What is your Basic Bitch Fire Emblem Opinion?

My popular, milquetoast basic bitch opinions?

Garon is a terrible character who is so abysmall he drags at least half of the cast down with him. 

Hector is an all around great unit, great character and great guy.

The Morgans are precious and must be protected

Arvis is a great villain

The gameplay of Fates is great. The story of Fates absolutely isn't great. 

Ashe is a good boy. 

Fire Emblem is a pretty good series. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rutger is a really good boss-killer.
  • Sacred is really easy.
  • They should have developed the Dawn Brigade more.
  • Thracia fog of war is super annoying.

And most importantly.

I really like Fire Emblem.

Could list some things about unit performance most people agree on but that would be to easy and kinda boring so I keep it at one.

Fates' story is pretty terrible.

Fire Emblem has never been all that good at character balancing.

Sophia and Wendy are the worst units in FE6

Having a horse > lacking a horse, unless you're Fiona I guess.

Haha, finally a thread for me and my generic tastes!

Three Houses animations are a bit disappointing. After the really sick skill proc animations of Tellius and 3DS (looking at you, Lethality), Three Houses just feels a bit flat and generic. This is especially sad for the crest-locked weapon arts, which pretty much recycle crit animations. Stuff like Ruptured Heaven, Fallen Star, Atrocity, Raging Storm, and Beast Fang really deserved the same kind of skill activation cutscene as Scendscale and Ragnarok Omega from Echoes.

Nanna is really cool. She's a fantastic unit in FE4 due to minor Hezul and great class, and she's among the best combat units in FE5 when given Wrath. Character-wise she grows from being timid and demure to an assertive, strong woman. She's absolutely adorable with Leif, and all-in-all she's one of my favorite Jugdral characters.

Cats deserved better in Radiant Dawn.

Fire Emblem 3's Dragonstone system was super cool, and it would be great to see variable boosts come back.

Swordmasters are super fun even if they're not great, and the bad ones can sometimes be an absolute joy to train up into monsters (looking at you, Mareeta).

Wyverns are dope. Not only are they often absolutely broken (Caeda/Palla/Catria after promo, Deen, Miledy, Jill, Haar, Camilla, everyone in FE3H), but they often (not always, ex:Camilla) have pretty cool character arcs and look really cool. It's a person in red or black armor riding a dragon into battle. That's sick. 

Rout maps are usually super boring. Same with defense maps. 

I'm pretty sick of the power of friendship. Binding Blade, Blazing Blade, Awakening, Fates, and Three Houses can be really annoying at points because of how often they fall back on the story/character trope of "We must succeed morally in every way, and follow our hearts to make decisions. Pragmatism is more-often-than-not a bad thing, because it prompts inaction, which is bad. Family is the most important thing. Go team!" Part of why I love Thracia's story is the fact that reckless idealism often gets punished with failure, and the reality of the war is much uglier and more complex.

Echoes was really good as a remake, it was lovingly made and should be a template for all future remakes, but no amount of polish could totally save Gaiden.

Buyable boots are epic and are part of why Binding Blade's lategame is one of my favorite in the series. We need buyable boots to come back.

Edited by Harb1ng3r
BOOTS

Lethe is a really underrated unit in PoR.

Eliwood is a horrible unit.

Seize maps are good.

Removing the weapon triangle still makes things harder for the player and not the enemy.

Pegasus knights are typically among the best units in their respective games.

Let's see if any of these are actually "common":

• Shadow Dragons overall plot is okay, but it has the best moment-to-moment writing in the series.
  • Shadow Dragon also has the best implementation of permadeath in the series.
  • Lyn's mode is GREAT if you're a first time player and PAINFUL if you already know what you're doing.
    • Despite this, the storytelling aspect of the tutorial is actually really well done.
  • Nearly all of Conquests maps and gimmicks were well designed, they just weren't always fun.
    • That said, not being able to save on the final map was frustratingly stupid.
  • Kotaro has the best boss conversations in Fates.
  • Echoes has the best combat animations in the series (or at least the 3DS games).
  • The setting, dialogue, voice acting, and overall presentation of SoV is amazing, but the story itself is heavily flawed.
  • Narrative VS Character is one of the biggest issues of SoV's plot.
  • Awakening characters aren't one note, though it takes unlocking several supports to round them out.
  • Awakenings freedom in letting you play however you want is one of its biggest strengths.
  • Newly recruited characters adding something new to the barracks was a small but cute detail.
  • Byleths lack of customizability is one of their greatest weaknesses, even if it is for understandable reasons.
  • While not necessarily a bad looking game, Three Houses has several hiccups in the presentation, animations, and overall visuals.
  • While well-done overall, several of Three Houses supports could last longer than they needed to.
  • The turnwheel/divine pulse isn't a bad mechanic; the total number of uses just needs to be reduced.
  • Don't mind them, but there should be less lords that use swords.

5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

• Shadow Dragon also has the best implementation of permadeath in the series.
  • Lyn's mode is PAINFUL if you already know what you're doing.

These two are ones I'd disagree with, HEAVILY with the Shadow Dragon permadeath. That's honestly one of its absolute worst things, in my opinion.

I get the philosophy behind Shadow Dragon's permadeath, but its execution is TERRIBLE.

Oh hey, you get replacement units if too many die! Oh, they're actual fully fledged characters that you won't ever get access to if you play too well or don't deliberately kill off your other characters.

Edited by Slumber

I like Ike (which i guess isn't completely uncontroversial), but as a character, he's not as good in Radiant Dawn as he was in Path of Radiance.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:31 AM, forsettipatty said:

Lethe is a really underrated unit in PoR.

If she's "underrated", then this is a controversial opinion. 😉

All right, this ain't my forte, but I'll give it a whirl.

Roy is a crap lord. Like, seriously crap. How did so many people think Leif was worse than him for so many years, again? Leif is just plain better in every aspect. Story, gameplay, design, advisors, everything! Roy's a decent-ish character if you look into his supports, but as a unit? Bleh. And I'll never forgive him for having Merlinus as his advisor.

FE8 has great villains. I've seen some heavy hatred for FE8's story (then again, that goes for pretty much all of FE at one point or another), but few bash the villains. Probably because they're doublessly the best part about FE8. Ephraim!Lyon's my favourite villain.

Wrys and Ronan are fun memes, 10/10 use every time, and you'll be very glad you did.

Edelgard and Dimitri are pretty great characters both.

Random crits Ambush reinforcements are not fair and balanced.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:35 PM, Bhoop said:

--Fire Emblem as a franchise is pretty good

Oooo now that's a hot take. I think you're a bit lost, man. This should be on the "unpopular opinions" thread. I cannot think of a single FE fan that thinks this. Not even myself, I've only played half the series, and I dislike half of those games!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

19 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

These two are ones I'd disagree with

Perhaps I should have specified Lyn normal mode. The tutorial is excellent for a newcomer, explaining every mechanic and how it works, often weaving it into the story, and leaving few unanswered questions. Heck, I'd actually say it is a lot better than how some of later games throw the player into the thick of it and give tutorial blurbs every so often, while the earlier games for better or worse relied on a manual to provide this information.

On the flip side, however, if you already know what you're doing, this part of the game is a slog. There's a lot of handholding that isn't quick to skip through, it outright forces some of your moves at points, and while the simple levels are nice for a player starting out, they don't offer much challenge to an experienced one.

19 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

These two are ones I'd disagree with, HEAVILY with the Shadow Dragon permadeath. That's honestly one of its absolute worst things, in my opinion.

19 hours ago, Slumber said:

I get the philosophy behind Shadow Dragon's permadeath, but its execution is TERRIBLE.

Oh hey, you get replacement units if too many die! Oh, they're actual fully fledged characters that you won't ever get access to if you play too well or don't deliberately kill off your other characters.

Oh, I'm not talking about Shadow Dragons infamous Gaiden mechanic. I actually don't mind the idea behind it, but they seriously bungled the execution.

Rather, I'd say the game is extremely good at making sure you have more than one of each type of class, so that if one unit falls, another can fulfill a similar role. If you loose Julian, Rickard can still open doors without a key. You might miss out on hammerne if Lena dies, but Wendell, Wrys, and Maria can still heal your units. On the flip side, you might use Matthias or Vyland during a risky scenario and don't want to potentially loose Cain or Abel. Reclassing just helps this further, as you can switch your fighters to knights or make one of her archers a healer if you think the situation calls for it. Simply put, you are never doomed if you loose units in Shadow Dragon, as another one can take their place. It's not handled flawlessly (Caeda recruits a handful of characters, so good luck if you loose her early, Bantu lets you avoid a tough boss and grants you an excellent unit, which again you loose if he dies, and the gaiden mechanic requirement is extremely low, to the point even a bad run has a good chance of missing them), but off all the Fire Emblem games, it has the fewest issues regarding the implementation of its signature permadeath.

• The roster of Warriors is very poor.
  • Illia is a better route in FE6 than Sacae from a design standpoint. 
  • Echoes has some of the nicest character designs of the series. 
  • Saint Rubenio's lets plays are really good
  • The only song in fire emblem that has not aged well is Lost in thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Edelgard and Dimitri are pretty great characters both.

I disagree on Dimitri because of his PostTS(D) but this isn't the place for it.

3 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Perhaps I should have specified Lyn normal mode.

I still don't agree.

2 hours ago, Pengaius said:
  • The only song in fire emblem that has not aged well is Lost in thoughts. 

I think I disagree with this as well, I think the song has aged fine.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oooo now that's a hot take. I think you're a bit lost, man. This should be on the "unpopular opinions" thread. I cannot think of a single FE fan that thinks this. Not even myself, I've only played half the series, and I dislike half of those games!

mmm. If it was a bad franchise, pretty sure we still wouldn't be getting games. Franchise would've died after awakening if the franchise wasn't at least decently good. But to each their own. 

1 hour ago, Bhoop said:

mmm. If it was a bad franchise, pretty sure we still wouldn't be getting games. Franchise would've died after awakening if the franchise wasn't at least decently good. But to each their own. 

It's like they say, man. No one hates Fire Emblem more than Fire Emblem fans.

When you open a chest and get a promotion item- that's a good feeling.

Clearing a map known for being annoying and hard in one try without savestating is another feeling altogether.