Berwick Saga Decision Paralysis

Tonac

This game is really damn good but my is it hard to decide on who to deploy due to all the requirements for mercenaries (I want them all!). My only strategy has been to feed kills to Ruby to recruit Clifford (Ruby is pretty trash). I am only on chapter 3 but I have benched Leon, Adel, Christine, Faye, Kramer, Derrick, Sylvis and I only use Axel on maps the game tells you to use him in. How do you decide who to use and is it possible to recruit everyone? I find the level requirements to be really hard to achieve and my Reese is still level 1 lol also shout out to Dean and Volo for being OP but damn are they breaking my bank.

Experience is skewed in a certain way where early on you get very little exp but as the game goes on you get more and more. I assume this was done so you could try out a wide vareity of units early without "wasting" much on them. Overall you shouldn't worry about lack of exp early on.

As for who to use it's up to your own personal preference. You can recruit everyone but you'd have to swap people in and out to fulfill certain units requirements. Each unit has there own roles to fulfill so you might find different units to be better on certain maps. For instance Kramer would be good on maps with rougher terrain and cliffs, or when there's lots of archers. Certain units will make certain maps easier but at the end of the day you could use anyone you want and get through the game just fine.

The tldr is just do whatever you want to do you won't be punished or anything for using units over others and you get plenty of pre-promotes to carry you through harder maps if you need them.

Some of the hardest units to recruit are Sylvis and Volo, so try and use them for main missions (1.5 happiness). In the meantime, use Faye or Kramer, and Ruby during sidequests as they're often easier than the main missions.

The others that require happiness but no level requirements (e.g. Axel, Derrick, Esteban, etc) can just be hired after main missions for half the price. You don't even need to deploy them (their associated side missions should be enough). Except Thaddy, you should always recruit at the start for him.

Owen is a great healer for escape missions, as he can teleport off the map at a moment's command. Bringing him to escape missions only will give you enough happiness.

Also research who likes what food and buy it for Volo or Sylvis, or whoever needs more happiness when it's available. You don't need A rank foods, C rank and a liked food is .5 happiness already.

Czene and healer can capture units for easier levels. (Blizzard/bolt knife/Flourish and then Mercy work really well to cripple).

I'm at chapter 8 and I've recruited Volo, Faye and Ruby already, with Sylvis not far off and Kramer and Arthur really soon. Derrick, Thaddy and Owen will be pretty close as well.

Levels come a lot easier later as the enemy levels start increasing and your main cast develop, meaning your mainstays can damage the enemy enough for you weaker units to finish.

The problem with trying to recruit everyone is that most units get benched once permanently recruited so you can work on others.

Edited by dark_knight17
Spelling errors/extra details

• 2 weeks later...