What team should I use for FE6?

I don't think there's exactly a right answer to this as in normal mode fe6 there's not really a right way to play the game, but...

I will say that disregarding characters for low base stats (most notably Alan, Shanna, and Sue) isn't a great idea because all three of them are very useful units if you choose to use them

that's my 2 cents. If you wanted a list of personal favorites, I love using Fir, Lilina, and Shanna. Wolt is a good boy too and needs some love (even though he isn't very good)

Shanna= best whitewing, but I have a strong bias towards her, so...

If you're going for a solid team, I'd say that Deke/Dieck is very good when he joins, Treck is quite good IMO too, and Miledy kills everything in sight without a problem.

Edited by Benice

You should be able to get away with really any team composition on Normal, though the Knights and most Axe infantry are usually considered not very good.  Binding Blade has large maps and is not very kind to Axes.  Most of your magic users are also a little mediocre.

30 minutes ago, Benice said:

Treck is quite good IMO too

i don't mean to say don't use him, he's a funny character, but i don't think he's very good haha

while magic users are mediocre this doesn't mean to not use them, but as a massive warning, it's dangerous to use more than 3 magic units because you only get 3 guiding rings before chapter 21 secret shop, so make sure you choose wisely

13 minutes ago, forsettipatty said:

i don't mean to say don't use him, he's a funny character, but i don't think he's very good haha

He's a decent back-up if one of the starting cavs and Noah turn out terribly.  It's Normal, after all.

---

Early game: Have at least one designated boss-killer, because the early bosses are annoying.

Mid game: Feel free to drop anyone who didn't perform well.  You'll get better recruits (enemy or otherwise).

Late game: You should have a good idea of who worked and who didn't.  Have someone with decent staff rank, since Physic stays good forever.

1 hour ago, forsettipatty said:

One of the top 3 characters in the game by personality, but yeah he's a level 4 cavalier in chapter 7.

Whether you're playing normal or hard mode makes a lot of difference, as normal mode is easy enough that most teams can work.

That said Rutger is a mainstay of every FE6 team regardless of the difficulty. He's an exceptional unit and your best choice against most bosses, since his hit is high enough to counterattack their large throne bonuses.

You could get away with using most teams in normal mode, but axe infantry and knights are TERRIBLE (as stated earlier, Binding Blade has big maps and axe accuracy tens to be terrible). Especially Wendy/Gwendolyn. Regarding mages, you're going to want to avoid Sophia, who's almost as bad as Wendy.

Rutger is always good for me so I say him and Milady is really good as well.  Of course I have to put my favorite FE character in here and say Elphin is best dancer/singer but I know most people like Larum better I just really love Elphin. My Lilina tends to be RNG blessed so I always use her.

Units you can't really go wrong with:

Alan, Lance, Shanna, Dieck, Clarine, Rutger, Lilina, Gonzales, Milady, Raigh, Zeiss.

Whenever I play, I generally avoid:

Wolt, Bors (lategame), Gwendolyn/Wendy, Sophia, Dayan, Juno, Niime (though she's a good staffbot), and Yodel.

1 hour ago, OuendanCyrus said:

Units you can't really go wrong with:

Alan, Lance, Shanna, Dieck, Clarine, Rutger, Lilina, Gonzales, Milady, Raigh, Zeiss.

I would dispute the bold  - Gonzales has Stormtrooper-level accuracy, and he needs a Hero Crest that's better used on Rutger or Deke. What's more, FE6 is a game that really favours high movement units... and his very high Con prevents him from being rescue-dropped, meaning he has to get everywhere on his own two feet... in a Horse Emblem game. Training Zeiss is honestly a hard sell when most everyone else you're using should be promoted.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would dispute the bold  - Gonzales has Stormtrooper-level accuracy, and he needs a Hero Crest that's better used on Rutger or Deke. What's more, FE6 is a game that really favours high movement units... and his very high Con prevents him from being rescue-dropped, meaning he has to get everywhere on his own two feet... in a Horse Emblem game.

Hero Crest is not a main concern. If you play well enough, you should have 3 hero crests by the end of chapter 16 without using the secret shop. You named Rutger and Deke so there’s a spare.

Infantry movement isn’t that much of a problem either. It is good enough unless you’re going full horse/flier.

People always hate Sophia but she isn’t too hard to train in normal mode. It’s fun too (but probably frustrating in hard mode). She can become a bigger nuke than Lilina.

1 hour ago, Wishblade said:

Hero Crest is not a main concern. If you play well enough, you should have 3 hero crests by the end of chapter 16 without using the secret shop. You named Rutger and Deke so there’s a spare.

Infantry movement isn’t that much of a problem either. It is good enough unless you’re going full horse/flier.

People always hate Sophia but she isn’t too hard to train in normal mode. It’s fun too (but probably frustrating in hard mode). She can become a bigger nuke than Lilina.

Which I would consider Fir or Oujay a better recipient of. I would consider selling it if I was only using two out of those four, because long story short, axes and their users suck harder than Little Mac's recovery in this game.

Considering this is one of the most mount dominated games in the series, I don't buy that. 

It's also frustrating and not worth it. Honestly, if you really wanted a dark mage, I'd just recommend using  Niime instead and giving her some Angelic Robes.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Can we NOT have this dick-waving contest in the thread, please and thank you?

Because we all know the Actual Best Unit is Bartre (BTW, there's some truth to this).

TC, you never said what type of suggestions you are looking for. Are you asking for advice for who the best units are that will help make the game easier? Or just opinions on who the most fun units are to use? I generally like to tell people to try things out for themselves and form their own opinions. There's no reason to use only the best units, it's not like you're playing the game competitively. The most important thing is to have fun.

30 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Which I would consider Fir or Oujay a better recipient of. I would consider selling it if I was only using two out of those four, because long story short, axes and their users suck harder than Little Mac's recovery in this game.

Considering this is one of the most mount dominated games in the series, I don't buy that. 

It's also frustrating and not worth it. Honestly, if you really wanted a dark mage, I'd just recommend using  Niime instead and giving her some Angelic Robes.

no u

This isn’t a tier list or something. I was never a fan of caveliers and never used any of them past mid-game in FE6. Not even Perceval can change my mind.

Sophia is a good Apocalypse nuke, and she’s cute. (Sorry Niime)

———

Anyway, it is important to test these units on your own. It’s very different between an efficient and a fun unit.

Edited by Wishblade

Depends on difficulty tbh.

In normal difficulty most units are usable despite some of them tend to be rather bad.

In general sword users, cavaliers, fliers, magic and staff users are the most reliable units.

Also it's one of very few parts where very most prepromoted units are solid from the beginning till the end.

Since axes's and lances's accuracy are nerfed, these weapon types are really not good overall.

Edited by Reisalin Stout

There's almost no issue with training anyone on Normal Mode so I'll focus on Hard Mode for this.

In the earlygame, you will need to always field Marcus and Zealots, as one slip-up in that difficulty is very hard to remedy unless you have units relatively high bases. I will also say having a promoted Rutger around the time you get the first hero crest in chapter 7 tremendously helps later on especially if he's already capped speed and has gotten some strength. And this is coming from someone who likes Fir more. The christmas cavs have a high chance of turning out really good as well so be sure to give them some levels because either one of them can become a staple of your team (Or both, cannot go wrong with that at all, in fact I encourage it). You could also use Shanna for the rescue-dropping I guess, but I almost never use her myself so I can't speak for her long-term combat, although do be sure to give her kills while you still can if you want to go to the Ilia route split, generally way easier than Sacae.

Around midgame, you get some pretty good units. Fir shows up with ok-ish bases but she's a myrmidon in a place infested with pirates so you can easily get her to level-up a lot just from that one map and her strength base is alright, although Rutger is definitely superior to her so if both have to fight for a deployment slot then it just comes down to personal preference. Shin is a mounted unit with the highest aid stat in the game so you can very easily find a use for him (Fun fact, unpromoted Shin is the only one who can rescue General Barth), And he has decent bases and decent growths, so he's a pretty good unit besides the fact that he's bow-locked, although you might want to refrain from using him too much if you don't want to go to Sacae. Thea is the Pegasus Knight I usually use, and in normal mode she's pretty bad, showing up after Shanna with lower base speed, but on Hard Mode I find it's easier to train her and she has a potentially really good long-term combat, although her start is pretty rocky. I usually like training her also because getting her and Shanna more exp than Sue and Shin allows you to go to Ilia. You also get Klein, who is a prepromote Sniper who is generally helpful for the next few maps but he'll probably fall off after that, and you also get Milady, one of the best units in the game, has amazing bases in Hard Mode and usually has high enough stats after just a few level-ups to instantly promote and gain that juicy +2 on every stat. Percival is also a great unit that you get around the same time who is pretty much self-sufficient without any investment and I definitely recommend using him. Other than that, having two staff users should come handy because quite a few maps encourage splitting up your units, that and the many status staves could use multiple Restores by turn.

But really, it's generally more fun to use anyone you want, those are just some units I mentioned because you have to keep these in mind. I mean I used Dorothy of all people last time and she turned into the MVP of my playthrough so if you wanna play for laughs then go ahead.

Personally the units I use if I want good units are Alan (Preferably with Lance because support bonuses),  Clarine, Rutger, Saul, Shin, Thea, Milady and Percival, and units I just like using just because are Lilina, Raigh, Ogier and Fir.

Basically a summary of what I can tell ya.

damn everyone saying "just use niime" but literally forgetting Raigh exists

raigh actually has good growths if yyou use him plus he's really cool and i like him so he is better than niime

19 minutes ago, forsettipatty said:

raigh actually has good growths if yyou use him plus he's really cool and i like him so he is better than niime

Niime's main draw is her high base Mag and A Rank in Staves.  Neither Raigh nor Sophia is likely to attain that Staff Rank unless you spend way too long grinding.  She probably won't be as good in combat as a sufficiently trained Raigh, but then she doesn't need to be if you use her mainly for healing.

i usually use raigh for apocalypse since his bulk is usually at least somewhat better than niimis, plus he can actually double with apocalypse if a build ring is used

20 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Regarding mages, you're going to want to avoid Sophia, who's almost as bad as Wendy.

Umm what? They both have horrific bases and bad join times, but Wendy's got good growths at least, while Sophia, well, take a look for yourself. 

Sofiya 60 55 40 30 20 20 55

Hp      Mag       Skill        Spd       Lck       Def        Res

People think she has good growths, but man, the only passable growths here are a 55 in mag and 40 in skill, and well the ridiculous res growth is great, every mage in existence will double and severely damage her while she is weighed down by flux, or not weighed down at all. Not to mention you are more then halfway through the game, and she will be averaging 50% accuracy against most enemies. Don't use Sophia. Ever.

For units I recommend, Normal mode you can use legitimately anyone you want (except Sophia, who still sucks majorly.) On hard mode, Marcus, Zealot, Echidna, and Percival are all good prepromotes for a couple chapters after they join, and Niime is the best unit in the game for warp-skipping, and does well in combat. Units that you can use throughout the game include Lance, Alan, Shanna (I prefer her to Tate even in hard mode, the best summary of this I can give is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREY779phfU), Rutger, Shin (Be wary, Sacae sucks. A LOT), Miledy, Lugh, and Clairine.

2 hours ago, forsettipatty said:

We didn't forget.  We just have more important things to consider besides Apocalypse use (which, in my history, has been unused).