Which games would you like to see a remake or remaster of?

ciphertul

30 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

People think the original two Zeldas are too hard. And people definitely seem to like to forget about Zelda II in particular. From what I've seen, anyway. And I'm certainly not interested in those being remade. They do indeed look very difficult. And I'm not sure they could tone the difficulty down much.

One of the main complaints I've seen about Zelda I at least was the controls.  Something that would most definitely would be fixed in a remake.

As far as lack of direction goes, they can just add the Shiekah Stone hints like MM/OoT's 3DS remakes had.  

Edit: Also, a remake would probably update the translation.  A lot of things that were cryptic in English made more sense in Japanese iirc since Japanese takes less characters to write out the same thought.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

One of the main complaints I've seen about Zelda I at least was the controls.  Something that would most definitely would be fixed in a remake.

As far as lack of direction goes, they can just add the Shiekah Stone hints like MM/OoT's 3DS remakes had.  

Edit: Also, a remake would probably update the translation.  A lot of things that were cryptic in English made more sense in Japanese iirc since Japanese takes less characters to write out the same thought.

It's possible. But I'd have to see it to believe it on the difficulty front.

11 hours ago, Anacybele said:

People think the original two Zeldas are too hard. And people definitely seem to like to forget about Zelda II in particular. From what I've seen, anyway. And I'm certainly not interested in those being remade. They do indeed look very difficult. And I'm not sure they could tone the difficulty down much.

Simply having a rupee system that grants access to potions that you can buy would reduce Zelda II's difficulty by a tonne.

Okay, I do want an FE6 remake more than anything, but…hypothetically, what if the original FE3 on SNES got the Echoes treatment? As in, having books 1 and 2 both playable on the same cartridge, and with added layers of depth?

On 3/29/2020 at 12:18 AM, Perkilator said:

Okay, I do want an FE6 remake more than anything, but…hypothetically, what if the original FE3 on SNES got the Echoes treatment? As in, having books 1 and 2 both playable on the same cartridge, and with added layers of depth?

Then they better give more context to Pyrathi!

obviously Fire Emblem games that were not localized for western release (all of them!) but apart from that with the recent FFVIIR and Trails of Mana remakes on the horizon I'm thinking a lot about the treasure trove of old games that Square Enix are sitting on:

- Final Fantasy V: one of my favorite FF entries. Love the job system, would love a modern take on it or a remaster in the vein of the recent Romaning SaGa 3 release

- Parasite Eve: a full-blown remake like Capcom's PS1 Resident Evil games would be a perfect revival

- Bushido Blade: a most unique fighting game, where one hit can decide about victory or defeat. Mechanically it still holds up today, so only a graphical update would be needed

- Front Mission: localize the 5th numbered entry and release a remastered collection on everything. Pretty please?

- Legacy of Kain: as mentioned by previous posters, just bring it back already. 

Probably The Settlers IV.

Update the enemy AI and make it actually capable of adapting to the map, instead of just handing it everything it needs to beat my ass. Make starting positions a tad more fair. I don´t see the point of starting somewhere, where i lack critical ressources and have to expand my territory to some obscure location to gain access to a bunch of stuff lying around to even be able to withstand the first attack, much less win the game. It would also be cool if alliances could be changed before starting a map. Having several enemies with better starts than me is… difficult.

Trials of Mana is already getting a remake. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is already getting a remaster. Yggdra Union just got a remaster-thing-or-another. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening already got a remake last year. Valkyria Chronicles already got a remaster... Hm...

Golden Sun (GBA) and its sequels. Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age were my favorite RPGs on the Game Boy Advance, and I haven't played Dark Dawn due to being a poor college student during the lifespan of the DS.

Lost Kingdoms and Lost Kingdoms II (GCN). I never played the second game, but I really liked the first game. A remaster with updated models would probably be sufficient, mostly just to fix Katia's face.

Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA, PSP). Sting's Yggdra Union was just released on the Switch in Japan a month ago (and on Android and iOS not too long before that), so I'd love to see Riviera also get a new release. As long as it doesn't get the TMS#FE Encore treatment, that is. ...Though now I have to wonder if Yggdra Union's latest versions use the censored CG or not.

Pokémon Snap (N64). Because yes.

The minigames from Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2 (N64). Just the minigames. They were so fun.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 (PSP). Both were only released on the PSP and 3 was released only in Japan. Since we got the first game remastered, I'd love to see the next two follow on a system that I actually have.

Fire Emblem: Binding BladeBlazing Sword, and The Sacred Stones (GBA). I miss the simplicity of the GBA games' mechanics. Binding Blade could probably use some update to bring it up to the level of its successors, but Blazing Sword and The Sacred Stones could probably be rereleased with minimal changes and be fine. But please unnerf the super trainee classes.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN) and Radiant Dawn (Wii). My favorite games in the series both for having extremely clean game mechanics and having a memorable cast of characters without all of the unnecessary complexity they added in more recent games.

EDIT: Not sure how I forgot this one.

Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast, GCN). Because you can't ever have Drachma leave your party too many times. On the one hand, I would love to see this game with its graphics fully updated to modern standards. On the other hand, some of the cartoonier characters might take issue with that. But it would really be nice to see the game fully or mostly voiced. Having the main characters cameo in Valkyria Chronicles is too much of a tease.

Edited by Ice Dragon

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Trials of Mana is already getting a remake. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles is already getting a remaster. Yggdra Union just got a remaster-thing-or-another. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening already got a remake last year. Valkyria Chronicles already got a remaster... Hm...

Is it? Because I've been waiting like two god damn years for that rerelease and it's still nowhere to be seen. Don't know why they announced something as if it was around the corner when it was so far from completion. And I don't know why it'd take them so long to remake a twenty year old game. Sometimes it feels like they plumb forgot about it. Sorry, I'm quite salty. I really liked Crystal Chronicles back on the gamecube but never managed to play it despite numerous attempts because the save data kept getting corrupted and formatting my memory card.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

And I don't know why it'd take them so long to remake a twenty year old game.

Cross-platform online co-op across 4 platforms is probably not trivial to implement in a 20-year-old game that originally only had co-op by connecting Game Boy Advances to a Gamecube. And I don't suppose the pandemic is helping.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Cross-platform online co-op across 4 platforms is probably not trivial to implement in a 20-year-old game that originally only had co-op by connecting Game Boy Advances to a Gamecube. And I don't suppose the pandemic is helping.

No, but I was irked by how long it was taking to get this game even before the pandemic.

I think Rogue Galaxy would be a good RPG to be remade. I think all it needs are better graphics (which were great for its time) and polish, since story and gameplay-wise it wouldn't be so far from other RPGs.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, Ice Dragon said:

As long as it doesn't get the TMS#FE Encore treatment, that is. ...Though now I have to wonder if Yggdra Union's latest versions use the censored CG or not.

Considering the second Hot Springs CG featured a very much underaged girl in the center of the image with a generous sideshot of them, I think it's perfectly reasonable to tone it down. If it was Syrene or Cierra, it'd be still very pervy, but acceptable, a little girl is pushing it too far I'd say though. The rest of the second CG and the first? Well, it's next to impossible for them to not be pervy, but they don't sit on legal boundaries so much, well Lina kinda does, but not so blatantly (though I heard she might be older than Fia).

On 4/1/2020 at 4:03 PM, Ice Dragon said:

and I haven't played Dark Dawn due to being a poor college student during the lifespan of the DS.

Good, it does not deserve to be played. 😄 The game in no way improves on the original duology, and continues to have and possibly even worsens some of the problems of the first two games in narrative and gameplay. 😡 It set up a cliffhanger at the end begging for a sequel, but because it was so bad, it killed the series instead.😭

And if you ask why I'm using emojis, it because Matthew the clone son of Issac and Jenna is a silent protagonist who speaks only through four stupid smiley faces.😜 The only good thing to come of Dark Dawn was Sveta, thats it.

So I watched the Castlevannia anime a few weeks back and it's prompted me to get the Castlevannia classic collection. It's a series I've had a little bit of exposure in but haven't gone full dive into. Anyway I'm playing Castlevannia II: Simon's Quest right now and I find it remarkably similar to The Adventure of Link. Actually it's almost the exact same game on several conceptual levels (which as I've mentioned before, major plus for me). I do find that it doesn't work quite as well as Zelda II due to the way they decided to put the world map so to speak on the same plane as the general gameplay. This makes for more engaging gameplay in a way, but it makes things much more difficult to navigate. It also has its fair dosage of secrets being far too esoteric to figure out (I'm using a world map on my computer that shows where to get everything, really they could have had the Sacred Flame out in the open, that would have been a great way of teaching the player to use Holy Water to destroy bricks but instead they require you to solve the secret twice by attacking everything like a mad man. And then there's the infamous tornado dungeon I haven't gotten to yet).

A remake, mainly just having access to a world map and perhaps some more plot could go down really cool. The game also has a day night cycle which, for the NES, was really cool and even now a days it's not something I can recall seeing much if anything of in 2D games. It went the extra mile, but as often, doing this can sometimes mean overambition leads to things not ageing well. Anyway that's one more 

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Anyway I'm playing Castlevannia II: Simon's Quest right now and I find it remarkably similar to The Adventure of Link. Actually it's almost the exact same game on several conceptual levels (which as I've mentioned before, major plus for me). I do find that it doesn't work quite as well as Zelda II due to the way they decided to put the world map so to speak on the same plane as the general gameplay.

Funny enough, back in the day, there was a particular ad for a store and the various NES games it was selling in Marvel Comics. Inexplicably the screenshots for Simon's Quest and Adventure of Link got switched in the advertisement. I've always wondered how many people noticed that, myself aside, given the screenshots were of low quality (possibly taken by camera). Seeing comparisons between the two always brings me back to it.

20 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Funny enough, back in the day, there was a particular ad for a store and the various NES games it was selling in Marvel Comics. Inexplicably the screenshots for Simon's Quest and Adventure of Link got switched in the advertisement. I've always wondered how many people noticed that, myself aside, given the screenshots were of low quality (possibly taken by camera). Seeing comparisons between the two always brings me back to it.

Just while it's here, I'll list the relevant similarities

Both sequels to 1986 games,

released in 1987

with a title consisting of Adventure/Quest + protagonists name.

Both opted for (primitive) open world game design.

Including villages which involve side quests that help leading to dungeons.

And introduced a leveling system. 

Both also contain a plot where minions of the previous big bad wish to resurrect him using the protagonist as a sacrifice.

It's probably mostly coincidence, but it is rather striking. Even the font seems similar. Though maybe there was some direct inspiration going on. Simon's quest was released nine months after Zelda II and back then you could make a full game as fast as it takes to gestate a baby.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good, it does not deserve to be played. 😄 The game in no way improves on the original duology, and continues to have and possibly even worsens some of the problems of the first two games in narrative and gameplay. 😡 It set up a cliffhanger at the end begging for a sequel, but because it was so bad, it killed the series instead.😭

Honestly, nothing is stopping Camelot from trying again, unless they went bankrupt or something. While I don't like Golden Sun's story and characters' writing much, I loved everything else about it back in the day. It could have its place in the 3DS (or Switch, since the 3DS is dying/dead(???)). Just do a reboot, or maybe even start another story set in the same universe.

Oh, yeah. Since this isn't the old topic, I can repost my wishes for remakes:

- Mega Man: It deserves remakes in the same form as the Powered Up ones, if not better. I absolutely loved Powered Up and it's a shame it didn't sell well.

- Mega Man X: Same as above. Maverick Hunter X was good, even if it was more of an appeal to old fans. X2-X6 deserve remakes in the same form.

- Digimon World 3: Do it, you cowards

- Lufia: A long time ago, when I was without internet for months, I had the opportunity to give the first SNES game a chance and I really enjoyed it, although it got old and there are many frustrating things both gameplay and narrative-wise with it. The DS remake of Lufia 2 flopped because it tried to be a bootleg Ys. I think it deserves a chance (and in the case of Lufia 2, which was the most interesting one gameplay-wise, another chance).

- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: I'm thinking more of a release with better graphics and better voice acting than anything else. The original SOTN is perfectly fine as it is, though. Aria of Sorrow is another option.

- Trails in the Sky FC, SC & 3rd: Or at least just FC. The major problem I see with the Trails series is how its first games are not very accessible to mainly console players. Cold Steel has much more visibility in every platform it is, while Sky is more for niche PC players and people who own a PSVita (do they exist??). I think they deserve a fresh look, especially with Zero and Ao (the Crossbell duology games) being remade for the PS4 now.

- Golden Sun: It'd be a nightmare of a project, I think, but it's a good RPG that could get more visibility and possibly enough interest for sequels (be they direct continuations or simply stories set in the same universe).

- Fire Emblem 4: ... Yeah. We've beaten this dead horse a lot already. I really think it'd still be a good game.

- Fire Emblem 6: It's so close to modern FE that its system wouldn't feel that out of place. There's also 7 and 8, which have similar systems and classes.

- Yggdra Union: Or, well, just improve upon the PSP remake or rerelease it for new platforms that isn't just Switch. It's good enough as it is. Also, stop being cowards and localize the other games!

- Summon Night 2: Swordcraft Story: I loved this game back then, and I think it deserves another chance.

Edited by Rapier

It doesn't necessarily need it, but Super Metroid. Really, just keep the mechanics and stuff the same, and just give it a graphical overhaul and remaster the music.

And maybe, throw in a randomizer setup as well. Maybe even a boss rush, or even a mechanical setting for people who are used to the snappier mechanics of Fusion/Zero Mission.

9 hours ago, Dai said:

It doesn't necessarily need it, but Super Metroid. Really, just keep the mechanics and stuff the same, and just give it a graphical overhaul and remaster the music.

And maybe, throw in a randomizer setup as well. Maybe even a boss rush, or even a mechanical setting for people who are used to the snappier mechanics of Fusion/Zero Mission.

The controls in Super Metroid are a bit clunky so a remake wouldn't be completely unwarranted. Would much more prefer to see original content from Metroid though (I know they're making Metroid Prime 4, but that's a case of I'll believe it when I see it with its recent development problems).

In another Metroid remake vein, let me pay for AM2R, Nintendo. Be cool about it. You're Metroid Remake was fine, that Metroid Remake was great too, they can coexist. They do coexist. Let them coexist and make profit off them.

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

The controls in Super Metroid are a bit clunky so a remake wouldn't be completely unwarranted.

Exactly! Super Metroid is probably the better game and, surely, the more relevant one, but Zero Mission is so much more easier to control. God, it is painful to go back.

18 hours ago, Rapier said:

Honestly, nothing is stopping Camelot from trying again, unless they went bankrupt or something. While I don't like Golden Sun's story and characters' writing much, I loved everything else about it back in the day. It could have its place in the 3DS (or Switch, since the 3DS is dying/dead(???)). Just do a reboot, or maybe even start another story set in the same universe.

They've been exclusively doing Mario sports spin-offs (Mario Tennis Aces most recently) since Dark Dawn... so they kind of got Rare-wared. Except in a way where people actually play their games... unlike the kinect stuff.

38 minutes ago, starburst said:

Exactly! Super Metroid is probably the better game and, surely, the more relevant one, but Zero Mission is so much more easier to control. God, it is painful to go back.

I've never had a problem with Super Metroid's controls. It can't even be said that's nostalgia bias taking. My first Metroid was Fusion, then Prime (both of which I bought for $5 second hand), a brief, but very unfinished joust with the original (that I would ultimately play through properly on NES Mini to avoid the password system), Return of Samus, Prime 3, and then Super Metroid. (To finish the series it was, Other M next, then Hunters, followed by Metroid Prime 2 and finally, after years of looking, Zero Mission. Followed of course by the Return of Samus remake and a revisit to the original to truly finish it). If I were to complain something needed updating, it'd be some of the graphics (Kraid looks so much better in Zero mission it's not funny), possibly the X-ray visor (make it a pulse like the Return of Samus remake), general small quality of life changes.

Also, for original ideas not mentioned in this thread, I've had another couple.
Wario Land for Virtual Boy, and Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X. Both games are marked by being on failed consoles, and consequently not many people have played them. Considering these are both games people might actually buy if they were re-released on a more commercially successful console, it'd be a chance to recoup some losses, albeit many years after the fact. Besides, so many people haven't had the chance to play either... myself included. It just makes sense.

4 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

They've been exclusively doing Mario sports spin-offs (Mario Tennis Aces most recently) since Dark Dawn... so they kind of got Rare-wared. Except in a way where people actually play their games... unlike the kinect stuff.

I've never had a problem with Super Metroid's controls. It can't even be said that's nostalgia bias taking. My first Metroid was Fusion, then Prime (both of which I bought for $5 second hand), a brief, but very unfinished joust with the original (that I would ultimately play through properly on NES Mini to avoid the password system), Return of Samus, Prime 3, and then Super Metroid. (To finish the series it was, Other M next, then Hunters, followed by Metroid Prime 2 and finally, after years of looking, Zero Mission. Followed of course by the Return of Samus remake and a revisit to the original to truly finish it). If I were to complain something needed updating, it'd be some of the graphics (Kraid looks so much better in Zero mission it's not funny), possibly the X-ray visor (make it a pulse like the Return of Samus remake), general small quality of life changes.

Also, for original ideas not mentioned in this thread, I've had another couple.
Wario Land for Virtual Boy, and Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X. Both games are marked by being on failed consoles, and consequently not many people have played them. Considering these are both games people might actually buy if they were re-released on a more commercially successful console, it'd be a chance to recoup some losses, albeit many years after the fact. Besides, so many people haven't had the chance to play either... myself included. It just makes sense.

Bit clunky. Not the worst controls in the world by any conceivable measure, just not as good as Fusion and Zero Mission.