Bravely Default 2 Demo Discussion

vanguard333

20 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

I think with enough ethers you could wittle him down fast enough, specially having the buff and debuff stacking. I don't remember how i survived the sandworm, i know i was at max health, but it would always kill my mages. However i think the monk and vanguard could survive it by defaulting. Though i think the time i did it, it came down to luck. If the sandworm did sandstorm 2 times in a row when he did 3 or four attacks it would almost guarantee a wipe, specially if he targetted my monk or vanguard with his spit attack they'd be dead. I ended up getting lucky and managed to survive or avoid that somehow.

Interesting. Have you gone up against the tree golem yet?

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Interesting. Have you gone up against the tree golem yet?

I have indeed. He took me many more tries than the sandworm, but I found him easier to survive through defaulting. What would usually get me was getting fucked through the boss gets 1 turn, defaults, next turn is boss again and does 4 attacks in a row. Meanwhile none of my characters are defaulting cause i didn't expect it.

I found the strats later on, but i felt they were kinda cheap after slogging through the tree fight. Seriously it took me ~1 hour to finish him off, not counting the attempts.

18 hours ago, Zanarkin said:

I have indeed. He took me many more tries than the sandworm, but I found him easier to survive through defaulting. What would usually get me was getting fucked through the boss gets 1 turn, defaults, next turn is boss again and does 4 attacks in a row. Meanwhile none of my characters are defaulting cause i didn't expect it.

I found the strats later on, but i felt they were kinda cheap after slogging through the tree fight. Seriously it took me ~1 hour to finish him off, not counting the attempts.

Yeah; I will say that at least one thing that helps is that they are a lot slower than the thief boss. Still, at least the thief boss goes down in a reasonable amount of time if you know what to do. These bosses are HP Sponges. I get having a bit more health, since they're secret bosses, but over 50,000 for the worm and over 70,000 for the tree, when my max-level characters (that are also equipped with the best items) can do maybe a few hundred damage to them with an attack they're weak to? 

EDIT: Okay, 58,000 HP for the sandworm is not that bad when I apply four debuffs to his magic defence through my Vanguard Seth. The real problem with the sandworm boss is that it cheats! 

I do everything I can to beat him; I have the mercenary girl as a thief to siphon physical attack from the sandworm and make its attacks a complete joke, I have the princess and Elvis act as both support and my main source of damage to the worm through Blizzara, and I make sure to default and build up the points and I'm as careful as I can be about when I have my characters attack vs when I have them default. With my strategy, I could probably bring it down in 10 minutes, including animations. The problem: every time I've tried, the computer spontaneously gives the previously very slow sandworm 4 turns in a row, so it obliterates my team. It's cheating in order to win! 

Edited by vanguard333

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Yeah; I will say that at least one thing that helps is that they are a lot slower than the thief boss. Still, at least the thief boss goes down in a reasonable amount of time if you know what to do. These bosses are HP Sponges. I get having a bit more health, since they're secret bosses, but over 50,000 for the worm and over 70,000 for the tree, when my max-level characters (that are also equipped with the best items) can do maybe a few hundred damage to them with an attack they're weak to? 

EDIT: Okay, 58,000 HP for the sandworm is not that bad when I apply four debuffs to his magic defence through my Vanguard Seth. The real problem with the sandworm boss is that it cheats! 

I do everything I can to beat him; I have the mercenary girl as a thief to siphon physical attack from the sandworm and make its attacks a complete joke, I have the princess and Elvis act as both support and my main source of damage to the worm through Blizzara, and I make sure to default and build up the points and I'm as careful as I can be about when I have my characters attack vs when I have them default. With my strategy, I could probably bring it down in 10 minutes, including animations. The problem: every time I've tried, the computer spontaneously gives the previously very slow sandworm 4 turns in a row, so it obliterates my team. It's cheating in order to win! 

I took a really long time with the thief. How do you stop the healing? He ran out of mana and thats how i beat him...

Also do you mean like 2 turns, but the worm defaults in one of them, and then uses brave points for 4 actions? or do you mean 4 turns meaning it could default 4 times? But yeah the multiple turns in a row is bullshit when you can see it. But i found out it can happen to characters. Elvis did it as a black mage the one time. I defaulted and then right way he got another action. It was still bs though, they should let us see the order. Kind of how Octopath Traveler does it.

Edited by Zanarkin

9 hours ago, Zanarkin said:

I took a really long time with the thief. How do you stop the healing? He ran out of mana and that's how I beat him...

I can't really remember how I beat him. I mainly just made sure he only targeted my vanguard, weakened his magical defence with my vanguard's attacks, and hit him with a lot of magic. My strategy was a bit more detailed than that, but I can't really remember the details. Basically, I took his healing into account, and timed my attacks so that they would do a lot more damage than he could heal. 

9 hours ago, Zanarkin said:

Also do you mean like 2 turns, but the worm defaults in one of them, and then uses brave points for 4 actions? or do you mean 4 turns meaning it could default 4 times? But yeah the multiple turns in a row is bullshit when you can see it. But i found out it can happen to characters. Elvis did it as a black mage the one time. I defaulted and then right way he got another action. It was still bs though, they should let us see the order. Kind of how Octopath Traveler does it.

No; I mean four turns (or maybe it was only three, still BS). 

It gradually built up its brave points over the course of the fight. Then, it used all three in one turn where its physical attack was debuffed, then the game gave him at least two (but I'm pretty sure it was three) more turns in a row, and I know they were actual turns because the attack debuff wore off, so he wiped my entire party. 

Yes, they should absolutely let us see the order. It isn't just Octopath Traveler that does it, I think a lot of other turn-based RPGs do so as well, including Divinity: Original Sin 2. 

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I can't really remember how I beat him. I mainly just made sure he only targeted my vanguard, weakened his magical defence with my vanguard's attacks, and hit him with a lot of magic. My strategy was a bit more detailed than that, but I can't really remember the details. Basically, I took his healing into account, and timed my attacks so that they would do a lot more damage than he could heal. 

I tried to do that but i ran out of mana. So i had to keep using the free lancer skill lucky charm on my black mage. In all fairness though, i didn't realize you needed to equip abilities, i thought if you were playing as that class or sub-class you'd get the skills. I learned much later of my folly.

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

No; I mean four turns (or maybe it was only three, still BS). 

It gradually built up its brave points over the course of the fight. Then, it used all three in one turn where its physical attack was debuffed, then the game gave him at least two (but I'm pretty sure it was three) more turns in a row, and I know they were actual turns because the attack debuff wore off, so he wiped my entire party.

I don't think i ever saw that amount of BS but that really sucks. I hope they fix that in the full game. Maybe this was part of how they made the demo tougher?

Edited by Zanarkin

2 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

I tried to do that but i ran out of mana. So i had to keep using the free lancer skill lucky charm on my black mage. In all fairness though, i didn't realize you needed to equip abilities, i though if you were playing as that class or sub-class you'd get the skills. I learned much later my folly.

Ah; makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, Zanarkin said:

I don't think I ever saw that amount of BS but that really sucks. I hope they fix that in the full game. Maybe this was part of how they made the demo tougher?

Maybe. In any case, thanks for the sympathy. 

I just finished it, and I was amazed at how much it killed my desire to buy the game.

The original demo was absolutely fantastic. It was a fun little game in and of itself, with nine jobs, tons of quests, and at least three dungeons but I think even more. Tons of room to have fun customizing your party and listening to the absolutely kickass music.

Near as I can tell, this demo has one dungeon, and only five classes.

Four if you don't count Freelancer.

For four characters.

Who can use two classes each.

I had a vanguard-monk, a monk-vanguard, a black-mage-white-mage, and a white-mage-black-mage who had examine equipped along with whatever job he was training.

And they all maxed out their jobs by the end of the first dungeon.

I assumed you'd be getting more jobs as the demo progressed... but instead I got one extra job right as the demo was over. That was the only boss, and I actually only found one sidequest too.

Also, the voice acting was insufferable. I found the use of assorted european accents refreshing at first given how rare it is in games, but the characters aggressively refuse to shut up.

They have a line for EVERYTHING. They have a line for when it's their turn, they have a line for when they attack, they have a line for when their attack is super effective, they have a line for when they're healed (and if you group heal, they'll all thank you at once in a veritable maelstrom of gibberish), and if you speed up or press buttons too rapidly, the lines just play on top of each other.

Aside from that, the lack of a second screen has made the interface less friendly, the general pacing or the game has been ramped down to a noticeable degree, and the music just isn't as great as the original game's.

Also, the group dynamic is the same as it was in Bravely Default 1, and that... annoys me. There's only so much you can do with the dynamic of the bland everyman, the prim and reserved girl, the tomboyish girl, and the irresponsible buffoon (just an alcoholic and a gambler rather than a pervert this time) the two girls spend most of his screentime groaning at or mocking. And the characters just aren't as endearing as the original four were.

I think I'm gonna pass on this one. A pity, I was looking forward to it.

Edited by Alastor15243

40 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I just finished it, and I was amazed at how much it killed my desire to buy the game.

The original demo was absolutely fantastic. It was a fun little game in and of itself, with nine jobs, tons of quests, and at least three dungeons but I think even more. Tons of room to have fun customizing your party and listening to the absolutely kickass music.

Near as I can tell, this game has one dungeon, and only five classes.

For four characters.

I had a vanguard-monk, a monk-vanguard, a black-mage-white-mage, and a white-mage-black-mage who had examine equipped along with whatever job he was training.

I assumed you'd be getting more jobs as the demo progressed... but instead I got one extra job right as the demo was over. That was the only boss, and I actually only found one sidequest too.

Also, the voice acting was insufferable. I found the use of assorted european accents refreshing at first given how rare it is in games, but the characters aggressively refuse to shut up.

They have a line for EVERYTHING. They have a line for when it's their turn, they have a line for when they attack, they have a line for when their attack is super effective, they have a line for when they're healed (and if you group heal, they'll all thank you at once in a veritable maelstrom of gibberish), and if you speed up or press buttons too rapidly, the lines just play on top of each other.

Aside from that, the lack of a second screen has made the interface less friendly, the general pacing or the game has been ramped down to a noticeable degree, and the music just isn't as great as the original game's.

Also, the group dynamic is the same as it was in Bravely Default 1, and that... annoys me. There's only so much you can do with the dynamic of the bland everyman, the prim and reserved girl, the tomboyish girl, and the irresponsible buffoon (just an alcoholic and a gambler rather than a pervert this time) the two girls spend most of his screentime groaning at or mocking. And the characters just aren't as endearing as the original four were.

To be fair, this demo was released far earlier in the game's development than the one for the original Bravely Default if I recall correctly. They released it with the intention of hearing feedback, so why not give them feedback on these issues, and see what happens?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

To be fair, this demo was released far earlier in the game's development than the one for the original Bravely Default if I recall correctly. They released it with the intention of hearing feedback, so why not give them feedback on these issues, and see what happens?

Fair. Where am I supposed to tell them?

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

Fair. Where am I supposed to tell them?

They released a survey recently. I left a link to it on the first part of this thread. 

Just a warning: there's a 300-character limit for each text box in which you can type an answer, so keep your feedback concise. 

18 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

They released a survey recently. I left a link to it on the first part of this thread. 

Just a warning: there's a 300-character limit for each text box in which you can type an answer, so keep your feedback concise. 

Thanks for the heads up, or I'd have never figured out what was wrong. Funny how they let you type more than they'll actually accept from you, and don't give you a character counter.

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Thanks for the heads up, or I'd have never figured out what was wrong. Funny how they let you type more than they'll actually accept from you, and don't give you a character counter.

You're welcome. Yeah; I found that weird as well. I had to Google what the problem was. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 2:09 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Near as I can tell, this demo has one dungeon, and only five classes.

For four characters.

I'm late to this party having just played it today but I agree with almost all of this. Only demo I've ever hard quit halfway through. 

Leave the town, get owned, grind some abilities. Overworld is good now; go to dungeon, get owned by wasps, grind more abilities. Can get through, wasps still dangerous, fight boss at like level 15, get owned, quit. Why anybody would make an intentionally grindy demo is completely beyond me. If you want people to try abilities in a demo, then just give them abilities. 

And they're really using the exact same 4 character tropes for a third time. Another 80 hours of that sounds miserable. 

I liked 1 and 2 a lot, but I'm just not sure about this one now. 

5 hours ago, Boomhauer007 said:

I'm late to this party having just played it today but I agree with almost all of this. Only demo I've ever hard quit halfway through. 

Leave the town, get owned, grind some abilities. Overworld is good now; go to dungeon, get owned by wasps, grind more abilities. Can get through, wasps still dangerous, fight boss at like level 15, get owned, quit. Why anybody would make an intentionally grindy demo is completely beyond me. If you want people to try abilities in a demo, then just give them abilities. 

And they're really using the exact same 4 character tropes for a third time. Another 80 hours of that sounds miserable. 

I liked 1 and 2 a lot, but I'm just not sure about this one now. 

As I said to @Alastor15243, this demo was released far earlier in the game's development than previous Bravely Default demos, explicitly for the purposes of hearing feedback. Perhaps just give some feedback via their survey (link at the first part of the topic) and see what happens?

As for the grind, yeah; that was a bit annoying. Honestly, with the job system as good as it is, I never really understood why there even needs to be a level-up mechanic in the Bravely Default games.

I could maybe understand it if there was a way to turn off gaining experience points but keep gaining points towards the job system so that you can level up the jobs without levelling up the character and getting over-levelled. That would be good.

• 4 weeks later...

Jumping on this pretty late, but wanted to share some thoughts...

Overall, not too impressed. I've played the original Bravely Default (but not Bravely Second) and felt like it was kind of a downgrade in comparison.

People weren't lying when they said this game was hard! I don't mind difficult games, but they should give the player options to tackle those challenges. Since you started with basically no tools, it was basically a matter of grinding until you could match the enemies.

I ended up putting the game down when I got to the Thief boss. The fight just kept dragging on with him healing any damage I did with his HP steal ability. Not only that, but he failed to pose any offensive threat to the player party.

The characters were okay, I guess. I realise it's hard to develop them in a demo setting which has no story context, but they did just feel like rehashes of previous games' characters.

Graphics wise... this is more a complaint about the series in general, but I really don't like the clash of art styles. The painted backgrounds, character artworks etc. are absolutely beautiful. Why do they slap shiny chibi models on top of that?

The music is solid. Not as good as the original Bravely Default, but still pretty good.

I fully realise this is just a demo, though. Hopefully things will be better in the main game where there's a proper story and more natural progression.