Ana's Legend of Zelda Stories

Anacybele

Thought I'd compile all I've wrote on the LoZ games lately in here. A lot of it has been for the writing contest, but I also have one big fic so far that uses the same cast of characters.

The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Power can currently be found here on my ff.net account. I plan to move it to another site at some point though, as ff.net isn't that great, honestly. It takes place seven years after Majora's Mask. I also haven't updated this story in quite some time, but I plan to eventually. One character I've been writing lately hasn't even physically appeared in this one yet, only been mentioned so far. So I'm pretty overdue to change that.

I also plan to eventually update some of the other writing threads I have on here too, soon as college and all aren't keeping me so busy.

Anyway, I'll post each one-shot in separate posts and if I have anymore multi-chapter stories, I'll link them from where ever I post them elsewhere so they don't wind up too mixed in with the one-shots.

Edited by Anacybele

Here's the first one-shot. I'll go in the order I wrote them, though this order is not chronological.

To Be a Leader

“NO! Damn it all! We’re trapped!”

“What was General Judo thinking?! It’ll take us forever to navigate our way out of this massive mountain range!”

“The enemy went this way, he said. We have to go after them, he said!”

“This is the last straw! He’s so incompetent!”

“General Aldin would be ashamed! Though why he had any faith in Judo, I can’t figure out.”

“Yeah, I was furious when I heard he was to take over when the late general died!”

Several well-armored knights atop their now halted horses began shouting and complaining amongst themselves while even more lamented the newly made wall of rock behind them. They barely escaped the large rockslide without a scratch on anyone or their steeds, as the wall extended many feet behind them at this point. And as far as they knew, this had been their only viable escape route.

One knight in slightly more ornate armor and ebony hair stepped into the fray a moment later, though he looked more concerned than truly upset or angry.

“Hey now, Judo is young and has only been at this a few months,” he said. “Give him a little more time.”

“Yeah, Deputy Commander Conan’s right,” one of the other knights who hadn’t started shouting put in. “Also, don’t forget that General Judo wasn’t even supposed to take over that soon! General Aldin’s death was sudden and nobody expected it when it happened.”

“I admit, if anyone saw those arrows coming, they had to be psychic,” another knight added. “Judo does tell a good joke. I give him that much. It helps when times are tough. Laughing is good for the soul!”

“Yeah, totally! I support you, general, don’t worry!”

Yet more knights who took Judo’s side soon came to his defense against those who weren’t. Yet, Judo himself didn’t speak for a few moments. The dusty-brown haired knight, garbed in great ornate armor and displaying bulk and muscle that any serious body builder would be impressed with could only heave a sigh of stress and shake his head. Though it was more at himself than his comrades. Judo could not stop kicking himself for not having anticipated the trap that now left his group in a bad predicament.

He knew he had to say something soon, though, as he was the leader and needed to calm his troops down before the situation got even more out of hand. He then cleared his throat to do so.

“Listen, everyone,” Judo spoke up. “I screwed up, that’s no secret. And I can’t apologize enough for it. I appreciate those who still defend me though.”

“And I can’t believe anyone still is!” one of the angrier knights spat. “We have families and friends who might get worried about us! And I’m not even sure you deserve to wield Orion! The treasured sword of the Hyrulean knights should be in the hands of a real leader!”

“Hey now, I wouldn’t go that far,” another knight stepped in again. “Judo’s strength is second to none! He’s crushed many in duels and arm wrestles. A warrior that powerful would put Orion to the best use possible if you ask me.”

“Don’t be an idiot! There’s more to being a leader and knight than just having muscles!” another retorted.

“That’s not what I meant! And I’m an idiot? Says the guy who snuck a fake spider in my tea! That prank was not funny at all! I hate spiders!”

“I didn’t know you were arachnophobic, I was just trying to make a funny joke. Judo can’t be the only guy around here who’s funny!”

“So you do admit he has some good qualities!” one of Judo’s defenders pointed out with a sly grin.

“SHUT UP!”

Now several of them began yelling and shouting again, seemingly almost to the point of getting physical. Now Judo was feeling his blood begin to boil, and Conan could only bring a hand to his face and sigh. With that, Judo spurred his steed for a moment and allowed the stallion to let out a huge neigh that made everyone jump in their own saddles.

“ENOUGH ALREADY!” Judo thundered. It soon became quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

“Look, regardless of whether or not I should be leading, fighting amongst ourselves is not helping our situation,” the young general continued. “Like I said, I messed up, and now we all have to work together to get out of this. I realize everyone has family and friends. I do too, my mother came to Mayia with us, after all. And King Daphnes could very well need us soon, as I realize now that Hyrule may be in as much danger as Mayia, maybe even more, if these monsters travel there. I’m not sure why His Majesty sent all of us, I think that was an unwise decision on his part, but it is what it is.”

“He probably figured that there wouldn’t be any danger before we returned,” Conan pointed out. “But I agree, it wasn’t the smartest move. In fact, Judo, my intuition tells me that your suggestion of the monsters going to Hyrule is correct. I’ve a feeling we were lured out here from the beginning, not just for this trap. Those monsters could’ve come here first in hopes King Daphnes would send help and leave Hyrule vulnerable. It’s actually rather clever.”

“Oh no. And your intuition is almost always right.”

“Indeed…”

Judo thought for a moment again. He did remember that the monsters that attacked were said to be stronger and more intelligent than those that had once attacked Hyrule before. It would be just like them to concoct such a scheme.

“Well…” Judo began again. “I again apologize to everyone. But right now, all we can do is keep traveling these mountain roads and tunnels in hopes of finding a new route.”

“And how are we going to do that?” one of the knights who had argued against Judo wondered annoyingly. “We have not found any other paths already, and our horses obviously can’t climb. We can’t even risk light slopes because they could break their legs!”

“You’re right. But we will find something. If there’s one thing Aldin used to tell us all,” Judo continued. “It’s that there’s always an answer. Sometimes it may be difficult to find, or right there in front of you. But he always believed in a solution no matter the situation.”

The other knights and Conan had to agree. The old general did have a lot of good advice and encouragement. It was what made Aldin the leader he was. Part of Judo now pined for such skills himself, wondering if he could ever be like his mentor and idol. As things stood now, though, that didn’t seem likely. Aldin had had faith in Judo that he could take over for him, but all he’d been able to do was cause a divide between his men. Judo wasn’t even sure if he could hold things together now rather than make said divide even worse.

“So how about this,” Conan spoke up. We stay together right now, but somewhere down the line, we can split into two groups to cover more ground. These mountains have echoes, so someone can whistle really loud to notify the other party if they find something. And don’t forget, not all of us are stuck. We have a third group we left behind in the Mayia Plains. We might find a way to contact them for help.”

“Good ideas,” Judo agreed. “One group will be led by myself and Conan will take the other. We’ll decide later when to split off. Heck, I actually think right now, we ought to set up camp somewhere first and wait to divide into groups until morning. It’s getting to be late afternoon now.”

“That’ll work well enough,” Conan replied. “We don’t want to risk getting lost in the dark.”

“Then it’s settled. Everyone understand?”

The knights all nodded and voiced their approval. And with that, the group hustled their horses down the road in the direction away from the rock barrier. Thankfully, it was wide enough for three or four knights to travel in a row. All they had to do now was find a location to pitch their camp. Judo and Conan had a map of the mountains that they surveyed as they traveled. They noticed a small valley nestled deep within the range and decided to go there. It even had a few branching paths which was perfect for splitting into groups later. They had to take a few turns to get there, but it wasn’t too far from their current location.

Along the way, two knights asked Judo to tell one of his many jokes to pass the time. And with a goofy grin, Judo knew he could not say no to this. He never was able to with how much he loved to make people laugh.

“Alright,” he agreed with a chuckle. “I think I have a somewhat appropriate one. What do you call a tight bra? A booby trap. Heh heh heh.”

Several knights erupted in laughter, remembering that they themselves had fallen for a trap, which was why Judo felt the joke rather appropriate, even if at the same time, it might’ve also been rather inappropriate. Some other knights merely rolled their eyes, probably wondering how their comrades could be cheery at a time like this.

As Judo suspected, the sun had begun to set when they arrived at the clearing. The knights immediately went to work in setting up their tents. Several tents were shared as well. Judo and Conan also bunked together in one. The horses were placed in a large stable tent that always took several people to put up. But with enough help, it could go up in a timely manner. Some knights carried materials for tents on their horses while the majority of it was kept in a small wagon that was accompanying the group.

Once the tents were up, the warm glow of campfires began appearing with wood collected from nearby trees. As Judo sat at one, simply staring into the bright waving flames, he couldn’t help but not even realize when Conan approached him moments later.

“Judo? You haven’t even taken your armor off yet?” he said. “And you’ve not been smiling or laughing much at all. That’s unusual.”

“No… I’m sorry,” Judo replied. “I guess telling even one joke wasn’t enough to cheer myself up this time, even if it worked for some of the others. I have a lot on my mind.”

“I see. And I understand,” Conan said. He sat down next to his friend and commander, having already shed his armor and now only wore his knight’s tunic and boots.

“Don’t let what some of the guys said get to you though,” he continued. “Like I said earlier, you just need a little more time. You haven’t fully adjusted to your new position yet. And it sounds like Aldin hadn’t had enough time to properly train you to lead either. You’re having to figure things out basically all on your own and that would be hard for anyone.”

“I suppose,” Judo agreed, but then buried his face in his hands. “Oh really, who am I kidding? They’re still probably right. I’ve already made a ton of mistakes. We got attacked just as we left Hyrule because I didn’t think to send a scout to survey things ahead of us or anything like that. During our encounters with the enemy in Mayia, I had no idea what commands to issue, the attacks were sudden. I can’t seem to think on my feet well. My men are fighting amongst themselves over me, so they’re now more or less in a verbal civil war. I can’t seem to hold things together at all. And several of our men have been injured already. Two are dead! You yourself pointed out that some of those casualties could’ve been avoided. And now this. And you even tried to warn me that there might be a trap somewhere, but I thought we could catch up to the enemy and cut them down.”

“I see. That is true, I did warn you sometimes.”

“Yeah. I promised General Aldin I would do my best for him and be the leader he wanted. Now I just feel like...I completely let him down. He had so much faith in me, and now it seems that that faith was very ill placed. I feel I should talk to King Daphnes when we return to Hyrule and request that someone else lead.”

“Hey, I understand. You might have made mistakes, but like I said, you’re still learning and you have time to grow,” Conan pointed out. “The best leaders learn from their mistakes. Because not even the best leader is immune to making them.”

“That’s true…Though I’ve also been kicking myself for…other things too, admittedly.”

“Ah, Kelli?”

“It’s much to do with her, yeah.”

Judo then lamented his childhood friend, whom he missed dearly and wished to see again for the first time in years as soon as he returned home to Hyrule. And even now, she still meant more to him than anything.

“I sent a letter to her, but there’s been no word on if she got it,” Judo said. “Something might have happened and now I wonder if she’ll ever get it… And if she would also think I failed my general… I feel I would embarrass her.”

“Man, no, don’t think like that. From what you’ve told me, Kelli would never stop caring deeply for you. She looks past any flaws you have. And I’m sure she wants to see you just as much as you want to see her no matter what.”

“I hope so. I do still look forward to it, and showing her that even if I can’t lead, I’ve become one of Hyrule’s best warriors. She can at least be proud of that.”

“That’s the spirit.”

Conan then shot Judo an encouraging smile.

“Thanks,” Judo replied, returning the gesture.

Kelli… Judo began in his mind, now rather distantly thinking of his beloved friend. The promise we made as children when you left is one I could never break. I waited for you, and now you wait for me. And I will return.

The young general still had other thoughts in his mind as well, however, and spoke up once more a moment later.

“There’s one other thing I can’t stop beating myself up for either though. And I haven’t mentioned it until now because I’ve felt so awful about it… But you’re my friend, Conan. So I think you should know.”

“What? What’s wrong?” Conan wondered.

Judo then brought a hand to his neck, a lump forming in his throat as he remembered how bare it now was.

“While we were still journeying to Mayia, I realized my most precious possession, a sword charm my father had given me when I was a kid, was not around my neck anymore. That’s why I suddenly looked like I’d seen a ghost. I had to have lost it when we were attacked upon leaving Hyrule. I did get struck once or twice, and the chain probably broke. I had been meaning to replace the fastening. This was the only thing I had left of my dad, and now I’ll probably never get it back…”

“Oh, my… I’m sorry. I remember when you told me about your dad. That’s awful.”

“Yeah… I messed up so bad that I couldn’t even keep my dad’s necklace safe!”

“Hey… Sometimes times are tough. But we’ll get through it together. I’ll always have your back.”

“Heh. Conan, I have no idea what I would do without you. I might even be dead if not for your advice and tactical prowess.”

“I don’t know about that, but I’m glad to be there for you, buddy.”

Before either of the two could say anything more, an annoyed voice suddenly rang out.

“HEY! Who threw a rock at my tent and knocked it down?!” one of the knights demanded. “Is this another one of your stupid pranks, Dennis?!”

“What?! I didn’t do anything!” the knight named Dennis retorted. “Not everything that happens to you is a prank, moron!”

“You did once dump pebbles in some guy’s tent…along with a dead lizard in his armor,” another knight pointed out. “I can see why—”

“AH! My tent got hit too!” another knight shouted.

“AGH!”

“AUGH!”

Suddenly, pained cries rang out from other places in the camp, and Judo and Conan gasped when they saw a few arrows and more rocks flying from cliff sides above them. Moments later, monsters began making their way down towards the camp, armed with swords, shields, and a manner of other weapons. Some were bipedal lizard and dinosaur-like creatures with beady golden and navy blue eyes. And others were skeletal humanoids, also bearing those eye colors.

“CRUD! We’re under attack!” Judo realized. “And we’re more vulnerable down here since we can’t easily escape!”

“Damn it,” Conan uttered angrily. “We have to do what we can to fend them off! Or else we lose everything!”

“Right,” Judo said. “EVERYONE, GRAB YOUR WEAPONS NOW! Guard the tents! And get those injured men to the medical tent as quickly as possible!”

The knights were now scattering to retrieve their weapons and what little armor they could strap back on in a short amount of time. Some of them wielded lances, some axes, and some even used bows. Judo was thankful that he still had some of his own archers with him, as they would not be able to reach the monsters on the cliffs otherwise.

Judo himself quickly retrieved Orion from his tent, the long, somewhat broad blade with gold and red embroidery, still caked with a little blood from previous fights, and went to join in the brawl. Conan soon spoke up again.

“Judo, we have to guard those who are firing at the enemies on the cliffs. Tell everyone else to protect them closely.”

“Alright, will do,” Judo obliged. “We still have some bomb arrows left, right? From when the Mayians gave some to us to help out?”

“Yeah, those should be helpful. I’ll tell the guys to use them.”

With that, the two leapt into action and charged towards the monsters. Judo began cutting through them as quickly as he could. Orion was powerful enough to take one down in one, maybe two swings. He was able to cleave a Lizalfos monster clean in two. The Dinolfos were somewhat larger and more powerful, and took more effort, but even they could fall to Judo’s blade quickly. Conan had drawn his lance and was sure to watch his commander’s back.

“Judo, there’s still more coming!” he reported. “And two more men just got taken to the medical tent!”

“Blast!” Judo exclaimed. “Alright, we need to take things up a notch!”

With that Judo began to attempt to take on multiple monsters at once. Some might have thought him crazy to do so, but that was before they saw his full might.

“I can do more than just swing a blade, you know,” Judo said to his opponents with a sly grin.

He then drove his foot into a Lizalfos behind him immediately after chopping a Dinolfos in two. When a Stalfos came at him, he grabbed him by its collar bone and swung him over his head right at another pair comprised of a Lizalfos and Dinolfos. Both collapsed to the ground as the Stalfos’s bones broke apart upon them.

“Heh heh, now that’s what I call getting t-boned,” Judo laughed. “Joke’s on you!”

“Nice one,” Conan commented with a smile. “Agh!”

Suddenly, an arrow scraped his shoulder, and unfortunately, it was his lancing one.

“No!” Judo cried. “Conan! YAGH!”

A Dinolfos had suddenly dug its claws into the left side of Judo’s face. Blood trickled out of the newly made gashes. He was lucky that the creature’s hand missed his eye. Conan now grimaced more at his commander than his own wound, though Judo was still easily able to swing his blade right through the creature’s torso.

“Ugh… Sorry, Judo…” the deputy commander uttered, dropping his weapon and clutching his shoulder. The arrow had managed to cut almost an inch deep.

“That looks bad. Go to the medical tent now,” Judo ordered while shielding a strike from a Lizalfos. “I think I have a plan now for finishing this. We’re losing too many men too quickly.”

“Alright… What are you thinking of doing though? I might be able to offer advice.”

“Well, remember the box formation you had us use a few times before? You know, to guard a vulnerable ally or someone that we’re escorting? I’m thinking we should have everyone surround the camp with the archers inside the box.”

“Yes, that could work! Provided we have enough men left… This valley is still rather sizable.”

“I think we can manage. I can hold off a large section on my own with Orion’s range. Now go! You’re bleeding a lot!”

“Alright, good luck! I’ll try to get back out here soon though, the cut didn’t get my bone or anything.”

“Got it, but if you don’t feel like you can lift your weapon, don’t try to. I can’t have you making the wound worse.”

“Of course.”

With that, Conan rushed off, leaving Judo to issue his orders.

“EVERYONE, LISTEN UP! Surround the entire camp in box formation!” he commanded. “Don’t leave any wide openings! Archers, fire from inside the box!”

No one was hesitant to follow, as at this point, even Judo’s non-supporters were willing to try anything to win this fight. Though a few were rather reluctant, wondering if their general knew what he was doing for once.

Judo rushed to the main entrance to the valley, as this was where a majority of the monsters were coming from. Another group of them were just about to enter when the general held his sword out behind him and began going into a spin. He gradually spun faster until he struck every enemy within a few feet of him and then leapt into a fearsome jump strike. Almost half a dozen enemies were thrown backward by the impact. This was Judo’s favorite move to use when he had to take on several enemies at once, and it was also his own version of the spin attack often taught to Hyrulean soldiers.

With his load lessened now, Judo took a quick look at how his men were doing. Just as he’d hoped, the enemy’s strength now appeared to be dwindling. Not as many were coming after them now. One or two would nearly break through the barrier the knights had formed, but none managed to reach any tents.

Within minutes, the worst of the battle was over. A few stragglers remained for a little while, but the other monsters began retreating, realizing now their efforts were futile. As soon as the final threat was gone, nearly each and every knight sagged on their feet or steed and began panting. Even Judo himself wasn’t hesitant to sheath Orion and drop to his knees. Moments later, a familiar voice spoke up again.

“Wow,” Conan said, now with his shoulder wrapped in a bandage. “I come out here again as soon as I could lift my weapon without too much pain and I find the battle is over! I’m impressed, Judo. Nice job!”

“Ha… Thanks,” Judo replied between breaths and stood to his feet a moment later.

“Hey, I knew you had it in you,” the deputy commander said with a friendly smile. “You never cease to amaze me.”

“Heh… I guess I did do well this time. And I might have my head on straight now too. I do feel better.”

“That’s good. Remember what you and all of us did today now. You don’t need to lack confidence. Those monsters cleverly tricked us into being more vulnerable and attacked when they had the best chance. And they still lost.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Like I’d said a little while ago, joke’s on them! Ha ha ha!”

“That’s the Judo I know and admire! You’re never without that catchphrase of yours.”

“Nope. And you know, maybe I’m also now these monsters’ worst knightmare. Heh heh heh!”

Haha, there you go!” Conan commented, chuckling as well. “We should help clean up the camp now, though, after you get your face bandaged. Some of the tents were damaged, and the campfires were destroyed. There are monster guts lying around now too.”

“Ugh, gross. This won’t be fun. But yeah, or else it’s going to reek of dead monster corpses later.”

“Yeah, and that’d be a monster of an odor.”

“Hey, that’s my job!”

“Well, maybe you’re rubbing off on me.”

Conan threw his friend a wink.

“Heh, I guess. I’ll be in and out the medical tent soon.”

With that, Judo quickly got his face cleaned up and bandaged. He then joined Conan and their men and had everyone that wasn’t too injured join the cleanup effort. They also inquired about the injured and learned that thankfully, no one had died. Some of the knights that had been against him before even praised Judo for his quick thinking. They still weren’t certain he could handle the job of being general, but they admitted he had taken a step forward. Judo was glad to know, and wondered now if the monsters had actually done a good thing here. He had needed to begin growing up as a leader and maybe a knight in general, and it seemed that he now was.

Story 2. This one does take place after the previous.

More Than a Friend

"Hyah!"

"Hinh!"

"Yaah!"

The sounds of two weapons clashing echoed throughout the Hyrule Castle training grounds. A few other soldiers and knights were present and training as well, but no spar had garnered as much attention as the one between a young blonde woman in bluish green clothing and the general of the Hyrulean knights himself. A young man with dusty brown hair, the general mostly stood his ground and did not move a lot while the woman darted all around him whenever she could.

"Heh, not bad," the general commented when the woman side-leaped to avoid one of his blows.

"Same to you, Judo," the woman replied with a smile. "I've never faced anything like your strength! Not even many monsters I've had to kill come close."

"Thanks! But even against you, Kel, I can't let up. And I don't want you to either!"

"Oh, I never will, don't you worry."

With that, the two continued trading and avoiding strikes as much as they could. By now, both had a few scrapes and cuts from near misses, but neither had taken anything close to a blow that would force a defeat. Eventually, the two found themselves panting and exhaustion setting in. Both knew they wouldn't be able to go on much longer like that.

"Hey... I'm getting pooped," Judo said. "Why not call it a draw, Kel?"

"Good idea, I'm not sure I can take much more either," Kelli agreed as the two sheathed their weapons. "You're really something else!"

"Thanks. And same to you. Kelli, you just might be the strongest opponent I've ever faced!" Judo commented. "Aside from Link, that is, since he's pretty strong in his own right. Still can't beat me yet though, heh heh."

"Well, Judo, we'll see if I eventually can do what my cousin can't!" Kelli replied with a grin.

"Ha ha, just don't tell him that. He doesn't like admitting it, but he's miffed that he keeps losing."

"Heh, perhaps Link ought to use that new cat of his then."

Kelli let out a chuckle with her comment.

"...Oh like hell he will!" Judo protested. "I told him that little beast needs to stay far away from me."

"Oh relax, I'm kidding. I think Hero is a darling though. Never imagined Link to be a cat person, but it works!"

"For him, maybe."

As the two friends talked, the bystanders that had witnessed some or all of their duel and clapped for them. Some also thanked them for the impressive show of skill. Appreciative of the comments, they resumed their conversation after.

"Well, in all seriousness, Judo, you're just so amazingly strong. No one should feel bad about losing to you," Kelli pointed out.

"Heh, thanks. But I can say the same of you as well," Judo replied. "You're so fast that I can't really keep up! I don't have much speed in this armor, so I'm forced to stand my ground against you all the time."

"Aw, I'm glad I can give you a good fight," Kelli said, a big smile forming on her features. "Your pure strength more than makes up for any lack of speed though! You shoved me backward like I was a bedroom door!"

"Heh heh, I do take some pride in these muscles," Judo admitted and rather theatrically brought up his right arm to flex. "Years of training and workouts made me the knight I am. I'm always glad it all paid off."

"I bet! I am too," Kelli agreed, her smile taking on a more caring feel. "It's like I had told you before. I'm proud of the goofy boy I spent my childhood with becoming someone so important and valuable to Hyrule."

"Ah shucks..." Judo replied, scratching the back of his head. "Thanks so much. And you know I've always been proud of you doing the same."

"And I thank you too, Judo."

With that, Kelli wasn't hesitant to jump into Judo's torso and wrap her arms around his neck in a tight hug. He was taller than her by a few inches, as well as taller than Link, so she nearly had to stand on her tip toes to be eye to eye with him.

"I won't ever stop being that goof for you either, you know," Judo said as he returned her hug. "I never could."

"Oh, Judo. I can't even imagine that anyway," Kelli commented with a chuckle as the two parted.

"Heh, that is hard to picture, isn't it? Me, without my jokes and laughter! Why, that'd be like Link not having connections!'

"You got that right!" Kelli agreed, and then paused a moment before speaking again and coming to a realization. "...Wait a second! That was a joke in itself, wasn't it? Because Link's name literally means connection. You are still a goofball alright!"

"Ha ha ha, you picked that one up!" Judo revealed and shot her a goofy grin and a wink. "That's me, Goofball Knight extraordinaire!"

Kelli then couldn't help but break out into laughter herself.

"Oh, Judo, I---!" she then began, but suddenly stopped herself. "Oh, um..."

"Hm?"

"Ah, nothing, sorry. I just remembered that Zelda asked me to help her with something after our spar. I should go meet her now."

"Oh, okay then, see you later. And we need to spar again, of course!"

"Oh, I look forward to it!"

With that, Kelli quickly began heading inside the castle. Judo watched until she disappeared inside the nearest doors, not realizing his cheeks faded into a rosy red. His trance was interrupted by an unfamiliar voice behind him.

"Heh, bravo. Bravo," the voice said, clapping slowly.

"Huh?" Judo said, turning around. He beheld one of the Hylian soldiers that were not given the title of knight or rode horses as the knights did. Instead, they usually patrolled the castle and castle grounds. This particular soldier was high ranked as well, as his armor was more elaborate than many of the other troops. He carried a spear and shield with him. A shield was something else lower ranking soldiers did not have. This soldier flipped back a strand of his dark reddish brown hair.

"That was quite an impressive showing you and Kelli gave us, General," the soldier continued.

"Oh, thank you. You must be a captain of one of the infantry platoons," Judo deduced.

"That I am. Captain Garrick, at your service."

"I see. Pleasure."

"Indeed. I have a question though," Garrick said. "I always wondered why Kelli fights. Why she was chosen to wield that sword and shield of hers. The Sun Sword, wasn't it? And the shield has the same name. That story of her and Sir Link almost literally digging up ancient weapons predating even the Master Sword has gone around lately since that war we all fought against so many unusual monsters. Sir Link of all people wielding the dark power of the Moon Sword, who'd have thunk?"

"I've noticed. Even I've talked about it. But what do you mean why does Kelli fight? She does because she needs to and she's highly skilled," Judo replied, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, I don't deny her skill," Garrick admitted, but then chuckled. "It's as I said, I wonder why she was chosen for it. They say those weapons choose their wielders like the Master Sword. Link is a fine pick. But Kelli is a highly odd choice. Why not a man of your caliber instead? You've just shown that you have what it takes."

At this, Judo blinked.

"...What's that supposed to mean? That Kelli shouldn't have been picked because she's a woman?"

"Eh, more or less, I suppose. Come now, we both know men will always be the strong ones, the real fighters. Women? Even if one can fight well, she could never match a man who fights at the peak of his skill level. We just saw right now that Kelli couldn't beat you!"

"...What? Why the hell does that even matter?!" Judo retorted, his blood beginning to boil at this guy.

"I guess for the sake of our kingdom's future," Garrick explained. "Also, what could women who fight do when they want to find a husband and settle down? Women are the ones who carry and birth children, feed them when they're infants, and so on. They can't do those responsibilities if they're fighting. Especially if they're injured in...certain places."

"What did you just say?!"

Before Garrick could respond, an ebony haired knight sporting armor more elaborate than others, but not quite on the level of Judo's approached, having seen and overheard some of the conversation.

"Hey, Judo, what's going on here?" he wondered. "Everything okay?"

"Oh, Conan. This idiot's just getting on my nerves and spewing nonsense about Kelli that I can't wrap my head around," Judo irritatingly explained to his deputy commander.

"..."Nonsense?" Ha, like you'd really understand, I suppose. You and Kelli are pretty close, huh?" Garrick pointed out. "Can't imagine why. One other thing I've yet to mention is that all that fighting and training makes her so unattractive too. The battle scars, her plain blonde hair, and her curves seem a bit faded too. She'd probably have a lot of trouble finding a husband anyway even if she wanted."

"WHAT?!" Judo thundered. "Well you can just screw the hell off, you sexist bastard!"

"Whoa! Judo, calm down," Conan said, stepping in front of his superior. "This guy isn't worth it."

"Well I won't stand here and let someone insult Kelli like that just because she's a woman!" Judo replied and then turned to Garrick again. "I swear on my life if you go anywhere near her with that horse dung you're flinging, I'll make sure YOU NEVER LIFT A WEAPON AGAIN!"

"Ho ho," Garrick said, raising his eyebrows. "I must've hit quite a nerve there. ...Wait, I think I get it now. You're actually in love with her, aren't you?"

"...Uh...huh?!" Judo sputtered, suddenly going from a rage red to a more embarrassed rosy shade. "I-I am not! She's just my best friend."

"Suuure. But my, you must have the worst taste in women."

In an instant, Judo's face went back to the rage red again. He couldn't hold himself back this time either, as he rushed around Conan to grab Garrick by the collar of his silvery blue tunic and throw him as hard as he could into a pair of wooden training dummies nearby. The dummies shattered upon the impact as Garrick was dazed and lay there shaken up. Conan quickly approached Judo again, gaping at what he'd just witnessed his superior officer do.

"Judo! Goddesses, get a hold of yourself! I told you this imbecile wasn't worth it!" he said. "Come on, let's go before this gets any worse."

"...Yeah, you're right," Judo agreed. "I'm sorry. We have better things to do anyway."

"Right."

With that, the two headed for the same castle doors that Kelli herself had gone through earlier. Judo sighed as he allowed himself to calm down and regain his composure. He was realizing now that what he'd done was certainly not the way a general should behave, even if he was still young and inexperienced in the position. Only Conan and Garrick appeared to have any knowledge of the incident, but someone like the latter surely might report it. Judo could only hope that none of his men or anyone in the castle would think any less of him because of it if they found out.

"Judo, I won't lie, I can't believe you did that back there," Conan spoke up after stopping at the doors. "What if King Daphnes hears of this? He would certainly not be pleased at all. Even if he would also find what that guy said as repulsive as we do."

"I...I know," Judo admitted. "It was wrong of me. As a general, I have to keep my composure better. Lashing out at people like that is not an example I should be setting for my men. I'm lucky no one besides you really saw it."

"Indeed. They see you just tossing around anyone that makes you angry and that will reflect badly on all of us and even King Daphnes and Princess Zelda. It's not how you handle a situation maturely."

"Yeah... Damn, I feel terrible now. I hope Kelli doesn't find out about this. She'd probably scream at me."

"Maybe. But I bet she'd also appreciate how adamantly you wanted to defend her."

Conan then shot his friend a sly grin.

"...And what are you insinuating?" Judo inquired, a hand on his hip.

"What? Shouldn't Kelli appreciate you defending her?" Conan said, still smiling.

"Well, yeah, but your tone and that grin make me think you have more in mind than that."

"Ah. Well, I do think Garrick was right about one thing, to be honest."

At this, Judo paused for a moment, and then his cheeks faded into that more embarrassed rosy red once again.

"...You're talking about him saying I'm in love with Kelli," Judo guessed.

"Mmhm. And you always tell me my intuition is good, you know," Conan pointed out. "Hey, I'm not going to insult you or her like that fool did. As far as I can see, you and Kelli are meant for one another."

Judo couldn't help but allow a huge grin form on his features, even though his cheeks remained rosy.

"Well...thanks," he said. "I do hope you're right about that. And you and Mr. Sexist are right about that comment too, honestly. I've never felt about anyone the way I do about Kelli. I love her with everything in my heart. And this is the first time I've ever admitted to it and maybe even realized it. Heck, I might have even loved her when we were kids. It's just being kids, we don't really think about those things, I suppose."

"Oh, I can imagine," Conan commented with a smile. "I also can't imagine that Kelli doesn't love you as well. You should go tell her sometime."

"...Yeah, I hope. And I know just where to do that. There's no better place than our favorite hangout next to the Kakariko Village windmill," Judo decided. "I only have no idea how to do it. I feel like I'm just going to make a fool of myself."

"...You? Make a fool of yourself at Kelli? Is that even possible?"

"Oh shut up! Just because I like telling jokes, making people laugh, and pulling goofy shenanigans doesn't mean I can't embarrass myself or someone else."

"Oh, of course, I was just giving you a hard time," Conan admitted with a laugh. "But don't worry. All you can really do is be yourself and do your best. And knowing you, you can make it a moment Kelli would never forget."

"Heh... Yeah, I think you're right. I'll do it next time we go to our hangout."

"Great! I'm rooting for you both. And Sir Link and Princess Zelda would say the same. Oh, but be sure to let us know when the wedding is! And if I'm the best man!"

"Hey, one step at a time here! Sheesh!"

"Heh heh. Just trying to have fun with you."

"Yeah, I do appreciate that. Thanks so much, Conan. I probably say this a lot, but I really don't know what I'd do without you. You have so much good advice, on and off the battlefield."

"Ah, I'm just trying to be a good friend and ally is all," Conan admitted, somewhat bashful himself now.

"Hey, don't be so humble. You deserve the praise," Judo insisted.

"Aw, thanks."

The two then shared pleasant smiles as they finally went inside the castle to call it a day.

Story 3 is a crossover with FE Awakening! This takes place long after the other two.

Divine Powers Collide

Castle Town in the peaceful kingdom of Hyrule was typically busy during the day. Many businesses bustled, and the people known as the Hylians were always rushing to and fro across the square to perform their daily tasks. Citizens browsed food and other goods in the market, played various games in entertainment buildings, guards patrolled the gates and roads to maintain the peace, and more. The currency known as Rupees were constantly being exchanged for these goods and services, keeping the economy rich. Most of the people were decently off, always with money to spend. A few others, however, were not so fortunate.

A young man with reddish brown hair and wearing rather old and tattered clothing sat in one of the town alley ways, munching on little more than a slice of bread and a banana. What income and money he once had was now gone, and little support had come in the meantime. He angrily grumbled over his situation as he ate.

"I can't believe it... I'm out here on the streets now after five years..." he uttered. "All because they had me kicked out of the royal guard! And for what?! Simply believing women aren't as strong as men?! Because my beliefs are different?!"

The man grimaced as he squeezed the remaining peel of the banana so hard that it left mush in his hand.

"Judo... Kelli... One day, you'll both pay for this!"

The man then threw the now messy banana peel across the ground. It almost hit another passerby, and the poor man looked up to see who it was. His eyes widened when he beheld a mysterious cloaked and robed figure with somewhat long grayish blue hair. This person's clothing was unlike any the man had seen in Hyrule before. It was fairly simple, but not in any style worn by the common people. This outfit contained unfamiliar patterns of stitching and embroidery, and used dark blue and purple shades of color. More than intimidated by this figure's appearance, the man quickly apologized for his action.

"Ah, pay it no mind," the passerby said, revealing to have the voice of a woman. "I'm more interested in the names I overheard you speak just now. Judo and Kelli...was it?"

"Oh...yes. I have a huge bone to pick with them!" the man revealed. "I was once a captain in the royal guard at the castle. I was good at my job. Then those two come along and have me stripped of my title and discharged all because they didn't like a few little things I said! And yet I have no idea what I can do about it. They ruined my life and now I'm stuck here scraping for food!"

"I see... That is unfortunate indeed. But perhaps we can help each other out. I am in a sort of predicament myself."

"...W-What? If you haven't noticed, I have no money or decent clothing, I can't find another job that I won't screw up in and will pay me enough, or even a good home to go to since my father won't speak to me or let me see my brother now either! What could I possibly have that would benefit you? And how do I know that you can even be trusted? I don't even know your name!"

"Well, allow me to explain," the mysterious figure said. "And I can tell you a little about myself to ease your concern. I am not from this kingdom, or even this world. I am a traveler from another realm who is seeking aid."

At this, the poor man blinked in silence for a moment.

"Another...realm?"

"That's correct. You may call me Vedette," the stranger introduced.

"I...see. My name is Garrick. Is it really possible for someone to come here from another world? Or go to another world from here?"

"Heh, it most certainly is. You see, I've taken some...interest in those people you mentioned. I may be able to help you get some revenge against them...if you do something for me."

"...You can? What would you want me to do? I'm still not entirely convinced."

"That's fine. Allow me to elaborate further, my fine new friend."

Vedette then explained that she had come to Hyrule through magic that even she had not known existed at first, and now she could travel between it and her own land whenever she wished, or even other worlds. However, she had a situation at home that could not be solved through any means found in her world. She had to seek a power from outside. And Vedette soon learned of something called the Triforce, which existed in Hyrule. At this, Garrick could only laugh, even though he did not want to be rude to someone who might be able to help him.

"...Why are you laughing?" Vedette inquired in a rather annoyed tone.

"Heh...I'm sorry," Garrick replied. "It's just that if you expect to find the Triforce at all right now, especially with the help of someone like me, you're way in over your head. I don't know much about it, but what I do know is that it's our kingdom's most powerful relic and it's currently split into three pieces, each of which is held by one person of that piece's choosing. And those who hold the pieces aren't just any random people. One is our princess, another is one of her retainers, and the third...well, let's just say he isn't in Hyrule anymore. He's been banished to...somewhere. Not sure where exactly."

"Oh, I am fully aware," Vedette assured. "I did my research when I came here, you know. I may even know more than you at this point. The Triforce is said to be able to grant any wish desired when someone touches it. But it will split into three pieces if that person doesn't have the three forces they represent in balance. Your princess holds the Triforce of Wisdom, does she not? The warrior woman known as Kelli has the Triforce of Courage, which was previously held by Link, the other retainer. And the third piece... The Triforce of Power. It is sealed away with...wasn't his name Ganondorf?"

"...Whoa. Yes, that is all correct, as far as I know."

"I told you, didn't I? Oh...and one more thing. There's a rumor that despite the Triforce of Power technically being locked away, the man named Judo is able to...call upon it in certain situations. Apparently, it recognizes him as a worthy holder, should it one day escape from Ganondorf's hands entirely."

Garrick's eyes soon widened again, not believing what he was hearing.

"What?! Even despite that thing being sealed away, its power can still help him? And he doesn't even need to hold it? That sounds no different than someone cheating at a game!"

"Heh...perhaps so. But things such as the Triforce are mysterious sometimes, aren't they? In any case, I can lend you some of my power if you agree to help me get my hands on the pieces of the Triforce. With my plan, you can get your revenge on Judo and Kelli, and I can use the Triforce's power to solve the situation I have at home. We can both satisfy one another's needs."

"...Hmm. I would be interested...but what exactly do you want to use the Triforce for? I am quite hesitant to agree to anything criminal or evil."

"No worries. What I'll do will only affect my world. I don't even wish to keep the Triforce forever. I merely would like to make a wish...to more or less help my own people."

"I see... That would be admirable enough. But you must promise me that I really can make Judo and Kelli pay for what they did. And I'm not sure you can make good on that given that you're asking for the bloody Triforce of all things. How are we supposed to get our hands on it? It's not something we can simply sneak out of someone's belongings. It's power that literally resides within a person."

"Heh... Believe me, I know. I assure you I can keep that promise. My plan cannot possibly fail."

Garrick then thought for a moment before responding.

"Well... Alright then. I don't really have anything to lose anyway."

"Heh heh... Excellent! Now...here's what you must do."

Vedette then explained her idea as thoroughly and clearly as she could. Garrick followed along with intrigue...until Vedette brought up his part in it. And when she finished, he growled.

"Alright, first of all, I resent the idea of kidnapping anyone," he protested. "Second, one of the two children you're talking about has crazy powers! The last time someone took her, they got their arse handed to them big time by both her parents and her! I wouldn't lay a hand on that kid if you paid me!"

"Ah, but my friend, remember you're going to have my power on your side," Vedette reminded him. "And I am aware of the one little girl's powers, actually. Not hard to be when some people around here don't know how to shut up. But anyway, with my magic helping you, this will be a simple task. It pays to come prepared, after all. And just think of it this way. Those people you mentioned took everything from you, did they not? Now you can take something precious from them!"

"...The idea...is very appealing," Garrick admitted, and then cracked a devious grin. "Alright, you have a deal. But you have to give me your word that we won't seriously hurt anyone."

"Fair enough, I have no need for that," Vedette agreed. At least for the moment...heh heh.

"Alright...excellent."

"Alright, Emmy! The warrior princess's loyal partner is ready to fight the big bad Dragolfos!"

"Yeah, May! The princess is too! Let's get him!"

"Rarrgh!"

Two young girls, no more than six or seven years old, played with their dolls in the courtyard of Hyrule Castle. Guards were posted at each door and entrance to the area, their eyes never leaving the girls entirely. With the girls' dolls was a stuffed dragon carrying a sword. The girl with long, almost cherry blonde hair held a doll in a dress that looked something like her own purple outdoor gown. The other girl had a light brown ponytail and was holding both the dragon and another female doll that also carried a sword.

"Look out, Emmy! He's trying to fly away! Grrr!"

May, the one with the ponytail, stood up and ran about the grass with the dragon as if it was flying.

"We'll get him! Warrior princess will ride her pretty horse!"

Emmy then grabbed a stuffed horse that had been sitting next to her and placed her doll upon it. The two girls soon began giggling as they ran through half the length of the courtyard.

Suddenly, a small flashing sound caught their attention. They stopped in their tracks almost immediately. None of the guards seemed to have noticed, however.

"Huh?" Emmy wondered. "May, did you hear that?"

"Yeah. But I didn't see--"

Suddenly, a large flash of light enveloped them, and all they could see before them was white. Their screams pierced the area and caught the attention of the guards for a moment, but disappeared as quickly as they had come. Within seconds, all that was left where the girls stood were their toys.

Within one of the castle's long halls, a tall, bulky man in heavy armor and a long, white cape traveled alongside a near bleach blonde woman in a well-embroidered bluish green tunic. The man also had a long ornate sword sheathed at his side while his companion also carried a unique sword on her back. Also with them was another man, with close to cherry blonde hair. His tunic was a similar style to the woman's, but was a deep green instead of closer to blue.

"Man, Kelli, even after several years of doing this, I feel like summits are the bane of my existence!" the armored man complained. "I never seem to know what to say and when to say it..."

"Oh, Judo, I don't think you do that badly," Kelli complimented with a smile. "You're just different. I never had much experience with these things either, though. I think I prefer the battlefield myself."

"Maybe, but exactly. The battlefield is so much easier to understand."

"Well, at least you're complaining about a meeting and not my cat for once," the other man added. "That was seriously getting old."

"Oh, he can certainly be the end of me too, there's no question!" Judo insisted.

"Sigh...Me and my big stupid mouth. For the millionth time, Hero is harmless!"

"Tell that to the menacing sharp claws on each of his four feet!"

"Oh stop it, both of you," Kelli insisted. "We have more important things to--"

"Ah! Sirs Judo and Link! Lady Kelli! W-We have an emergency!" a male voice suddenly interrupted them. One of the castle guards was rushing towards them, sweat tricking down the sides of his face and his hands trembling, his right one struggling to keep hold of a spear.

"What? What's going on?" Judo inquired.

"Uh...well..." the guard began, trying to gather himself.

"Oh come on, out with it!" Link insisted. "If it's so urgent, tell us!"

"Calm yourself and explain," Kelli ordered.

"Ah...well, you see...I'm so sorry! I-It's the girls! Mayula and Princess Emerald, th-they, they just...disappeared!" the soldier choked out.

"WHAT?!" both Judo and Link thundered. The guard had a feeling this was coming as he trembled further and covered his years to the noise.

"That can't be!" Kelli shouted, almost as angrily. "They were in the courtyard surrounded by a ton of guards! Why the hell did anyone take their eyes off them?!"

"And how could a kidnapper be allowed in so easily?!" Judo added. "Ever since you found out Link snuck in as a freaking ten year old, security's been tightened!"

"B-But we didn't take our eyes away! We could swear to the gods we didn't!" the guard said. "And we didn't see anyone at all! It just happened--!"

"What are you talking about?!" Link retorted. "Two small girls can't just up and vanish into thin air, you moron!"

"I know that! I really hate to say it, but there was nothing we could have done! The girls were playing and then suddenly...poof. In a large flash of light. And all that's left are their toys..."

"That doesn't make a lick of sense! Someone had to be there to cast the spell!" Judo pointed out.

"Yes, but we didn't see anyone, like I said! We're just as baffled as you are!" the guard continued. "One of us has gone to inform Princess Zelda and His Majesty as well and another guard went to find Deputy Commander Conan so we can figure this out. We can show you the courtyard, we haven't touched anything. The others will meet us there too."

"...Well, that was a good idea, at the very least," Link admitted. "Alright, let's go."

"This still sounds ridiculously insane. But yes," Kelli agreed. "We can't just do nothing."

"Right," Judo seconded.

"I just..." Kelli continued as the group headed downstairs to the courtyard doors. "Judo, I can't believe this has happened again. Why did May have to be born with those telekinetic powers?! Why couldn't she get a magic green thumb or something...? I doubt anyone would have much use for a child who can instantly make plants grow. Why are we even of this blasted empowered bloodline at all..."

"I...I don't know, Kelli," Judo replied, a grimace forming on his face. "I'm as enraged as you are. That people could want and be willing to take an innocent little girl and use her like that... Our little girl..."

"Hey, my daughter is gone too, you know!" Link snapped. "It's not just about May this time! Emerald has no powers, so the motive should be something else."

"That's true..." Kelli realized. "Sorry. I guess I'm not thinking entirely clearly."

"Don't worry, I'd be surprised if you were."

Within a few minutes, the group reached the courtyard, which was now extremely quiet due to the girls' absence. Just as the guard had said, only their toys lay strewn in the grass where they had been playing. And there was no other trace of them left. Seconds later, Princess Zelda herself along with Conan and two more guards arrived through another door. Zelda was radiant, her long blonde hair decorated with a gold circlet and a hair clip in the back. Her long ornate gown sparkled in the sunlight. The ebony haired Conan was garbed in similar armor to Judo, though without a cape, and his green eyes were piercing.

"Zelda!" Link greeted, rushing to his wife to embrace her in his arms. "I'm sorry this has happened. But I will find our daughter, I promise!"

"I know," Zelda replied. "I can't believe this has happened! I didn't want to believe the guard's story at first, and neither did my father."

"And neither did we," Kelli added. "So we totally get you there. And yet, here we are..."

"This is absolutely nuts," Conan stepped in. "Even I could have never foreseen a kidnapping like this. And I'm a tactician!"

"Whoever did it was well prepared," Judo pointed out. "We were discussing motive earlier. May's powers were brought up, but since Emerald is missing too, we think it's something else."

"But if not May's telekinesis, then what could it be?" Zelda wondered. "If it was Emerald's royal status, the kidnapper wouldn't need May."

"Indeed," Link agreed. "It has to be something we're just not thinking of. And what about this magic that apparently was used to just make them go poof?"

"And how are we supposed to track such a thing even if we do know what it is?" Conan added.

"Hmm..." Zelda uttered. "I sense...mysterious energy. Surely leftover from the spell. These remnants of magic, however, are unlike any I've ever seen. I don't think it's Hylian at all. Link, it could be..."

"...From another world," Link finished, realizing exactly what his wife was referring to.

"A...another world?" Conan repeated, blinking. "What do you mean?"

"Well, when I was still a kid and had left Hyrule to look for a friend, I somehow ended up falling into a weirdo portal," Link explained. "When I finally landed, I found myself in an entirely new place. I later learned it was a parallel world to Hyrule. Another dimension. I was only able to return here after I found a similar portal again. That other world exists, so perhaps there are more we don't know about."

"Oh yeah, I forgot that happened to you," Judo remembered. "Still a crazy story. And remember that time a couple years ago we ended up going on that crazy adventure with those people from...wasn't it a land called Crimea? That involved some otherworldly business too. But anyway, if it is another world, how are we supposed to find the right one? And when we get there, we'll be in completely unfamiliar territory. We need to make some serious preparations."

"Agreed," Kelli said. "I don't like this other world business... But it's our only solid idea of what's going on."

"Yeah," Link agreed. "But one thing is for sure. After all this, I am so done with anything to do with time travel and other worlds! I want to keep my feet planted right here in Hyrule for once, thanks!"

"Well, can't say we blame you," Judo commented, recalling how Link had once been forced to travel back and forth through time numerous times to save both Hyrule and the world known as Termina. The thought of the former adventure always made Judo shudder, as if it hadn't been for Link, he would have died in a devastating attack on the castle before he was ever even knighted.

"If we're done chit-chatting, we should go do some research on this dimension hopping magic," Zelda suggested. "When we find a way to that other world, however, some of us have to remain behind to look after things here. As much as I want to help find the girls...I probably should stay. I can sense if that unknown magic is being used here again."

"Hmm, yeah... How about Judo, Kelli, and I go?" Link suggested.

"Yeah, Conan, I'll leave you in charge of the knights while we're gone," Judo decided. "Can you handle that?"

"Oh, I'd be glad to," Conan agreed.

"Great, thanks!"

"Kelli, Ralph, has absolutely no one seen him in the last half hour?!" a panicking man in bulky light blue armor inquired, sweat tricking down the side of his head. His brown hair, though already rather unruly, looked like it was standing more on end. He was talking to a slightly younger man with dirty blonde hair and green eyes.

"I-I'm sorry, Fred, no one seems to know where Morgan is! I've been asking everyone!" Ralph replied, nearly as frantic as his hands trembled.

"I have too, Frederick," this second woman named Kelli added. She was garbed in a dark purple tunic and lightweight silvery armor and a curly teal ponytail cascaded down her back.

"CURSES!" Frederick thundered. "How could a seven year old boy just disappear from the palace?!"

"I...I don't know, love...!" Kelli uttered, vainly trying to hold back tears, as she was holding her small daughter in her arms.

"Mommy... I'm scared. I want Morgan back!" the little girl, whose hair was similar and tied with a pink bow, said through small tears.

"I know, Annie sweetie..." Kelli replied to her. "We'll find him, I promise."

"Fred, we have to report this to Lord Chrom and Lady Olivia," Ralph said. "I know you don't want to trouble them, but..."

"I know, we have no choice," Frederick agreed with a grimace. "We must inform them and request search parties... I just hope whoever is behind this doesn't also go after Antoinette or the young prince and princess."

Frederick was incredibly devoted to his liege, Exalt Chrom and Queen Olivia of the halidom of Ylisse. He hated to burden them with anything that he felt he should handle on his own. However, his son was nowhere to be found by anyone and the entire Ylisse Palace had been scoped out by him and his wife and close friend. And now he, Kelli, and Ralph could do nothing more except get more help and expand the search.

The trio made for the throne room immediately, though Frederick could still not stop asking passersby if they had seen his son. Kelli and Ralph had to convince him that he was getting too carried away. Practically everyone knew that when Frederick worried, he worried a lot. He practically burst through the large doors of the throne room when the trio arrived, something he'd ever only do when the situation was serious. Of course, Chrom and Olivia could see this right away, the latter's long pink curls bouncing as she jumped a little from being startled.

"Whoa, Frederick!" Chrom said, his storm blue eyes getting a bit tense. "And Kelli, Ralph. What in all of Ylisse is going on? I'm hearing some people in the castle are running around like scared chickens."

"Oh, my deepest apologies, Milord!" Frederick replied. "But I fear we have a serious situation on our hands, and it pains to me to request more assistance with it! It's Morgan! My son...he's vanished! We've been searching the entire palace for him and have found nothing... I...I shudder to think that he's been abducted!"

"What?!" Chrom gasped. "Frederick, you should have come to us sooner! This is terrible. We'll gladly send out search parties to wherever you need them."

"Oh, thank you, Chrom!" Kelli replied. "I'm so frightened."

"Oh dear... I can imagine," Olivia said, closing her eyes for a moment. "We'll do all we can to help find Morgan! Where was he last seen?"

"He was with me in my chambers while I was practicing some songs," Ralph replied. "Annie was with me as well. They were listening to me sing like they do a lot. I went into the bathroom for a minute or two and when I came out, Morgan was gone and Annie was crying! All she could tell me was that some "big circle of light" took him away. And I wasn't sure what to make of that since Annie is only five. Oh, gods, I feel so damned guilty! I'm so sorry...!"

Ralph then brought his hands to his face and began sobbing.

"Ralph, calm yourself. I'm sure you did nothing wrong," Chrom said. "We'll figure out what happened. Right now, it sounds like someone used magic to warp him out of that room. Hopefully it was just an accident, maybe caused by a healer or mage in training."

"Oh, I do hope it was only that..." Frederick uttered. "But yes, Ralph, no one is blaming you. So stop beating yourself and focus on helping us."

"Ah...yes, of course," Ralph agreed. "Sorry...again."

"It's alright, Ralph, we can still see why you would feel so upset," Olivia comforted. "We'll send out as many people as we can to begin searching the palace grounds further as well as Ylisstol. Meanwhile, all of you can leave and do the same wherever you feel you need to."

"Exactly," Chrom agreed. "Olivia and I would like to get out there ourselves and help as well."

"Ah, that's incredibly appreciated, Milord and Milady, but who would keep watch in the palace?" Frederick wondered.

"Frederick, we're not sending literally everyone. It will be fine," Chrom assured with a chuckle.

"Well...if you so desire, Milord. Thank you."

"Yes, thank you!" Kelli agreed. "I'll leave Annie with a maid and join some of the Pegasus knights and search from the sky atop Twilight."

"That should work. And Ralph and I can cover plenty of ground on horseback ourselves," Frederick agreed.

"Sounds like it's settled then." Ralph commented. "Let's go!"

With that, everyone departed the throne room to begin their assigned task, though Annie cried, not wanting to be left behind with her brother missing. Kelli had to console her that Mommy and Daddy would be back as soon as they could and ask her to be a good girl while she waited. On the way to the palace stables, they informed guards and other castle denizens of their plans, as well as a description of Morgan that Frederick had perhaps made a little too thorough.

"Frederick, I think they get the idea, dear," Kelli said with a small chuckle. Even if her husband overdid things a lot, she somehow found it endearing...at least most of the time.

"...Oh, yes. Of course," he said in response. "Carry on, everyone!"

Within the next several minutes, Frederick and Ralph had mounted their horses while Kelli seated herself upon her Pegasus. The winged horse was as dark blue as the night while Frederick's steed was a gallant brown stallion with a golden mane and tail. Ralph rode a lovely palomino mare. The trio exited the palace grounds and entered Ylisstol, Ylisse's capital city, as quickly as they could. Kelli immediately took to the sky after as Frederick and Ralph proceeded into town. Frederick made no hesitation to question every single person he saw, even small children, about Morgan's whereabouts. He said that one could never know where or who the most important information could come from. Which was true, and yet Ralph had a fairly hard time keeping up with his friend's frantic behavior.

"Fred, uh, I hate to ask, but can we maybe slow down a little bit?" he wondered. "I just can't keep up with you here!"

"Oh, sorry, Ralph. I just...I'm so desperate to find Morgan," Frederick admitted a little tensely. "My duty to my liege might have been my top priority for many years, but...if there's one thing I would possibly ignore that duty for these days...it would be my children. And maybe even Kelli too. I love them far more than I could ever care about picking up pebbles or building campfires or even inspecting the armory. And I am already dropping everything to ensure my son's safe return, after all."

"Yeah, I can definitely understand that. And you also know what it's like to be a hostage..."

"Indeed..."

The two then recalled a time only two years before where Frederick had been in town by himself one day. During that trip, he had somehow been knocked out from behind, and later woke up in a prison cell, chained to the floor. It was then he had become a captured prisoner and was also tortured by his captors, both physically and mentally. He had managed to escape on his own after a time, and later help defeat his captors, who had been stragglers of a previously defeated cult known as the Grimleal, but Frederick could never be the same again after such a terrifying experience. The thought of his son now possibly suffering such a fate felt like it would rip his heart to shreds.

"Well, we've got so many people searching now, Fred, I can't imagine there's any way we won't find Morgan soon," Ralph encouraged.

"I certainly hope so," Frederick replied.

In the sky, Kelli was actively scanning the city as well as the outskirts as closely as she could, her silver lance and a tome of thunder magic on hand in case she would have to fight to get her little boy back. She had to be prepared for anything, even though she prayed that the worst case scenario would not occur. Nearby her, other Pegasus knights were doing what they could to search the area as well. Many of them were new recruits due to nearly all of them having fallen in the previous war, but they were being trained well. And that training was about to pay off. The sole remaining veteran Pegasus knight, a friend of Kelli's named Cordelia, soon approached her, her long red hair flowing behind her.

"Kelli! I just received a report from one of the recruits! They've spotted a suspicious-looking trio of people headed toward the city from the eastern side and they're armed," she said. "I took a look myself and they're definitely not from around here at all. They don't have Morgan with them, but they may have something to do with his disappearance! We have to decide whether to engage them. I know this could end up being a wild goose chase, but it's the only lead we have. Whatever the case though, I advise using caution."

"Oh? I see, good work anyway!" Kelli complimented. "I'll check them out, since yes, any lead is better than no lead. However, we don't need to be starting any fights yet, Cordelia. We have no idea who these people are, and they could very well mean no harm. We will exercise caution, but don't order anyone to attack right now. Frederick, Ralph, and I will handle this."

"Good idea, yes. We wouldn't want to scare them off either, so the rest of us will keep our distance."

"Thanks! Everyone must still keep their eyes peeled for Morgan though! Don't let up on the search."

"Right!"

With that, Cordelia flew off while Kelli went to rejoin her husband and friend below. Frederick and Ralph were not hard to spot due to their distinctive mounts and garb. Kelli quickly had Twilight hover near the ground in front of them and relayed Cordelia's news. Frederick smiled excitedly, though not without a hint of caution as well.

"Ah, I do hope they know something! I certainly do not wish for this to be a waste of time," he said. "But I agree, we must be cautious."

"Yeah, let's go. This could be really interesting, if anything," Ralph added. "Lead the way, Kel!"

They then followed Kelli through town to the nearest eastern exit. Frederick's eyes were still darting every which way just in case he could still find any other sign of his son anywhere, but made sure not to lose track of his wife or Ralph. After battling their way through a few small though curious crowds, the trio reached the outskirts of the city and began following the road away from Ylisstol. Kelli took to the sky again once more to find their mysterious new visitors. Within seconds, she pointed somewhere ahead and had Frederick and Ralph follow once more.

It didn't take long for them to spot the group Cordelia and the other Pegasus knights had found. Without a doubt, this had to be them. They indeed wore unusual armor and clothing that had never been seen in Ylisse before. Their weapons were also unusual, though they could at least be identified as swords. One of the trio was a woman with near bleach blonde hair and garbed in bluish-green clothing. The other two were men, one of which was a little taller and wearing heavier and thicker armor than the other. The taller man also had light brown hair while the other was close to cherry blonde. That man was wearing mostly green, but with well-made embroidered patterns that were as elaborate as those on the woman's outfit and the taller man's red and blue tunic. The most striking feature of these three, however, was their unusually pointed ears. No one that Kelli, Frederick, or Ralph had ever known had such a feature at all. Where did these unusual people come from, and why were they in Ylisse?

"You three there! Halt!" Kelli shouted, hovering closer to the ground again.

"Whoa!" the cherry blonde man cried, jumping a little. His companions had been startled the same way.

"A flying horse?! What...?!" the man continued.

"You are not Ylisseans, who are you and why have you come here?" Frederick inquired after he and Ralph joined Kelli.

"We have a crisis right now, and if you're involved..." Ralph added.

"Hey now, hold on one second!" the taller man began. "We're not from here, that's true. But we mean no harm. We have a situation of our own that we're desperately trying to fix!"

"It's true, we came here upon finding some strange magic that allowed us to travel to this world from our own," the woman backed him up. "We think the answer we need is here."

"We're not involved in anything shady, honest to the goddesses," the cherry blonde man added. "We're just the opposite, in fact."

"Oh?" Frederick said. "I was wondering if you had come from another world. We're no strangers to that phenomenon."

"Oh dear..." Kelli uttered. "More otherworldly shenanigans... I'm so tired of them! And time travel too!"

"...Whoa, are you serious?" the cherry blonde man said. "I've had to deal with that confusing stuff way too much too! I totally hear you!"

"Oh, wow... That's...unusual to hear."

"Getting back to the situation at hand now," Frederick interrupted sternly. "Normally, I would be very hesitant to trust any of you. But these are extreme circumstances. Please, tell us who you are exactly. We shall introduce ourselves as well. I am Frederick, captain of the knights of this kingdom of Ylisse."

"Ah, we share a rank!" the taller man said. "I'm Judo, commander of the knights of Hyrule, the land we're from. This is my wife and her cousin. They're retainers to Hyrule's royal family. Link is also the husband of our princess."

"I'm Kelli," the woman introduced. "As you can see, we're more or less vassals of our kingdom."

"It's true. We've fought our fair share of powerful monsters and other enemies too," Link added.

"...Kelli?!" the Kelli atop Twilight had gasped. "That...that's my name as well! Definitely very unusual. I am Frederick's wife and the tactician of the Ylisse army. This other man is Ralph, a close family friend and one of the knights here."

"Nice to meet you!" Ralph commented with a smile. "I'm glad you're no enemy and that we can meet on friendly terms!"

"You share my name..." the new Kelli commented. "I agree, that is weird. But fascinating at the same time! Who knew the same name could be found in different worlds."

"Yes, that's great and all, but we still have no idea where the girls are!" Judo pointed out and then turned to Frederick and Ralph. "You're knights like me, so I feel comfortable telling you everything, if you can help us. My daughter, Mayula, and Link's daughter, Emerald, vanished from our castle courtyard not long ago. It was apparently some large flash of light that took them, and our research on the magic led us here. Our princess, Zelda, is adept at magic and was able to come up with a spell to create a portal that had a similar effect. We entered it, and here we are."

"I see... Wait, a flash of light took your children?!" Frederick cried. "That...that can't be a coincidence!"

"Oh my gods! That's what took Morgan, Frederick!" the Ylissean Kelli remembered. "Yes, these incidents have to be connected! Our son disappeared earlier as well!"

"Whoa," Link commented. "That is crazy. I think you're right though. But if that flash of light in Hyrule was a portal to this world, then... Was Morgan taken to our world?"

"That's a good question," the Hyrulean Kelli said. "We'll just have to keep looking for more clues. We're so glad we ran into all of you though. Now we can work together!"

"Yes, this is most fortunate," Frederick agreed. "I do believe working as allies is the best idea. Our son disappeared almost an hour ago. When did your daughters vanish?"

"At...around the same time, actually," Judo pointed out. "I was surprised it didn't take Zelda longer to find the spell she used. The problem is...she has no idea how to use it to bring us home when this is over. I really hope you guys can help us find another way."

"Oh no," Ralph said. "Well, we'll do our best."

"Indeed," Frederick said. "But if all three children disappeared at the same time...then...this is the work of more than one perpetrator. Multiple people are working together."

"Oh goddesses..." Judo uttered. "May..."

"Damn," Link fumed. "We have to find something soon!"

"I agree," Ylissean Kelli said. "Though...your ears. All of you have...ears we've never seen before. What's up with that?"

"Ah," Hyrulean Kelli replied. "They are the prominent feature of our race, the Hylians. We have these ears so in times of need, we can hear the goddesses, should we need to ask for their help or guidance. We were apparently created by the goddesses themselves, in fact."

"Wow..." Ralph commented. "This is really interesting!"

"We have gods as well," Frederick said. "However, yours sound quite different indeed. Well, let us go back to Ylisstol, the city before you, and search for more clues. Your world seems to not be as familiar with otherworldly travel as we are, so I have a feeling that whoever is responsible originally came from here."

"Yeah," Ylissean Kelli agreed. "The thing is, why do they want our children? And why two from one world and one from another?"

"I don't know..." Frederick admitted. "That's what we have to find out. Firstly however, we have to send a report to our king and queen detailing you three and what we've found out. They'll be pleased to know that we have a solid lead."

"That works, "Judo replied.

"Oh yeah, and again, that flying horse!" Link said. "We've never seen such a thing!"

"I think it's a lovely creature though!" Hyrulean Kelli commented.

"Oh, thank you!" Ylissean Kelli replied with a smile. "It's called a Pegasus. They're fairly commonly used as war mounts here. However, they have an unusual habit of only allowing women to be their masters. I don't really know why."

"Huh, weird," Link said, raising an eyebrow. "Well, we don't know this land, so you guys will have to lead us."

"Indeed," Frederick agreed. The group then started making for Ylisstol, eager to report their findings. Judo then cracked a goofy smile as they began traveling.

"Yeah," he added. "We do have to follow the lead! Hahaha!"

Ralph chuckled at Judo's pun, as did Hyrulean Kelli and Link. Ylissean Kelli cracked a smile, but Frederick was hardly amused.

"Are you seriously jesting in this time of crisis?" he spat.

"Oh, that's just my husband being himself," Hyrulean Kelli said. "Judo does this a lot, even in situations like this."

"He should be thinking of his child!" Frederick protested.

"Oh Frederick, calm down," Ylissean Kelli said.

"Yeah, chill," Judo said. "I know the situation is serious. I just believe it helps to lighten the mood a bit sometimes. But damn, for once can I meet someone new who doesn't have a problem with this...? I met this guy named Ike two years ago during another weird otherworldly excursion and he would not get off my case about joking around a lot and "not taking things seriously." We did eventually get along a little better in the end, but...I do not want to be in fights like those again."

"...What? You say you met the great Sir Ike, the Radiant Hero himself?!" Frederick gasped. Ralph and Ylissean Kelli had similar reactions.

"You know about him?" Judo replied, raising an eyebrow as his eyes widened a little. "I do remember he said he was a famous hero though..."

"Exactly. He was from another world, but we here know a lot about his deeds. What a coincidence that you've also met..."

"Huh... Yeah."

"Hey Judo, I'm fine with you telling a joke or two every now and then," Ralph stepped in. "You don't have to worry about me complaining."

"Ah, awesome," Judo said with a smile. "If we have to fight any enemies, you'll see more of it. I tend to do it on the battlefield as well. I can annoy and distract the enemy and have a bit of fun too."

"Wow, really? That's cool!"

"It...distracts enemies?" Frederick said. "Intriguing... That actually could be useful. I have little experience with humor though... Sir Judo, perhaps you could teach me this skill to use during battle! It may one day help me protect my liege and my family."

Judo blinked in astonishment.

"...Uh, really?" he uttered. "Wow, you sure did a one-eighty there. I don't know how to teach someone to tell jokes though. I just...do it. Though one thing I can tell you is that my jokes often involve a thing called puns. You know what a pun is, right? A play on words. It's what I used earlier as a joke."

"Ah, yes, I have heard of that. I shall have to give it a try sometime!" Frederick decided.

"Heh... You do that then."

Ralph then snickered.

"Oh wow. Frederick trying to tell a joke. This will be hilarious."

"Agreed," Ylissean Kelli seconded, also chuckling. Frederick always liked learning new things if he felt they could be beneficial to his duties, but this one was by far the most amusing, in more ways than one.

The group fell silent for a while after this, up until they were once again in the roads of Ylisstol. Judo, Link, and Hyrulean Kelli were in awe of how large it was. Castle Town in Hyrule was fairly sizeable, but it didn't compare to the vast city they beheld. They wondered if Ylisse itself was bigger than Hyrule. It wouldn't be surprising, as they had learned of other kingdoms that were larger.

Not long after arriving in the city, Ylissean Kelli gave their report to Cordelia who would relay it to Chrom and Olivia for the group. The royals were in for quite a story when she found them. The only question now was where to begin looking for clues next. The group pondered while awaiting Cordelia's return to give them the Exalt and queen's approval of their new allies. Frederick and Ylissean Kelli began to wonder if yet more Grimleal stragglers were involved. Due to Ylissean Kelli's history, Morgan had a rather distant connection to them. His mother had originally been born into the cult and was now hated by them. But why would they be interested in two children from another world? They weren't sure, but chose to mention the Grimleal to their new companions just in case. Needless to say, they were intrigued.

Cordelia returned within a few minutes with her news. She lowered her Pegasus to the others' level.

"Our Exalt and queen are pleased to have you helping us," she said with a smile. "They insist that we keep them informed, though."

"Ah, that's good to hear," Judo replied. "We can later tell them that Hyrule is also thankful for the aid."

"Indeed," Link agreed.

"Oh, Captain Cordelia, there you are!" one of the Pegasus knight recruits said, handing Cordelia a folded piece of parchment. "I just got handed this by one of the guards that was patrolling the town. He said the person he got it from asked for it to be given to Sir Frederick, Lady Kelli, and the "visitors with pointed ears." I've never seen anyone with any--"

The Pegasus knight paused when she noticed the ears of Judo, Link, and Hyrulean Kelli.

"...Oh. This is them!" she said. "Well, I'm glad I found all of you then."

Before the others could say anything, however, Cordelia gasped.

"Oh no! You guys have to hear this," she said and began to read. "If you want to see your children again, come to the woods west of the city, and follow the red light. But come alone!"

Everyone either gasped or shrieked at this alarming development.

"Oh, gods!" Ylissean Kelli cried. "Frederick, they all were captured!"

"Damn!" Frederick fumed. "It seems that the culprits wish to lure us into a trap of sorts. But we have to go. Please, everyone, be careful."

"Ugh..." Judo groaned. "I swear, if anyone harms a hair on those kids' heads, I'll..."

"Judo, don't do anything stupid," Hyrulean Kelli warned. "We can't fall into their trap."

"I know. Don't worry."

"I feel the same way, Judo, believe me," Link said.

The group then hurried to the western side of Ylisstol, with Link, Judo, and Hyrulean Kelli being allowed to share their new companions' mounts. Link rode with Ralph, the Kellis rode together, and Judo mounted Frederick's horse. Along the way, Link decided to inquire more about the cult known as the Grimleal that Ylissean Kelli had mentioned.

"This...cult you guys had mentioned. They were once very dangerous, I assume?" he said.

"Oh, they very much were," Ylissean Kelli explained. "They nearly destroyed the world...using me."

Link's eyes widened with shock, and Hyrulean Kelli's and Judo's had done the same.

"Yeah... You see, they worshiped a monstrous dragon deity named Grima," Ylissean Kelli continued. "I...had been his vessel. Until we destroyed him. No doubt, the Grimleal would love to have a way to bring him back regardless. Of course, there's no way they can do that without something that has the power to revive the dead. I doubt any children can help them with that though, so there has to be something else we're missing..."

At this, however, Link gasped again, this time more in fear than he ever had so far.

"Oh NO!" he said. "You might be wrong there. I think I know what the culprits are after!"

"What? Link, you can't be talking about..." Hyrulean Kelli started.

"Yeah. The Triforce."

"Damn it all," Judo fumed.

"What? What is this Triforce you speak of?" Frederick wondered.

"It's the divine relic the goddesses left behind when they created our world," Link replied. "Currently, it's split into three pieces due to some unusual circumstances that happened years ago. Our Kelli currently holds one piece, the Triforce of Courage. It's also the piece that I once had myself until some other events caused it to change hands. My wife holds another, the Triforce of Wisdom. And the third piece...it is actually locked away with its holder, who was an evil man that threatened our world until Zelda and I sealed him away in the realm in which the Triforce once sat. Whoever touches the Triforce will be granted any wish they desire, including bringing back the dead."

"...Holy cow," Ralph commented. "That kind of power sounds insane! It would be exactly what the Grimleal needs to bring back Grima!"

"Precisely," Link said.

"Another thing," Judo stepped in. "Each piece of the Triforce seems to be able to recognize multiple potential holders at one time, even if it does not leave its current holder the way the Triforce of Courage had. One time...I ended up unwittingly calling upon the piece that is sealed away in the Sacred Realm. It is the Triforce of Power. Momentarily, I was able to use it. But then it returned to its imprisoned owner."

"So this Triforce is based on three forces, power, wisdom, and courage," Ylissean Kelli said. "That seems straightforward enough. The kidnappers took your children to lure you and your Triforce pieces out here. And its power does sound terrifying! But this doesn't explain what Morgan's role in all this would be...unless... They want to make him a new vessel for Grima!"

"Gods, no!" Frederick cried. "I will not allow that to happen! We must hurry!"

"I agree. Because there's another threat this causes, but we'll have to explain it later," Link said. "We have no time to lose!"

The others were not hesitant to agree and move ever faster towards the woods they were directed to. And thankfully, it didn't take long for them to spot the area, as well as the red light that the note had mentioned. It was fairly small, but clear as day to see, as it was almost like a sharp beam.

"Oh, one thing we forgot to mention!" Judo spoke up. "My daughter has telekinetic powers. It's...a kind of complicated story. But if things go as planned, she won't end up causing a mess..."

"T-Telekinetic?" Frederick replied, stupefied. "That is unheard of around here. The only "powers" anyone here has are the magic tomes some use in combat or healing staves."

"Magic healing staves, huh? That has to be really convenient," Link commented.

"It is to a degree," Ylissean Kelli said. "But they have limits on their uses just like weapons, of course."

"I see," Hyrulean Kelli said. "And about May's powers...they're not incredibly strong...yet. But they can do more damage than you might think. That girl was a pain in the arse to control when she was smaller and first discovered her powers."

"Wow, I can imagine so..." Ylissean Kelli said.

"Hey, over there, you guys!" Ralph suddenly spoke up. He pointed to a path in the woods where the red beam of light was shown. It disappeared seconds later, making it clearer what Ralph had found down the path. There was a small clearing, with two hooded figures standing next to what appeared to be a large cage. Upon closer inspection, the group realized that sitting inside the cage...were all three children. Several gasps echoed in the area and one of the hooded figures rather quietly chuckled. The children soon noticed their parents and called for them.

"Mama! Daddy!" May cried.

"Daddy!" Emerald added.

"Mom, Dad!" Morgan shouted.

"Hold on, we'll get you out of there soon!" Link proclaimed.

"Heh heh, you all came. Excellent," one of the hooded figures said in a feminine voice. "Except... I expected that Hyrulean princess to be here too. Tch. But that doesn't change much, thankfully."

"Huh? Her voice..." Ralph said. "I know it from somewhere. Where did I hear it before?"

"Well, Zelda will not be appearing here at all!" Link proclaimed. "Let those children go this instant or I'll have my dark blade continue the talking!"

"Ah, yes, you wield dark power now rather than...what was it? The Master Sword?" the hooded woman said.

"Yeah, that's the one he used to have," the other hooded figure replied, in a lowish male voice.

"Something about his voice is familiar too," Judo noticed.

"Oh, of course you wouldn't forget entirely," the hooded man said. "I know I couldn't."

"Who are you?!" Frederick demanded. "Why is the Grimleal still trying to harm innocents?!"

"Ah, you figured it out. Then I think you already know the answer to that," the hooded woman said. "No need to hide our faces from you though, I suppose."

With that, the two dropped their hoods, revealing some shockingly familiar faces to all. Judo gasped the loudest.

"GARRICK?!" he shouted. "You heartless dastard!"

"That woman!" Ralph cried. "Fred, she was the one who cast that spell on me awhile back that made me lose my voice for awhile! I recognize her anywhere!"

"You guys know them?" Ylissean Kelli said in shock.

"Yeah," Hyrulean Kelli replied angrily. "Garrick was once a captain in Hyrule's royal guard, until he was discharged after some unacceptable behavior towards Judo and I. He's a sexist pig who thinks women can't be as strong as men."

"And I ran into that woman several months back when she complained to me that one of my songs ruined a hex or something that she was working on," Ralph explained. "I didn't know then that she was Grimleal. I still don't even know her name. But she said some weird incantation after, and some time later, I couldn't talk or even whisper, let alone sing! I am a royal singer at the palace and entertain many people when I can."

"And I still despise you for that!" the woman spat. "I'll give you my name though, so you can remember it. It's Vedette. The Triforce of Courage is already here and it's only a matter of time before the Triforce of Power automatically joins it through you, Judo. That Hyrulean princess may not be here, but her daughter is, and she will inherit the Triforce of Wisdom from her in due time! And I'll be the last Grimleal you fools ever see once the Triforce pieces unite and bring back Lord Grima!"

"You're out of your goddess-damned skull!" Link shouted. "Do you have any idea what you're really doing?!"

"Yeah, Grima will destroy this world just as he attempted before!" Ylissean Kelli added.

"Not just that," Link continued. "It's also what I mentioned before, about there being another threat. The Triforce is not only a divine relic, it protects Hyrule! If the Triforce is removed from my world for too long, the kingdom will fall into dismay! Hyrule will be lost!"

"What?!" Frederick, Ralph, and Ylissean Kelli all cried at the same time.

"Hold on, are you serious?!" Garrick gasped. "Vedette, you never said anything about threatening Hyrule!"

"Ah, that must've been one piece of information I missed," Vedette realized. "No matter though, Hyrule was so annoying to be in anyway. I'd rather bring back Lord Grima."

"W...What?" Garrick uttered. All of a sudden, he was in complete disbelief at what he was hearing. All he expected was to get a little revenge on those who had him thrown out of the Hyrulean army. Now he was effectively helping to destroy not one, but two worlds, one of which was his own.

"I-I will not help you destroy Hyrule!" Garrick continued to protest. "Or this world! I did not sign up for that!"

"You try to turn against me now, you fool?" Vedette retorted. "Ha! You are my slave. If you value your pitiful life, you will work for me until I say you're finished! Or else you're at mercy of my magic."

Vedette made no hesitation to allow a dark aura to envelope one of her hands and use it on Garrick in an instant. He gasped and fell to his knees as he began to feel some of his strength drain from him.

"And that was just a preview of what I can do to you," Vedette continued and then turned to the group.

"You think you can take all of us on by yourself?" Judo said with a laugh. "You're an even bigger fool than he is."

"Oh, trust me, I know what I'm doing."

Garrick, meanwhile, was struggling to return to his feet. He slowly stood up a moment later.

"I won't be by myself, on the contrary," Vedette continued. "I can easily summon help another spell. Remember...the Risen?"

"What?!" Ylissean Kelli gasped. "That's impossible, only Grima himself could summon those!"

"Not anymore. I found a way to do it without him," Vedette revealed. "Now prepare to face your--!

Suddenly, her mouth dropped open and she let out a choking gasp. The others looked down to find a blade protruding from her torso...and Garrick's hand on one end of it. He then ripped it out of her with a spatter of blood streaking across his clothes. Vedette slowly collapsed to the ground, her death near instant as she took her last breath as soon as she landed. The others could only gape in astonishment upon witnessing this.

"Whoa," Judo said. "Garrick... How did...?"

"Yeah," Garrick said. "She had a dagger sheathed on her leg. May snuck it out with her power and handed it to me when I noticed it and began trying to take it out of the sheath myself. Did you honestly think I would turn against Hyrule like that?"

"Well... No, I suppose that would be unrealistic."

"Hey, I can open the door!" May shouted as her eyes lit up with a white light and the lock on the cage door suddenly clicked open. "I couldn't do it before. I don't know why."

"Vedette had cast magic on it to prevent you from doing so," Garrick explained. "Her death must've broken the spell. I'm...sorry for what I did. I did not want anyone to be hurt, little ones."

"Well, everything is okay now!" Emerald replied and then ran to Link. "Daddy!"

"I'm so glad you're safe, Emerald!" he said, kneeling to his daughter's level and wrapping his arms around her.

Morgan jumped into Frederick's arms as both he and Ylissean Kelli embraced their son. May used her power to hover herself into Judo's arms and then her mother's.

"We're glad everyone is safe," Frederick said.

"Indeed," Judo replied. "Now Garrick..."

"Judo, you and the others probably won't forgive me," Garrick continued. "I wouldn't forgive me either after all this. But I truly am sorry. I had no idea what that woman was really doing. I absolutely never wanted to destroy any worlds, let alone Hyrule."

"Hey, I believe you," Judo assured.

"Us too," Hyrulean Kelli said for herself and Link. "We're just glad you and May did what you did. That woman was about to throw some kind of weird army at us, by the sound of it."

"Yes, the Risen," Frederick said. "They were undead warriors that we fought during the war against Grima. No doubt we would have had a serious battle on our hands had Garrick and May not stepped in. My wife and I are grateful to you both."

"Thanks, but please, I don't really deserve it," Garrick said.

"Hey, Garrick," Judo spoke up again. "You did kind of save two worlds here though. Maybe...just maybe, I can see about getting you reinstated in the royal guard."

"...What? But...would King Daphnes and Princess Zelda really take me back?"

"If we tell them of your heroics, I don't see why not. And it sounds like you're changing from your old ways."

Judo then shot him a smile.

"...Heh, I suppose I kind of am. Though I'm still unsure about a woman being as strong as a man...with a sword," Garrick replied. "Magic is another story entirely! Good goddesses! I thought that woman was going to rip my insides out with that crazy spell! Now I'll have to view Princess Zelda's magic in a whole new light..."

Hyrulean Kelli chuckled.

"Well, it is a start! Heh heh."

"Hey, what's this?" Ralph inquired, having noticed something in a satchel on Vedette's waist. He held up what appeared to be a tome, but it wasn't a dark tome or any other kind of familiar magic tome. Ralph opened it to see the inside.

"Outrealm Tome," he read aloud. "Wait, OUTREALM TOME?! That's how she got to Hyrule?!"

"Hey, wait up, that's mine!" another female voice suddenly shouted. "That woman you killed stole it from me!"

Rushing up to the group was a woman with a red ponytail and dressed in clothing typical of an Ylissean mage.

"Ah, sorry. I'm--"

"Anna," Frederick deduced. "We...er, already know. We've met...your sisters before."

"Oh, yes! My many sisters," Anna recalled. "Of course! But anyway, as I said, that tome is mine. I crafted it to make Outrealm travel easier for tourists and warriors alike."

"Hold up, Outrealm?" Link wondered, raising an eyebrow.

"Ah, you're travelers from the world that woman used the tome to go to, I'm guessing," Anna presumed as Ralph handed her the tome. "Yes, the Outrealms are the gates to other worlds. They can lead you to an endless number of worlds, and even other timelines in the same world! I didn't imagine that my tome would cause so much trouble though. I am dreadfully sorry!"

"Whoa..." was all Link could utter.

"That's...rather incredible," Judo commented.

"Yeah! That means there could be literally thousands of worlds and timelines out there..." Hyrulean Kelli imagined. "Amazing."

"Yep!" Anna commented. "Well, I must be on my way. I have to find a way to secure this tome better so something like this doesn't happen again. Ta ta!"

"Wait, hold on!" Judo interrupted. "I'm sorry to ask this, but...we have no way of returning home. Do you think you could help us?"

"Ah, I sure can," Anna agreed with a wink. "Just let me know when you're ready."

"Well, this has been a crazy adventure," Link said. "But yeah, it is time we returned home. My wife is probably worried sick."

"I can imagine, but I have one request first," Frederick said. "Sir Judo, listen to this. I believe I'm figuring out your jesting skill."

"Oh? You think so, huh? Well, let's hear it!" Judo replied. The others quietly chuckled, not imagining someone like Frederick to be able to be as cleverly funny as Judo, who was revered as a comedy king of sorts in his homeland.

"Well, say he holds that tome for Anna," Frederick began, gesturing at Link. "We'd then have...a Link between worlds!"

At this, not only did the others blink in amazed silence, Judo did too. Frederick couldn't help but allow a large grin to plaster his face.

"...Oh my goddess, that is clever!" Judo finally said and broke out into laughter. "Good job! I guess I did sorta teach you after all!"

"Woohoo... Did it have to be a joke about me?" Link grumbled. "I already have to deal with Judo's "sausage Link" nonsense."

"Oh don't be a party pooper," Hyrulean Kelli retorted.

"Frederick, I am seriously impressed!" Ylissean Kelli commented, chuckling.

"Me too!" Judo said. "And that is saying something coming from me."

"Ah, I'm glad I could do it," Frederick said happily. "And all this time, I thought my heart had no room for humor... By the way... Sir Judo, I have also noticed that you have the appearance of a well-trained warrior. By just looking at your body, I can sense the immense strength it carries. I would be honored if you'd also grant me a spar before you go."

"Oh, I'd be delighted! You look very strong yourself, Frederick," Judo replied. "Think you can give us a few minutes, Anna?"

"Oh, sure! I'm in no hurry," Anna agreed, giving the gang another wink.

"Great!"

With that, the group moved away from the woods to give Frederick and Judo some space. Though the Hylian trio was soon to depart, one thing was clear. Even if they never saw the Ylisseans again, there would remain a lasting friendship and alliance.

This one takes place after the last one as well, actually, and it was for Halloween last year. 🙂

A Trick for no Treat

“May, this is so much fun!” a young cherry blonde girl, no more than ten years old, said to her similarly aged female companion. “I’m so glad our parents finally let us see the Great Hyrule Harvest festival on our own this year!”

“Yeah! I’m having a blast, Emmy!” Mayula agreed. “And I convinced my mom to let me dress up as her coolest-looking enemy!”

Emerald was garbed in a purple fairy costume, complete with fake butterfly-like wings. Mayula had a dragon costume with silver “armor” and a serrated wooden sword, also complete with fake wings and a tail. Her long dusty brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail.

The girls were reveling in the decorated and bustling Hyrule Castle Town festivities. Orange and gold streamers hung from buildings and posts, pumpkins with spooky faces carved into them lined the streets, and various vendors had come to sell and show off their harvests of fruits and vegetables. The festival attractions included apple-bobbing, haunted house walk-throughs, and contests. Many people were dressed in various costumes as well, and adults gave children candy and other sweet treats. Hyrule itself had small farms, and not a large number due to being a somewhat small kingdom, but it didn’t prevent those farms’ owners from attending or even farmers from outside the kingdom from showing up either. A few lived close by and weren’t part of any other land. They didn’t mind being called honorary Hyruleans anyway.

Both Emerald and Mayula carried buckets that matched their costumes themselves, and they were both filling up fast with treats.

“I know the Dragolfos is one of the most dangerous monsters to have ever existed, but it sure makes a great costume!” Mayula continued.

“And that cute stuffed toy we still have of it too!” Emerald agreed.

“Yeah, though even that made my mom uneasy. She doesn’t at all like being reminded of the Dragolfos and I totally get why. But at least she understands that I just want to have fun. Glad I have my dad to rub off on her! Heh heh.”

“Yeah! Though sometimes I wish my dad would take a page out of his book too. I swear, he can have fun one minute, but then turn into a complete party pooper the next!”

“Heh, well, I guess that’s just Sir Link for you. At least he does have fun sometimes, right?”

“Yeah, true.”

May soon spotted a black cat decoration sitting at one of the haunted house attractions. It had green eyes that appeared to glow and was holding its paws up as if to pounce on something.

“Ohhh! I just got an idea for the best prank to play on my dad!” she cried. “I could also play it on yours at the same time, Emmy!”

“Huh?” Emerald wondered.

Mayula then excitedly whispered something into her best friend’s ear.

“Wow,” Emerald began when Mayula was done. “I don’t know, are you sure that isn’t going a bit far? And you know how my dad is with stuff like this. Your dad might laugh until he falls over, but mine…”

“Oh, it’ll be fine! They can’t really take this one that seriously,” Mayula surmised. “First though, we have to join back up with them. It’ll be better if we can get them into that haunted house with us. Dad got me good with that jumping spider thing earlier, but I’m going to win the comedy battle this time!”

“Alright then…”

Emerald was still uneasy over the prank Mayula had suggested, but chose to take her friend’s word for it as they began looking for their parents. May loved her father’s comedic habits and dreamed of being as good at humor as he was. Emerald could only hope May knew what she was doing.

Fortunately, they found that their parents weren’t far away, browsing a vendor just a few stands down from them. The two fathers were dressed in a white bandage body suit and an outfit resembling a menacing wolf. The white bandage costume was surely a Gibdo costume, which was a monster that resembled a mummy. And the man in this outfit had a matching mask hanging on the side of his head. The wolf suit included a mask with fake wolf ears attached, fake fangs, and clawed gloves. The mothers wore a zombie outfit and a vampire suit, with the latter using a tight skirt with leggings instead of pants. As the girls approached them, Mayula’s father, the one in the werewolf costume, had spoken up.

“Okay, two pumpkins are playing a game and eventually, one of them beats the other by a good margin,” he began, with May smiling, as she knew where this was going. “The pumpkin that won then says to the other “You just got squashed!””

With that, he busted out laughing, as did the woman in the vampire outfit. Their companions chuckled as well.

“I just now came up with that,” May’s father continued.

“Ha! Nice one, Judo!” the other man complimented.

“Why thank you, Link,” Judo replied, giving a comical bow.

“Hahaha! That was really funny, Dad!” May stepped in.

“Yeah, I always forget pumpkins and squash are like each other!” Emerald added, also giggling.

“Oh, May and Emerald! Thank you too,” Judo greeted his daughter and her friend.

“I’m still surprised you didn’t dress up as a clown or jester,” the woman in the vampire costume commented with a grin.

“Heh, like I said, Kel, a werewolf is cooler,” Judo reminded her. “I’m not sure King Daphnes would’ve approved of me running around in a clown or jester outfit anyway, as funny as that would be.”

“No, my father certainly would not,” the other woman confirmed, bringing her hands to her hips. “Regardless of your skills in making others laugh.”

“Yeah, I thought so. Though Zelda, it’d only be in good fun, I’m not really becoming a jester.”

“No, but we don’t need anyone wondering how “this guy” is leader of Hyrule’s knights.”

“Heh, true enough.”

Judo then turned to Emerald and Mayula.

“So, are you girls enjoying your first time exploring the festival by yourselves?” he wondered with a big smile.

“We sure are, Dad!” May confirmed excitedly. “The haunted houses are great!”

“Yeah, Mommy, Daddy, our buckets are half full of candy too!” Emerald added. “Though I don’t really like getting scared, some of the stuff in the haunted houses was neat.”

“My favorite part was that Redead zombie that looked like he was about to eat a guy’s head right off his shoulders!” May added. “That was awesome!”

“Ugh, those always creeped me the heck out,” Link commented. “I never want to fight them again.”

“Heh, says the guy wearing a Gibdo costume,” Kelli countered. “They behaved the exact same way, you know.”

“Yeah, well, just because I thought they were the freakiest things in Hyrule history doesn’t mean I don’t think it’d be neat to dress up as one! And to be honest, I do think Gibdos looked a little less creepy.”

“Well, anyway, good to hear you both are having so much fun!” Zelda said with a smile. “You’re staying where a guard can always see you, just as you were told, I hope.”

“Yes, especially when you both have been targets in the past,” Kelli added.

“Don’t worry, Mama, we are,” Mayula assured. “But hey, can we all go check out that haunted house over there? I don’t think any of us have gone in it yet and since we’re all here now, we can go together.”

Mayula then pointed to the one with the cat decoration she had seen before.

“Oh, sure! I don’t see why not,” Judo agreed with a smile. The others were also fine with the idea and then group then made their way over to the haunted house, which was on the western side of the festival. Mayula gradually let herself fall behind the others so she could secretly approach the woman who was running the attraction and quietly ask her a small favor. The woman was happy to oblige, to May’s excitement. She then motioned Emerald to stay quiet and not draw attention to her as she executed her plan.

Meanwhile, Link, Zelda, Kelli, and Judo began exploring the first room of the house, which was filled with artificial skeletons, spiders, and cobwebs, as well as dusty-looking furniture and spooky moaning noises. More scary-faced pumpkins were present as well. Link and Judo began viewing two skeletons who were seated at a decrepit old tea table and made to appear to be sipping some tea. Zelda, Emerald, and Kelli had their backs turned as they gave their attention to another skeleton dressed like a maid. Suddenly, a moan that also sounded like a slow cat meow came up behind the men.

“Mrowww…”

Judo and Link turned around to see what was a floating white mass partly in the shape of a cat’s head and front paws and froze.

“I am the soul…of Hero… Speaking through spiritual powerrr…” the strange voice continued.

Judo jumped backward and fell to the floor.

“AAIIIIIEE!!”

“WHAT THE--?!” Link gasped.

Zelda, Emerald, and Kelli turned as well to see the two looking a little pale and Judo still on the floor. He stood up when a young feminine voice burst into laughter and the floating cat-shaped mass was gradually lowered. May was found behind a nearby door, rolling on the floor.

“OH MAN! You should’ve seen your faces!” she said between laughs.

Judo and Link could only look at each other in astonishment for a moment.

“Oh my goodness,” Zelda commented.

“Indeed,” Kelli agreed, beginning to chuckle herself.

“Seriously?!” Link finally retorted a moment later.

“Wow,” Judo said, a smile finally cracking his own features.

“Judo, did your daughter really just use her telekinetic powers to fake my cat’s death and take advantage of your fear of cats all for a prank?” Link inquired.

“Fake your cat’s death? Come on now, I wouldn’t go that far.”

“What? You don’t think she crossed the line a little here? She pretended a pet was dead and made a joke out of your phobia!”

“Oh put a sock in it. She wasn’t really trying to make you think Hero was dead! She did use my phobia though…”

“I still don’t appreciate it. Though at least I didn’t shriek like an idiot.”

“Hey! A phobia isn’t easy to deal with! My worst nightmare is probably a giant black cat with glowing green eyes that has the power to destroy anything it touches!”

“Yeah, sooo scary.”

“It completely is! And you never really got over Dark Kelli, did you? You know exactly what I’m talking about.”

“Oh, you did not just go there!”

“And point made.”

“Come on, you guys!” Kelli stepped in. “Aren’t we having fun anymore?”

“Yes, knock it off,” Zelda added. “We’re still in a festival.”

By this time, Mayula felt like tears were about to build up in her eyes.

“I…I guess you were right, Emmy,” she admitted. “Maybe I did go too far this time. I didn’t mean to make anyone mad. I’m really sorry, Dad… I was just trying to be extra funny this time…”

With that, she walked away and used her power to return the cat decoration and white sheet she’d placed over it to the woman running the haunted house.

“Huh? May, hold on,” Judo said, following his daughter. “Here, let’s talk outside so we don’t get in anyone’s way.”

“Oh, okay…”

Judo then knelt to Mayula’s level and gave her a gentle smile.

“Sorry you had to see that in there,” he apologized. “But Link and I weren’t mad at you. Or at least, Link better not be mad at you. Anyway, I know you were just answering the jumping spider from earlier. And actually, I think your prank was clever! You outdid yourself!”

“Oh, really, Dad?” May replied excitedly. “Even though I used your phobia? And I didn’t know Link would think I was trying to make him believe Hero was dead… I feel most bad about that one.”

“Definitely! Link just overreacted a little, honestly. And as for phobias…yeah, they unfortunately can be serious for some people, and you’ll need to be careful about that. With me, it’s not a problem, but for others, phobias can negatively impact their lives. And that’s something you shouldn’t joke about. There’s a time and place for everything, after all. Joke and prank responsibly, sweetheart!”

“Ha ha, yes, Dad! I feel better now.”

“Heh, that’s good! And also, I have to say I am proud of my daughter’s sense of humor!”

“Aw, thanks, Dad!”

With that, Mayula buried herself into her father’s torso for a big hug. Judo happily returned it.

As they embraced, the others followed them outside to check on them. Link spoke first.

“Hey, May, are you okay?” he wondered. “I’m sorry I took your prank the wrong way. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. I guess I sometimes forget about the comedy wars you and your dad love having and that the rest of us could end up in the crossfire every now and then. Heh.”

“Oh, I’m okay after talking with my dad. Thanks!” Mayula replied with a smile.

“That’s good. But just so you know, there are still lines you should not cross when it comes to joking and pranks and I still kind of think you came too close for comfort. There are just things you shouldn’t joke about. I hope Judo told you this.”

“Oh yeah, he did, and I understand now. I will be careful!”

“Glad to hear that! And I admit, I can’t believe Judo and I got owned by a ten-year-old.”

“Well, that’s interesting, coming from you,” Zelda commented with a smirk. “Ganondorf must’ve felt the same then.”

Link’s eyes widened at the realization his wife just made him come to.

“…Damn it,” he uttered, bringing a hand to his face. He’d forgotten that he was technically ten years old when he defeated the evil Gerudo king, despite having used an adult body in the actual battle.

“OHH! And you just got owned there again, my friend!” Judo said with a goofy grin. Mayula and Emerald both giggled.

“Shut up!” Link retorted.

Nice one, Zelda!” Kelli added with a chuckle. “Glad we’ve settled the prank issue too. Now shall we go back into the haunted house? We didn’t finish seeing all of it.”

“My pleasure,” Zelda replied with a curtsy almost as comical as one of Judo’s bows would be. “And of course!”

In this next one, we're going back in time quite a bit, to even before the first one-shot in here. In fact, it's also a prequel to The Ancient Power.

Demons of the Past

“Hey Conan, knock knock!” a dusty brown-haired young man said to his friend as the two sat down for a break, a goofy grin on his face. They had been working out and sparring in Hyrule Castle’s training hall.

“Yes, Judo, who is it?” the ebony-haired man, also young, replied with a smile.    

“Yah.”  

“Yah wh—oh seriously, Judo.”   

“YAHOO!” Judo suddenly bellowed, swinging his head backward and raising his fists in excitement.

Conan could only snicker to himself as he brought a hand to his face and playfully shook his head. Some of the other knights and soldiers present in the hall as well had been startled by or heard Judo’s comedic outburst and had mixed reactions. A few chuckled, while some others sighed or rolled their eyes. One muttered something along the lines of “what could’ve made Aldin want that clown to lead us?”

“I should’ve seen that one coming,” Conan then spoke up. “Judo, are you sure you’re not getting a little too excited?”

“Are you kidding?!” Judo replied, neglecting to pay attention to any of his fellow Hyrulean troops. “Kelli’s finally coming back! It’s been seven years… Oh, I want to see her again so bad. To show her what I’ve done here. To pick up where we left off and hang out again. She’s my best friend, remember?”

“Yeah, I totally get that,” Conan said. “You’ve told me all about how close you two were as kids. And how that crazy discovery right outside Kakariko Village led her to go to Mayia to train and study and all that.”

“Exactly. And I’m so proud of her. She’s a heroine in all of Mayia now after what she accomplished over there. I want to tell her that, and to see if she’s proud of me too.”

“Oh, I bet she will be. Judo, you command the knights of Hyrule now! There’s no greater position or honor in Hyrule’s military. You’re practically second to the royal family themselves. And on top of that, you earned the privilege to wield the greatest treasure in the history of the knights! Many would be honored just to see that sword, let alone touch or use it!”

“Ah, yeah… I could definitely get used wielding Orion. It’s a spectacular sword. I don’t know if I’m ready to tell Kelli about being a general yet though. I’m still learning this job and getting used to being called General at all. And some of our men protested my promotion. I myself am not even sure why General Aldin chose me as his successor. I just know how to swing a sword, punch somebody, and make people laugh. I don’t know the first thing about leading. Though before he died, Aldin did say he wanted to train me to lead. I thought he was joking.”

“Well, Judo, I’d say it’s because of your strength and resolve. When you want something, you work your ass off to get it. You’ve lost more than one important person in your life, and you wanted power so you could protect your remaining loved ones, as well as do something with yourself that Kelli could be proud of. So, you worked and trained almost every day to get that power, and then you succeeded. You’ve never lost a fight here in your time as a knight! Your talent with the blade and your brute strength have set you apart from the rest of Hyrule’s military. And when Kelli sees you now, she has to be amazed.”

“Well, sure, but being strong and powerful doesn’t make you a good leader.”

“No, but like I said, there’s also your resolve and you making sure you reach your goals. Aldin knew you had the willpower and potential to grow into a great leader. Because you have the necessary foundation for it. You want to show that he did indeed make the right choice, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I definitely don’t want to let him down. I promised him I would do my best to live up to his expectations.”

“Uh huh. And when you want it, Judo, you can sure as heck make sure you get it.”

“Yeah, I see what you’re saying. But are you really sure? You seem to be the one with the knowledge for this,” Judo pointed out. “I’d say Aldin should’ve considered you for the position.”

“Well, he picked you,” Conan replied. “He thought you had the most potential out of all of us. And I think you do too. In addition to what I’ve already said, you’ve shown more than anybody else I know that you’re someone people feel very safe around and can look up to and admire.”

“Pfft, tell that to all the troops throwing tantrums over this.”

“Oh, they don’t know what they’re talking about. They don’t know you like I do. Or like Aldin did.”

“Easy for you to say. But we’ll see. I’m so glad I made you the new deputy commander though. You always have the best advice, Conan, and you’ve been there for me practically since we met.”

“Heh, I just try to be a good friend, though I appreciate it all the same. Still can’t believe how long Aldin went without appointing another one himself though.”

“Yeah, we know the previous one had to retire early from a bad injury, but that’s it. And speaking of retirees, I still can’t believe Eisen retired too. Not only did we have to get a new general for the knights, but the royal guard now needs one as well.”

“Indeed. He was getting up there in years, and I get that Aldin’s death has been hard on him since they worked together for a long time. But the timing is interesting, to say the least. I wonder who His Majesty intends to replace him with…”

“Yeah, so do I…”

“Ah, General Judo, sir! There you are!” another familiar voice spoke up. A red-orange haired young man with a few freckles had entered the hall and was making his way towards Judo and Conan. Suddenly though, just after the man turned a corner, he found himself colliding with a rack of small weights and knocking a few of them to the floor. Nearby soldiers jumped, with one of them having to side step one of the falling weights.

“Ohhh, darn it!” the man cried in annoyance with himself.

“What the hell, Peeve!” the soldier that narrowly avoided a weight plunging into his foot opined. “That’s the third time this week you’ve made a mess in the castle somewhere! And you almost crushed my foot with that ten-pound weight! You seriously need to be more careful!”

“Y-Yeah… I’m so sorry,” Peeve somberly apologized and picked up the weights as quickly as he could. The soldier gave him a hand despite his irritation.

Once they finished, Peeve resumed his main task and approached Judo and Conan.

“Sorry about all that,” he said. “I’m so clumsy sometimes… I’m lucky I have job at all…”

“Heh, well, you’re still good at what you do, Peeve,” Conan encouraged. “Even if you’re a bit klutzy and not always the most focused person around here.”

“Yeah, no worries,” Judo added. “Your services as the royal messenger are invaluable. So what’s up?”

“Ah, thanks,” Peeve replied with a smile. “I try my best! But right, I can’t forget why I came down here. General Judo, His Majesty wishes to see you and sent me to let you know. He says he has some very important news. He may have a small mission for you too.”

“Oh? Huh, I wonder what that’s all about,” Judo replied, raising an eyebrow. “Alright, I’ll be up there in a few minutes. I guess I better go change, Conan.”

“Okay, I’ll see you later then,” Conan replied.

With that, Judo departed the hall to retreat to his chambers in the barracks. He had just been in his pants and boots with no shirt since he’d just been taking some swings at the punching bag and other exercising. Judo not only trained with a sword, he also liked learning some hand-to-hand combat. It was helpful if he was ever disarmed in a fight or didn’t have another weapon on hand for any other reason. As he donned his dark blue and red battle tunic, silvery blue ornate armor, and white cape, the knight general wondered what exactly King Daphnes had to tell him. Was it something involving Kelli’s return? Was she delayed for some reason? Judo desperately hoped this wasn’t the case. He’d already waited long enough to see his most cherished friend again.

She’s supposed to be starting the journey back home today or tomorrow, Judo noted in his mind. She shouldn’t be forced to put that off any longer.

He couldn’t imagine why she’d have to be delayed anyway. Kelli surely wanted to see him again just as much as he wanted to see her. When they parted seven years before, the two were literally in tears. Kelli had been saddled with a mysterious sword and shield whose power was unknown to anyone around them, and as a result it was too dangerous for her to stay at the time. As much as the two friends didn’t want to leave each other, destiny called one of them away.

Whatever it was that Daphnes needed Judo for, he couldn’t let his mind wander too much. Now that he was a general, the king would be relying on him for so much more than usual. As soon as Judo finished suiting up, he headed for the throne room where King Daphnes and his daughter, Princess Zelda, awaited. As he approached the large doors to the room, Judo felt his heart race a bit. He crossed his fingers hoping to hear good news rather than bad if it involved Kelli at all.

“Hello, your Majesty, your Highness,” Judo greeted when he stepped inside and approached the royal duo. He took a small bow as he spoke.

“I was told you needed me,” he continued. Judo then noticed another man besides Daphnes himself was in the room. He had red hair, part of which was tied into a short ponytail at his neck and was dressed in an elaborate royal guard uniform. The uniform’s colors were the same as those of Judo’s tunic, but the outfit itself was a very different style and it came with different armor. Judo wasn’t sure who this man was, but for some reason, he seemed…familiar.

“Hey there, Judo,” the regal and blonde young woman known as Princess Zelda greeted. “I’m glad Peeve notified you as quickly as he did.”

“Yes, as there is much for us to discuss at the moment,” Daphnes added.

“Your Majesty, is it about Kelli? She’s not going to be late or anything, is she?” Judo immediately wondered. “I’m sorry to ask, but…”

“I understand, Judo,” Daphnes replied. “Don’t worry, Kelli is still on schedule as far as I know and should be departing Mayia very soon. However…”

“What’s going on? And who is this?” Judo inquired, gesturing to the unknown man.

“Well, before I go more into detail on Kelli’s current situation, I would like to introduce you to this young man. He will be our new general for the royal guard,” Daphnes replied. “One of Eisen’s reasons for retiring was so you can work with someone close to your own age when the need arises. This way, you two can help each other learn and grow as our military leaders.”

“Heh. Hello, Judo,” the man replied, with a grin that seemed somewhat devious. “Fancy meeting you here.”

“…Huh? What do you mean?” Judo wondered, arching an eyebrow.

“Psh. Figures you wouldn’t remember me,” the man continued. “I certainly remember you, and not very fondly.”

“Sir Ryo, you know Judo already?” Zelda inquired. Daphnes found his eyebrows raising upon this revelation.

“Wait, what?!” Judo gasped. “Ryo?! No… It can’t be.”

“Oh, so you do remember!” Ryo commented cockily. “I figured there was nothing left of me in that memory of yours after all this time. You probably never expected that you’d have to deal with me again.”

At this, Judo growled and turned to Daphnes.

“Your Majesty, with all due respect, this…this just cannot work,” he somberly insisted.

“I must admit, I am confused at what has suddenly transpired here…” Daphnes replied. “I had no idea you two had history. But shouldn’t this make it even easier for you to be partners?”

“You’d think,” Ryo said. “Except he decided years ago that I no longer exist!”

“That is NOT true!” Judo retorted, his blood beginning to boil, but doing his best to keep his temper in check. “I apologize, your Majesty. Ryo and I…we do have history, yes. Deep in our past, even before I met Kelli. Our parents knew one another and we used to play together when we were little. We were friends…”

“Until you decided to ditch me for that…that girl!” Ryo finished, doing all he could to refrain from using more inappropriate terminology in front of the king and princess. “What was totally so special about her I’ll never figure out!”

“Hey! You insult Kelli and you can be sure as hell I’ll make you regret it!”

“Both of you, calm yourselves,” Daphnes ordered. “I was not expecting to see my newest generals erupt into an argument. But I won’t be changing your positions just because, and it appears you two have things you need to work out. I advise you to go somewhere and talk.”

“Oh… Yes, I apologize again…” Judo replied, sighing with disappointment in himself. “It was not right of me to behave that way.”

“Oh, us having “things to work out” is an understatement,” Ryo said. “But my apologies as well. I am willing to at least try to work those issues out with Judo for yours and Princess Zelda’s sakes, your Majesty, as well as for the sake of our troops.”

“Same for me,” Judo agreed.

“Good to hear,” Daphnes implied. “Now, Judo, Peeve also told you that I may have a task for you, correct?”

“Yes, he did.”

“Well, while I am fully aware of your close friendship with Kelli and how much you desire to meet her when she arrives here, I’m afraid that this mission will most certainly delay that meeting for you if I do indeed send you on it.”

“What? No… Ugh…”

“I do apologize for the inconvenience. But it is important. Recently, we’ve gotten reports from Mayia that there’ve been some strange incidents going on there. Their military is currently investigating and Kelli is doing what she can to help while preparing for her return trip here,” Daphnes explained. “But there’s a chance that they’ll need our help and our knights are best equipped to make the journey out there and back in a timely and reasonable fashion. And more likely than not, Kelli will already be on her way here by the time you arrive.”

“I…see,” Judo replied, though a lump was now forming in his throat. “On my honor as a knight, I will do what I must.”

“Good. Also, I believe I should also let you know that when Kelli does arrive, I have a task for her as well. You’ve heard of the young hero named Link, yes?”

“Oh, of course. He and her Highness saved Hyrule years ago, didn’t they?”

“Duh, Judo. That story’s been told a million times since then,” Ryo jumped in.

“Hey, I don’t remember every single detail of it,” Judo retorted. “Anyway, what’s Kelli got to do with him, your Majesty? I heard he hasn’t been seen in Hyrule since all that happened.”

“Well, it’s not a mission that only I’d like her to undertake, but Zelda has requested it as well. In fact, it was her idea,” Daphnes continued. “We’d like for Kelli to search for Link when she has the time and opportunity. My daughter reported that she has an unexplainable feeling about them and that we may need their heroics here in the future. And I’m inclined to agree with her.”

“Yes, precisely,” Zelda added. “And…I do miss Link too. I hope he’s safe, where ever he’s been all these years. I knew him for a short while when we were children. We didn’t know one another like you and Kelli did, Judo, but I still called him my friend and a valuable ally.”

“I understand,” Judo replied. “Hey, if I can finish that mission in Mayia quickly enough, or if you don’t have to send me after all, maybe I can help Kelli search for Link.”

“That would be ideal, actually,” Daphnes agreed. “Since you two could spend time together while doing your duties. But we’ll have to see how things play out.”

“Yes, of course. Thank you, your Majesty.”

“You’re welcome. Now, you and Ryo must go talk your situation over,” Daphnes continued. “That’s an order.”

“Yes, your Majesty…” both Judo and Ryo obeyed at the same time, though their tones conveyed little pleasure.

The two then exited the throne room, and turned to face each other. They remained silent at first. Neither were sure how to start.

“Judo, come on! Why can’t you play? I’ve been waiting for you to play for days! You hardly ever want to play anymore!”

“I’m sorry, Ryo. I just don’t want to right now… I still really miss my dad. I want to be alone.…”

“…Ugh! You’re so not fun anymore!”

For a few moments, both Judo and Ryo just casually glanced at once another, sighing as they began walking down the hall to look for a suitable place to talk. At this point, many things began crossing their minds as well. Memories that neither expected to be dug up again came back like it was nothing.

“Oh, Ryo. Heya.”

“Hey, Judo! You’re outside again! Awesome! Let’s go play a game or something!”

“Oh… Sorry, but I’m playing with my new friend Kelli today. She’s too cool! Maybe another time, okay?”

“W-What? But…”

“Later, Ryo!”

“…RRRGH! I hate you!”

Judo braced himself for what he was sure he’d be hearing out of Ryo when they began talking. He knew what had happened between the two to cause them to stop speaking for so long. This conversation would not be easy at all. He heaved a sigh to break the silence and finally became the first one to speak.

“So… Ryo. Where would you like to talk?” Judo inquired. “I was thinking outside. We’re likely to have more privacy there. A lot of people wander the castle halls.”

“…Fine with me. Makes sense,” Ryo agreed, though he still sounded like he was sneering.

“Alright then.”

The two then made for the nearest door to the castle gardens, where it was indeed quieter and less likely to see many passersby. There would be a few guards patrolling near the courtyard, but there were still areas of the gardens where they wouldn’t be able to pay much attention to someone standing or talking there. Judo and Ryo made for one of these spots not far from where they exited the castle.

“Alright,” Judo said, breaking the silence again. “Look… I didn’t shut you out for no reason and you know it.”

“You still completely abandoned me without saying much at all!” Ryo retorted. “And then you had the gall to not just do that, but replace me with that girl! As I said, it was like I never even existed to you!”

“I’d lost my dad! I had no idea what had happened to him! One day he’s there, and then the next, he never comes home, just like that! My five-year-old mind couldn’t comprehend or accept it for the next almost three years! And you knew this! But you kept pestering me to just carry on like it didn’t freaking matter!”

“Oh my goddesses, I TRIED TO HELP YOU! Of course I knew you were going through a crappy time, idiot! I just wanted to be there for you! To make it…easier…”

“Well, it didn’t work. You just wouldn’t understand. And Kelli… She happened to be there that day when I was starting to find some form of acceptance... I walked up to her and said hi. And…we just clicked.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard. The knights, the soldiers, that whole thing has gone around, you know. You talked about her constantly. I’d come to despise her because I blamed her and you for losing what I thought could’ve been a lifelong friend… My parents quit talking to your mom after that too, and some great times just came to a stupid end!”

At this, Judo paused for a second before responding.

“Well… I…I missed Kelli a lot after she left. I am sorry if I overdid it there,” he said.

“Oh, you did,” Ryo reiterated. “I eventually couldn’t stand even just hearing her name and I still can’t. I never forgave you for what you did.”

“And… I don’t expect forgiveness. I won’t say that what I did was right,” Judo admitted. “Even though we were just little kids, I should’ve known that you just wanted to help. You were my friend. But I guess my mind was that clouded with grief and all.”

“Well… Maybe now that you mention it…” Ryo said. “I was too pushy like you said. I was just six myself, so… I guess I couldn’t understand. But you could’ve at least tried to reconnect later! You didn’t even do that!”

“True…” Judo admitted, his eyes wandering away. “I was depressed multiple times over the years though, even after meeting Kelli. During the time she’s been away, there were even moments where I wished I could die. Worrying about her and what she was doing, worrying about my mother, still thinking of my father once in a while, desperately just wanting to know what had happened… And then add General Aldin dying in my arms on the battlefield and declaring me the new leader of the knights. It was so much to take in, and I was put down by some others because I just wanted to joke around and relax sometimes. They’d think I had no sense of responsibility. This all was…so much to deal with. I almost couldn’t do it. Remembering how hard Kelli was surely working and how hard I wanted to work for her and my mom was all that kept me going. If it weren’t for those things… I’d have probably taken my own life by now.”

“…Wait. Seriously? You were suffering that bad?” Ryo commented, his eyebrows raising.

“Yeah. Oh, I also had Conan to help too, I have to admit. He’s been a great friend.”

“Your new deputy commander, right. I’ve met him a few times, he is a smart guy. You made a good choice there.”

“Heh, glad you agree.”

“But… Damn, Judo, I never guessed you were in such a dark place all this time. From what I saw, you were laughing, telling people jokes, even seemingly having a lot of fun at times. In fact, I didn’t even remember you ever trying to be such a comedian before your dad disappeared. If you were ever depressed, I’d have never seen it until you told me. I’m sorry…”

“Well… They do say that the most broken people are the best at hiding it. I suppose I was one of them.”

“Sure sounds like it. …So hey. Seems like we’re okay now? I’m sorry for my angry outbursts.”

“Oh, of course. Apology accepted.”

With that, the two happily shook hands.

“Oh, and…as for when I first got my interest in jokes and comedic stuff…well, I found it as a way of coping with and masking all that grief and depression, not so long before I met Kelli,” Judo continued. “And I absolutely love doing it.”

With that, he gave his old friend a wink.

“So I can see,” Ryo replied with a small chuckle. “It seems like it worked, sort of. But if there’s a next time you’re feeling so down in the dumps, talk to friends and family more and open up about what you’re going through so we can help. Don’t shut anybody out. Okay?”

“It’s a deal,” Judo agreed with a smile.

“Well, shall we go return to his Majesty and let him know that we’ve put the past behind us?”

“Certainly! By the way though, I know you said you didn’t want to hear about or have anything to do with Kelli, but I’d be happy to introduce you two when the opportunity comes. If you’re ever interested.”

“Heh. Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to keep that in consideration.”

“Good to hear!”

With that, the two headed for the nearest door, able to go inside with a long-overdue rekindled friendship…and Judo knowing that he’d taken a big step forward in conquering the demons that had haunted him for good.

And my most recent writing contest entry, this is going forward in time again, to just after Judo and Kelli get married.

Peace of Mind Across Time

The sun peeked over the horizon one peaceful morning in the land of Mayia. Near the kingdom’s coastline at the southwest was a port town known for fishing and its knowledge of the nearby beaches. Within Chelsatown’s inn, a newlywed couple gradually awoke to the blazing sunbeams piercing their room’s window. The young blonde woman yawned as her hand graced her new husband’s bare, broad chest and her head rested upon his shoulder. The dusty brown-haired man smiled and turn to face his wife.

“Good morning,” the woman greeted lovingly.

“Morning to you too, Kel,” the man replied, his smile growing a little awkward.

“And what’s that goofy smile for this time, Judo?” Kelli wondered with a chuckle.

“Ah, just continuing to let…well, everything sink in,” Judo admitted. “Heh heh… It’s just amazing. We’re married now. I’ve grown more into being a general. And my dad is back! My dad! After all these years. It’s still so hard to believe he was alive!”

“Ah, I see. That’s fair. You hadn’t seen him in over twelve years. And you didn’t know what had happened to him. We all were surprised to find him though.”

“Exactly. I just wish we could have helped Dad sooner… What he went through, that was horrible. I know he said he was actually well fed, but other than that, he was treated like a slave and prisoner… I don’t know how no one figured out what was going on until that last war we had to fight in.”

“Well, I can understand. But we don’t have to think about all that,” Kelli pointed out. “Your dad is home safe and that’s what really matters. And we’re supposed to be relaxing and taking our minds off of war and fighting for a change.”

“Yeah, true,” Judo agreed. “I will always be thankful that he’s with us again. And what I really mean anyway is that it’s incredible how much is going right for me now when it felt like so much was going completely wrong before. It’s taking a bit of getting used to!”

“Heh, I know what you mean. Due to my duty as a Sky Guardian and all, I never really had a chance to just kick back and have some fun until recently.”

“I bet! You know what though, Kel? The most amazing thing in my life right now… It’s you and always has been. When we were kids, and now.”

Kelli’s smile grew twice as wide upon hearing these words as Judo’s brown eyes gazed into her own bright teal orbs.

“Oh, Judo… You really mean that?” she said.

“Totally,” Judo replied with a loving smile. “My family may be complete again with my dad’s return, but you’re more important to me than anything in the world. Nothing’s made me happier.”

“Oh… Judo, you’ve made me happier than anything else too!” Kelli added. “I couldn’t ever love another man so much. You are my amazing husband.”

“Heh. Very happy to hear it, my love. My new incredible wife...”

Kelli then slid atop Judo’s torso and pressed her lips against his, her hands moving to his shoulders and her bare breasts creeping upon his chest. He wasn’t the only one lacking a shirt at the moment. Judo’s muscled arms wrapped around her waist as he stroked her back. Their blanket remained over much of the lower halves of their bodies despite that they stopped paying much attention to that. For the next few moments, they were lost in their affection, disregarding everything else.

Suddenly, a feminine voice spoke up, causing them both to pull apart.

“Kelli, Judo,” she said.

“EEEEP!” Kelli shrieked, almost loud enough to sting Judo’s ears as she ground her chest against him.

“Wha--?!” Judo gasped. Both of them were now red as tomatoes. And as they were startled, they’d twitched enough to cause the blanket to slip a little, revealing bits of Kelli’s behind.

“It is I, the Fairy of Winds,” the female voice spoke again.

“…Huh? Oh, hello,” Kelli replied.

She’s seriously doing this NOW?! she opined in her mind.

“Well, this just became awkward…” Judo muttered.

“Shush!” Kelli ordered quietly and then responded to the Fairy of Winds again. “Uh…you can’t see us right now…can you?”

“Er…no,” the Fairy of Winds replied. “I am just outside of town right now so we don’t draw unwanted attention to ourselves and that’s why I’m contacting you telepathically. Why exactly do you ask?”

“Oh, uh, no important reason!” Kelli said. “Don’t worry about it. What’s going on?”

“Yeah, is something happening at home?” Judo wondered. “Link and Ryo are fighting, aren’t they? I was afraid of this… Ryo has a temper on him and Link’s too impulsive and easily provoked.”

“No, don’t worry,” the Fairy of Winds assured. “Everything is fine in Hyrule. I come to report that Erra, the goddess of time, wishes to send you both on a mission. She is the goddess whose power also resides within the sacred melody known as the Song of Time.”

“Oh, I’ve heard of her once,” Kelli replied. “But why is she asking this of us now? We just got married and started our honeymoon! We planned to hit the beach today.”

“Yeah, we wanted to relax and forget about that stuff for a while,” Judo added.

“I understand the timing is odd,” the Fairy of Winds said.

You don’t know the half of it, Judo commented in his head, since he and Kelli were still in an awkward position.

“But Erra feels that it is best that you two complete this mission sooner rather than later at this point,” the Fairy of Winds continued. “You’ll need to dress in your battle gear, although you should not have to actually engage in any combat.”

“Huh? Then why should we dress as if we were?” Kelli wondered.

“You’ll understand in due time. For now, get ready and meet me outside of town at the west entrance. I will give you further instructions then.”

“Well, alright, if it’s that important.”

Judo also agreed and the two then left the bed to begin dressing. Thankfully, they had brought their battle gear with them just in case they did happen to run into danger for whatever reason. They also were very glad that the Fairy of Winds had the sense to contact them telepathically this time instead of literally catching them in bed while they were unclothed. They didn’t want to imagine what would’ve happened otherwise. The Fairy of Winds had helped guide them, Link, and Hyrule’s Princess Zelda through two long adventures in Hyrule and Mayia and was a valuable ally. Judo and Kelli just hoped that whatever this mission was supposed to be, it really wouldn’t be putting them in danger or ruin their chances of having a good honeymoon vacation.

“That was kind of embarrassing…” Kelli opined as she and Judo put their usual battle tunics on. “She’s lucky she decided to use telepathy this time! WE WERE IN BED WITH NO CLOTHES ON!”

“Yeah…” Judo agreed. “That wouldn’t have been pretty. She would’ve had the wind knocked out of her! Ha ha ha!”

“Judo! Seriously!”

“Aw come on, Kel. That was a good one, right?”

“Normally, I would find that funny,” Kelli admitted. “But you don’t think her catching us for real would’ve been completely humiliating?”

“Oh, of course I think so. I wouldn’t want anybody finding us like that. I just thought I’d try cracking a joke to make you feel better, like I always do!”

“Heh, that is one of the things that makes you so amazing,” Kelli commented with a smile. “It seems that you just don’t let things like this bother you much either. I wish I could be a little more like that. Link would say I let stuff get to me too much.”

“I guess that is true. Not letting things bother me much, that is. But don’t worry, I think Link is just full of it sometimes.”

“Haha, I guess I can agree with that too!”

It took Judo a little longer since he had a full suit of armor to put on as well as his tunic and cape, but once the two were fully ready, they grabbed their weaponry and went outside to their horses. They’d ridden both to Mayia from Hyrule because they decided they’d feel bad if only one was taken and the other left behind. Stormfrost and Sunfire, a silvery blue stallion and palomino mare respectively, were in a designated hitching post area at the inn. Judo saddled up Stormfrost while Kelli did so with Sunfire and the two mounted their steeds. It only took minutes to ride through town to the western exit where the Fairy of Winds said she waited.

As she’d stated, the Fairy of Winds was indeed waiting right outside of Chelsatown, her glowing pink body and wings illuminating in the sunlight. Judo and Kelli brought their horses to a trot and then a halt as they approached her.

“Ah, you made it in good time,” the Fairy of Winds greeted. “I’m glad. And I apologize for having to interrupt your special occasion.”

“Well, if this is important, it’s important,” Kelli replied. “And as long as we’re not going to fight anything or get into dangerous situations, it’s fine.”

“Yeah, we can’t be risking our vacation time,” Judo pointed out.

“I understand. And as I said, you should not have to go anywhere dangerous. This will be a short mission,” the Fairy of Winds explained. “We fairies can hear the gods as well, just as the Hylians can. However, we bear an even closer connection than you do, and that is why Erra came to me first. It was simpler that way.”

“I see,” Judo commented.

“So what will we be doing?” Kelli wondered.

“Erra herself will transport you to the proper location,” the Fairy of Winds said. “All I can tell you is that you must seek out Judo’s parents and speak with them.”

“My…parents?” Judo replied confusedly.

“Yes. Also, take this.”

The Fairy of Winds then handed Judo a small round charm that depicted a design like that on the Door of Time within Hyrule’s Temple of Time.

“This is a Charm of Time. The goddess is bestowing it upon you for this mission,” she continued. “Once you have completed your task, you will be returned here. All you have to do is say the goddess’s name and that you are ready.”

“But how will we know when we’ve finished?” Kelli said.

“The Charm of Time will glow to let you know. Also, it will vanish when you return here. It can only be used once.”

“We understand. Alright, let’s go.”

“Good.”

The Fairy of Winds then closed her eyes and brought her hands together.

“Erra, goddess of time, the two you seek are ready and willing. We ask that they be transported now.”

With that, the trio became silent. Within moments, a bright light enveloped Judo, Kelli, and their steeds. Everything went white before them too, and they had to close their eyes to prevent it from blinding them.

When the light finally faded, Judo and Kelli slowly opened their eyes to see where Erra had transported them. From what they could see at first, they hadn’t really gone far. They and their horses were facing the main entrance to Mayia Town, which sat before Mayia’s grand castle. However, they soon realized that something was very different.

Some of the town walls were damaged and being repaired by many crew members. Past the open gate, several buildings were being worked on as well. Wagons full of supplies were being transported in and out of the town. In the distance behind them and near the town walls, Judo and Kelli could spy a fallen tree here and there as well.

It also seemed that Erra either put the couple in a spot where no one would see them suddenly shimmer into existence, or everyone was just too busy to notice.

“Judo…” Kelli began. “This is Mayia Town, but…”

“It’s nearly been turned into ruins!” Judo finished. “What…what in the name of the goddesses happened here?”

“I don’t know…. This is so weird. Thankfully, no one seems to have noticed that we’ve just appeared out of nowhere.”

“Yeah. But this is more than weird,” Judo continued. “The Fairy of Winds said we have to find my parents, but neither of them has lived here since before they got married!”

“What?!” Kelli gasped. “Did Erra send us back in time or something?”

“I’m not sure. But if that’s the case, we have a lot of traveling to do. Only my dad lived here since he used to be a Mayian knight. He met my mother in Hyrule and chose to stay there with her, remember?”

“Oh yeah… That came up when we were talking together during our wedding reception. Well, I guess we have to go in and see if we can find your dad first.”

“Indeed. Let’s make this quick.”

“Right.”

With that, the two spurred the horses into a trot and entered Mayia Town. As they figured, they passed by even more buildings that were under renovation or reconstruction. Many people and construction crews were rushing back and forth, bringing food or building material to the required locations. Merchant stands were restocking what they could, even if it wasn’t much, and carpenters constantly stacked and hammered wood and also used what stone they could keep gathering.

“Man… Something big happened here, that’s for sure,” Judo commented. “Though whatever it was, it’s over now, since everyone is rebuilding, more or less.”

“Yeah,” Kelli agreed. “It’s good that the kingdom made it through this apparent conflict.”

“We need to find someone who might know where my dad is though. At least some of the knights likely do, and if there’s this much reconstruction going on, some of them have to be overseeing it.”

“Yeah, and we’ll learn what exactly has been going on here.”

They then peered around for any Mayian knights that were patrolling or just wandering around. Thankfully, it didn’t take long to spy one just another street away. It was easy to recognize knights since they typically rode on horseback and had more elaborate armor than infantry soldiers, just as Judo and the Hyrulean knights did. Judo was one of few that fought on foot just about as often as he did on horseback.

Judo and Kelli approached the knight without hesitation, hoping he could provide them with the information they needed.

“Excuse me, sir,” Judo spoke up. “Do you by any chance know where a man named Sir Radomir lives? We think he is somewhere in this town.”

“Ah, the former knight? We don’t need to refer to him as Sir anymore since he resigned years ago,” the Mayian knight replied. “But yes, he does live a few streets from here, with his wife.”

Judo blinked upon hearing these words as the knight pointed them in the direction they had to go. His mother was here too? How was that possible? Kelli also gaped in astonishment when she heard this.

“Er…something wrong?” The knight wondered.

“…Oh, no, thank you. I…uh, just didn’t know he was married. Yeah,” Judo said, then mentally kicked himself for having to lie.

“I see… Well, follow me and I’ll show you the house. It’s not far,” the knight offered. Judo and Kelli thanked him again and the trio were on their way.

“Also… Is that Hyrulean armor? You must be a high-ranking knight there,” the Mayian knight continued. “Though no one’s mentioned a guy that looks like you being among them. Did you get promoted recently?”

“Ah…yeah, I did,” Judo replied.

Well, that wasn’t entirely false, at least. It really hadn’t been all that long since he became a general.

“Well, thanks for helping us,” Kelli said.

“Oh, no problem!” the knight said.

Judo then turned to Kelli and lowered his voice almost to a whisper.

“Kel, this makes absolutely no sense!” he said. “My mother has never lived in Mayia period, let alone its biggest town!”

“Yeah… I hate to think this at all, but…could your dad have married a different woman in this time for some reason?” Kelli wondered, also in close to a whisper.

“Oh, I sure as hell hope not!”

“Me too. Believe me.”

Minutes later, the Mayian knight brought his horse to a halt. He then pointed to a brown brick house with a blue roof.

“Well, here it is,” he said. “Radomir and his wife live here. But go easy on them. They may not be up for much talking. What they’ve been through is quite tragic, I’ve heard.”

“I…see,” Judo commented. “Well, thank you again, sir.”

“Of course!”

With that, the knight departed to return to his previous post. Kelli soon broke a short silence that had ensued.

“What could he have meant by your parents going through tragedy?” she wondered.

“Not sure. Obviously we know my dad went through what he did, but that knight made it sound like there was more than that,” Judo replied. “We’ll just have to talk to my parents about it.”

Kelli agreed and the two dismounted their horses. They then approached the door, with Judo getting ready to knock. He could feel his hand tremble slightly as he wondered what exactly he was going to say at first. He had so many questions, and surely Kelli did as well. Unfortunately, he didn’t get much time to ponder this, as just before he could actually knock, an angry female voice that sounded oddly familiar rang out behind them.

“HEY! Who are you and what are you doing here?!” the woman demanded.

Judo and Kelli whirled to see a woman who bore a shocking resemblance to Kelli herself, except for a few differences. Her bluish green tunic was a little tattered and her blonde hair was tied back into a ponytail at her neck. She wasn’t wearing Kelli’s signature black headband either. And over her left eye was a purple eye patch. Hints of a few scars protruded from the patch. Her arms also bore more scars than Kelli’s did. Kelli’s eyes widened even more, however, when she saw the sword at the woman’s back. It looked exactly like a previous form of her own weapon, the Sun Sword. Soon enough, the woman picked up on this as well.

“Wait…your sword,” she said, noting Kelli’s blade. “Why does it look like mine but upgraded?! Where did you get that?!”

“Wha…” Kelli began. “You… You’re…”

“Kelli…” Judo said, gaping in shock himself. “She’s…you!”

“What?!” the other Kelli gasped, though she still had anger in her tone. She then darted around to Kelli’s back side.

“You have the shield too!” the angry Kelli realized. “How is this possible?! …You must be an IMPOSTER!”

“Wait, what?!” Kelli gasped. “No, I’m not an imposter! I think we really are the same person!”

“Oh yeah?! Like there can really be two of me! And you bring a strange man I’ve never seen before who looks to be posing as a Hyrulean knight on top of that!”

“Now hold on,” Judo intervened. “You’re jumping to conclusions here. I really am a Hyrulean knight! I’m their commander!”

“HA! Now I know you’re lying, you criminals!” Angry Kelli retorted, drawing her Sun Sword. “I know who that Hyrulean general is and he is not you! I will not let you attack Radomir and Lori!”

“Whoa! WAIT!” Judo pleaded, though he had no choice but to draw his own blade, Orion, to meet Angry Kelli’s attack. Although, at least now he knew his father hadn’t married someone else. Lori was indeed his mother.

“Hey, stop it!” Kelli insisted. “Other me! Kelli! We’re not lying, I promise you!”

“Calm down, please!” Judo ordered as he repeatedly met swift sword strikes. “I don’t want to hurt you!”

“Well I’m sure going to hurt YOU!” Angry Kelli snapped back, not bothering with Judo’s pleas at all.

“Why will you not listen?!” Kelli demanded and grabbed Angry Kelli’s arms.

“Let me go, you fake!” Angry Kelli shouted as she struggled to get out of her counterpart’s grip.

Suddenly, the front door of the house opened to reveal Radomir and Lori themselves. The former was about the same height as Judo. He had clearly graying brown hair while his wife’s fairly short dusty brown mane was slightly unruly. Her auburn eyes looked as though they’d seen a lot of sadness in recent days.

“What in Mayia is going on out--?” Radomir spoke up, but cut himself off when he saw the two Kellis. “What the…”

“Who… Who are you?” Lori inquired, though her voice was slightly shaky.

“We can explain,” Judo spoke up. “We’re here to see you.”

“What? Why? What is going on here?!” Radomir demanded. “These two girls look nearly exactly alike! And who the hell are you supposed to be?”

“…Huh? You don’t recognize me?” Judo inquired, a lump forming in his throat.

“No,” Lori replied. “We’ve never seen you before in our lives.”

“…How…” Judo wondered, now more confused than ever. “But… Mom, Dad… It’s me. Judo!”

At this, his parents fell completely silent, their eyes widening so much that their eyeballs seemed to nearly pop out of their sockets. Lori then began trembling even more than she already was.

“Wha…” Radomir uttered.

“No… NO… You…you can’t be!” Lori retorted, her voice very shaky. “It’s not possible…. IT’S IMPOSSIBLE!”

“That’s what I was trying to tell them!” Angry Kelli added. “They’re imposters who’ve come to hurt you!”

“That is not true at all!” Judo countered. “I swear I’m not lying!”

“And I am Kelli, and this other Kelli is me too,” Kelli added. “I’m starting to understand this now.”

“Then you both will have to offer some seriously convincing proof!” Radomir said, having taken his wife into his arms to comfort her. “Your claim is very, very hard to believe right now.”

“But why?” Judo wondered. “You can see the resemblance, right? Mom always said I looked like you, but with her hair color.”

“I admit you do bear some resemblance to us. But that doesn’t mean much when plenty of unrelated people can share characteristics. And I don’t appreciate someone trying to pass themselves off as my son!”

“I’m not doing that though! Please, why is it so impossible that I’m your son?!”

“Yeah, why can’t you believe that we’re telling the truth?” Kelli added.

“Because…” Lori began as tears began to build up in her eyes. “Because he’s dead! Our son died seven years ago! THAT’S WHY!”

At this, Judo’s eyes nearly popped from his own skull, and he found Orion almost slipping out of his hand. Kelli’s reaction was similar, and her grip on Angry Kelli loosened. Lori began to weep, and bury herself in her husband’s chest.

“My baby…” she uttered through her tears. “My baby…!”

“And you have a lot of nerve putting us through this!” Radomir snapped. “My wife’s been traumatized ever since it happened and I constantly beat myself up for not being there because I was a kidnapped prisoner at the time! You can’t be Judo because he’s not even alive!”

At this, neither Judo nor Kelli could say anything for a few moments. Suddenly, everything was making more sense. Judo brought a hand to his head as he realized what this new revelation meant.

“Oh goddesses…” he uttered.

“I was too young and too far away to do anything…” Angry Kelli muttered, clenching her fists. “I wasn’t there, but the attack was so horrible! And then that hero that apparently showed up some years later… He hasn’t been seen since! Disappeared, just like that!”

“Ah… I see,” Kelli said and then gestured to her husband. “And I can imagine. But, uh, may we have a minute though?”

“Er, sure, I guess,” Radomir obliged.

Judo and Kelli then turned away from the trio and lowered their voices to near whispers again.

“Judo! I can’t believe all this…” Kelli began. “Do you realize what’s happening?!”

“Yeah,” Judo replied. “I am dead in this world! I’m freaking DEAD! We’ve been sent to another timeline! This is driving me crazy now!”

“Well, yeah, besides that! Do you realize why you’re dead? The attack that they’re talking about?”

“That? Wait, you mean… Oh, damn.”

“Exactly. We’re not in just any timeline! This is the one Link was originally in before Zelda sent him back in time and created ours! The one where Ganondorf had taken over Hyrule Castle! You must’ve died in that massacre.”

“I agree, there’s no other possibility. At that time, I had recently arrived at the castle to become a squire. And in our timeline, Link and Zelda had given Daphnes a heads up before Ganondorf could carry out his plan and all who would’ve perished survived.”

“And then as the seven years Link was sealed in the Sacred Realm in this timeline passed, Ganondorf’s power and monster army grew, and they eventually spread here to Mayia.”

“That must’ve been the case. There’s so much damage being repaired. Should we tell them about Link though? I’m not sure it’d be a good idea.”

“Right, let’s keep that part to ourselves. It’d probably just confuse them. We have to explain everything else though.”

“Yeah, agreed. I think I know what our mission is now too.”

“So do I.”

The two then returned their attention to Judo’s parents and Angry Kelli, the latter of which had folded her arms in impatience.

“Sorry about that,” Judo spoke up. “I realize now that you’re right, I’m technically not your son… In this world.”

“Huh? What do you mean this time?” Radomir wondered.

“Believe us, we’re so sorry about what happened to you,” Kelli said. “But we can explain why we’re here and why this Kelli and I are the same person.”

“Yeah,” Judo added. “You both deserved so much better than what life’s given you. I'm not the Judo you knew, and I can’t bring the Judo of this world back, but… I think I can prove that in another time, I am him, as a surviving and thriving adult.”

“Oh?” Lori uttered, sniffling. “You know… Now that I look at you more… And hear your voice… You do feel like my baby.”

“Yes!” Judo said with a smile. “And I also have this.”

Judo then took from underneath his chest plate a silver charm in the shape of a sword. It was attached to an equally silvery chain around his neck.

“Dad, do you recognize this?” he inquired.

“…That…!” Radomir said. “That charm! I…I do know it!”

“You gave it to me when I was little, not long before you disappeared. I’ve treasured it since.”

“No way!” Angry Kelli retorted, her tone getting hostile again. “You could’ve just robbed Judo’s grave! He was buried with that necklace!”

“No, Kel,” Radomir countered. “That scenario would be possible, except for one thing. The charm Judo was buried with was cracked due to Ganondorf’s attack. The one this man is wearing? It’s practically good as new. No cracks at all. And it’s the only charm of its kind. I only had one made.”

“Wha…”

“Oh my…” Lori uttered, her hands rising to her cheeks. “Then you… You really are…”

“I am, Mom,” Judo said, his smile growing.

“Oh… Oh…! MY BABYYY!” Lori suddenly cried, and burst into more tears, though they seemed to be a mixture of joyful tears this time as well as sad. She quickly buried herself into Judo’s chest plate. Judo happily returned her hug, knowing that this poor version of his mother deserved all the hugs and comfort she could get.

“You actually are who you say you are…” Radomir added. “Oh my goddesses…”

“Yes,” Kelli replied. “I’m so sorry we caused you trouble at first though. I can see why you didn’t believe us.”

“I understand. But how…how exactly did you get to this world and why?”

“It’s a bit of a crazy story,” Judo replied. “To start, in our timeline, Ganondorf’s attack on Hyrule Castle was prevented from ever happening, and as a result, all of us that would’ve died in it are alive now.”

“…Whoa,” Angry Kelli said.

“And the goddess of time herself transported us here a little while ago. She wanted us to talk with you,” Kelli added. “And other me, I think she wanted you to listen too.”

“I…see,” Angry Kelli replied. “I’m sorry for my behavior earlier. I’ve been living here and protecting Rad and Lori almost since our Judo’s death and I thought they were in danger.”

“I can understand,” Judo commented. “You were just trying to do the right thing.”

“Yeah, and if you’re here now, this must mean…” Kelli began.

“I never returned to Hyrule after the last time I saw my Judo,” Angry Kelli confirmed. “I was going to, but I found Lori before I could, and she told me what had happened. I was so devastated. We broke down crying together. We later found Rad as we were trying to escape the monsters that were beginning to show up here. I fought alongside the Mayian soldiers and since we had to fight for a few years before the monsters disappeared…yeah. These scars all over me are what I have to show from it. My left eye is so ugly now even though I can still see with it a little.”

“I sold my house in Kakariko Village,” Lori added. “I couldn’t bear to be there all alone, with my baby gone, my husband who knows where, and that horrible Ganondorf letting his monsters run free… I had to go to Mayia to protect myself and maybe find Rad. I was so relieved when Kelli and I did…”

“Ironically, the monsters were the reason I escaped my imprisonment,” Radomir revealed. “When they attacked the place I was being held in, it gave me an opportunity and I took it. To this day, I’m still not sure where I was or how I found my way to Mayia.”

“Damn…” Judo commented, raising an eyebrow. “A Mayian knight had told us that you’d been through a lot. And he wasn't kidding.”

“Yeah… I’m so sorry to hear all of this,” Kelli said.

“Indeed,” Radomir replied.

“Well, I know exactly what my Kelli and I were sent here for,” Judo continued. “We’re supposed to show you what became of us in a time where things turned out a little better. To give you both some comfort and perhaps closure. I’m alive, and I’m a Hyrulean knight.”

“I can see!” Radomir commented, noting his other worldly son’s armor.

“Yeah, and not only that, Judo is the commander too!” Kelli proudly proclaimed.

“It’s true,” Judo confirmed with a smile. “Also, Kelli here is my wife. We just got married and were starting our honeymoon when we were called on this little mission.”

“Oh…! That is… That is all so wonderful!” Lori cried, her mouth curving into what was probably the first genuine big smile she’d had in years.

“Wow, yes! Congratulations to you both!” Radomir added, patting Judo’s shoulder.

“That is…amazing,” Angry Kelli said. “Even though it also pains me to know what I could’ve had… I am happy that in another time, I am still spending my life with that boy I loved so much.”

“And I’m sure now,” Kelli said, taking her other self’s hands. “Things can look up more for you too! Just believe. And think positive.”

“Yeah… Yeah, you’re right! Thanks, other me!”

“Hey, Judo and other Kelli…” Lori said. “This might be kind of an awkward question, but… Do you think…you two could kiss for me? See…as I watched my Judo and Kelli play together when they were kids, I always thought that…they were made for each other.”

“Heh,” Judo replied. “My mother in my world said the same thing. I can totally understand. But sure! My Kel and I can do that! Right, Kel?”

“Definitely!” Kelli happily obliged and threw her arms around her husband’s neck. She then pressed her lips against Judo’s almost before he was ready for it. He soon wrapped his arms around her waist anyway, passionately returning the gesture.

“Ohhh!” Lori squealed. “Thank you! Thank you! You two are so wonderful together.”

Radomir easily agreed, and Angry Kelli actually felt her cheeks going slightly pink as a small smile formed on her features.

“Aw, thanks so much,” Kelli commented when she and Judo parted. “Judo’s parents in our timeline love us too.”

“Oh, so I was found in your world as well?” Radomir realized.

“Yeah,” Judo gladly confirmed. “I’m still getting used to the idea that you were alive all that time.”

“I bet! Hey, I’m guessing you two will want to depart and return to your honeymoon real soon,” Radomir continued. “But one last little favor before you go, Judo?”

“Sure, what?”

“Well, my wife told me a while back that after I’d disappeared, you started telling a lot of jokes and turning into one heck of a little comedian. I hated that I could never see it… But since you’re here, can you…tell me a joke?”

“Ah, I could never say no to that!” Judo agreed and comically bowed.

“Heh, just don’t get started on a whole comedy act here, dear, we do have to get going in a bit,” Kelli advised.

“Yes, I know,” Judo replied. “Now here’s one of my personal favorites. A knight and soldier go into a bar one evening and the soldier buys them drinks. Another soldier comes in later and recognizes them. He asks, “what are you two doing here?” The soldier replies “Having a good knight out, of course!”

Radomir burst into laughter with Lori following suite.

“Ahahaha! That was amazing!” he commented. “You really are the funniest guy around, huh?”

“I certainly think so!” Kelli said, lovingly clutching her husband’s arm.

“He always was,” Angry Kelli agreed. “Nobody told better jokes.”

“Heh, I do try!” Judo admitted, taking another comical bow.

“And I think you succeed!” Lori said. “Thank you both so much for coming. I can’t believe how much better I feel now. I’m always going to miss my son, but… I can rest easier knowing he’s become this incredible, wonderful man in another world. And that he picked the perfect wife.”

“Same here,” Radomir seconded. “I can also rest a little easier now that my wife can do so.”

“Aw…” Judo said bashfully. “I’m really glad I could help.”

“Me too,” Kelli added.

Judo then discovered a bright glow erupting from his satchel. He pulled out the Charm of Time to see that indeed, they had completed the requested mission.

“Well, this is our cue, I’m afraid,” Judo said. “This little trinket is supposed to take us home.”

“I understand,” Lori said. “Be safe, you two. Take care of and protect each other. And thank you so much, again.”

“Yes, and here’s to a long and happy marriage for you two,” Radomir added.

“I bet we’d like grandchildren!” Lori put in with a smile.

“Ah, heh, maybe!” Judo said. “Thanks though!”

“Yes, thanks!” Kelli said.

With that, they all joined in a farewell group hug, Angry Kelli included, despite her mixed feelings. A few more joyful tears were shared as well. Judo and Kelli could definitely say that this was one honeymoon they would never forget.