpy oBeg your pardon...?

Rxvxj8ry o

9qk5ifz8 o Oh, yeah. Probably should've mentioned that. Sienna is the princess of Veria. Just passing by.

3c1rcrlb oKom6rq0u o

9qk5ifz8 oReese falls to his knees, and his troops follow suit. Elbert's a bit slower on the draw. Given his personality, I am not surprised. (He kneels with everyone else, I just took the screenshot too early)

Meoilxpy oYour Highness, and Lord Vanmilion... Please forgive our impudence! I am deeply embarrassed for my behavior, making a scene like this... I am not fit to stand before you. Please, Your Highness, you needn't trouble yourself any further on my lowly account.

Lgjkwhcy oJeez, calm down, Reese! You're talking like you tried to pinch her butt. C'mon, it wasn't you who "made a scene", it was No-Eyes overthere calling you backwater savages!

Zig1fg6v oGood sir, such formal etiquette is hardly called for in these simple circumstances. Sir Reese of Sinon, was it? I presume you have come here to assist in the liberation of our people from the tyranny of Raze... Do I presume correctly?

Meoilxpy oY-Yes, Your Majesty! Although I am ashamed to admit, our forces number less than a hundred... Despite that, however, my knights are proud warriors of the plains, and I vow we will serve you well.

Zig1fg6v oI can see the determination and virtue in your eyes, Lord Reese. They're so radiant and clear...

6k5zyvu5 o

Zig1fg6v oBut I see now that what was lost to my forefathers still lives on in the frontiers of Sinon.

Meoilxpy oI am... not sure what to say, Your Highness... I am just a simple man.

Zig1fg6v oStill, I thank you, and all of your knights, for your dedication and loyalty to this kingdom. Sir Vanmilion, please go and have proper accommodations prepared for Sir Reese and his knights.

Y8ew3fye oYes, Your Highness. Lord Reese, I'll arrange an audience for you with my father tomorrow. Until then, feel free to rest.

Ntekwwa6 o

9qk5ifz8 oWell, that was painless enough. Good thing the son of the place's Duke and the princess of the goddamned kingdom just happened to pass by, eh?

Meoilxpy oThank you for your hospitality, Lord Vanmilion.

Y8ew3fye oYou there, guard, escort Lord Reese and his knights to their lodgings.

7ajnehbu oYes, Lord Vanmilion!

Y8ew3fye oShall we continue on our way to see His Majesty, Your Highness?

Zig1fg6v oYes, let us. Thank you for escorting me. Do excuse me, Sir Reese. But before I go, allow me to ask a favor of you.

Zig1fg6v oMother Veria's wish is that those who suffer will be eased from their pain and hardship... And yet, this war will only bring more suffering to others... Can I count on you, Lord Reese?

4btc12vq o

9qk5ifz8 oDo you give the same speech to everybody, Sienna, or are Reese's eyes just that amazing?

Tjbnqyre oUfqfyzhs o

Another epic theme. I'm not sure if I'll do this with every scene, but this is one of my favourite pieces in the entire game.

At any rate, we're inside. I wonder how it would've played out if Sienna hadn't been nearby...

Meoilxpy oI was simply taken aback, is all. Her Highess was... not what I expected, to say the least.

3cxl4xfi oYes, she was quite something... I was surprised as well. It's like she's from an entirely different world than us, isn't it? Like the Goddess herself!

3cxl4xfi oRegardless, milord, let us focus on present matters. We have business to attend to.

Meoilxpy oIndeed. Let's go.

3cxl4xfi oBy the way, guardsman, what shall we do about our horses?

7ajnehbu oWorry not, sir. I will take care of them for you.

Lgjkwhcy oYou? But weren't we "backwater savages" just ten minutes ago...?

7ajnehbu oThey are no doubt tired after the long travel from Sinon, so we'll take them to the eastern stables.

3cxl4xfi oThank you. However, I must insist that you take great care with our horses.

Reqp23iv o

7ajnehbu oUnderstood, sir! Please leave it to us.

Lgjkwhcy oNo chance that this will go wrong. Not in the slightest, no siree. This guy is, after all, practically our best friend.

7ajnehbu oLord Reese, you and your knights will be given lodging here, in the West House. Previously, it was the late Lord Carron's personal mansion here in the city. It is a grand estate, easily capable of housing over a hundred people, so it should suit you well.

3cxl4xfi oWho is this Lord Carron? Did something happen to him?

Lgjkwhcy oWell, I reckon he probably died, considering he called him late Lord Carron... Ward, c'mon, get your ears out of your beard and listen!

7ajnehbu oLord Carron was Duke Roswick's younger brother and the finest knight in all of Narvia. When the late King Mordias first rallied troops against the Empire, he joined His Majesty in battle. However...

3cxl4xfi oHe perished along with the rest of His Majesty's soldiers...

7ajnehbu oI'm afraid so.

Meoilxpy oWhat a tragic loss... Ward, we mustn't let Lord Carron's sacrifice be in vain. For his sake, we must do our utmost to assist the League in any way that we can.

Lgjkwhcy oNow you're being sentimental over some guy you didn't even know? Okay, Reese.

Pirud6bc o

9qk5ifz8 oThat's more like it.

3cxl4xfi oA populous duchy like Narvia is bound to have had many casualties since the early days of the war. No doubt many of the citizens here have lost fathers, brothers, husbands and sons already...

Rkwmrexa o

Dkdf6cns o

Qepgvbdl o

9zbgqijx o

I'd call Tianna the third protagonist, even though she doesn't participate in battles. She's the reliable one, so to speak.

Ps4nmuuw oI have been assigned to serve as your housekeeper and secretary for all matters here in the city. If you have any questions regarding the estate, or if you have any errands you wish me to perform...

Meoilxpy o......

Ps4nmuuw oIs something the matter, milord?

Meoilxpy oIt's just... When Lord Vanmilion said he'd send his subordinate over, I didn't expect a maid...

Lgjkwhcy oWhat kind of a way to welcome somebody is that?

Ps4nmuuw o...will my presence be an issue?

Meoilxpy oN-No, not at all! Miss Tianna, was it? I'm grateful to have someone who can help us get our bearings here.

Ps4nmuuw oYou're very welcome. You can count on me, milord!

Zo7vuq35 o

Txzubig9 o Pfffft! Yes, excellent. I'm glad that you've completely ignored his first request. Off to a great start with you, I see!

Qgcflgkx o

Ps4nmuuw oIt would likely take several days to give you a proper tour, so I will keep my introductions to places of import.

9qk5ifz8 oThat includes a restaurant, a tavern and an abbey. Somehow, they truly are places of import.

Ps4nmuuw oBut first, allow me to show you the accommodations available here at the West House. I do hope that you will find all the basic necessities of life taken care of during your stay.

Ps4nmuuw oIf you would please follow me...

I1dopvcr o

This is going to be a bit of a tutorial. Tianna will show us all the locations to be found here in Navaron.

If you haven't caught on yet, Navaron will be our base of operations during the entire game. Think Garreg Mach Monastery, only there's all sorts of facilities to use here, instead of just flavor conversations, a thousand different ways to increase supports and an awful fishing minigame.

Kelkjwjd o

Speaking of awful things, the vault! The vault is supposed to be the "convoy", in a way.

Ps4nmuuw oPlease feel free to use it for storing your own possessions. These two bags before you have been laid out for your personal use, as well. I do hope that you will be able to put them to good use. They can be very convenient, if you run out of hands to hold your belongings!

9qk5ifz8 oYou put stuff you don't wanna carry into battle, like materials, in bags, and then you leave the bags here.

Lgjkwhcy oThe fundamental problem with this is that, even if you have to carry a couple materials around, that's still 6 more inventory spaces if you give the bag to a unit. If you leave it here, you'll get fuck all. For me, all this room does is give me two free bags at the start of the game. Bags are just far too good to leave them here collecting dust.

2vnkdmga o

Next up is Reese's room!

Ps4nmuuw oThis room has been set aside for your personal use, milord. I tried to spruce it up nicely in anticipation of your arrival, but... We hardly had anything in the way of decoration save for the curtains. I do not know what sort of color scheme you prefer, so I hope that red is acceptable. If you would prefer to replace them, you are free to do so.

Lgjkwhcy oI'm fairly certain that replacing the curtains is impossible. Tianna, you liar. Where's my green curtains? Must I hang my cloak over the window?

Ps4nmuuw oIndeed, if anything here in the West House is not to your satisfaction, please do not hesitate to inform me.

Fnni5deq o

Theme of Navaron. (It's actually a little different than the one I linked at the replies!)

Ps4nmuuw oIt boasts quite superior confinement, as no prisoner is ever known to have escaped from the dungeon. Most often, we ransom our prisoners with the Empire in exchange for our soldiers whom they have captured. If you capture an enemy soldier and have them imprisoned here, their fate will usually be left to your discretion.

9qk5ifz8 oThis is what capturing is good for (aside from getting the enemy's items, of course). If you capture an enemy, you can send them back to the Empire for money. It's a nice little boost to the army's finances. If any of your own units have been captured, you can trade them back too. However, this only applies to Imperial troops and Razite clergy. People like bandits cannot be ransomed, as their bosses won't care about losing a mook or two.

5upu1pl4 o

You can't enter anywhere during Tianna's tour, as it's one continuous scene, but for the sake of streamlining things I'm going to combine the tour's footage with scenes of the places themselves. All the NPCs here have special dialogue when you first talk to them.

Rcymypww oMakes guarding easy, at least. We've never had an escapee in all the time I've been here.

Yabc8xil o

Vl2zdl9y o'Course, we don't have any prisoners right now, but I've still got to guard this place...

Ps4nmuuw oLet us head now to the city.

Kyrw1uwd o

Ps4nmuuw oThanks to the city's strategic location on Baltic Bay of the Sea of Berre, trade and commerce have flourished. Most of your weapons and medicines for battle can be bought here. Various shops specialize in swords, spears, axes, bows, shields, and all other tools of warfare. Their stock changes all the time, so if you've left on missions, it may be worthwhile to visit them again.

Yomje5nz o

N2dit7qa oThey say the sword is the most common weapon, but our swords are far from common quality! As for knives, people tell me that while they're weak, they're good at getting through armor. We've got a big variety in stock, so be sure to look closely!

Qr4tuaul o

N2dit7qa oWhat with the Empire prowling about, we've had most of our shipments put on hold for now. Nothing I can do about it. That's you guys' job, right? If the situation improves, though, we'll probably be back to having stock with variety. Regardless, if you're just looking to get your hands on a new sword, I'm your man.

Txzubig9 oCan I have your mustache? It looks like a better weapon than anything you've got on the scabbards.

9qk5ifz8 oJokes aside, this is the current situation with all the shops. They only have basic weaponry. As time goes on, they'll gain better gear for us to purchase. Sherlock will have to wait a little longer before he can be useful, I'm afraid.

40eykknq o

Oxm8ceei oI think having good defenses is vital to surviving on the battlefield. That's why I sell shields. A great many soldiers fell recently because they failed to properly protect themselves. Of course, just having a shield isn't enough to protect you perfectly. You have to know how to use it, too. And if you do know how to, you won't regret having one on you! However, I must admit that we're rather low on stock right now... My father can tell you the details. Either this coming month or the next, I think we'll be able to get much better merchandise in stock.

9qk5ifz8 oI know, I know, this is the exact same thing as Savat's introduction. This is going to be a bit of a drawn-out update. However, all of these characters will have their roles to play in sidequests and the like, so I'd like you to meet them now. Also, the fact that even the shopkeeps have faces and personalities is impressive to me, and I want everybody to appreciate it.

S4zfwd2z o

Bey0rny7 oWelcome to my shop! The name's Pejj, and I sell spears. What's so great about spears? Well, they're precise and cheap! And what's more, they're reliable. I'd love to show off my wares to you, but there's not really much to show off this time of year.

T8efjnok o

Lgjkwhcy oWho in the world conscripts blacksmiths? What kind of an idiot is in charge of things here?

Bey0rny7 oStill, there's still enough around to keep business going, long as you know who to talk to. Come back in a few weeks, and I'll be able to offer you some better spears. Thanks in advance!

Jmu9bfx0 o

4f7glult oPlus, they're cheap to boot. Swords and spears are pretty, but there's nothing better than an axe. Thing is, as old man Pejj says, we're short on stock these days. I bet you anything the reason the League isn't doing well these days is 'cause we can't get them proper axes!

4f7glult oAxes! Axes! Axeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Meoilxpy o...is he always like this?

Bey0rny7 oEr, kinda... he really likes his axes.

Ps4nmuuw oLet's move on to the next shop, Lord Reese...

Meoilxpy oStop calling me "Lord" Reese, Tianna...

Ps4nmuuw oSorry, Lord Reese!

Meoilxpy o......

4f7glult oAxes!

V02r7uiu o

Phrbyqeh oSad to say it, but I was recently forced to sell the Verian Army my best stock for next to nothing... Yeah, I know they're fighting for us, but at a certain point they're doing us more harm than good! 'Cause of them, all I've got is cheap stuff right now. With any luck, I'll be able to offer better wares again in the future.

Lgjkwhcy oWhy do you have an overgrown version of Hitler's mustache? And why do you have a second, frowning mouth on your chin? And what kind of a name is Bluck?

Vu4urppl o

2wzfebz7 oNaturally, if you want to use a bow or a crossbow, you'll need arrows. Or bolts for ballistae. A good archer keeps all kinds of arrows on hand for every situation. Arrows that are sharper, or more accurate, or with drugged tips... All arrows are different!

Iomczhmx o

2wzfebz7 oThe thing is, we probably won't have any good stock until next month. Sorry about that...

9qk5ifz8 oD'awww... poor girl. It was a good speech, no worries. But no, seriously, why does your dad have Hitler's mustache?

2wzfebz7 o...Who is "Hitler", sir?

Uedfz3v4 o Gah! Ergh... that is... it's not...! How did you hear me...?! You can't possibly... You're not...!

Meoilxpy oPlease forgive my tactician. We picked him up on the way from Sinon. I don't think he's... all there.

2wzfebz7 oOh...

Uedfz3v4 o...what is... what is happening here... this shouldn't be possible...!

0e8734jr o

Ps4nmuuw oAs I'm sure you are unfortunately aware, horses are killed surprisingly often in battle. If that happens to you, you can come here and purchase a new horse. This ranch imports horses from all across the Berwick League, some of them are quite expensive! Be sure to spend your money wisely and treat your horses with care. However, they naturally do not have an unlimited amount of horses in stock at all times. If they run out of horses, you will have to wait until they re-stock them, which could take weeks.

9qk5ifz8 oIn other words, there's a number of horses available each chapter. If you lose 'em, them's the breaks. Gotta wait till the next chapter - read, three maps.

Ypjbtv7y o

I always imagined Carmal speaks with a heavy texan accent. Something like this. He just has that kind of face.

Y1y65ybu oAnd of course, there's not just one kind of warhorse, no siree! Coursers, destriers, chargers, rounceys, palfreys... Plus all the diverse breeds there are! Sinonese horses are known for their speed, while Morachian Warhorses are big and tough... That said, fancy horses like those are generally beyond the size of most people's wallets.

Lgjkwhcy oNo kidding. Horses are extremely expensive. The cheapest kind of horse is the thin one. It dies in three good hits and costs a full grand. Good thing we have a bunch of horses with enough HP to last us a few chapters, eh?

Y1y65ybu oBut even among the common breeds, there are variations in stamina, size, age, and whatnot. And you never know if you're going to like a horse till you ride it, so feel free to test-ride them yourself. And finally, I know you're buying 'em for war, but please treat 'em well. I'd hate to see them get killed.

9kkq7twl o

Ps4nmuuw oThe owner, Mr. Danton, has hired two wonderful artisans. The first is a blacksmith who makes weaponry and shields. I believe his name is Orlando. The other is a mage-alchemist named Lumiere. She crafts potions and salves, as well as magical orbs for people who have the Duchy's permission. In recent months, they have lowered their prices in exchange for customers being required to supply materials. In any case, the goods the two of them create are one-of-a-kind, not found in any other store. If you happen to collect enough materials, I highly suggest giving this atelier your business.

Uzewx2c8 o

This guy, on the other hand, I always imagined as having a voice kinda like this. Just, constantly high-pitched and overemoting.

Ilrbpdns oLumiere and Orlando here will make you different crafts from all kinds of materials you bring 'em. Lumiere's a master alchemist. These days, she's slowly rediscovering the lost art of making magical orbs. Orlando's a blacksmith. He makes the finest-crafted weapons I ever did lay my eyes on. We've also got storage for items if you want to set them aside for one of those two to use later.

Lgjkwhcy oOh yeah, this is another thing that makes the West House's vault worthless. If you don't want to carry materials around, you can just leave them at the atelier. It's not like there's any other place to use 'em.

Ilrbpdns oGo and have a chat with them! They're friendly folks. Just let them know what you want to have made. They'll take whatever materials you want to hand over, and once they've got all the ones they need, poof! They'll make you a brand-spankin' new weapon or whatever in no time!

9qk5ifz8 oBrand-spankin' new weapon or whatever. That's... an expression, certainly.

Ilrbpdns oBut this ain't a charity, so our cost for commissioning the item is about a fifth of the final item's worth. But hey, it's still cheaper than buying it outright, ain't it?

Lgjkwhcy oYeah, especially since you can't buy it outright.

Ilrbpdns oSo, what're you waitin' for? Please, take a look around and see what catches your fancy! Look forward to doing business with you!

9qk5ifz8 oOki-dokie, then. What "brand-spankin' new weapons or whatever" can I get with this fine piece of lumber I was given the other day?

Dtwiy008 o

Absolutely nothing is what, because all weapons require three materials and a base weapon. Lumiere makes magic and consumables, which only require three materials. Either way, there's nothing I can do just yet.

Whatever. Let's see what they've got to say.

Fbns4g5t o

Biklshgy oI can use alchemy to craft orbs and healing potions for you, but I'll need you to gather the materials for me... Mr. Danton likes to advertise this system as a service, but really, it's only in place because of the war... Because of the Imperial occupation in the north, it's been difficult finding sufficient supplies for our crafts. So please, bear with us for the time being until the economy recovers. We really appreciate it.

9qk5ifz8 oDon't sweat it. The stuff you and Orlando make is more than worth the hassle. They're some of the best items in the game. By the way, notice that she spoke of orbs. Magic in this game is casted through orbs, not tomes. A nice bit of flavor change, I suppose.

Rvqeax3v o

Tb9vqadg oI make all sorts of equipment from whatever materials I can get my hands on. So, what can I make you? Well, I've got a catalogue here of all the materials I need for my products. If you can bring me the materials and the commission fee, I'll make you something real high-quality!

9qk5ifz8 oSo that's it for the Atelier's proper employees, but as you can plainly see, they're not the only people here. Let's see what those three have to say.

Lpfpa7l9 o

Mx3eqvmw oThese days, you can order anything from across the continent and get it delivered to you in six months flat! Modern trade is truly a technological and logistical marvel all on its own. As I always say, the future is now! I've always got new and exciting wares coming in, be sure to check back with me often!

9qk5ifz8 oAside from being way too happy about something, Palitzschtzchsztchtzstzchz has a static list of materials that he'll receive as time goes on. They can all be obtained in the main campaign, but most materials can be used for two items. I think Palitzsch sells those that cannot be found twice throughout the game. Maybe. Haven't checked.

Bktzgbh5 o

Zvbsl5tm oPeople call me a loan shark, but I prefer the term "pawnbroker." Lemme tell you how it goes down. You need money? I've got it. But I ain't just gonna give it away. You gotta give me some collateral. Bring me something you could live without for a while, and I'll give you a little loan based on what it's worth. Then, once you've got more cash, you're free to buy your stuff back out of hock... plus interest, of course. So, what'll it be?

9qk5ifz8 oHalfmann (who's Wholemann, then? Hanneman?) is the worst loan shark in the history of the world. You can give him anything, take thousands of his money, and then just leave him with the trash the entire game, and he never sends anyone to break Reese's kneecaps. Maybe he's just scared of Ward.

Yzjpjkmz o

Ucqrmgfp oBut out of all that I saw on my myriad travels, naught could compare to the rare and fine furniture I found! Why am I here, then, you ask? To tell the truth, I brought far too much furniture... and now I've gone bankrupt. And so, I've been forced to sell my wonderful furniture in order to pay off my travel debts. Thankfully, my friend Danton has generously allowed me to peddle my fine furniture here.

9qk5ifz8 oIs this the greatest backstory or what?

Afifxgtl o

Txzubig9 oYes. Yes it is.

Ucqrmgfp oYou see, this furniture has mystical powers! Do not doubt me! I speak truly! You will find that every piece of my furniture is well worth the price! Not to mention, it'll make your room look simply fabulous!

Lgjkwhcy oRight... this guy is one of the biggest memes of Berwick Saga, for a very simple reason. Let's talk to him again.

Ucqrmgfp oEnhance your quality of life with these quality furnishings! I think you'll find that this furniture is quite a cut above the rest, thanks to my discerning eye for beauty.

Atyrch6q o

Good prices. This is what we should spend our war funds on. A fucking tapestry that costs 45 grand. Reese can hang it on his wall so that each night, when he goes to sleep, he'll remember what a complete imbecile he was that day.

John wasn't lying, though. These do have "mystical powers". Stuff like giving Reese (and Reese alone) 3 avoid, or increasing his HP growth by 10%. Yeah... a couple of these are cool (the coffers and the chest can be opened for items every chapter, the tapestry increases Reese's Commander range), but there's only one that I'd say is worth its price: the art: "Revival". It grants Reese Armsthrift. Reese will get some damn kickass weapons later on, and considering it's one of the cheapest things here, it can be worth considering. Everything else, though? Trash, trash and more trash. Let Johnny keep most of his junk, if he loves furniture so much.

Kvzbqldg o

Ps4nmuuw oIn that case, let us take a short rest in this restaurant. It is called the Kingfisher Pavilion. It is one of the most well-known restaurants in this city. Its owner, Ms. Marybelle, is an excellent cook. I suppose that the apparent quality of the food will depend on the dish and the person eating it... But the majority of customers report feeling invigorated and rejuvenated after eating here. Rumor has it this is because they only select the choicest ingredients for each of their dishes. I definitely recommend spending time at the Kingfisher Pavilion if you have some extra time and money.

9qk5ifz8 oThe Pavilion! Reese and another nine units (I think it was nine, anyway) can come here to stuff their mouths. Each dish grants different bonuses, which also depend on whether the unit likes it or not. It's a bit complicated. Eating is also important for another reason. I'll elaborate on that later.

1pn8vojv oRwr751yk o

9rzp5b8w oI hope you enjoy your stay here! I'm Arina. I'll be your waitress. The woman behind bar is the owner and cook, Ms. Marybelle.

Pj4xam53 oEven in sad times like these, it's important to sit down and have a good meal, don't you agree? Just take a seat, relax, and forget about the war for a while, okay? Naturally, all of your soldiers are welcome to join you, as well.

9rzp5b8w oAnd now, for the menu! We've got the finest cuisine in the whole duchy! We change up our dishes every month so that there's lots of variety! We also have daily specials to keep the variety flowing every day. Chef's choice! Not to mention that all our food is full of good nutrients guaranteed to make you feel energized. Please, take your time perusing the menu and order your favorite!

Txzubig9 oSounds good! I'll have--

Avdfmiaz o

Lgjkwhcy oSon of a-- you lied to me! You said I should peruse my menu and all that garbage! I'm never coming back to this establishment!

0ds2oi4q o

Ps4nmuuw oA large number of the mercenaries in Navaron have contracts with this guild to find work. This particular guild also servers as the local hub for bounty hunters looking to claim large prizes. If you have the time, I would advise taking a look at their rogues gallery to be aware of the targets.

Gxxe38s3 o

Vqoe2ro0 oAll of our targets are listed here along with the prize offered. If you capture or take out one of them, please let us know. My buddy Valery here takes care of most of the bounty hunting work. He'll help you with all that.

Hidesdt0 o

Ons14mdv oWe provide information here for the bounties placed on various criminals. Most of our mercenaries do bounty hunting work when they're not hired as soldiers. If you've got any questions about the way we do bounty hunting work, ask away.

9qk5ifz8 oAll right, so who's got a target on their back?

Pojgoc9i o

Lgjkwhcy o...All right, then. Sure. Well, let's see what that other person has to say.

Bnytb8ug o

Wait... Dean?

Aj4jgi9s oGiocee2b o

...What?! But I recruited you, Dean! You were playable! And where's Izerna?! What's going on?

Cueerzpt o

Well... this is another mechanic that I quite love. You know how, in FE, most mercenaries will join you under some flimsy pretense, like "I count on getting paid after the war" or something like that? No such luck here. Over half of the playable roster are mercenaries. If you want their help, you'll have to pay up, and they'll only join you for the current chapter. Each unit has a different price (more powerful mercs are more expensive), and the fee goes up as they level up. Also, the fees are halved if you're recruiting the merc for a secondary mission. Dean would've asked me to fork almost 1000 if this was before the main mission.

Remember how, in the last map, I told you to keep in mind the symbols next to the units' names? Permanently recruited units have circles. The entire Sinon platoon is permanently recruited from the start. Diamonds like the ones Dean and Izerna had, however, are only for guest units - they're playable for the time being, but they'll leave at some point or another.

Mercenaries can be permanently recruited, but each one has a different requirement. For instance, Dean has to kill 60 people and Izerna needs to survive. Most often, it has to do with their personal stories and with the hidden happiness stat. It is raised in three main ways: hiring, deploying and eating. In other words, to recruit a unit, you have to use them, show them some love, and see them through their character arcs. It's great, I like it.

O1dht0nq o

Ps4nmuuw oIt is a popular meeting place for peddlers, mercenaries, and common citizens passing through the city. Because of this, taverns like Mr. Alex's are excellent places to gather rumors circulating through Navaron. All of what you hear should be taken with a grain of salt, of course, but it is still worth the occasional listen.

9qk5ifz8 oMost of those things really only amount to making the tavern a popular place for sidequests to begin. As a location, the local tavern's the same as the mercenary guild, with some units that you can hire. Simply a more thematically appropriate place for those dudes in particular to hang out. I appreciate the attention to detail. The tavern is introduced before the guild, by the way, but I rearranged the sequences. Made it easier to explain mercs and all.

Brz0c7fv o

Xhqpmjzv oWe get all sorts of hustle and bustle in this place every day. Townspeople, mercenaries, soldiers... Sure, it gets rowdy, but what better way to fight the Empire than to show 'em we can still have a good time!

Lgjkwhcy oClearly Reese disagrees, for if we speak to Alex again...

Xhqpmjzv oWelcome! Come on in! Can I get you anything to drink? No? Suit yourself, then.

Lgjkwhcy o Yeah... unless you make him, Reese will rarely ever set foot in this place. Ward and Tianna are the ones we'll most commonly find here.

9qk5ifz8 oWell, whatever. There's only one unit available here, at the time.

8f5lnmhj o

...I don't think I will, thanks. You sport all the distinctive signs of the Edgelordus Maximus, a species of baboon that I find to be quite the obnoxious pest.

Tarmowjs o

Ps4nmuuw oThis is the Temple of Veria here in Navaron. I will not go into great detail regarding the founding of this temple, but I assure you it is a thrilling tale. One of the Church's four Archbishops, Archbishop Lebough, is the head of this particular temple. Since the Archbishop is busy so often, however, High Priestess Quescria oversees most temple functions.

9qk5ifz8 oThere's a name we've heard before.

Ps4nmuuw oInside the temple, there are small shops where clergy can purchase light magic spells for healing use. If you're not familiar with how orbs work, they can only be used properly with dedicated training. As such, the purchase and sale of orbs is generally restricted to those with training from the Church.

Lgjkwhcy oThat's a filthy lie. Only mages and their ilk can use orbs, but anyone can buy them. Unless you're telling me 0-mag Reese has training from the Church?

Ps4nmuuw oIf you happen to enlist the aid of any members of the cloth, they can replenish their supply of orbs here.

Tgjora1u o

Oamyzsky oThe current policy is only to sell orbs to those who have proven that they can use them properly... That is, to those who have received the teachings of Mother Veria. Untrained individuals can cause serious harm to themselves or others if they attempt to use magic. As such, if any of your soldiers are users of magic, I ask that they not neglect their daily training.

2avkpobr o

2d3gjvxf oAs part of my service, I sell medicines and other useful items to visitors. I have been told these potions are quite invaluable for soldiers. Sadly, there are not enough clergy to accompany all of His Majesty's forces.

2lnyuu7f o

Txzubig9 o ......

Bgpw6u38 oEchvz3j9 o

There's a library in the temple, but it's presently empty. Moving on.

Qx8wabt2 o

Ps4nmuuw oFirst, there is the local abbey. Originally a home for temple sisters, it is now a hospital for the infirm. The treatment is paramount in quality, and they treat all patients equally. If any of your knights become badly injured, I advise bringing them here to be treated.

9qk5ifz8 oIf a unit ends a chapter crippled (regardless of whether or not they were captured), they will have to sit the entire chapter out. The abbey is established to be the place where those units stay to recover. However, like the tavern, in the gameplay all it does is house a couple mercenaries.

S2cpfyky o

Zlonc8lu oHere, we take in those who are ill and injured and take care of them as best as we can. I pray that you will bring a swift end to this war, so that these poor people won't have to suffer anymore...

T7hmvj9t o

Xkynbhhs oBut how could we call ourselves true followers of Veria if we turned them away in their hour of need?

8mogph6j o

Rbumtcrb oI'm a darn good swimmer, too. Ain't a soul in this city with better sea legs than me! My current askin' price is 350D. How's that?

9qk5ifz8 oQuite excellent. Axel is one of my favourite units. We'll see what he has to offer later.

H1hx7vnq o

One more place, and the tour will be over.

C39nxbqz o

...w-we totally won't have to come back here. Not a chance.

Ps4nmuuw oAnd with that finished, let us return to the West House.

Qj7g5yha o

Ps4nmuuw oNavaron is not a city one can get used to in merely a day, so I want to encourage you to explore it yourself. The citizens here are honest and good people, and it is a privilege to live here among them. There is much in this world that can only be learned by listening to the hearts of the common man.

9qk5ifz8 oThis is where you're supposed to go and talk to everyone, after learning a bit about what each place does. However, since I already showed it all...

Dsehxaot o

Zd2e2zfz o

There's nothing left to do but return to the office. We started the tour there, but I haven't yet explained what you can do there.

Sctltgnh o

In the office, you can--

Fqddblha o

Meoilxpy oWhat happened?

3cxl4xfi oIt's our horses, milord! They've been stolen!

Uedfz3v4 o Stolen!? Egads! But we left them with the most reliable man around - the eyeless guy who had just ten minutes earlier called us backwater savages! How could this possibly have happened?!

Meoilxpy oWhat?! How did this happen?

3cxl4xfi oThe guard at the city gate said our horses were to be kept in the eastern stables here in the city. I left them in his care, but when I went to check on them just now...

Meoilxpy o...They weren't there?

3cxl4xfi oI'm afraid not, milord. I considered informing Lord Vanmilion of this issue, but...

Meoilxpy oNo, that would only cause more work for him.

Pefm5ld2 o

3cxl4xfi oUnderstood, milord. But what shall we do? Without our horses, we're vulnerable...

Meoilxpy oThere's no time for regrets, Ward. Gather whatever information you can about these thieves, and take action!

3cxl4xfi oYes, Lord Reese!

Ps4nmuuw oI will also do what I can to help, Lord Reese!

9qk5ifz8 oBerwick Saga wastes no time before it teaches you one basic lesson: horses are a luxury. All those awesome Sinonese horses with inmense HP bars and +2 speed bonuses? Gone. Everybody is now an infantry unit, unless we go to Carmal and buy them new horses.

Ahfvl8hm oMxwozcmb o7wubcgxx oKtbd3kgj o

Anyway, firstly, some inventory management. Christine shares her supply of medicine with the team, while Sherlock shares his own stock of arrows with her. I'm just sad that I can't divide that pack of iron arrows. They're a big part of why Christine's early performance is so much better than Sherlock's. And no, Teresa doesn't have any.

Yllsqusc oLo2gpdny o

Speaking of Teresa, we go to her dad to buy a new bow for Sherlock, since his iron bow is half broken already. I also got one for Christine, so she's got some more range.

Itqacgym oNm3dhrgr o

Look at this nonsense. Bluck's cheap-ass bow, compared to the one Sherlock brought from home. Sure, it's bad, but at least it has more than 1 might! No wonder he couldn't do anything in chapter 1!

Ugesazhe o

The short shopping spree done, I return to the office. We can speak to Tianna to save, load, sell items, begin missions, and other such actions.

Yaubv79r o7zv4fdyv o

Nice little flavor text to "canonize" the action of saving the game.

Lyhgbimf o

There we go. Now...

Omuh9qfg o

Gimme gimme gimme!

0zkzropp oIsa754nw o

Leon and Elbert take the two free bags.

3syee1kv o

Maybe I'll do some more menu managing later. For now, let's have some more text. This location appeared as soon as the tour was over. Soon you'll understand what it is.

Psexhjat oRlz32uvl o

Pmxgxcze o

3cxl4xfi oThose townspeople seem to be rather upset about something...

Meoilxpy oI suppose so, yes.

Kunlrr52 o

Irluzysr oBeg your pardon?

Tkrusneq oSomeone's been killed again. On one of the roads to the city.

3cxl4xfi oAgain? Is this a common occurrence on this road you speak of?

Tkrusneq oYeah, lately. Five people this month. Last month it was eight.

3cxl4xfi oHow despicable... Who would do such a thing?

Tkrusneq oThe Muthay Gang, that's who.

3cxl4xfi oMuthay Gang...? Tell me more of these thugs.

Tkrusneq oGoing east of here, you can go around Mt. Neville or follow the road by the river passing through it. The Muthay Gang guards that road these days, attacking and robbing any poor unsuspecting fool who uses it. They're a gang of bandits led by a pair of twins, Griff and Graff. They're horrible people.

Gijsgst3 oOwqrarz6 o

Fkn3oxsy oAnd they're not just satisfied with taking our loved ones away from us...

Tkrusneq oWheat and vegetable harvests, cloth and lumber shipments... You name it, they steal it. We pooled our money to put in a request for the mercenaries at the guild here, but... We haven't had any takers yet.

Lgjkwhcy oWait, what? Hold your horses! Valery said there weren't any bounties yet!

Pojgoc9i o

Uedfz3v4 o...something's terribly wrong here, and I hope it's just that Valery is bad at his job...

Tkrusneq oThe guild says to just give it time, but we can't just sit here waiting!

3cxl4xfi oHow tragic... My deepest condolences.

Fkn3oxsy oYou're a knight, aren't you? You could do something about the Muthay Gang, couldn't you?

Yhifcp21 oPlease, Sir! If there's anything you can do, anything at all...!

2t8ulpih o

9qk5ifz8 oIt is scenes like these that I was thinking of when I stated that Ward is like the game's second protagonist. In any regular FE story, these lines would belong to the protagonist. However, in BWS, you'll find that Ward will often take the initiative. In fact, he'll get plenty of moments where Reese won't even be featured at all.

3cxl4xfi oLord Reese, do I have your permission to handle this matter?

Meoilxpy oI understand your compassion, Ward, but this isn't why we came here. We can't just go taking on mercenary jobs for every sob story we hear.

Txzubig9 oSeriously, I love it. It's a complete role reversal: the old veteran's being the upstanding hero of the people, while the young lord is being the Merlinus who thinks helping folks is a waste of time. Well, I mean, it's not quite that, but you get what I'm saying.

Meoilxpy oSinon has a duty to His Majesty. I must remain on call here at all times for when our orders come in.

3cxl4xfi oI understand, milord, but what of our other soldiers? Could we not spare a few of them to deal with this bandit issue?

Meoilxpy o...I will consider it. Ask among the soldiers who would be willing to go on this errand.

Lgjkwhcy o...of course, one thing that isn't quite so lovable is that this is the reason why Reese and Ward have "shaky availability": For most of the game, they can only be deployed in main missions. That means one mission out of each chapter's three.

9qk5ifz8 oStill, It's not so bad, because most sidequests are far less complex than the main missions, so Reese and Ward's assistance isn't so direly needed. Also, a lot of the sidequests revolve around secondary characters in the army, so that'll allow them their own time under the spotlight.

3cxl4xfi oUnderstood, Lord Reese!

Fkn3oxsy oThank you both!

Tkrusneq oDo take care, good knights...

Cmpqcirg oHttf2lhi o

That was pretty uplifting. However, before we depart, let's hire some extra muscle.

Pguwq76d o

...ergh...

Lvqpac3r o

Yeah, I'm good, thanks.

Xhmawkvk o

Yeah. What're you gonna do about it? The last edgy guy who came to me spent most of the war behind a counter selling weapons, not using them. And the ones before him died. You wanna play rough? 'Cause I can play rougher.

...that didn't come out right. Let's just leave him to his drink, now...

U35sgips oUcbprdvr o

As usual, the edgeman is absolutely amazing. He's much higher level than anybody in our army (discounting the endgame beard of course), his stats are godly, and he has a top-notch skillset.

- We know Adept and Deathmatch. He's better at Deathmatching than Leon, too.

- Despoil will grant a sum of money for each enemy that Volo defeats. This could potentially cover his fee, but that'd require feeding a bunch of enemies to Volo. Given the exp situation of this game, that might not be for the best.

- Iaido (or is it Laido? Accursed "i"s and "l"s, why are you always so confusing!?) is Aim but unreliable, because it has to proc. It's... meh.

- Blade allows Volo to equip an assortment of swords (usually heavier and mightier than the rest) that others cannot use.

Really good unit. 10/10, I'm never using him.

By the way, note that his weapon, the shamshir, is blue. You may recall that Dean's axe was also blue in chapter 1. Blue weapons are the mercenaries' own belongings, and you cannot make them trade those away. For the most part it's just basic weaponry, but it always hurts to see a blue bag on somebody you don't intend to use.

Mwm6goom oDjxnnq2l o

Axel is more interesting. He's an axeman with somewhat worse stats than Dean. He also cannot promote. However, I'd argue that his skillset is more versatile:

- Swimmer, unlike in the GBA games, is actually useful here. Water is a lot more common than in FE, with rivers and lakes often serving as natural barriers in maps. Axel suffers no penalties from moving through water. He walks right through like he's friggin' Jesus. This will be extremely useful in plenty of situations, starting with the very next map.

- Search can be used on certain tiles (usually there'll be a little sparkle on the tile that pops up every now and then) to discover items. Sometimes, however, this will lead to a deathmatch with some bandit or thief. Deathmatch as in, the skill - that is, five consecutive battles that work like classic FE battles. Losing these ones isn't deadly (it'll leave the searcher at 1 HP), but you'll often lose the reward if you cannot win. That's where Axel really shines; there are two other searchers, but they're both thieves - and as all thieves, they're fragile and weak. Axel, though? Give him the right axe, and he'll plow right through anybody.

- Robbery does exactly what it says there. It's not very reliable, but it's an okay way to get items, if you can savescum the robbery. And, of course, it's always a pleasant surprise when it happens out of nowhere. It can only be used a few times in any given battle, though. I think four times is the maximum?

- Pulverize can only be used instead of moving. It also reduces defense to 0, like Desperation, though it lacks all of the other downsides that Desperation has. However, if you can land the hit, more often than not that'll be the end of that. I mean, just take his humble iron axe. A Pulverize hit from base Axel with that axe has you looking at a whopping 42 might. You'd need a pretty formidable defense to survive that!

- Hide works in terrain like forests and houses. You wait in one of those, and Axel will become invisible to the enemy. And I do mean invisible. This isn't one of FE's failed attempts at skills like these, you know the ones, they only work like 20% of the time. Quite the contrary, Hide will guarantee Axel's safety, until an enemy moves next to him and discovers him that is. On the other hand, an enemy unlucky enough to bump into him will automatically fight him, with Axel having the first hit. This skill is one that you love until the enemy starts using it. Then you kinda start despising the shit outta it.

Axel is an excellent utility unit. He can deal a tremendous hit if you need one, he can look for items, he can cross water to lower bridges or intercept fleeing enemies, he can conceal himself and wait for the perfect moment to ambush his opponents... and even just in plain combat, he's not half bad. One of my favourite units in this game, and also one of my favourite characters. I seriously hope I don't lose him. I already went through that pain once. I don't wanna suffer it again.

6lhect9c oF8kw4da8 o

Some more gearing up. Elbert is the only one who can use the harpoon, so he takes it along with Ritchens's sword.

6snlgnje o

With the very limited stock the shops have right now, I don't think I'll need to do any more shopping. Some horses wouldn't hurt, but I'm not sure if I'll need them. The next map is rather small. Perhaps I'll change my mind. If I do, I'll let you know next update.

Arhhqy8r o

Let's see.

Gljehhdb o5jpakdtu o

Simple enough.

Arqd204k oSkv8ox69 o

Tianna is wise. You cannot save in the battle preps. It's a bit annoying, since you have to rearrange your formation every time you reload (unless you do it from the office by memory - you'll see what I mean next update), but I appreciate that they don't let you lock yourself out of getting more mercs, horses and gear by accident.

0pv0cnlt o

Ready? I'm raring to go!

...go away, because the update is over! Next time, we will see if we can't deliver those poor townsfolk from their brigand oppressors. Until the time comes, I bid you farewell, folks and folkettes!

Death count: --

Capture count: 0

Reset count: 0

"Iaido" has four vowels in it.

And Volo reminds me of a certain Tales main character, except he went the edgy route. . .the Dark Enforcer route, perhaps?

Sure goes to show how bad the war is going that simple bags are so hard to come by. Sure, you could probably just throw some items into a corner of the room, but what kind of savage would do that? Or use boxes, for that matter. Boxes are for PEASANTS!
But yeah, it's most certainly a pain in the ass. Easily the game's biggest shortcoming. Makes managing items a far bigger hassle then it needs to be.
On the bright side, there is a convenient Item List that can be used to move all items around. Even those carried by mercenaries, including those who aren't currently available I believe. So that streamlines things a fair bit. No need to run all over the place just to access the inventory of mercenaries who are not currently on your payroll.

Btw, just to be sure, do you know that you can combine sets of arrows?

Edited by BrightBow

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

my strategy worked!

I too am deeply shocked

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That includes a restaurant, a tavern and an abbey. Somehow, they truly are places of import.

Yeah, not like high quality food, booze or areas of religious practice could ever benefit the morale of Reese's soldiers or anything, or make his stay more comfortable, that'd be craaaaazy. 

1 hour ago, Pengaius said:

Yeah, not like high quality food, booze or areas of religious practice could ever benefit the morale of Reese's soldiers or anything, or make his stay more comfortable, that'd be craaaaazy. 

I'm not so sure about that high quality food. I once saw them offering a boiled egg as their "Daily Special".
You can tell the war isn't going too well.

Edited by BrightBow

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

1: Okay, fair enough.

2: That's subjective. You don't think it's terrible, I think it is. We'll have just to respectfully agree to disagree, here. But I'm the one who's right! Always! Me! No one else!

3: Hey, I never said it was an important issue. Graphics don't matter to me all that much. But the game does run poorly, that's just what happens. They overuse particles so much that the game slows down in every fight.

4: Well, every AAA game I've seen on the switch (read, Ninty's releases and a few others) is better-looking than Three Houses by a longshot, but I suppose there might be some mediocre port of an old game out there that counts as AAA?

I don't know, I just think the game would've benefitted from some anti-aliasing. And more months in the oven. Definitely more months in the oven.

2. What can I say, I got used to it?

3. pArtIclEs

4. Man if only that made me want to actually buy DQXI, eh? That aside, I'm pretty new to the Switch and I'm going to be diving to some other games after finishing AM Part 1, need to give some distance.

I would comment on FE only getting used to AAA and this being their first Switch title and the fact Koei-Tecmo are involved as well, but I know that without knowing more about the internal process those are limited as explanations and end up excuses at best.

I want 2D back. Sorry for being such an elitist, but c'mon, look at Berwick! Imagine if Three Houses looked even half as amazing as Berwick.

Berwick does have a lot going for it, but I don't think it's that fidelicious. But then for you it's all the devil's details. It's like a ton of paintings, Berwick.

Not gonna lie, I could start complaining about things. I'm not bothered though.

I doubt it. This game is old and so niche, and competing with Waifu Emblem isn't easy when you, well, don't have waifus.

It is 15 years old, retro revival is absolutely a thing and Kaga's not that hard a name to flash around.

Waifu counterpoint: Paramythis. Also Sanacia but I'd hope the fuck not. And you really think I play FE for waifus?

Oh yeah, that's another thing that really pissed me off about the game. They blatantly played favorites. If you only want me to use students, why let me use anyone else? Just to punish me when I get to Reunion At Dawn and it's literally a softlock? Because that's how my maddening run ended. With a dead Hilda, a RNG-screwed Claude and Lorenz, and mages Ignatz and Byleth. I quite literally couldn't advance an inch. That's when I decided that I would never again buy a FE game at release.

Bah, the students are like kids learning to ride a bicycle. Hanneman doesn't need training wheels. He's a badass, empty levels be damned.

I mean, I'd just take not buying on release and apply it to any game.

But back to the main points.

Eh...? Basque? Since when am I Basque? That's 3 hours away from where I am!

Seems I was incorrect.

Apologies.

No, not at all. Volcens is a great man, and we'll soon get to see his greatness in action. Believe it!

I mean Voldemort did great things.

Terrible yes. But great.

Nah. It's worse. FE7's soundtrack in general is not my cup of tea at all. I hate every time I hear it in fangames. ESPECIALLY this one. I really don't like this one.

Again, I know this is a difference of opinion. Not that GBA's highly ranking for me anymore full stop music wise and in many ways more generally. With people's condemnation of the two released internationally, I still feel that BB's not that much better if that (though I may rank it lower still) and at this rate we may as well call the GBA era the worst era and let it fade into obscurity.

Hey-- don't look at me like that! I was on that train before it was cool to be in it! You know that! That totally justifies my position!

To be fair, though, it's not just that song. All three of the earlygame GBA songs are pretty horrid, in my humble opinion. C'mon, they're war games, and then you start and it sounds like you're playing Cooking Mama. I'm not asking for Chasing Dawnbreak on the first chapter, but at least have something more martial, like Berwick Saga. Or DSFE. Those had rather uplifting songs, too, but they were more serious-sounding than the GBA tunes.

FE6's earlygame theme is slightly better than FE7's and FE8's, but it compensates by reappearing in chapter 15 and replacing that glorious Western Isles theme. I still can't believe they did that.

Maybe there's a point that they want to ease the player in. Clearly that's not the approach anymore. Its not like Roy's Journey's any less like that, I'd argue worse.

ALSO HOW DARE YOU CALL ROY'S JOURNEY ANY LESS THAN THE SECOND WORST TRACK IN THE SERIES THAT IS UTTER OVERPLAYED TRIPE YOU HACK.

Well, nobody's perfect, right? I do enjoy how it works, but I see where you're coming from.

Somehow the one thing I've never liked with all of Kaga's titles is weapon skill.

Yeah, I don't understand why magic isn't affected. Healing magic I can see, but combat magic is the same as weapons!

Then again, look at Fates.

Those aside, durability is something that is understandably a confusing thing to discuss if you think on it for too long.

Not really. He's there when Reese is there, and that's it.

I'm clearly remembering wrongly his being in paralogues then.

I know those names. I also know Deadpool's kind of a shitposty character? Maybe?

Point is Deadpool is far more likely to quip and Deathstroke is a far more serious man. Not all that edgy now that I think on it.....

Kliff was worse than Luthier when I played SoV. Luthier was great, he stood toe-to-toe with his sister, contrary to what I'd heard. Also, he had that "EASY PICKINGS" line that made me smile everytime I heard it.

All this from a name pun.

Kliff was better for me, Luthier didn't quite have them stats by lategame (his sister not helping by being bonkers.)

Hahahahahahah... well, I'll admit, the soundtrack is one of the few things I truly enjoy about Three Houses. I feel God-Shattering Star is a bit overrated, but I love Paths That Will Never Cross and Chasing Dawnbreak as much as the next man.

God-Shattering Star and Twilight of the Gods should have had a remix already.

(And yea, God-Shattering Star is great. But some arguments are unneeded.)

I know nothing about Awakening, as always. Frankly, given how much of a catastrophic disappointment Three Houses was, I think it'll stay that way forever.

I think I may have figured out why there's a lot of people who complain about all but their perfect titles and why I've never had the same frustration. No, this is not directed at you specifically, you're far from the only one who can show that kind of reaction.

Not the main lords, don't put words in my mouth. I really liked Dimitri, even if I did feel that he got off too easy and too quickly. And Edelgard makes a great villain with some nice gray connotations. I've a problem with Claude, and Claude alone.

You see, I don't care that he's fun. If he were a secondary character, yeah, that'd be okay. The problem is that Claude is put up on a pedestal, he's given his own route and called a "protagonist", when he's a completely useless character. I mean, what does he do, really? In AM, he appears twice, makes a fool of himself in both cases (not sure if you've played this route, if you have I'll elaborate) and then vanishes after some blatant "go play my route!" bait. In SS, he appears once and then vanishes without even the blatant "go play my route!" bait. He's just... gone, boom, vanished with the wind as if a Navarre he were. In CF, he's no more than a glorified throwaway boss that you can spare for no better reason than "he's on the cover!"

Even in his own route! What does he do in his route, aside from existing and reacting to things? Not much, because his route is a copypaste of SS, the route where he barely appears at all! Why is it, then, that he doesn't show up in most of the animated cutscenes? They weren't made with him in mind!

He's the complete opposite of the Marth lord everyone loves to hate so much, and that is not a compliment. He has all the personality, but he's useless. He does nothing, he never schemes, he never backstabs anyone or does anything remotely interesting, his route isn't even about him as much as about the game's lore in general, his themes go nowhere and have nothing to do with the game's main themes, and aside from being charming and handsome, he's just... full of hot air and empty promises.

I'll be brutally honest: I think the game would've been better off without him. Axe him from existance (or better yet, make him what he should've been: a secondary character), throw his students into the other two houses, and then use all that time that you don't have to spend on copypasting SS to polish and improve the other three routes. The result? A more solid product with a greater focus on the actually important characters. You don't even lose the lore route, because SS is just that, too.

...I also dislike Byleth, because they suffer from all the avatar problems, no matter how many times Three Houses fans may parrot that "better than Fates!" line. But I think Byleth's problems are obvious enough.

I'm going to have to pass over, as I've only finished VW. I have a feeling there'll be a lot of discussion on this, but it'll be slowed down by silly stuff like reading 500 pages of a book in one day.

Byleth..... I just wish they'd actually bother to explore a legit avatar deisgned as such rather than the current "Yes but actually no" that gets pulled (Still better than Corrin, though that's not a discussion for today). But then again, I'm beginning to wonder about dev limitations and their results and why it always seems to be more likely from a Japanese dev team/product. Not "The product is utter shit", but "There's all these small things they've ignored". It's a reason for my frustrations with Pokemon growing to fever pitch to the point I'm done with them now.

9qk5ifz8 oSuddenly, characters with eyes! Sienna's a pretty amazing woman. As for her cohort, I expect no less than van milion puns with his name.

He wishes he had van million behind him to end this stupid war.

9qk5ifz8 oDo you give the same speech to everybody, Sienna, or are Reese's eyes just that amazing?

In a world full of blank-eyed men, of course he has special eyes.

If you haven't caught on yet, Navaron will be our base of operations during the entire game. Think Garreg Mach Monastery, only there's all sorts of facilities to use here, instead of just flavor conversations, a thousand different ways to increase supports and an awful fishing minigame.

Yeah the fishing minigame is bad. Zanado Messenger is fucking wild to try and get but everything else is kind of easy when you try.

Lgjkwhcy oThe fundamental problem with this is that, even if you have to carry a couple materials around, that's still 6 more inventory spaces if you give the bag to a unit. If you leave it here, you'll get fuck all. For me, all this room does is give me two free bags at the start of the game. Bags are just far too good to leave them here collecting dust.

See, that's why I misremembered.

Uedfz3v4 o Gah! Ergh... that is... it's not...! How did you hear me...?! You can't possibly... You're not...!

Meoilxpy oPlease forgive my tactician. We picked him up on the way from Sinon. I don't think he's... all there.

2wzfebz7 oOh...

Uedfz3v4 o...what is... what is happening here... this shouldn't be possible...!

OH GOD YOU'RE OFFICIALLY STUCK WITH THEM

Lgjkwhcy oNo kidding. Horses are extremely expensive. The cheapest kind of horse is the thin one. It dies in three good hits and costs a full grand. Good thing we have a bunch of horses with enough HP to last us a few chapters, eh?

I feel rather mixed on horses.

Again, really something that should be considered and of course Kaga would, but the HP is something that's so easy to miss I literally never saw their HP bar until your first update and of course that's also potentially impacted by RNG and is thus leaving strategies potentially at that mercy.

Atyrch6q o

Good prices. This is what we should spend our war funds on. A fucking tapestry that costs 45 grand. Reese can hang it on his wall so that each night, when he goes to sleep, he'll remember what a complete imbecile he was that day.

John wasn't lying, though. These do have "mystical powers". Stuff like giving Reese (and Reese alone) 3 avoid, or increasing his HP growth by 10%. Yeah... a couple of these are cool (the coffers and the chest can be opened for items every chapter, the tapestry increases Reese's Commander range), but there's only one that I'd say is worth its price: the art: "Revival". It grants Reese Armsthrift. Reese will get some damn kickass weapons later on, and considering it's one of the cheapest things here, it can be worth considering. Everything else, though? Trash, trash and more trash. Let Johnny keep most of his junk, if he loves furniture so much.

This affects ranking.

Kaga is the real meme guys.

Well... this is another mechanic that I quite love. You know how, in FE, most mercenaries will join you under some flimsy pretense, like "I count on getting paid after the war" or something like that? No such luck here. Over half of the playable roster are mercenaries. If you want their help, you'll have to pay up, and they'll only join you for the current chapter. Each unit has a different price (more powerful mercs are more expensive), and the fee goes up as they level up. Also, the fees are halved if you're recruiting the merc for a secondary mission. Dean would've asked me to fork almost 1000 if this was before the main mission.

Remember how, in the last map, I told you to keep in mind the symbols next to the units' names? Permanently recruited units have circles. The entire Sinon platoon is permanently recruited from the start. Diamonds like the ones Dean and Izerna had, however, are only for guest units - they're playable for the time being, but they'll leave at some point or another.

Mercenaries can be permanently recruited, but each one has a different requirement. For instance, Dean has to kill 60 people and Izerna needs to survive. Most often, it has to do with their personal stories and with the hidden happiness stat. It is raised in three main ways: hiring, deploying and eating. In other words, to recruit a unit, you have to use them, show them some love, and see them through their character arcs. It's great, I like it.

It's like, yes this is something I suppose.

It's almost too complicated (not helped by some being tied to promotion and my opinions there are clear), but then it's a sensible approach. But then again, sometimes simple is better and that's why any contracts are to be satisfied after the war. :P

2lnyuu7f o

Txzubig9 o ......

How many times did you try to make this one shot?

C39nxbqz o

...w-we totally won't have to come back here. Not a chance.

Excuse me.....

I think we all know this is coming.

Itqacgym oNm3dhrgr o

Look at this nonsense. Bluck's cheap-ass bow, compared to the one Sherlock brought from home. Sure, it's bad, but at least it has more than 1 might! No wonder he couldn't do anything in chapter 1!

I think that might be the worst bow I've ever seen.

Holy shit and we all bitch about Rebecca and Wil. Thank fuck they never got something that bad.

0zkzropp oIsa754nw o

Leon and Elbert take the two free bags.

Both are going to die calling it now.

Lgjkwhcy o...of course, one thing that isn't quite so lovable is that this is the reason why Reese and Ward have "shaky availability": For most of the game, they can only be deployed in main missions. That means one mission out of each chapter's three.

9qk5ifz8 oStill, It's not so bad, because most sidequests are far less complex than the main missions, so Reese and Ward's assistance isn't so direly needed. Also, a lot of the sidequests revolve around secondary characters in the army, so that'll allow them their own time under the spotlight.

This is true.

It's also true that this leaves Reese exposed experience wise.

Ward could fuck off and be grand from how you're talking.

Search can be used on certain tiles (usually there'll be a little sparkle on the tile that pops up every now and then) to discover items. Sometimes, however, this will lead to a deathmatch with some bandit or thief. Deathmatch as in, the skill - that is, five consecutive battles that work like classic FE battles. Losing these ones isn't deadly (it'll leave the searcher at 1 HP), but you'll often lose the reward if you cannot win. That's where Axel really shines; there are two other searchers, but they're both thieves - and as all thieves, they're fragile and weak. Axel, though? Give him the right axe, and he'll plow right through anybody.

- Hide works in terrain like forests and houses. You wait in one of those, and Axel will become invisible to the enemy. And I do mean invisible. This isn't one of FE's failed attempts at skills like these, you know the ones, they only work like 20% of the time. Quite the contrary, Hide will guarantee Axel's safety, until an enemy moves next to him and discovers him that is. On the other hand, an enemy unlucky enough to bump into him will automatically fight him, with Axel having the first hit. This skill is one that you love until the enemy starts using it. Then you kinda start despising the shit outta it.

Axel is an excellent utility unit. He can deal a tremendous hit if you need one, he can look for items, he can cross water to lower bridges or intercept fleeing enemies, he can conceal himself and wait for the perfect moment to ambush his opponents... and even just in plain combat, he's not half bad. One of my favourite units in this game, and also one of my favourite characters. I seriously hope I don't lose him. I already went through that pain once. I don't wanna suffer it again.

Hide only works so long as you're not found. How appropriate. (Least it works unlike Shade, why?)

Also, search is like diversifying hidden items when you think about it. I kind of want it but different now.

Also, that despising will be coming a lot sooner than you think.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

It has 50 hit, while that other bow has 40. Arrows don't add hit.

I rest my case.

They do actually.
Also that level of accuracy is fairly standard for Berwick.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

They do actually.

Okay looking again, some of them do.

https://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Berwick_Saga_Arrows

Plenty don't and with this game's ways for getting items, I'm still standing by what I said. Except for Sniper rounds.

41 minutes ago, Dayni said:

durability is something that is understandably a confusing thing to discuss if you think on it for too long.

Yeah, in the GBA games, missing with a tome costs durability, but missing with a bow doesn't? Why? WIth swords and stuff it makes sense since you aren't touching anything at all, but bows? You're firing an arrow even if you miss, so that SHOULD damage the bow? (Or maybe Neimi's so bad that she can only fire an arrow 6.8/10 time and drops it for the rest.)

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, in the GBA games, missing with a tome costs durability, but missing with a bow doesn't? Why? WIth swords and stuff it makes sense since you aren't touching anything at all, but bows? You're firing an arrow even if you miss, so that SHOULD damage the bow? (Or maybe Neimi's so bad that she can only fire an arrow 6.8/10 time and drops it for the rest.)

I agree there too.

I was more referring to it in terms of how it affects gameplay, but yes.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But... healing magic and combat magic are the same thing, aren't they? They are both orbs. In fact, there is even attacking light magic. Or dark magic that heals, for that matter.

And it makes sense that they would be more reliable. They are basically batteries. You use them until they run out of juice. The material itself is not strained in any way.
Meanwhile with physical weapon, it's more like how sometimes a smartphone works just fine after being dropped a few times while other times it becomes useless junk after just a single drop. The quality of the object in question affects your odds, but you still can't determine the exact amount of abuse it can take before it stops functioning.

Edited by BrightBow

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey! Eugen may've been all talk, but what a talk it was. Besides, he punched Holmes on the back of the head! How can you not love him after that?

...Still, Ward's pretty amazing in his own right.

Speaking of, I found this sequence from 1973's Monsters Unleashed #2 (I know I'm skipping the pun). Somehow it seemed familiar, even if it didn't involve a "Eugen". dFUeyjT.png

2bhwrekr o

This is art.

Meh, I'm still hopeful that this won't be the end of the world as we know it. We made it past the Spanish Flu, after all.

...damn fine financial crisis on the horizon, though. That's going to be annoying.

Yeah, that's the part I'm worried about. Though, as it goes things here aren't too bad. Mostly because I've got a big old stack of things to do at home and it's not like I've had a social life in years. Also the fact I'd probably die if I got it because I already have lung trouble.

This science thing is pretty amazing, ain't it?

Well, there had to be something to draw me to that as a career path. Which is why I have a basic Latin grasp. Kind of goes together.

Ward's going to be the subject of most of this game's puns, isn't he. Alongside Lee, who isn't even in this one.

I personally like the Reese puns, but I'll see as we go.

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lot must be proud of a lot of things.

*Lot of things.

Or that. Or maybe Eugen came out of nowhere, punched him in the back of the skull again, and stole it.

Ohmigosh Ward is Eugen confirmed.

...God I miss Eugen...

When you realize that sequence from Monsters Unleashed #2 really fits with that.

I was the one who started it!? But I was sure... no... w-what have I done...?! This is seriouslee shitty! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah, I was surprised myself. I was sure Unknown Gamer was first, but turned out he was third. Who knew? You were Leeding the way the whole time, and I got my Leegion of puns.

3cxl4xfi oWe are knights of Sinon, here to fulfill our duty to His Majesty. Please inform Duke Roswick that we have arrived.

Someone make Castlevania II, Sinon's Quest.

Lgjkwhcy o Yeah... one point Berwick Saga tries to make quite clear from the beginning is that Reese is a complete nobody. He may be nobility, but really, in terms of clout, he only beats Ike when compared to his peers in the FE series. All Reese has to his name is a dad that's kind of a national hero. Other than that, he's just a kid with no experience leading or diplomatizing, he has no personal titles, his army is incredibly small (his cutscene army, I mean; it barely has a hundred soldiers, while just about everyone else has thousands of troops), and he comes from the tiniest country to the far west.

Didn't Alm literally have to deal with people thinking he was nothing but a village boy, and didn't he only get the job as the head of the deliverance as a second pick when Mycen told them to piss off? I know he wasn't really just a commoner, but far as anyone on the Zofian side of the border was concerned he was a poor farm-boy.

9qk5ifz8 oReese falls to his knees, and his troops follow suit. Elbert's a bit slower on the draw. Given his personality, I am not surprised. (He kneels with everyone else, I just took the screenshot too early)

I wouldn't have been surprised if he called her a "poopnose" too.

Are you surprised when so many people just don't have eyes in this game?

Lgjkwhcy oWell, I reckon he probably died, considering he called him late Lord Carron... Ward, c'mon, get your ears out of your beard and listen!

Plus his name is like, one letter off carrion... so...

Ps4nmuuw oIt would likely take several days to give you a proper tour, so I will keep my introductions to places of import.

9qk5ifz8 oThat includes a restaurant, a tavern and an abbey. Somehow, they truly are places of import.

Well, I'm assuming it's "import" as in importance, as opposed to a dock which is where you import/export things. Also I'd like to make a joke about how all three would be closed due to viruses if this was my Country right now.

Looks like Bagman was a 1000 years ahead of the curve.

4f7glult oAxes! Axes! Axeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

I like happy Axe-man. He's passionate about his work.

Lgjkwhcy oWhy do you have an overgrown version of Hitler's mustache? And why do you have a second, frowning mouth on your chin? And what kind of a name is Bluck?

Bluck's short for bad luck, and he's actually trying for a J. Jonah Jameson mustache but everyone keeps making that mistake. Hence his name.

2lnyuu7f o

Txzubig9 o ......

I see even in this day and land, Football Man's descendants live on. I told you he was a ladies man.

Rbumtcrb oI'm a darn good swimmer, too. Ain't a soul in this city with better sea legs than me! My current askin' price is 350D. How's that?

I like happy Axel man. He's passionate about his work.

Meoilxpy oNo, that would only cause more work for him.

He's already got enough things to do. About Van Million of them.