Tips for blind Genealogy playthrough?

IH520

I hear great things about this game. i've stayed spoiler free and with all the extra time on my hands i want to finally get into the game. any tips would be greatly appreciated. if it matters, ive only beat FE7 ,8, 13, 14, 15, and 16

You have been blind on FE4 spoilers!? OMG I thought you people didn't exist! I wish I could have been the same...

Well uh... I dunno what you consider a spoiler, but there are secrets in the game which is fine if you don't find them. I hope nobody else spoils that for you.

Ok here they are: After conquering a castle check the conversation menu to see who can talk with who, these convos usually have nice rewards or the talking and exposition is the reward itself I guess.

Also something to help you out, your lord is very good and he is usually your best boss-killer so let him kill a lot of bosses and let him keep the rewards of doing so (unless it's stuff he can't use I guess) you can give them to someone else but I would advise against it.

You can actually pair-up some of your dudes together, they have to stand right next to each other though for a long time but it's pretty worth it and you can always check in the augury or something in the castle village and see how close some people are to falling in love.

Doubling in this game is different, your AS>Enemy's AS but you must also have the pursuit skill to double, seems like a death sentence to certain units but in FE4 there's lots of ways to have good combat rather than just double and kill.

I hope you don't consider any of those spoilers, and have fun!

22 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

You have been blind on FE4 spoilers!? OMG I thought you people didn't exist! I wish I could have been the same...

Well uh... I dunno what you consider a spoiler, but there are secrets in the game which is fine if you don't find them. I hope nobody else spoils that for you.

Ok here they are: After conquering a castle check the conversation menu to see who can talk with who, these convos usually have nice rewards or the talking and exposition is the reward itself I guess.

Also something to help you out, your lord is very good and he is usually your best boss-killer so let him kill a lot of bosses and let him keep the rewards of doing so (unless it's stuff he can't use I guess) you can give them to someone else but I would advise against it.

You can actually pair-up some of your dudes together, they have to stand right next to each other though for a long time but it's pretty worth it and you can always check in the augury or something in the castle village and see how close some people are to falling in love.

Doubling in this game is different, your AS>Enemy's AS but you must also have the pursuit skill to double, seems like a death sentence to certain units but in FE4 there's lots of ways to have good combat rather than just double and kill.

I hope you don't consider any of those spoilers, and have fun!

Thank you! ill keep this stuff in mind, i know how important pairing is in that game so i hope i dont make any kids that flop. if i do, its not a huge deal i hope.

14 minutes ago, IH520 said:

Thank you! ill keep this stuff in mind, i know how important pairing is in that game so i hope i dont make any kids that flop. if i do, its not a huge deal i hope.

Don't worry too much about it honestly. Pretty much all your child units are going to be more than capable of tackling the late game, even without inheritances. Just enjoy the ride, Seisen is pretty easy compared to a lot of modern games' hard and maniac options.

-Pairing up units is very important in this game for reasons I will explain later.

-Every unit has their own money, and means of transferring money are extremely limited. 

-Related to the above, thieves have no utility in this game; they can only steal gold, which is done by attacking enemies. Unfortunately, not only is getting thieves to the action tedious, they have poor combat parameters. To put things into perspective, Dew (the thief you get in the first generation) has 3 base strength, 1 base defense, 0 base resistance, and only 28 HP. Oof. That's the same durability as Sylvia and Tiltyu have starting out (physically, anyway). And unlike those two (Sylvia is a dancer and thus not expected to fight, and Tiltyu a [thunder] mage), he mostly has to risk eating counters.

-The weapon balance is virtually nonexistent; long story short, axes and fire magic drool, and swords and wind magic rule.

-Related to the above, in this game, weapon weight is subtracted directly from your speed to determine Attack Speed (AS). The thing is, swords and wind magic are lightweight, meaning you get minimal AS reductions when using them, whereas axes and fire magic are heavy, which means you lose a lot of AS when using them.

-Expect to have the cavalry units see most of the action.

-Why is pairing up important? Because after a certain point, you'll end up with the children of the first generation characters for spoileriffic reasons (naturally, I won't say). If you don't pair up your characters, you get stuck with substitute units, nearly all of whom are inferior to the characters they replace for various reasons..

Edited by Shadow Mir

You cannot possibly screw things up so badly that the game is unwinnable.  The game tries to take that into account.  So if you "accidentally" a something-or-other, don't sweat it.

pay attention to characters' status screens. It'll give you a hint on types of events that can happen. I won't go into too much detail about these though.

Be patient. I couldn't finish tje second map because I was too frustrated. Sort of regret it, because everybody else loves it, so I kight go back later.

And you can only recruit Ayra after capturing the Castle near where she spawns.

Use all of the saves. I did Slot 1 - Every turn/autosave, Slot 2 - Save after every castle, Slot 3 - Save at the beginning of each chapter. Slot 4 was wildcard. This helps in case your one autosave is of a turn you can't save (because you goofed).

Edited by Alexbond

• 1 month later...