What team should I use for FE6?

27 minutes ago, Hello72207 said:

Umm what? They both have horrific bases and bad join times, but Wendy's got good growths at least, while Sophia, well, take a look for yourself. 

Sofiya 60 55 40 30 20 20 55

Hp      Mag       Skill        Spd       Lck       Def        Res

People think she has good growths, but man, the only passable growths here are a 55 in mag and 40 in skill, and well the ridiculous res growth is great, every mage in existence will double and severely damage her while she is weighed down by flux, or not weighed down at all. Not to mention you are more then halfway through the game, and she will be averaging 50% accuracy against most enemies. Don't use Sophia. Ever.

For units I recommend, Normal mode you can use legitimately anyone you want (except Sophia, who still sucks majorly.) On hard mode, Marcus, Zealot, Echidna, and Percival are all good prepromotes for a couple chapters after they join, and Niime is the best unit in the game for warp-skipping, and does well in combat. Units that you can use throughout the game include Lance, Alan, Shanna (I prefer her to Tate even in hard mode, the best summary of this I can give is this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREY779phfU), Rutger, Shin (Be wary, Sacae sucks. A LOT), Miledy, Lugh, and Clairine.

I agree Sophia sucks, but imho, Wendy has it far worse owing to her class. This game is one of the worst to be an armored knight in thanks to giant maps. Then consider that she joins right before the Western Isles, where she's constantly facing WTD. Then consider that she's a melee class. Yeah... it ain't looking good.

RE: growths, this is what Wendy's got:

Wendy 85 40 40 40 45 30 10

That's... not exactly what I call "good growths".

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

I agree Sophia sucks, but imho, Wendy has it far worse owing to her class. This game is one of the worst to be an armored knight in thanks to giant maps. Then consider that she joins right before the Western Isles, where she's constantly facing WTD. Then consider that she's a melee class. Yeah... it ain't looking good.

RE: growths, this is what Wendy's got:

Wendy 85 40 40 40 45 30 10

That's... not exactly what I call "good growths".

Fffffff....  I was about to say this, but you beat me to the punch.

If there's one thing I can add onto this, it's not to put too much stock in growth rates.  RNG screwage is a thing that exists, which is why base stats are generally held in higher importance.  Of course, if both your base stats AND your growth rates are satisfactory, then all the more power to you.

Apocalypse is actually really great in Niime's hands because +5 magic extends her staff range. She's one of my favorite FE6 units, honestly.

23 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Wendy and Sophia both suck ass, but Sophia at least gets you a Guiding Ring in her join chapter. Wendy gets you jack shit

This is true, you want to move Sophia to the end of her joining chapter. That doesn't really equate to "putting her on your team" though.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Apocalypse is actually really great in Niime's hands because +5 magic extends her staff range. She's one of my favorite FE6 units, honestly.

This is true, you want to move Sophia to the end of her joining chapter. That doesn't really equate to "putting her on your team" though.

It doesn't, but it is at least a bigger contribution overall.

As a very general rule, use anyone who's good right now. In particular, most prepromotes have very little (if any) lategame potential, but a lot of them (for example Marcus, Jerrot, Echidna, or Cecilia) are very helpful as temporary characters. Just drop them when they fall behind the rest of your team. Some of the later prepromotes (Perceval, Igrene, Niime, Yoder) are great units for the rest of the game.

For growth characters, it's kinda similar. It's fine if a unit is a bit underleveled, but if you struggle feeding XP to a unit, you can usually drop them without really losing too much. On your first playthrough, I'd avoid using Wade, Wendy, Barth or Sophia; otherwise, all growth units are at the very least salvagable.

Armor Knights and Archers (not Nomads!) are kinda underwhelming. All three early healers are decent - Saul's probably the best all things considered, but Clarine can be a very fun dodgetank in the lategame. Do focus on only one healer though, or they all end up underleveled. You can't really go wrong with cavaliers. Deke and Rutger are both very good, both immediately and longterm. Milady is the queen of FE6; slightly less so on normal difficulty (her stats increase on HM), but still. Shanna is a good candidate to promote early (before chapter 9) because her wielding swords is very helpful in the axe-heavy midgame.