Which games would you like to see a remake or remaster of?

ciphertul

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I do not understand this paragraph at all. Could you please clarify your criticisms?

My god, what the heck did I even write? This is the last time I write while dinner is almost ready. What I meant to say was:

I found the problems with Ocarina weren't that it was "Old" or that the QoL mechanics were bad/nonexistent, (which are complaints I have for Fe4,) but that a large portions of the side quests made no sense, (Such as the bloke in Kakariko village who sits under the tree at night and complains about nobody understanding him. You have to give him a mushroom.) and that the temple design frequently wasn't that great. I'm not talking so much about the water temple, (it wasn't great, but it didn't kill the game,) but mostly the shadow temple and Ice Cave. I found MOST of the temples to be quite boring too. (I love the spirit temple to death, though.) In general, I found the game to be far weaker than the other games I had played, even minish cap, which despite its evil moments had some good temples and fights.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Benice said:

My god, what the heck did I even write? This is the last time I write while dinner is almost ready. What I meant to say was:

I found the problems with Ocarina weren't that it was "Old" or that the QoL mechanics were bad/nonexistent, (which are complaints I have for Fe4,) but that a large portions of the side quests made no sense, (Such as the bloke in Kakariko village who sits under the tree at night and complains about nobody understanding him. You have to give him a mushroom.) and that the temple design frequently wasn't that great. I'm not talking so much about the water temple, (it wasn't great, but it didn't kill the game,) but mostly the shadow temple and Ice Cave. I found MOST of the temples to be quite boring too. (I love the spirit temple to death, though.) In general, I found the game to be far weaker than the other games I had played, even minish cap, which despite its evil moments had some good temples and fights.

I completely understand. 

You talking about the trading sidequest? I thought that it made a lot of sense. You don't give the Odd Mushroom to the Master Carpenter's son (the guy who sits under a tree complaining); you get it from the Master Carpenter's son. He went into the Lost Woods to get potion materials for the old lady that makes potions (it's implied that she's either his mother or his grandmother). She then makes an Odd Potion from it to give to him for his illness that affected him after entering the Lost Woods. But, when you go to where he was to deliver it to him, you instead find a Kokiri who tells you that it's too late; he turned into a Stalfos. She gives you his Poacher's Saw, which you give to the Master Carpenter to explain what happened to his son. As thanks, the Carpenter gives you the broken Biggoron's Sword; beginning that part of the trading quest. 

I quite liked the Ice Cavern and the Shadow Temple; what did you think was wrong with them? Was it the abundance of traps? That's the only thing I can think of that those two have in common. Plus, how was riding a Ship of the Dead and fighting Stalfos under a time limit, or fighting Bongo Bongo while standing on a drum, boring?

Edited by vanguard333

42 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

I quite liked the Ice Cavern and the Shadow Temple; what did you think was wrong with them? Was it the abundance of traps? That's the only thing I can think of that those two have in common. Plus, how was riding a Ship of the Dead and fighting Stalfos under a time limit, or fighting Bongo Bongo while standing on a drum, boring?

Shadow temple: The parts where you use the lens of truth hurt my eyes a lot. I just found it to be a long and grueling process in general. I loved the Bongo Bongo boss fight a lot, but I don't remember the stalfos on a  ship thing. The ice cave's spikes were the bane of my existence.

45 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

You talking about the trading sidequest? I thought that it made a lot of sense. You don't give the Odd Mushroom to the Master Carpenter's son (the guy who sits under a tree complaining); you get it from the Master Carpenter's son. He went into the Lost Woods to get potion materials for the old lady that makes potions (it's implied that she's either his mother or his grandmother). She then makes an Odd Potion from it to give to him for his illness that affected him after entering the Lost Woods. But, when you go to where he was to deliver it to him, you instead find a Kokiri who tells you that it's too late; he turned into a Stalfos. She gives you his Poacher's Saw, which you give to the Master Carpenter to explain what happened to his son. As thanks, the Carpenter gives you the

broken Biggoron's Sword; beginning that part of the trading quest. 

I just found it all to be very obscure. Heck, most of the biggoron sword quests were obscure, including finding mr. biggoron again, (I think, it's been a few years since I last played,) I don't recall the game explaining the master carpenter' son was the boloke under the tree. Might be misremembering, though.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

You don't give Grog a mushroom. You give him his pet cucco and he gives you a mushroom in return. The only real nonsensical part of the quest is jumping from helping Grog and Granny to giving the Poacher's Saw to Mutoh which spins it in a completely different trajectory. But from there the aim upfront is to get a better sword and every step taken is in aid of that.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You don't give Grog a mushroom. You give him his pet cucco and he gives you a mushroom in return. The only real nonsensical part of the quest is jumping from helping Grog and Granny to giving the Poacher's Saw to Mutoh which spins it in a completely different trajectory. But from there the aim upfront is to get a better sword and every step taken is in aid of that.

Yeah, even though I SOUND like a noob, I did finish all of the biggoron quests, but it just seemed to jump around a few too many times for my weak brain to handle. To be honest, without my friend or the internet, I likely would have only fnished  these quests by accident if at all.

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I already explained that to him. Also, Grog is the Majora's Mask character with the same character model. In Ocarina of Time, the character is just called "Carpenter's Son". 

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

Shadow temple: The parts where you use the lens of truth hurt my eyes a lot. I just found it to be a long and grueling process in general. I loved the Bongo Bongo boss fight a lot, but I don't remember the stalfos on a  ship thing. The ice cave's spikes were the bane of my existence.

The Lens of Truth hurting your eyes a lot sounds like something specific to you. Don't get me wrong; it's sad that that was your experience of the dungeon. I'm just saying that sounds more like a personal issue rather than an objective problem. 

You do know you can get the spikes to fall without them landing on you? You just have to proceed carefully and be aware of your surroundings; something the game actively incentivizes since before the first dungeon. 

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

I just found it all to be very obscure. Heck, most of the biggoron sword quests were obscure, including finding mr. biggoron again, (I think, it's been a few years since I last played,) I don't recall the game explaining the master carpenter' son was the bloke under the tree. Might be misremembering, though.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, even though I SOUND like a noob, I did finish all of the biggoron quests, but it just seemed to jump around a few too many times for my weak brain to handle. To be honest, without my friend or the internet, I likely would have only finished  these quests by accident if at all.

The game explains it a few times, though admittedly, it could've been more clear at times. There's the thing about Ocarina of Time: it drops a lot of hints about how to proceed, even for the side quests, but those hints can sometimes be scattered enough that a lot of players will sometimes find themselves resorting to a guide for help. You really need to listen carefully to what the different characters are saying. 

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

The Lens of Truth hurting your eyes a lot sounds like something specific to you. Don't get me wrong; it's sad that that was your experience of the dungeon. I'm just saying that sounds more like a personal issue rather than an objective problem. 

You do know you can get the spikes to fall without them landing on you? You just have to proceed carefully and be aware of your surroundings; something the game actively incentivizes since before the first dungeon. 

It kinda was? I got super discombobulated because I couldn't get the cursor to do what I want. Plus, the wals being a copied, detailed pattern didn't help. I just generally found the shadow temple frustrating, but it has been a while since I last played, maybe I'm misremembering.

I don't remember a lot about the ice cave, just that it took me WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long to finish it.

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

The game explains it a few times, though admittedly, it could've been more clear at times. There's the thing about Ocarina of Time: it drops a lot of hints about how to proceed, even for the side quests, but those hints can sometimes be scattered enough that a lot of players will sometimes find themselves resorting to a guide for help. You really need to listen carefully to what the different characters are saying. 

Ooh, speaking of listen carefully, in a remake, for god's sakes, don't make the skip text button so annoying! I must have missed the text for that at some point, because I recall missing a lot of stuff because of that.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

Yeah, even though I SOUND like a noob, I did finish all of the biggoron quests, but it just seemed to jump around a few too many times for my weak brain to handle. To be honest, without my friend or the internet, I likely would have only fnished  these quests by accident if at all.

With the exception I mentioned the characters tell you where to go every step of the way. Well the Cucco Lady just says her brother is really lonely, so it's a bit cryptic as to who that is,  but the really miserable guy is the only real candidate among the cast. Beyond that the character tells you exactly who to see and where they are. He tells you to give the mushrooms to the old lady in the potion shop in Karkariko, she tells you to give it back to him but Fado is there instead. She gives you the poacher's saw (the one exception). Mutoh gives you the Biggroon sword coupon, Biggoron tells you he needs medicine from King Zora. King Zora says he needs the guy at the lake to make the medicine so you bring it there and then back to Biggoron. One step is esoteric, but beyond that the game is pretty handholdy about who you're giving what to. Half of them are even timed so you definitely need to know exactly who you're giving it to. They even highlight the text of the character you need to give it to in a different colour.

Edited by Jotari

Final Fantasy 6, as a remake.

FE 6-7 or 4-5.

Kirby Air Ride.

The might be a few more, but I can't think of any others right now.

Shining force 2 is my biggest want for a remake. 

Shining force 3 is another I want simply for the fact the west never got the full game.

Also wouldn't mind something like bahamut lagoon to be remade.

Honestly I'd love a complete overhaul of Metroid: Other M. Like a Lunar: Silver Star Saga level of remake with some story edits and the full shebang. Because that game had a tonne of issues, but it wasn't entirely lacking in potential either.

Crystalis is a game that I find criminally underrated, and I would love for SNK to hire a small studio to produce a remake of the game. Really all it needs is some rebalancing and Quality of Life updates in terms of gameplay. The story is just going to have to compromise between the NES and GB ports. Post apocalyptic settings have really caught on in the 21st century, so I'm very curious how they may update the themes and visuals especially. Normally just having the original game available for Switch is enough, but seeing the sales figures of a 60$ remaster of Link's Awakening shows me that people are receptive to games that look and play like that. I also just think the game deserves that sort of attention. It's one of the best games of its era and likely served as a chief inspiration for the seiken densetsu franchise. If Trials of Mana can come back, why not Crystalis?

Dino Crisis and Parasite Eve have little in common, besides relentless comparisons to Resident Evil games of their time period. And both franchises changed dramatically with each entry before fading into obscurity. Even their original entries struggled to really define themselves, in my opinion, so I think a remake is far more warranted than a sequel. Dino Crisis has a real opportunity, due to Capcom's recent projects. I definitely don't want Capcom to spend most of their Golden Age just making remakes - even if said remakes feel fresher than actually new games, but if they could just put some non essential/junior staff to work on a Dino Crisis remake using that RE engine, it would probably be excellent and revitalize the franchise. I also just think that a game that isn't so explicitly about horror would reach a broader audience than Resident Evil. A lot of people I've talked to admit that RE's level design and mechanics make for a very unique gameplay experience, yet they can only watch somebody else stream such a scary game. Dinosaurs are less scary. Parasite Eve I'm less expectant of. I don't think Square has acknowledged the franchise's existence in the last decade, and it almost feels like they're reluctant to sign off on any project unless Nomura is willing to direct or they could sell it on mobile with microtransactions.

Edited by Glennstavos

5 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

A lot of people I've talked to admit that RE's level design and mechanics make for a very unique gameplay experience, yet they can only watch somebody else stream such a scary game.

Funny, I'm playing Resident Evil for the first time right now. I'm slightly bemused to discover that it's basically a 3D point and click adventure game. While we're on the subject of horror games, Eternal Darkness was a pretty decent game that's been left dead in the water franchisewise. A remake to remind people it exists could go down well.

Edited by Jotari

30 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Funny, I'm playing Resident Evil for the first time right now. I'm slightly bemused to discover that it's basically a 3D point and click adventure game. 

I suppose that's fair for an initial reaction. The beauty of these games, especially going back to the classic series, is that resource management. Deciding which rooms are worth securing by killing the enemies, or whether a zombie dodge is worth the risk. Every enemy poses its own puzzle with numerous solutions. In most games, the decision to fight or run from an enemy either carries no impact (since they won't be returning to that screen, or the enemies just respawn when they do) or the player is forced to do one or the other by the level designer. And on that repeat playthrough inventory management really shines as you map out which objectives to tackle first, what can you pick up along the way, and how little resources you can get away with picking up/using. That extra layer of optimization is something that really resonates with some players, and I think can fit well in a game that isn't even in a horror-based genre.

Edited by Glennstavos

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I suppose that's fair for an initial reaction. The beauty of these games, especially going back to the classic series, is that resource management. Deciding which rooms are worth securing by killing the enemies, or whether a zombie dodge is worth the risk. Every enemy poses its own puzzle with numerous solutions. In most games, the decision to fight or run from an enemy either carries no impact (since they won't be returning to that screen, or the enemies just respawn when they do) or the player is forced to do one or the other by the level designer. And on that repeat playthrough inventory management really shines as you map out which objectives to tackle first, what can you pick up along the way, and how little resources you can get away with picking up/using. That extra layer of optimization is something that really resonates with some players, and I think can fit well in a game that isn't even in a horror-based genre.

Yes, that is an element too I'm finding. Though I really wish there was like a swap option when finding a new item and I'm really surprised the remake didn't add it. Having an empty gun and then finding a gun clip you can't actually use due to a full inventory is rather annoying. Though the world seems small enough that you can run across it easy enough with a bit of experience. The limited saves is also something of particular interest as the game is more about acquiring knowledge of the area and puzzles than making actual process. So even if you lose a hour or so of actual progress, you can recoup that much more quickly on the next attempt by knowing where everything is and where you have to go. But this is all getting rather off topic. I get what you mean in regards to remakes and this genre in general. Parasite Eve in particular I'd quite like to play as I've heard it's really good and I've actually seen the original movie the game was a sequel to.

I have thought of a few more.

Zoids battle legends: I loved this game and really wish for a remake with today’s customization options, this would be a crazy game if done right.

Custom Robo(gamecube): See point above.

Tenchu: any really, mostly Wraith of Heaven thou...

Yu-Gi-Oh Faslebound Kingdom: One of my favorite GameCube games behind FE and HM

On 3/25/2020 at 2:38 AM, Emperor Hardin said:

I have to admit, I love the thief's design in your avatar.

Thank you Slade is one of my favorite characters in Shining force 2. 

Another game I wouldn't mind getting a remake would be Legend of the dragoon or at the very least an HD remaster.

3 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It already has a remake, on the 3DS.

On the subject of Zelda it slightly baffles me they never made a remake of the original game for the NES. A Zero Mission style remake of Zelda for the NES would be pretty easy to make and would absolutely sell. Especially with Breath of the Wild making that style of Zelda more popular more recently. Seems like it was the more obvious choice than Link's Awakening. Of course Zelda II is the Zelda game I'd like to see remade the most. I absolutely love that game and it disheartens me that so many people dismiss it based on it's difficulty and obtuseness.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

On the subject of Zelda it slightly baffles me they never made a remake of the original game for the NES. A Zero Mission style remake of Zelda for the NES would be pretty easy to make and would absolutely sell. Especially with Breath of the Wild making that style of Zelda more popular more recently. Seems like it was the more obvious choice than Link's Awakening. Of course Zelda II is the Zelda game I'd like to see remade the most. I absolutely love that game and it disheartens me that so many people dismiss it based on it's difficulty and obtuseness.

Yeah the NES Zeldas never getting proper remakes is pretty odd.  I imagine they could even remake both and sell it as a two in one deal in an effort to make it more enticing since they're pretty old games, or something...  Zelda is like, the one big name franchise I can think of that never remade its oldest games.

People think the original two Zeldas are too hard. And people definitely seem to like to forget about Zelda II in particular. From what I've seen, anyway. And I'm certainly not interested in those being remade. They do indeed look very difficult. And I'm not sure they could tone the difficulty down much.