New interview reveals some neat info

Thane

This is some pretty interesting stuff. Its a bit sad to see that a fair amount of what was mentioned in the interview didn't get expanded upon in the main game, like Claude's real name, the region in Faerghus that apparently imported a lot of material from Adrestria, etc. Since the devs didn't want to "spoil" stuff when answering questions, I'm guessing their planning on releasing a prequel / midquel or definitive edition version of the game to develop these ideas (sequel wouldn't work imo due to multiple routes).

Edelgard being a rival for the player character is interesting, but I think I like her more in the final game, where she's a foil to Dimitri, Claude, and Rhea. Byleth is a viewpoint character, so I don't think its necessary for him to have any rivals unless they are just irredeemably evil like TWSITD. 

11 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

Silver Snow was the first concept (and got the most videos commissioned as a result), but it feels like it was the last one that was properly filled in (its maps are clearly copied from AM and/or VW based on the presence of various "Imperial Generals" who are stand-ins for the Black Eagles; its plot skips details that make it more convincing and of course Gronder 2 is off-screened), and got the least amount of love. I dunno if the developers sat around expecting some routes to be more or less popular, but based on what we got at release, the route that doesn't feature one of the main lords prominently (heck, even as a villain, Edelgard is notably more prominent in AM than SS) was basically certain to be the least popular.

I really wish we got more about Nemesis. I think he could have been a very interesting grey character. That said, a king who looks after his own people will often be very popular, even if his enemies view him as a bandit or plunderer; plenty of examples of this in history.

I'm guessing the original intent was for the Knights of Seiros to replace the BE students to make the original route more emotional. It would make sense since there are 8 knights of seiros characters and Seteth is the main narrator of the route.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, UNLEASH IT said:

Of course Verdant Wind was the copy, Claude barely feels like the main lord of his own route. Like, what connection does Claude even have with Nemesis? And when you think about it, the actual choice you're making in this story is essentially choosing to side with Edelgard or side with Rhea. 

You know finding out the truth? The past? All that jazz? Not all final bosses need to have a direct connection with the lord, I mean look at FE 7 for one example, I see Nemesis more as the finale boss as in a last challenge and cause for Rhea revealing her secrets not and that Thales was more the finale boss who had a true connection to Claude and the others.

2 hours ago, Deathcon said:

You know finding out the truth? The past? All that jazz? Not all final bosses need to have a direct connection with the lord, I mean look at FE 7 for one example, I see Nemesis more as the finale boss as in a last challenge and cause for Rhea revealing her secrets not and that Thales was more the finale boss who had a true connection to Claude and the others.

You do plenty of that in Silver Snow.

On 3/21/2020 at 8:02 AM, Sire said:

Not surprised that Silver Snow was the first route conceived (Byleth vs Edelgard was there from the beginning), but I still maintain the possibility that while Silver Snow had plans from the start and acted as a foundation, they were not acted on until late into the development process. Thus, while Verdant Wind came later, it was developed/implemented first. (Of course, it could also be the other way around and Verdant Wind used Silver Snow as a basis, but VW is superior in almost every way.)

If Silver Snow was indeed the first route made and implemented, I'm rather disappointed. I expected more tension between the Black Eagles and Edelgard/Hubert, as well as Byleth vs Edelgard. Seteth and Flayn, despite their amazing characterization, do not carry the same power as the other Lord + Retainer duos in my opinion.

Maybe its the case of "they got more experienced so as they worked on the game more, the later stuff became better."  But no matter the case, I hope Three Houses gets a "definitive edition" in a few years where they can expand on all of these ideas. I also somewhat hope for a Fates Remake that keeps basic premise but with a rewritten story, but that is another topic.

As for Lysithea and Edelgard experiments, I always thought Lysithea was a prototype, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

That is a clear lie to say "superior in every way" tho

You are objectively wrong, VW has its flaws and NEEDED more spotlight about Claude but instead he got shoved with Silver Snow events.

The Edelgard cutscene did not work as well in VW and she's just a worse character there in general.

Nemesis as the final boss felt haphazardly slapped in. Considering he's never brought up in any other route as an obstacle to face... Yeah.

Edited by Seazas

11 minutes ago, Seazas said:

That is a clear lie to say "superior in every way" tho

You are objectively wrong, VW has its flaws and NEEDED more spotlight about Claude but instead he got shoved with Silver Snow events.

The Edelgard cutscene did not work as well in VW and she's just a worse character there in general.

Nemesis as the final boss felt haphazardly slapped in. Considering he's never brought up in any other route as an obstacle to face... Yeah.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "objectively" wrong.

While I agree that Nemesis as a final boss is not handled well and doesn't make much sense... the same can be said for Rhea's random berserk mode + transforming all her allies into white beasts which doesn't occur on the other routes, nor is particularly hinted at either.

I do agree that the Edelgard death scene works a bit better on SS than VW, but I'm not inclined to give this much credit when Azure Moon handles antagonist Edelgard better than either.

Either way this is all definitely in the realm of subjective opinions. And on that front, you can definitely count me among the group that thinks that VW is a better route than SS, just because Claude is a compelling protagonist to watch in a way that nobody in SS is.

6 minutes ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

I wouldn't go so far as to say "objectively" wrong.

While I agree that Nemesis as a final boss is not handled well and doesn't make much sense... the same can be said for Rhea's random berserk mode + transforming all her allies into white beasts which doesn't occur on the other routes, nor is particularly hinted at either.

I do agree that the Edelgard death scene works a bit better on SS than VW, but I'm not inclined to give this much credit when Azure Moon handles antagonist Edelgard better than either.

Either way this is all definitely in the realm of subjective opinions. And on that front, you can definitely count me among the group that thinks that VW is a better route than SS, just because Claude is a compelling protagonist to watch in a way that nobody in SS is.

Claude is a "compelling protag" yet the route does not delve into him. 

Rhea breaking down and aspects of her past coming in makes more sense since Rhea IS touched on every route, Nemesis is not so comparing the two is dishonest

Silver Snow handled Edelgard in a different and interesting way, that deserves credit even if Azure Moon had it stronger, that feels like a deflection of the issue with VW to bring up AM. Verdant Wind did not handle Edelgard in any interesting way. 

Edited by Seazas

Rhea going bonkers in Silver Snow still comes out of nowhere though, in particular since the game never remotely hints the Nabateans can succumb to some sort of insanity/degeneration prior to the event.

That, and the fact it never happens in Verdant Wind despite going through almost the exact same events makes the whole event even more jarrying (and the same can be said for Nemesis being nowhere to be found in SS).

Speaking about the article, I'm interested if there's any mention about how they handled the Gronder Field Battles and if there was at some point the intention to make the 2nd battle happen for the Black Eagles, as they're only house which never gets the "Blood of the Eagle and Lion" chapter.

Edited by Moltz23

I'm not surprised SS was the first route, but it doesn't change my opinion on it much. I feel there's a number of missed opportunities that just made it feel underwhelming when compared to the others, and looking at this interview makes it apparent that they had grander plans for it for it due to the relationship Byleth would've had with Edelgard. If anything it just makes me wish they fleshed it out more since it's a base that's not too interesting itself, and it could've used more time to make it more compelling by expanding on what was there and exploring the ideas they originally had for it. 

As for the other tidbits, Claude being a fake name does make sense. As a character he's always been portrayed as someone who likes keeping all the cards to himself and having his real name being one of those cards would fit his personality, I don't agree that they couldn't have fit it into the story somewhere though, I can think of a couple moments in VW where they could've had that in and it wouldn't have thrown off the plot. Edelgard being able to mess with Byleth's Divine Pulse would've been a great element to explore and gameplay-wise it could've made for some interesting strategy since you'd have to work around her countering you, it also would've gave more of a point to Edelgard also having the Crest of Flames since it's not fully explored. 

Edelgard is about as significant in Silver Snow than she is in Verdant Wind, even though that relationship should be more compelling in that narrative because she's your former student. You get one cool cutscene and then she essentially plays the same role she does in VW and AM.

You can complain about Claude not "being delved into" however much you want, but holy crap is SS a parade of missed opportunities. Edelgard is bleh, Rhea gets shelved for half the game, and the other two lords are even more insignificant. Then she goes berserk for the finale because why not.

Then CS pretty much undermines all the lore reasons to play SS on top of that lol

Edited by Crysta

1 hour ago, Crysta said:

Edelgard is about as significant in Silver Snow than she is in Verdant Wind, even though that relationship should be more compelling in that narrative because she's your former student. You get one cool cutscene and then she essentially plays the same role she does in VW and AM.

You can complain about Claude not "being delved into" however much you want, but holy crap is SS a parade of missed opportunities. Edelgard is bleh, Rhea gets shelved for half the game, and the other two lords are even more insignificant. Then she goes berserk for the finale because why not.

Then CS pretty much undermines all the lore reasons to play SS on top of that lol

Doesn't matter if El has the role, it still WORKS because she's your student meanwhile you're a complete stranger and have no attachment to her in Claude's route. 

5 minutes ago, Seazas said:

Doesn't matter if El has the role, it still WORKS because she's your student meanwhile you're a complete stranger and have no attachment to her in Claude's route. 

. . .lovely, this isn't the story debate thread, it's about the interview.  Your thoughts?

On 3/21/2020 at 8:17 AM, Shrimperor said:

DLC incoming?

YES PLEASE!

And can we stop with ''Rhea bad'' comments now.

The "Rhea bad" comments really should have ended a long time ago.

It's made pretty clear over the course of the story that while you can argue the ethics of some of the things Rhea did, she didn't do it out of malicious or power-hungry intent (as much as Edelgard likes to use the narrative that she is power-hungry).

On 3/21/2020 at 12:12 PM, Thane said:

I tried finding it there but couldn't. Do you have the direct link?

I don't have a direct link either. There are multiple people saying it's from there but they didn't link a source link.

I am quite curious about  what are the other reasons Seiros for keeping Nemesis and the Elites as heroes and why does IS keep this as a secret. Are they planning to do more DLCs and possibly a prequel?  

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

. . .lovely, this isn't the story debate thread, it's about the interview.  Your thoughts?

Sorry-

I appreciate that we finally get confirmation on what was the first route. You'd think that would grant Silver Snow at least a little more respect after being dissed as a copy for so long...

The "But we'll keep that a secret for now" things in the interview really does make me wonder if we're gonna get a pre/mid/sequel or something focussing on claude after the war (since he pretty much always returns to almyra in every route unless you off him in CF). A definitive edition in like 5 years would also be very much liked by me. I'm really excited about the implications, really!

3 hours ago, Gordin said:

The "But we'll keep that a secret for now" things in the interview really does make me wonder if we're gonna get a pre/mid/sequel or something focussing on claude after the war (since he pretty much always returns to almyra in every route unless you off him in CF). A definitive edition in like 5 years would also be very much liked by me. I'm really excited about the implications, really!

Almyra 776 when?

I'm not sure if I want a game focused on Khalid per se, but maybe his mother? From what we hear of her, she's quite the character. Not saying I'm opposed to Claude though, because he's a great character with much more potential. I'm just wondering how he will work gameplay and story-wise. By that time, he's already strong and matured. 

I would still welcome an Almyra side story wholeheartedly (more Claude is a bonus bc I love Joe Zieja). It would be interesting to get a FE game with more of an Eastern European and Middle Eastern flair to it than the standard English/German themes that we usually get.

The lore of the game is so full that you could make at least three different FE Games out of it.

Thats why I found it a little bit disappointing that the DLC focussed on some side story instead of any of the historic events. On the other side you had the three lords interacting and working together which was also nice ....

18 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

It's made pretty clear over the course of the story that while you can argue the ethics of some of the things Rhea did, she didn't do it out of malicious or power-hungry intent (as much as Edelgard likes to use the narrative that she is power-hungry).

One can be bad without being malicious. I certainly think Rhea is "bad" in the sense that she's a negative influence on Fodlan, and there is plenty of evidence in the game to support this view. That said I don't really think this is the place for that discussion, beyond saying that I doubt this interview would sway anyone to think differently than they already do on the subject.

3 hours ago, Dark Holy Elf said:

One can be bad without being malicious. I certainly think Rhea is "bad" in the sense that she's a negative influence on Fodlan, and there is plenty of evidence in the game to support this view. That said I don't really think this is the place for that discussion, beyond saying that I doubt this interview would sway anyone to think differently than they already do on the subject.

Well while I might agree with your first point, the revelation that the whole falsification of history was done for the sake of peace and to stop further bloodshed instead of pure power lust does reduce one major complaint people had about Rhea. While it certainly led to some dire consequences in the long term it was quite a clever diplomatic move to solve some serious immediate problems.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:22 PM, Thunderstar said:

I don't have a direct link either. There are multiple people saying it's from there but they didn't link a source link.

I am quite curious about  what are the other reasons Seiros for keeping Nemesis and the Elites as heroes and why does IS keep this as a secret. Are they planning to do more DLCs and possibly a prequel?  

Some dataminers pointed out that the "sixth character" (aka female Ferdinand) was updated when DLC was released, instead she got a new name ID same as Byleth, her affiliation was switch to Church and received Crest of Flame. The theories were like alternative form of Byleth or even Sothis adult form. So maybe they really are working something in the secret.

To me, I just want to know more, both DLC and a prequel is welcomed.

Edited by Timlugia

On 3/21/2020 at 6:52 AM, Enryx25 said:

Another interesting info is that Silver Snow was actually the first route done, implying Verdant Wind is actually a copy of it and not the opposite like many think.

Can I just say that I ****ing called it?

On 3/21/2020 at 11:02 AM, Sire said:

Maybe its the case of "they got more experienced so as they worked on the game more, the later stuff became better."  But no matter the case, I hope Three Houses gets a "definitive edition" in a few years where they can expand on all of these ideas. I also somewhat hope for a Fates Remake that keeps basic premise but with a rewritten story, but that is another topic.

Money's on time crunch forcing them to spread resources around to finish the other routes and a bit of experience as they went along. Pretty sure Hilda's brother and Caspar's father were originally meant as bosses at some point.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:24 PM, Sentinel07 said:

She's still bad, depending on your viewpoint. I don't think anyone thinks Rhea is power-hungry so much as very selfish (as more time goes on), unethical and unnecessarily violent. I think the main complaint is her abuse of her power, which is different than being power-hungry. So this snippet of the interview only serves to sorta show that good-intentions don't always lead to good outcomes, which I sorta think is the driving point behind Rhea!

I'm excited for the full interview to be translated, as the translator said they only translated what they found interesting and ignored a lot about Edelgard. I'm not shocked Silver Snow was the first route concepted, but I still have doubts it was the first to be fully fleshed out/executed. When I write novels, sometimes the second book is the first one concepted, but it's rarely the first one done or polished. It was probably their starting point for lore/history/etc, but I still think that route (and VW) were the result of poor polishing.

Edited by Kiran_