Which games would you like to see a remake or remaster of?

ciphertul

Many games seem to be getting the remake/remaster treatment but there are many great games that probably won’t. What is the games you wish to see be redone?

The 2 biggest ones I would like to see: The original .Hack saga (infection/mutation/outbreak/quarantine) I loved this games and as much as I loved the G.U. games, the original were better

Rune Factory 3: while this is a unrealistic, I would love to see this get the Tides of Destiny style treatment but with 3’s characters and story 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guild Wars 1 - the best and deepest online CRPG ever made.

All of the pre-Awakening Fire Emblems. Yes, even Shadow Dragon/New Mystery getting actual modern games with actual writing and support conversations. But my most wanted are Path of Radiance, Geneology, and Sacred Stones.

Persona 3 and 4 on modern consoles. Pure handhelds don't count!

Final Fantasy 6.

I'd like to see a Switch version of Dragon Quest IX.  Main reason is a good chunk of the game is now inaccessible through official channels (there are fan run workarounds, but still).  Dragon Quest IX's greatest strength was its postgame so it would be nice to access it officially again.

Also because it could do with a prettiness upgrade and maybe some expansions on the characters.

Xenogears absoultely deserves a remake. HOWEVER. I want Monolith Soft to do it. Because i absolutely do not trust Square Enix to do a Xenogears remake justice. Xenosaga should also get remakes (also preferably by Monolith Soft) but that one probably has a less chance than a Xenogears remake since Namco said it wouldn't be profitable. Honestly tho, Xenosaga could work as just remasters, as long as the gameplay in Episodes 1 and 2 is improved.

Baten Kaitos remakes would be pretty dope. Gameplay-wise, it actually hasn't aged all that badly though the visuals definitly do need a buff. I'd be more ok with a remaster but i would prefer a remake.

A Fire Emblem remake is inevitable so i really want the next one to be a Binding Blade remake.

I want older Rune Factory games to get the Special treatment, mainly because with the exception of Tides of Destiny, all of them are on DS and emulating DS games kinda sucks. Also, making Special versions of other Rune Factory games would make the series more accessible.

Edited by Armagon

I'd just like western releases of New Mystery, Binding Blade, Thracia 776 and Geneology of the Holy War. I wouldn't even care if they didn't update a thing. (Ok, I'd like Binding Blade to give endings for everyone instead of just the endgame crew)

I'd like a switch port of Dragon's Quest IV and V. I know there's other ways of playing them.. but after doing 1, 2, and 3 I want to do IV and V. (VI would be alright but those two interest me more).

But if I wanted to do something oddball, I'd say Yoshi's third cousin twice removed Croc. I know they weren't the most polished platformers, but I'd be interested to see what could be done with a remake. Perhaps some refinement of the controls would be needed because they were a little on the awkward side compared to, say Mario 64

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I want older Rune Factory games to get the Special treatment, mainly because with the exception of Tides of Destiny, all of them are on DS and emulating DS games kinda sucks. Also, making Special versions of other Rune Factory games would make the series more accessible

Frontier as well, that was on Wii... but it was probably my least favorite out of the ones I’ve played(all but rune factory 2). But I agree it’s sad that Rune Factory 4 is getting a switch remake and none of the others are

Edited by ciphertul

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD. Please! We've gotten Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, hell, even technically a Four Swords remake/remaster at this point. The only past home console 3D Zelda game that hasn't yet gotten the HD release treatment is Skyward Sword and it's my favorite Zelda. I'd love to be able to play this on Switch with the joy cons playing like the Wiimote and nunchuk did.

And extra content can be added to the sky area, like Amiibo and more goodies and such. This would also solve the problem of the sky feeling emptyish as is.

Other games I'd like to see remasters/remakes of:

- Tellius Fire Emblem games
- Fire Emblems 4 and 5
- LoZ: The Minish Cap (even though I think the colorful sprite graphics here are really pretty, I'd still love this. TMC is my favorite handheld Zelda.
- Pokemon Snap (if not a brand new game, which would be preferable, but I'll take a remake too)
- Mario Paint (I know the Art Academy games exist and all, but there's no Mario version lol. So either this or Mario Art Academy please! I love the references to Mario Paint that the Mario Maker games have, but they're still not actual Mario art games, as fun as they are)
- Disney's Magical Quest series (since the old Lion King and Aladdin games on SNES got a double port to Switch!)

Edited by Anacybele

43 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD. Please!

Yes! They should also make motion controls an option, since a lot of people hated thrm, but I loved them so much!

LoZ: The Minish Cap (

Yes please also! I want to play this game so it actually has quality of life feafures!  Hecking teardrop temple. And the final boss was REALLY hard to get to with the time limit.

Tellius Fire Emblem games

Also this! RD was close to perfect IMO and I want to see it with supports. (And Mist and Rolf. And Aran and Laura.)

And Sacred stones deserves a remake so it can be done right.

Aside from that, Somic and all-stars racong transformed deserves a switch port. (I don't think it has one?) It's a great game because the graphics are quite good, and it's a HUUUUUUUUGE game, but it's also hilarious how glitchy it is. Aon one of the maps, if you have more than two players on the tv, the light on the map doesn't load so most of it is pitch black. (My favourite is how two of the maps have walls that you can literally drive straight through and clip through everything.)

Edited by Benice

Let's see other then remakes of the Japanese only FE games, I would love remasters of the older SMT games release them on the e-shop like the DMC games and I would be happy I just want a chance to play them since I missed them.  Xenogears and Xenosaga would also be nice, as long as Monolith Soft does it like said above.  I would love to be able to play the games based on my favorite anime Saiyuki, they were Japan only so a Switch version that has English subtitles would make me so happy but I know the likely hood is pretty low.

NieR, both Replicant and Gestalt (Remaster)

FE4, FE9 and FE10 (Remaster +/ Graphic Overhaul/ whatever you want to call it, i mean a Remake that is as faithful to the original source as possible (basically what Crash N-Sane Trilogy is to Crash 1, 2 and 3), though i'd like for FE4's Graphic Overhaul to be 2D and not 3D)

Final Fantasy VI (Remake)

this is my list foe now

Edited by Yexin

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Yes! They should also make motion controls an option, since a lot of people hated thrm, but I loved them so much!

I feel like people mostly only hated the controls for being different and something new to get used to. With a little bit of imperfect implementation too though. But I loved the controls, personally!

Yes please also! I want to play this game so it actually has quality of life feafures!  Hecking teardrop temple. And the final boss was REALLY hard to get to with the time limit.

Huh, I thought Vaati was hard more for having three damn tough forms to deal with, not so much the time limit in reaching him.

Also this! RD was close to perfect IMO and I want to see it with supports. (And Mist and Rolf. And Aran and Laura.)

Of course, I gotta throw Ike x Elincia in here too. I don't care if Ike becomes Lincy's prince consort or Lincy gives her throne to Renning to live with Ike and the Greil Mercs, I just gotta have an ending for them. Heck, it can even be platonic since that'd still be better than nothing. And Ike's normal ending getting changed too. The way it is, it makes no sense for his character, it came with no explanation for it, and what's worse, it literally contradicts things he's said and done.

I would certainly want to see remakes of Quintet's Soul Blazer trilogy. Though that might be hard to see it happen, as ever since they were under, Quintet's games are in copyright limbo, apparently.

Also many of the old SRW games. Now that the games are getting official English translations (even if they still are only released in East Asia officially), it could finally be the chance for people all over to properly get to play them.

5 hours ago, Brovett said:

A remake of Fallout 3. 

Game looks good for something that came out in 2008, but it could use a makeover. Also, console mods would be real nice. It will certainly be a nostalgia trip for people who played it back when it came out. 

Do you really trust Bethesda to not fuck it up after the Fallout 76 debacle?

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

And Ike's normal ending getting changed too. The way it is, it makes no sense for his character, it came with no explanation for it, and what's worse, it literally contradicts things he's said and done.

Changing it would contradict the whole "Priam being descended from Ike" thing in Awakening, though.

Anyway, a TimeSplitters Trilogy HD Collection is the only thing I'd want a remaster of.

4 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Changing it would contradict the whole "Priam being descended from Ike" thing in Awakening, though.

No it wouldn't. One of Ike's kids or grandkids or other later descendant could depart Tellius instead. Ike doesn't have to leave for Priam to end up in Ylisse. Some people don't consider Priam canon either, even though I personally do. I'd rather Priam's existence be possibly non-canon than Ike to just up and go against his promise to Mist that he'd never leave her or suddenly abandon his father's mercenary company.

Edited by Anacybele

To clarify: by "remake", I mean something that has to make large gameplay changes because of how old the game is. By "remaster" I mean something that doesn't have to do much outside of a graphical update and tweaking things here and there. 

Remake:

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks: I think it would be fantastic to see these games remade for the Switch, with the following improvements and overhauls:

• Their gameplay updated and overhauled to not be touch-screen dependent; this probably goes without saying
  • Phantom Hourglass is given all the improvements Spirit Tracks made to the gameplay
  • Both vehicles have the gameplay & environment around them expanded upon
  • Utilizing Zelda in Spirit Tracks is made more intuitive and easier to use at the same time as trying to use Link

Remaster:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance & Radian Dawn: These are two of the best Fire Emblem games, with Path of Radiance being my favourite game of all time. For these two, I would want to see a graphical update that retains the originals' artistic styles, removal of biorhythm, and some added paired endings. 

Megaman Battle Network 1-6: I loved the gameplay in these games, and it would be great to see Capcom take another look at them and bring them back in some way. 

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures: This was a rather unusual Zelda game, but it was absolutely fun to play, and it would make a great multiplayer Zelda game now that Nintendo isn't trying to force anyone to buy that GBA connector cable anymore. It honestly doesn't even need too much done to it. 

On 3/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, Anacybele said:

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD. Please! We've gotten Twilight Princess, The Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, hell, even technically a Four Swords remake/remaster at this point. The only past home console 3D Zelda game that hasn't yet gotten the HD release treatment is Skyward Sword and it's my favorite Zelda. I'd love to be able to play this on Switch with the joy cons playing like the Wiimote and nunchuk did.

Interesting; you and I are pretty much in agreement on best Fire Emblem games, but almost opposite on best Zelda games. Skyward Sword is easily my least-favourite: I disliked being at a disadvantage because I'm a leftie, I disliked how Link is right-handed, I disliked how huge chunks of the game are repeated twice, I disliked how empty the sky is, I disliked how the world is broken into four sections, etc.

The HD treatments given to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were a bit lackluster; Wind Waker seriously needing the cut content added back in, and Twilight Princess needing a graphical overhaul and Wolf Link to be improved and expanded on, but Skyward Sword would be the game that most needs a serious overhaul, despite being the newest 3D Zelda outside of Breath of the Wild. 

Edited by vanguard333

Pure (2008)

There was always a bunch of minor ATV games existing in the extreme sport genre but personally I feel like most of them never reached much higher than being "rally" games - but PURE rises far above any other - Personally think it's worthy of being the 3rd member of the pantheon with Tony Hawk and SSX - 

Twisted Metal,  Interstate 76, or Vigilante 8- 

I need a Car Combat game again

Sonic Adventure 2 (and to a lesser extent 1): Easily my favorite Sonic game and one I think could use an overhaul to the gameplay and graphics. I’m not as attached to the first Adventure game, but I wouldn’t be against a remake so long as 2 isn’t overlooked.

Fire Emblem 6+7: Binding Blade remains my favorite FE game, and Blazingn Sword is somewhere in my top 5, so they’re my top candidates. A bundle would be ideal.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl: I know, it’s a given, but I just hope it follows the path of HGSS/ORAS rather than the Let’s Go games. 

-Any other JP-only Fire Emblem game: So far, we’re only missing FE4-6 (and technically 3, but you can thank FE11’s poor reception).

-Tomato Adventure: This was a really fun game, and I’ve been wishing in vain for it to come to the west since 2017.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Interesting; you and I are pretty much in agreement on best Fire Emblem games, but almost opposite on best Zelda games. Skyward Sword is easily my least-favourite: I disliked being at a disadvantage because I'm a leftie, I disliked how Link is right-handed, I disliked how huge chunks of the game are repeated twice, I disliked how empty the sky is, I disliked how the world is broken into four sections, etc.

Well, a remaster can solve that handedness problem by adding in the option to make Link a lefty again. And I did mention that content could be added to the sky too. Can't do anything about the backtracking or the world being split into four areas tho, sadly.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

The HD treatments given to Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were a bit lackluster; Wind Waker seriously needing the cut content added back in, and Twilight Princess needing a graphical overhaul and Wolf Link to be improved and expanded on, but Skyward Sword would be the game that most needs a serious overhaul, despite being the newest 3D Zelda outside of Breath of the Wild. 

First paragraph: I am also a lefty, (other than for sometimes throwing frisbees backhanded because my brain.) And I found using the sword in the wrong hand ti be an advantage since I could shield bash with ease, and shield bashing is the way to defeat every boss save Tentalus and the imprisoned. 

Second paragraph: I played twilight princess on the wii, which I think makes it a remake? I didn't have THAT big of a problem with the graphics or Wolf Link, but the twilight bug quests were VERY time consuming. And the carriage mission. I also played Wind waker HD, and I quite liked it! It's my third or fourth favourite, tied with twilight princess. I don't think WW needs a switch port as anything but an HD for the switch. I wouldn't mind twilight princess, but I don't have a switch, probably won't get one unless BOTW 2 is switch-exclusive. Or I win the lottery and can afford it. Honestly, the most likely remake is OoT, which I found to be not very good. And not in a "UwU graphics aren't BOTW level" kinda way, more, "Why the frick would I need to give this brooding guy a mushroom from the lost woods?/ SHADOW/WATER/FOREST/ICE CAVE/JABU-JABU' THICC STOMACH TEMPLE STOP BEING EVILLLL (admittedly, the graphics caused a lot of my problems in the shadow temple.) Despite my complaints, I did enjoy OoT, but it didn't live up to the hype.

Also, can I just say that the sand sea is my favourite thing ever? The Lanayru region in general blew my mind. Skyward sword had by far the best temple design in the series by a wide margin, IMO. Ancient cistern is probably my favourite,

Edited by Benice

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

First paragraph: I am also a lefty, (other than for sometimes throwing frisbees backhanded because my brain.) And I found using the sword in the wrong hand ti be an advantage since I could shield bash with ease, and shield bashing is the way to defeat every boss save Tentalus and the imprisoned. 

What I find disadvantageous is that I swing the wii remote with my left hand, and Link swings his sword with his right hand. Having to account for that is disadvantageous in a game dependent on motion controls. It isn't a problem when all you have to do is press a button on a controller (which is why Nintendo's excuse for Link being right-handed in Breath of the Wild is BS). I agree about the shield-bashing. 

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Second paragraph: I played twilight princess on the wii, which I think makes it a remake? I didn't have THAT big of a problem with the graphics or Wolf Link, but the twilight bug quests were VERY time consuming. And the carriage mission. I also played Wind waker HD, and I quite liked it! It's my third or fourth favourite, tied with twilight princess. I don't think WW needs a switch port as anything but an HD for the switch. I wouldn't mind twilight princess, but I don't have a switch, probably won't get one unless BOTW 2 is switch-exclusive. Or I win the lottery and can afford it.

The Wii version of Twilight Princess wasn't a remake; it launched on both the GameCube and the Wii at the same time. The "remake" was the Wii U version, which made the graphics HD and added a lamp for tracking Poes. I agree about the shadow bug quest; looking back, it felt a lot like filler. 

I liked Wind Waker HD as well (though the excessive bloom that was added can be a bit tiring on the eyes). Wind Waker in general is easily my favourite of the 3D Zelda games. My one issue with it is that it is missing in content compared to other 3D Zelda games, and the reason for that is that it was rushed out the door. Seriously; the developers have admitted that two dungeons from the game, as well as underwater sections of the temple dungeons in the second part of the game, were cut solely because of time constraints. They had planned to add them back in for the HD remake, but then they decided not to. 

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

Honestly, the most likely remake is OoT, which I found to be not very good. And not in a "UwU graphics aren't BOTW level" kinda way, more, "Why the frick would I need to give this brooding guy a mushroom from the lost woods?/ SHADOW/WATER/FOREST/ICE CAVE/JABU-JABU' THICC STOMACH TEMPLE STOP BEING EVILLLL (admittedly, the graphics caused a lot of my problems in the shadow temple.) Despite my complaints, I did enjoy OoT, but it didn't live up to the hype.

…I do not understand this paragraph at all. Could you please clarify your criticisms?

And of course Ocarina of Time doesn't live up to the hype; there isn't a game in existence that can live up to the crazy amount of hype Ocarina of Time has gotten over the years because it's such an iconic part of gaming history. Honestly, I would say that, to this day, it is a great game, and it does hold up very well (apart from graphics obviously, but the graphics were always going to age). Credit where credit is due, the game does hold up against the test of time. 

39 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, a remaster can solve that handedness problem by adding in the option to make Link a lefty again. And I did mention that content could be added to the sky too. Can't do anything about the backtracking or the world being split into four areas tho, sadly.

True. Honestly, I don't think a remake of Skyward Sword would change my opinion of it too much, but if it make those changes, it would probably make it a lot more enjoyable to play. I honestly would probably still feel like it's the weakest of the 3D Zelda, but considering the other 3D Zelda games are very good games, that honestly isn't saying much. 

For my full opinion of Skyward Sword, well, this review probably sums it up better than I could: