New interview reveals some neat info

Thane

Hello chaps.

7pfqrhyi5yn41.jpg

Apparently there's a new interview floating around. This person on Tumblr has split up a translation in two parts.

I can't find a definitive source for the article, however, at least not on Famitsu, so if someone knows where it's from, let me know.

There are some really interesting stuff there, though I think this is the coolest by far (and thus also the most depressing that it didn't come to pass):

When did Edelgard undergo the crest experiments? Why does she get the same crest as the main character?

-There wasn’t any other text in the game to suggest the timing besides after separating with Dmitri, but since TWSITD called Edelgard their “greatest masterpiece”, this suggests that they would have had the tools and abilities which suggests that the experiment happened after the experiments done on Lysithea.

-Regarding Edelgard bearing the same crest as the MC, this is because initially Edelgard was going to become the MC’s rival on an equal plane. Scenarios such as when the MC was stopping time, Edelgard suddenly appeared in that space to interfere with the MC…would have been interesting but we never got to delve any deeper into that.

Edit: a lot of the interview has been translated here: https://serenesforest.net/2020/03/24/three-houses-nintendo-dream-interview-reveals-first-route-claudes-real-name/

Edited by Thane

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Thunderstar said:

From I have seen in other websites, the source is Nintendo Dream.

I tried finding it there but couldn't. Do you have the direct link?

13 minutes ago, Enryx25 said:

Another interesting info is that Silver Snow was actually the first route done, implying Verdant Wind is actually a copy of it and not the opposite like many think.

Yeah, that's very interesting as well. I've seen people wondering which of the routes came first, but I did find the arguments for Silver Snow being the first route more compelling, if only for the last cutscene in Enbarr.

It seems as though Edelgard's role and route were originally rather different. It was meant to be harder to get into Crimson Flower, which might explain why it's shorter.

The thing about musical motifs for each country was interesting too, but I can't think of any tracks exclusive to one country's maps. Am I just wrong or do they mean the King of Lions, Golden Deer and Crescent Moon sort of tracks?

I find it funny how the answer to "when was Edelgard experimented on" isn't really more specific than what we already knew, though at least it does establish that Lysithea's experiments were done before Edelgard's started. Her being conceived as a "rival"/"evil counterpart" to Byleth is interesting. It also seems Seiros passed off Nemesis and the Elites as heroes in order to get their supporters on her side, and that she wasn't motivated by the desire to conquer humans. 

There was a line in Cindered Shadows that made me wonder if Claude was using an alias ("Claude’s a common name in Fódlan. It’s just too dashing for new moms to pass up. It’s even a popular choice for fake names. Just a good, solid, all-purpose moniker, you know?"), but I dismissed it because it wasn't expanded on anywhere else. What would Fire Emblem be without information exclusive to Japanese supplementary material?

That moment when Edelgard vs Byleth could have been DIO vs Jotaro 2.0 Lite.

Dang.

Also, not surprised at the Claude thing. Currently playing the Golden Deer route and there's so much talk of him keeping secrets and his 'identity' and with his general personality, this is totally expected.

It’s because they were heroes to many of the people back then, so they (the winners) could not really ignore the significance of that fact when trying to create history. […] Nevertheless, Seiros and co. did not rewrite history to conquer humans but to minimise the impacts from the war and make it easier to retain peace. For instance, as you know from the books in the underground library, they tried to inhibit the rapid growth of civilisation because it was growing too fast. There are other reasons for that, however, but that’ll be a secret for now.

DLC incoming?

YES PLEASE!

And can we stop with ''Rhea bad'' comments now.

IS really wanted to mess with players if the "main character" from the promotions betrayed the avatar at first hand. And Crimson Flower was more of a secret route? At this point I have no clue who Edelgard is even supposed to be. Since the writes want to take her into 4 different conflicting directions. About Nemesis, why history view him has some sort of hero? Was there little else that a bandit king and the elites were the only good options?   

Three Houses could have used more time in the oven to see all these idea fully develop.

Huh, I wonder what routes the developers expected to be the most popular. They made Silver Snow first but that path seems to be generally the least popular. Of course I'm not speaking for everyone but that seems to be my impression.

23 minutes ago, Strullemia said:

Huh, I wonder what routes the developers expected to be the most popular. They made Silver Snow first but that path seems to be generally the least popular. Of course I'm not speaking for everyone but that seems to be my impression.

Silver Snow was the first concept (and got the most videos commissioned as a result), but it feels like it was the last one that was properly filled in (its maps are clearly copied from AM and/or VW based on the presence of various "Imperial Generals" who are stand-ins for the Black Eagles; its plot skips details that make it more convincing and of course Gronder 2 is off-screened), and got the least amount of love. I dunno if the developers sat around expecting some routes to be more or less popular, but based on what we got at release, the route that doesn't feature one of the main lords prominently (heck, even as a villain, Edelgard is notably more prominent in AM than SS) was basically certain to be the least popular.

25 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

About Nemesis, why history view him has some sort of hero? Was there little else that a bandit king and the elites were the only good options?   

I really wish we got more about Nemesis. I think he could have been a very interesting grey character. That said, a king who looks after his own people will often be very popular, even if his enemies view him as a bandit or plunderer; plenty of examples of this in history.

Not surprised that Silver Snow was the first route conceived (Byleth vs Edelgard was there from the beginning), but I still maintain the possibility that while Silver Snow had plans from the start and acted as a foundation, they were not acted on until late into the development process. Thus, while Verdant Wind came later, it was developed/implemented first. (Of course, it could also be the other way around and Verdant Wind used Silver Snow as a basis, but VW is superior in almost every way.)

If Silver Snow was indeed the first route made and implemented, I'm rather disappointed. I expected more tension between the Black Eagles and Edelgard/Hubert, as well as Byleth vs Edelgard. Seteth and Flayn, despite their amazing characterization, do not carry the same power as the other Lord + Retainer duos in my opinion.

Maybe its the case of "they got more experienced so as they worked on the game more, the later stuff became better."  But no matter the case, I hope Three Houses gets a "definitive edition" in a few years where they can expand on all of these ideas. I also somewhat hope for a Fates Remake that keeps basic premise but with a rewritten story, but that is another topic.

As for Lysithea and Edelgard experiments, I always thought Lysithea was a prototype, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

Edited by Sire

16 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I really wish we got more about Nemesis. I think he could have been a very interesting grey character. That said, a king who looks after his own people will often be very popular, even if his enemies view him as a bandit or plunderer; plenty of examples of this in history.

Considering the "we don't want to spoil anything" line I think we are gonna get more Seiros backstory as well as Nemesis alongside it.

1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

Considering the "we don't want to spoil anything" line I think we are gonna get more Seiros backstory as well as Nemesis alongside it.

I found that part of interview very interesting since last interview they said they were done with the game

Maybe they are already planning a follow up title?

1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

I'm thinking we might get a flashback DLC or something where we get to play as Seiros. I know it's unlikely but I really wish for an actual Rhea route unlike what we got. She's a major player, make her a lord dangit! Then again having TWO enlightened ones in a single playthrough sounds absolutely busted.

On a side note I do hope the devs learn to scale back on future games. It does not look good on a professional game company to have two routes of their branching story game to be near identical.

In hindsight it's actually kind of a miracle on how well Azure Moon turned out. It's the closest to a traditional FE story so I get how they probably didn't have to touch it up as they were switching things around.

Notably, the interview is fourteen pages long according to the original Tumblr post. Going to be interesting to see the full interview be translated.

15 minutes ago, Cyan1456 said:

I'm thinking we might get a flashback DLC or something where we get to play as Seiros. I know it's unlikely but I really wish for an actual Rhea route unlike what we got. She's a major player, make her a lord dangit! Then again having TWO enlightened ones in a single playthrough sounds absolutely busted.

Rhea has her own special classes as a fully functional character, two of them actually: The Archbishop and The Saint (Seiros)

I believe one is magic oriented while another is might based. There are a lot of datamined video of people using them on Youtube.

Edited by Timlugia

3 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Rhea has her own special classes as a fully functional character, two of them actually: The Archbishop and The Saint (Seiros)

I believe one is magic oriented while another is might based. There are a lot of datamined video of people using them on Youtube.

Yeah the saint class can't even use magic.

Spoiler

Okay, so Edelgard was once conceived as able to mess with Divine Pulse. Fascinating, I was wondering if Thales was able to beyond that cutscene but we never see it (The fact it didn't happen in VW21 was a disappointment.)

Also, Claude's surname is just begging for DJ Khaled memes.

That aside, most of what's been said in this makes sense from even what I know up to now (Only VW finished).

2 minutes ago, Moltz23 said:

You sure? I recall Rhea in my first CF playthrough throwing me an Agnea's Arrow in Chapter 17.

Oh yeah it does. I remember one of Rhea's classes not being able to use magic for some reason...

Of course Verdant Wind was the copy, Claude barely feels like the main lord of his own route. Like, what connection does Claude even have with Nemesis? And when you think about it, the actual choice you're making in this story is essentially choosing to side with Edelgard or side with Rhea. 

1 hour ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Of course Verdant Wind was the copy, Claude barely feels like the main lord of his own route. Like, what connection does Claude even have with Nemesis? And when you think about it, the actual choice you're making in this story is essentially choosing to side with Edelgard or side with Rhea. 

A lot of people pointed this out, but I've seen it said that the Immaculate One would be a more meaningful final boss for VW. This is due to the fact that Rhea, like she is to the other two lords, is a good foil to Claude: both of them are essentially outcasts in a society they're meant to overlook, Lonely at the Top for the similar reasons. As soon as he finds out the truth behind the Church he noticeably eases up on Rhea, it'd be much more interesting if his final fight was with someone he knew shared his pain of isolation and understood the difficulties of coexistence between races like he does.

On another note, apparently there's quite a few more pages of the interview after this (I heard that there's like 20 if I'm not mistaken), do we have any details on those rn?