So Fodlan is absolutely tiny, right?

Jotari

Something fun I've done in the past is try to determine the actual size of Fire Emblem continents using limited information provided. So far I've calculated Archanea is comparable to Ukraine, Valencia to France and Magvel to India. I have means to determine Tellius's size but haven't whipped it up yet. None of it is solid or accurate but it's fun to try and speculate. Mostly it's done by trying to use time as a metric for a journey and extrapolate from there. When it comes to Fodlan however that runs into a bit of a problem. The way the game is structured we know the characters are busy during the week doing lessons. And then on weekends we get auxiliary battles and paralogues. Up to three. In which Byleth and company trapse around the entire continent and back in a single weekend. Even if we limit it to just one paralogue per weekend that still raises some serious questions. They go to an entirely different country in Petra's paralogue. Edelgard stops a foreign invasion in a matter of hours in hers. So...do you have any idea how to rationlize this without just saying Folta is the size of Fiji? We could just ignore it and say gameplay story segregation, but the whole teacher element is a part of the story. And presumably these paralogues do actually happen. The best I can come up with is that they actually take place during the week and aren't that common. The trip to Enbarr for the coronation automatically ends the week for Byleth. Bit even then if that trip is just a three day journey each way it's still rather unbelievable (unless that event actually causes  a skip over some weekends, I vaguely feel like it might). Maybe Fodlan just has far more sophisticated air travel than the other continents.

I just wanted to add that Cyril states that Fódlan is smaller than Almyra.

Not sure if it helps.

Edit: Oh, sorry. I guess I should tell when does he say it, right? Well, it's while exploring before the Battle of the Eagle and Lion (yes, the one with the fishing tournament). Or at least is close by to it.

Edited by BergelomeuSantos

4 minutes ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

I just wanted to add that Cyril states that Fódlan is smaller than Almyra.

Not sure if it helps.

Edit: Oh, sorry. I guess I should tell when does he say it, right? Well, it's while exploring before the Battle of the Eagle and Lion (yes, the one with the fishing tournament). Or at least is close by to it.

Not really helpful considering we don't have a full map of Almyra (and I'd also question the reliability of Cyril's knowledge on that front considering he was taken from there as a kid).

I mean, they could just be using the warp staff.

A lot of them.

In all seriousness having more than one fight per spare day is bad enough in this. It's possible in the case of these fights that they're doing them over the course of the week and studying on the way but that's just kind of ridiculous in its own right. But it's also likely they're doing stuff like sparring, the seminars, group tasks and so on during the week as is suggested. But the fights are just such a huge stretch as for me to immediately assume mass warp usage.

After looking it up, here's the source for Fódlan being two-thirds the size of Europe.

We never see anything happen during the weeks when Byleth's teaching, so I just assume that paralogues and other fights occur during that time. Awakening lets you go across two continents and an ocean to do Nah's paralogue when you're about to fight Walhart, without taking several years, so I'm inclined to not think about distances traveled too much.

They seem to have fairly advanced knowledge about geography and astronomy somehow

like they have a globe in the library, indicating knowledge of a planet. Edelgard also mentioned in her question that they know that it takes thousands of years for light travel to their planet.

So I assume they do have a completely map for their world.