New interview reveals some neat info

Thane

Looking at the full interview, some notes I got...

- Claude was originally intended to be more "morally gray" like the other two, but in the process of writing he became a "pure good guy" than what was planned.
- Look likes Three Houses development is truly over, so Holst will not be expanded upon...

... And that's basically what new stuff I gleamed from the 18 pages. It did seem the important stuff got translated first as the other stuff seems more fluff.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also noticed something from something revealed about Dimitri in CF.

unknown.png

「CF」では王国は教会と結託しており、帝国の侵略を受けていないため、ディミトリも両目とも健在。敵対してしまうものの、ファンならじっくり見ておきたい!?

In CF, the Kingdom and Church conspired together, and as they were not invaded by the Empire, Dimitri is able to be healthy with both his eyes. Even though he becomes an enemy, if you're a fan (of his), you would really want to see it!?

Apparently, Edelgard and the Empire never actually invaded Faerghus, but rather, Faerghus and the Church conspired together to topple the Empire. Basically meaning that Dimitri was never truly "defending" his home as many have argued. 

So Dimitri having both eyes actually made him worse. Guess the eyepatch is to indicate the sorrow he endured. 

I honestly don't like the interview and would prefer to ignore most of it, it have a nasty smell of retcon and plothole, most makes me look down on Claude and his story even more. And as I said in another topic, the fact that the truth of most things, is found not in-game but in interview, it's baffling.

I won't throw everything, obviously, a lot of cool things !

10 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

So Dimitri having both eyes actually made him worse. Guess the eyepatch is to indicate the sorrow he endured. 

Plot twist, The eyepatch was an Eyepatch of good alignement and badass +6. But the eye was an Eye of idiocy and self-righteousness +1. Hence why he's a badass in BL, and a looser in everything else. 😛

Edited by B.Leu

Kusakihara: Claude started with the keyword of "schemer hero" and I thought he'd weave more plots behind the scenes, and you can't hate him, but he's still a bad guy... But as I was writing him, he ended up more of a pure good guy than originally planned.

I really would've preferred if they had written him less as a "pure good guy". As it stands Claude really feels off compared to Edelgard, Dimitri and Rhea. I know some people will say that's the point but I can't help but feel he's missing something "exciting" when compared to those characters.

Edited by Strullemia

• No more dlc. I hope at some point KT returns to Fire Emblem
  • Don't like how Kusakihara plays coy with the whole "from a certain point of view" in terms if the dlc is an alternative story. Not to mention what is the actual history of 3H. Either make a guide book to Fodlan detailing the complete  account of the world or save it for a future entry.
  • Wonder if the changes to Mercedes' hair color were in turn making her have closer ties to Jeritza?
  • Claude was going to be more of a schemer. Has wondering at times if he was all talk. Him not telling any of the Golden Deer members if his Almyran name makes Clause more dishonest than he is. 
  • Never noticed that the banner flag featuring the crest of flames was supposed to be the "true" Fire Emblem. Good on him.
  • I wanted to see Holst. And if he had pink hair.
Edited by Jingle Jangle

21 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I also noticed something from something revealed about Dimitri in CF.

unknown.png

Apparently, Edelgard and the Empire never actually invaded Faerghus, but rather, Faerghus and the Church conspired together to topple the Empire. Basically meaning that Dimitri was never truly "defending" his home as many have argued. 

I wouldnt trust every word in that translation. A user already mentioned that "conspiring" is not what the japanese text actually ment and it means more of a neutral "cooperation".

Also isnt that quote just a caption to the picture? Meaning that some journalist at nintendo dreams wrote it and it does not directly comes from a developer? Because I dont find that passage in the actual interview.

Edited by Nihilem

34 minutes ago, Nihilem said:

I wouldnt trust every word in that translation. A user already mentioned that "conspiring" is not what the japanese text actually ment and it means more of a neutral "cooperation".

Also isnt that quote just a caption to the picture? Meaning that some journalist at nintendo dreams wrote it and it does not directly comes from a developer? Because I dont find that passage in the actual interview.

Conspire or cooperate does not change that it states here that the Empire is not invading, which still pushes the case of how Dimitri isn't really doing this to "defend" his home as argued by many.

Also, trying to say that this caption is just some journalist writing that is a bit silly, as this is in regards toward the interview still. 

12 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Conspire or cooperate does not change that it states here that the Empire is not invading, which still pushes the case of how Dimitri isn't really doing this to "defend" his home as argued by many.

Also, trying to say that this caption is just some journalist writing that is a bit silly, as this is in regards toward the interview still. 

But its not in the interview. They only talk about it beeing a sign of hardships. Its something a writer of nintendo dreams (who has most likely not more insight into the depths of lore of foldlan than you or me) has written to round of the picture. A personal opinion of that guy so to speak.

If it would be a sentence of a developer (and therefore be part of the interview) it would appear in the transcript of the interview. But it does not.

Edited by Nihilem

1 minute ago, Nihilem said:

But its not in the interview. They only talk about it beeing a sign of hardships. Its something a writer of nintendo dreams (who has most likely not more insight into the depths of lore of foldlan than you or me) has written to round of the picture. A personal opinion of that guy so to speak.

If it would be a sentence of a developer (and therefore part of the interview) it would appear in the transcript of the interview. But it does not.

There are multiple cases of captions being written. It isn't written only as regards to what the "opinion" of the journalist by any means, so discrediting them and labeling it as a journalist's opinion is also by all means silly. Yes, the eyepatch is the symbol of his hardship, but that's why it's mentioned that the eyepatch lost here is how he didn't suffer those hardships. 

Well you can believe whatever you like. But normally developers of a game do not write articles in magazines. That is the job of journalists. So unless the writer directly quotes a developer (which he does not) or directly states that a certain sentence is not from him but from someone else I am going to assume that certain sentence is from that writer. For me that is common sense or do you really think that each caption in a article of a game is approved (for loreful correctness) by the developers?

So in my opinion the situation is quite simple - everything that is in the actual interview is canon because it comes directly from the developers. Everything around it is fan theory. Which of course could be from a secret private interview which we do not know about. Or it could just be - as I personally think - something the writer came up with because he needed something the round off the nice picture he wanted to include.

So - in all due respect - in my opinion it is silly to state something outside the actual game as canon or an unquestioned fact - unless it can be traced back directly to a statement of developer. Which in this case cant be done.

Edited by Nihilem

12 minutes ago, Nihilem said:

Well you can believe whatever you like. But normally developers of a game do not write articles in magazines. That is the job of journalists. So unless the writer directly quotes a developer (which he does not) or directly states that a certain sentence is not from him but from someone else I am going to assume that certain sentence is from that writer. For me that is common sense or do you really think that each caption in a article of a game is approved (for loreful correctness) by the developers?

So in my opinion the situation is quite simple - everything that is in the actual interview is canon because it comes directly from the developers. Everything around it is fan theory. Which of course could be from a secret private interview which we do not know about. Or it could just be - as I personally think - something the writer came up with because he needed something the round off the nice picture he wanted to include.

So - in all due respect - in my opinion it is silly to state something outside the actual game as canon or an unquestioned fact - unless it can be traced back directly to a statement of developer. Which in this case cant be done.

Except the game DOES show it. Faerghus takes in the Church of Seiros, who is at war with the Church of Seiros and agreed to ally with them. The Empire never attacked Faerghus, so the nation overall joined the war. 

So no, this caption you're intent on discrediting because you presume it's just some journalist's opinion, is overall something that is very much supported by the game itself. 

21 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Except the game DOES show it. Faerghus takes in the Church of Seiros, who is at war with the Church of Seiros and agreed to ally with them. The Empire never attacked Faerghus, so the nation overall joined the war. 

So no, this caption you're intent on discrediting because you presume it's just some journalist's opinion, is overall something that is very much supported by the game itself. 

That goes now into story discussion. And I have noticed that the Moderators do not like it if every thread goes into story discussions. If you have a source inside the game please use that for your arguments not some sentence from some magazine. It is much more canon. I did not contribute to whatever discussion you had before. I was just mentioning that the source you had is not reliable.

Unfortunately many game magazine journalist just state their personal opinions in articles as if they were facts. So in general I do not believe anything (at least when it goes alittle bit deeper into the substance of the story ) I read in an article as long as it is not clearly cited/quoted where that information comes from. But you can be free to believe whatever you like. Just dont be surprised if other peopledo not follow your argumentation then.

Edited by Nihilem

2 hours ago, Nihilem said:

That goes now into story discussion. And I have noticed that the Moderators do not like it if every thread goes into story discussions. If you have a source inside the game please use that for your arguments not some sentence from some magazine. It is much more canon. I did not contribute to whatever discussion you had before. I was just mentioning that the source you had is not reliable.

Unfortunately many game magazine journalist just state their personal opinions in articles as if they were facts. So in general I do not believe anything (at least when it goes alittle bit deeper into the substance of the story ) I read in an article as long as it is not clearly cited/quoted where that information comes from. But you can be free to believe whatever you like. Just dont be surprised if other peopledo not follow your argumentation then.

But overall, everything you are going about is, "It is in a caption, therefore it is the journalist's opinion." 

Where exactly is the evidence that what you said is true, exactly? Trying to say this is opinion based on your opinion seems extremely flimsy. 

The caption is the author's interpretation of what was said in the interview rather than an actual quote from the interview. I don't see any problem with being cautious about it, particularly when translating from another language, and I wouldn't consider it great evidence to spearhead another storyline argument either.

Edited by Crysta

I quiet like how Kusakihara is talking about worldbuilding in the interview. He seems very dedicated about this topic and I think you can see it in 3H how much his worldbuilding affected the game. The worldbuilding really was one of the best parts of the game and Kusakihara seems to be a good one to take care of stuff like that. If he sticks around for this in future fire emblems I'm sure it will be good.

10 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

But overall, everything you are going about is, "It is in a caption, therefore it is the journalist's opinion." 

Where exactly is the evidence that what you said is true, exactly? Trying to say this is opinion based on your opinion seems extremely flimsy. 

It is the advantage of the skeptic that there is no proof required to not believe something. It is enough that there is no proof for the opposite either.

I just find it weird that the author would decide to cut that text passage out of the actual interview and use it as a caption. When authors use phrases from the interview partner (like e.g. for headlines) you normally find them in the actual text as the interview is normally done and finished before the article is written. Also they are then usually marked and I didnt saw japanese quotation marks in the picture you showed.

54 minutes ago, Nihilem said:

It is the advantage of the skeptic that there is no proof required to not believe something. It is enough that there is no proof for the opposite either.

I just find it weird that the author would decide to cut that text passage out of the actual interview and use it as a caption. When authors use phrases from the interview partner (like e.g. for headlines) you normally find them in the actual text as the interview is normally done and finished before the article is written. Also they are then usually marked and I didnt saw japanese quotation marks in the picture you showed.

Does it really matter? Who attacked who first is kind of irrelevant next to the ideals behind the war and why is being fought in the first place. That being said, I have hard time imagining Rhea wouldn't attack Edelgard after the holy tomb incident, she even says as much. 

"The church of Seiros will raise its entire army against you until you have been captured and punished"

This was said before the declaration of war was even made. But maybe we should discuss this elsewhere as this is somewhat off topic, as I am basing my evidence outside of the interview.

30 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Does it really matter? Who attacked who first is kind of irrelevant next to the ideals behind the war and why is being fought in the first place. That being said, I have hard time imagining Rhea wouldn't attack Edelgard after the holy tomb incident, she even says as much. 

"The church of Seiros will raise its entire army against you until you have been captured and punished"

This was said before the declaration of war was even made. But maybe we should discuss this elsewhere as this is somewhat off topic, as I am basing my evidence outside of the interview.

Also the story stuff is a discussion which I am not a part of. I just wanted to clarify that using this sentence from the magazine is not undeniable proof of this particular lore question. Because there is no (at least from my pov) convincing argument that this particular sentence is actually from the developers. So if there are ingame sources as evidence for your claims just use them instead of the outgame source.

Edited by Nihilem

22 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Wonder if the changes to Mercedes' hair color were in turn making her have closer ties to Jeritza?

It's fairly possible. Not only she is the only student whose hair color in the concept art matches with the one shown during 2018's E3, there's also this line on the interview which hints that was the case:

Kusakihara: We started with the original plans as a base and had the scenario director and the development team go from there. Depending on the character, we had some fairly specific things decided in advance, like Mercedes has such-and-such a household, but she actually has a Crest from a dead family… Stuff like that. And on top of that, Emile is her younger brother… Backstory like that was fleshed out in the process of deepening the scenario, until it got to how it is now.