New interview reveals some neat info

Thane

I certainly want to see more of Almyra but it would have to be a full blown sequel. A side game wouldn't be able to do it justice. 

Khalid could easily be the main lord since he can survive all routes. The game could easily play coy about exactly what happened while he was in Fodlan and perhaps can employ some imported save data ala the Tellius games. That said just an entirely different story set in Almyra could work too. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Khalid could easily be the main lord since he can survive all routes. The game could easily play coy about exactly what happened while he was in Fodlan and perhaps can employ some imported save data ala the Tellius games. That said just an entirely different story set in Almyra could work too. 

This is precisely what I don't want, personally. It doesn't feel like it would do Three Houses justice if that's the route they went, which of course makes a potential sequel that much harder to make.

38 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Either you import a save from previous game, or that a cutscene happens and asked you what major choices you made with Witcher 2?

That honestly was pretty dumb. Thanks to Wild Hunts rather suddenly becoming mainstream I don't think many of its players played Witcher 2. Locking a pretty crucial sidequest behind some questions about events you don't know was a very questionable decision. Its only pure luck I didn't miss out on Letho. 

Though if any potential Khalid game has a more practical way letting you pick what route Khalid lived through and make some changes accordingly then I'd be in for that. 

There are a few things that caught my eye:

Kusakihara: In my personal opinion, I think that some cruelty from the parts of developers is necessary. This is because if we weren’t cruel/callous in any way, then, just like pre-established harmony where everything only interacts with itself, it would be easy for readers/players to predict everything that will happen. A scenario that would completely be predicted by the reader/player is not something that feels attractive. And that’s why we went all out that way, but the wish to walk with Edelgard was incredibly strong even in the development team. Walking with Edelgard in “Crimson Flower”, or rather known as the, “Supreme Ruler Route” is something we honestly meant to be much more difficult to enter.

Does this mean that they had envisioned Silver Snow first, and then decided to have it that you could also side with Edelgard? If so, then that would contradict another interview were they said the route-split itself was planned from the very beginning:

(From that previous interview) 

Kusakihara: The direction of each house was decided from the start. The Black Eagles had characters with more challenging backgrounds. The Blue Lions had more traditional characters, while the Golden Deer was full of misfits.

–It seems more people started with the Black Eagles.

Kusakihara: That makes sense. It was the only house with a female leader.

–On top of that, that route also had a hidden story branch.

Yokota: We kept it hidden, but the idea to have a story branch was there since the creation of the Black Eagle route.

–Did you have plans to implement a story branch for the other houses?

Yokota: No. We only decided it for the Black Eagle house and to keep it a secret. Edelgard is a character with a unique position, but we thought it would be more interesting to have two stories here, then we implemented the triggers for it.

Not only that, but they repeatedly mention in this interview that they wanted the Black Eagles story to be "Unpredictable". Going in wanting your story to be unpredictable is not, strictly-speaking, a good idea when it comes to story writing: going out of your way to make your story unpredictable can result in surprises that don't make sense; see season 8 of Game of Thrones for an example. So, they are quite fortunate that it didn't harm the story too much. 

One other thing that caught my eye is the part where they talk about Edelgard:

Kusakihara: The character that guides the story has mostly been male characters up until now. The antagonist being a male character as a setting has also been often the case in my opinion… which is why we wanted to release something that is the opposite, to which you can say, a story that is hard to predict, and as such we ended up with a female character.

I get what they're saying; that Edelgard being female was just one of the different aspects of her character that was a result of wanting to write her to be "unpredictable" compared to previous FE antagonists. But I still find it funny, as they're basically saying that they wanted to make it a surprise that Edelgard is an antagonist, when she is yet another red-armoured emperor in an FE game, so they made her female, rather than making her something other than a red-armoured emperor in an FE game.

Someone dumped the full interview online, so hopefully we should be getting a more accurate translation in a few hours.

Also it seems to talk more about Dimitri than it was previously reported.

Edited by Moltz23

I read a translated version in Mandarin that part of interview discussed about Sothis

That her adult form is indeed similar to the one on the mural, and it was the form Rhea last remember, thus Rhea was surprised if you told her about the loli Sothis.

Edited by Timlugia

I found the Nintendo DREAM interview about Dimitri's eyepatch

ND: Please tell us the details on how Dimitri gets to wear an eyepatch after five years.

Kusakihara: Actually, we didn’t really have him wear an eyepatch from the beginning. When Kurahana-san made up the designs, I said “Is it okay to add an eyepatch?” That’s where it started. We have a foundation at the beginning to make the post-timeskip designs for any characters show an overall change on a broad range. We hoped the lifestyles they had taken during the five years could exude from their looks as well.

Dimitri’s eyepatch is also an idea that came out with such thought. That’s why he doesn’t wear an eyepatch only in the Crimson Flower arc where you stick with Edelgard. It shows how the experience he had wasn’t as terrible as other routes. The eyepatch is a symbol of having had a painful experience.

(Caption: In the Crimson Flower arc, the Kingdom conspired with the Church and was not invaded by the Empire, so both of Dimitri’s eyes are also still intact. Fans will want to thoroughly look at that even though he ends up becoming the enemy!?)

ETwG8aeWoAYATAI.jpg

1 hour ago, SeiroXorieS said:

(Caption: In the Crimson Flower arc, the Kingdom conspired with the Church and was not invaded by the Empire, so both of Dimitri’s eyes are also still intact. Fans will want to thoroughly look at that even though he ends up becoming the enemy!?)

That's a weird way for the interview to phrase Dimitri sheltering a woman driven out of her own home. 

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's a weird way for the interview to phrase Dimitri sheltering a woman driven out of her own home. 

Dimitri and Rhea do team up against the Empire in Crimson Flower to be fair, and Manuela even says that after the Garreg Mach invasion the Church moved its headquarters to Faerghus.

5 minutes ago, Moltz23 said:

Dimitri and Rhea do team up against the Empire in Crimson Flower to be fair, and Manuela even says that after the Garreg Mach invasion the Church moved its headquarters to Faerghus.

True but that's still not a conspiracy. Its Dimitri sheltering some exiles and fighting back. Its actually a shame Crimson Flower doesn't really get into the relation between the two factions aside from Dimitri and Rhea being cordial with each other. 

5 minutes ago, Crysta said:

“So what’s the story behind the eyepatch?”

”oh we just thought it’d look cool.”

We certainly can't argue with that logic. 

21 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

True but that's still not a conspiracy. Its Dimitri sheltering some exiles and fighting back. Its actually a shame Crimson Flower doesn't really get into the relation between the two factions aside from Dimitri and Rhea being cordial with each other. 

We certainly can't argue with that logic. 

Conspiracy can be defined as planning alongside more people to do a negative act against someone, and since the narration mentions Dimitri and Rhea are preparing an unified front to fight Adrestia, it still counts in the end for me. (besides, there's also the surprise attack the church launches against Garreg Mach in an attemp to take it back). I do agree it would've been cool they had gone more in-depth with their relationship.

15 hours ago, Agro said:

Anyone have a mirror link for this article? It's 404'd now.

Not exacly, but I found the whole interview in digital format, which is the next best thing.

Edited by Moltz23

6 hours ago, Moltz23 said:

That's great, thank you! Man, I wish the pictures were a bit bigger to make it easier to read. I might give translating a bit of this a go tomorrow if I'll have time, but I'm not as good at Japanese and therefore not as fast at translating as others in the community.

Edit: https://serenesforest.net/2020/03/24/three-houses-nintendo-dream-interview-reveals-first-route-claudes-real-name/ 

Guess that won't be necessary.

Edited by Thane

On 3/25/2020 at 1:58 AM, vanguard333 said:

There are a few things that caught my eye:

Does this mean that they had envisioned Silver Snow first, and then decided to have it that you could also side with Edelgard? If so, then that would contradict another interview were they said the route-split itself was planned from the very beginning:

Not only that, but they repeatedly mention in this interview that they wanted the Black Eagles story to be "Unpredictable". Going in wanting your story to be unpredictable is not, strictly-speaking, a good idea when it comes to story writing: going out of your way to make your story unpredictable can result in surprises that don't make sense; see season 8 of Game of Thrones for an example. So, they are quite fortunate that it didn't harm the story too much. 

One other thing that caught my eye is the part where they talk about Edelgard:

I get what they're saying; that Edelgard being female was just one of the different aspects of her character that was a result of wanting to write her to be "unpredictable" compared to previous FE antagonists. But I still find it funny, as they're basically saying that they wanted to make it a surprise that Edelgard is an antagonist, when she is yet another red-armoured emperor in an FE game, so they made her female, rather than making her something other than a red-armoured emperor in an FE game.

I think the real twist is her not being a typical antagonist despite showing signs of being that. There is more to Edelgard than meets the eye. Her not being really a villain is more of the twist than her being one.

That being said the story was never unpredictable for me, I am quite good at predicting. Not sure how her being female is connected, but it usually easier fo me to find a female sympathetic compared to a male. So her gender might serve to make her more relatable

9 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

I think the real twist is her not being a typical antagonist despite showing signs of being that. There is more to Edelgard than meets the eye. Her not being really a villain is more of the twist than her being one.

I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

That being said the story was never unpredictable for me, I am quite good at predicting. Not sure how her being female is connected, but it usually easier for me to find a female sympathetic compared to a male. So her gender might serve to make her more relatable

I was just pointing out what Kusakihara said; I think he was trying to say that it was one of the things that resulted from them wanting the story around Edelgard to be "unpredictable". 

I suppose it might make sense; the only other female emperor we've seen in FE was Sanaki, who wasn't an antagonist. 

30 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I suppose.

I was just pointing out what Kusakihara said; I think he was trying to say that it was one of the things that resulted from them wanting the story around Edelgard to be "unpredictable". 

I suppose it might make sense; the only other female emperor we've seen in FE was Sanaki, who wasn't an antagonist. 

I see, was confused why being female was unpredictable, I guess there simply hasn,t been that many female emperors or empresses in the series. 

Anyway, what is said in the interview about Edelgard being a counterpart to Byleth is still true, they both have the same crest, the chosen saviours of thrust into that role by others and destined to be enemies. Which is why them joining forces is so satisfying.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I think there are still some questions left to be translated. I would love to point out exactly which pages but sadly my knowledge about the japanese language is nearly non-existant.

27 minutes ago, eclipse said:

DO NOT TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER STORY TOPIC.

Not my intention

Just commenting on what is actually said in the interview and how that intention still holds true in the finished game

On 3/26/2020 at 5:50 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Maybe translation issue?

My Japanese isn't too good, but I don't think that word translate into "conspiring" but more like supporting each other.

I also read a Mandarin version of translation, using neutral word "cooperation" rather than conspiring.