Do you think it's possible for Koei Techmo to be working on warriors 2 right now?

Gordin

It really is selfish to say "you shouldn't get a Warriors game because it MIGHT cost me one New Heroes banner in Heroes." And I say that as someone whose only appeal from Heroes is New Heroes banners.

For the record... Fire Emblem Heroes is a shamelessly terrible mobile cash grab, and a far more unworthy spinoff than Warriors or even the idol-obsessed TMS. And I say that as someone who has dolphined harder than he'd like to admit.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

It really is selfish to say "you shouldn't get a Warriors game because it MIGHT cost me one New Heroes banner in Heroes." And I say that as someone whose only appeal from Heroes is New Heroes banners.

For the record... Fire Emblem Heroes is a shamelessly terrible mobile cash grab, and a far more unworthy spinoff than Warriors or even the idol-obsessed TMS. And I say that as someone who has dolphined harder than he'd like to admit.

And? I'm saying I personally don't want one for a while so Rowan and Lianna don't have a future in other FE content. Especially with what they did with Itsuki and TMS, where they have Itsuki shine side by side with the lords on the anniversary video with the 8bit thing. Which is fine but shouldn't happen with discount Ephraim and Eirika.

Plus, making one as of now will only have it be another rushed cashgrab like the original game. Koei has plenty of work as is, if Warriors 2 takes a while long after the "shameless terrible cashgrab" reaches the end of its lifespan, that's great.

5 minutes ago, Seazas said:

And? I'm saying I personally don't want one for a while so Rowan and Lianna don't have a future in other FE content. Especially with what they did with Itsuki and TMS, where they have Itsuki shine side by side with the lords on the anniversary video with the 8bit thing. Which is fine but shouldn't happen with discount Ephraim and Eirika.

Plus, making one as of now will only have it be another rushed cashgrab like the original game. Koei has plenty of work as is, if Warriors 2 takes a while long after the "shameless terrible cashgrab" reaches the end of its lifespan, that's great.

The original game offered hundreds of hours of content, had excellent combat polish, and included quality of life features that other Musuo games would beg for. Nintendo held them to a quality standard, even if that quality standard didn't include a better roster. Hardly a cash grab. (Well, except for the whole selling NPCs thing. Koei should be ashamed.)

4 minutes ago, Seazas said:

You know, your bias is rather unwelcome here, I personally would like to see heroes burn to death, painfully, but I wouldn’t say that you shouldn’t have it. If you dislike it fine don’t buy or play it. 

I want the story to focus on Darios tbh. It'd be really interesting and it could be about him making his way back to the real world or sth. It's got tons of potential in that they could feature parts of other fire emblem worlds (and glorious tailtean) and just all in all a good time

44 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

The original game offered hundreds of hours of content, had excellent combat polish, and included quality of life features that other Musuo games would beg for. Nintendo held them to a quality standard, even if that quality standard didn't include a better roster. Hardly a cash grab. (Well, except for the whole selling NPCs thing. Koei should be ashamed.)

Uh huh... We literally have rocks that are png low effort textures for example. Along with clones yet they never really did much with such an easy concept since the roster was still awful even AFTER DLC which is just... ??? Hyrule Warriors had so much more after DLC. Isn't the Warriors History Mode Maps literally just recycled content with still portraits all the way through? It's not that great either. Along with the three games being the only focused content with DLC not changing that along with baffling decisions like Azura in DLC. Yet they still had the gall to throw NPC clones that should've been in base game.

Warriors felt rushed. We still don't have some iconic classes in the game, it's ridiculous. The fact that we have to wait until the SEQUEL for a shot of unique classes like Armors, Cavs and other stuff is weird.

43 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

You know, your bias is rather unwelcome here, I personally would like to see heroes burn to death, painfully, but I wouldn’t say that you shouldn’t have it. If you dislike it fine don’t buy or play it. 

Good thing I clarified that I don't want Warriors 2 to happen SOON, not ever. Koei being split up on resources and projects will only gimp Warriors 2 in the long run, that being one of my reasons than just my bias against Rowan and Lianna

31 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I'll also say that Warriors OCs are typically cut in sequels (as we see with Dragon Quest Heroes and very likely with HW Age of Calamity). There's no guarantee that Rowan and Lianna have a future in Warriors, let alone anything else.

Considering Koei recycles assets all the time, Rowan and Lianna will appear again. Age of Calamity is different purely because it's a canon entry. 

Edited by Seazas

Why is Rowan so worthy of obsessive fixation upon?

He's insipid and unremarkable, maybe mildly annoying at worst, but some people act like he and/or his sister burned their crops, poisoned their well, and murdered every firstborn child. I don't really understand how he can inspire much feeling beyond apathy.

39 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Why is Rowan so worthy of obsessive fixation upon?

He's insipid and unremarkable, maybe mildly annoying at worst, but some people act like he and/or his sister burned their crops, poisoned their well, and murdered every firstborn child. I don't really understand how he can inspire much feeling beyond apathy.

I don't agree with this, and I don't agree with Florete's assertion that he's inoffensive at worst.

Mileage varies. I find him incredibly annoying. From his stupid Goku hair to his Naruto-esque personality to his grating voice acting. Every aspect of his design is what I do not like in a protagonist, and he has far more dialogue than the average non-lord FE character. Warriors supports are really long.

And then there is the simple fact that he is a character that they spent resources designing and animating and writing. He could have been literally ANYONE from the franchise. Even if you assume that the tradeoff is a clone for a clone, having him over any clone character is still offensive.

19 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't agree with this, and I don't agree with Florete's assertion that he's inoffensive at worst.

Mileage varies. I find him incredibly annoying. From his stupid Goku hair to his Naruto-esque personality to his grating voice acting. Every aspect of his design is what I do not like in a protagonist, and he has far more dialogue than the average non-lord FE character. Warriors supports are really long.

And then there is the simple fact that he is a character that they spent resources designing and animating and writing. He could have been literally ANYONE from the franchise. Even if you assume that the tradeoff is a clone for a clone, having him over any clone character is still offensive.

Mileage varies, indeed.

I guess I just found him too unremarkable to really care much about his design or voice. I don't usually play as him and he doesn't show up much outside of the comparatively short Story Mode.

I dislike Camilla and Tharja (and that whole big-tiddy goth stalker archetype in general), but I feel like it'd be a waste of my energy to fixate on them and their inclusions in the roster.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Said it better than I could, Rowan is the worst.

6 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Mileage varies, indeed.

I guess I just found him too unremarkable to really care much about his design or voice. I don't usually play as him and he doesn't show up much outside of the comparatively short Story Mode.

I dislike Camilla and Tharja (and that whole big-tiddy goth stalker archetype in general), but I feel like it'd be a waste of my energy to fixate on them and their inclusions in the roster.

Camilla and Tharja at the very least earned their popularity and spot in the roster among many others. Rowan is an annoying random OC that is prioritized over so many inclusions that earned their right to be in Warriors yet couldn't be in it. Even worse with Koei's tone deaf excuse of "too many sword lords!" then waste resources on the most generic cookie cutter sword lord to ever exist with an awful character.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

I agree. It's been a weird year though. 

Chances are, it will be some combination of:

DW10

SW5

DW Strikeforce, Godeseekers or other similar spinoff of DW

New licensed spinoff

What we actually got was:

A mobile gacha game - enjoy that SSR Middle Finger!

DW9 Empires. An Empires version of one of the worst games of all time.

Just... even if my expectations were below sea level, I could not have possibly anticipated that level of disappointment and customer contempt.

6 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

What we actually got was:

A mobile gacha game - enjoy that SSR Middle Finger!

DW9 Empires. An Empires version of one of the worst games of all time.

Just... even if my expectations were below sea level, I could not have possibly anticipated that level of disappointment and customer contempt.

I thought you said that, Koei said they weren't gonna do a 9 empire?

30 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I thought you said that, Koei said they weren't gonna do a 9 empire?

That's what I thought. I was relying on other people's translation. The truth is probably that the community assumed there wouldn't be a 9 Empire because they said no more open world. DW9 Empire is strangely not open world.

That said, even without the open world flaws, I think it'll still be a bad game unless they go back to the traditional combat system over the flow system.

16 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That's what I thought. I was relying on other people's translation. The truth is probably that the community assumed there wouldn't be a 9 Empire because they said no more open world. DW9 Empire is strangely not open world.

That said, even without the open world flaws, I think it'll still be a bad game unless they go back to the traditional combat system over the flow system.

So I was right... yea me... I guess.

Those are really disappointing announcements thou... 

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Another New Game+ Expo happening on March 4, with Koei Tecmo as a presenter. Given what happened last year, don't expect much, if anything new. Probably just them showing off Dynasty Warriors 9 Empires and that mobile game if I had to guess.

Yeah, probably.

Pretty sure if they did another Nintendo collab, Nintendo would wanna show it off in their own presentation.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

Yeah, probably.

Pretty sure if they did another Nintendo collab, Nintendo would wanna show it off in their own presentation.

I agree. I think the absolute best we can hope for in this venue is a new licensed spinoff like a Persona 5 Strikers or One Piece. If so, please let it be Final Fantasy, Tales, Ys, or Trails.

2 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Yeah, probably.

Yup. Although if we're lucky and they are working on FE Warriors 2, I can easily see another Fire Emblem Direct in the vein of the 2017 one. We'll have a Warriors game, potentially a remake (if any of the rumors are to be believed), and possibly an announcement for another Fire Emblem Switch game! (...although they may want to hold back on the last thing, given how Three Houses was delayed...) All we'd need now is a mobile game, and reviving Cipher on a mobile platform ala Hearthstone would be dope. 

14 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

Yup. Although if we're lucky and they are working on FE Warriors 2, I can easily see another Fire Emblem Direct in the vein of the 2017 one. We'll have a Warriors game, potentially a remake (if any of the rumors are to be believed), and possibly an announcement for another Fire Emblem Switch game! (...although they may want to hold back on the last thing, given how Three Houses was delayed...) All we'd need now is a mobile game, and reviving Cipher on a mobile platform ala Hearthstone would be dope. 

Another FE direct would be a dream, but the stars would have to align for us to have multiple FE projects lined up simultaneously like that again. Nintendo also seems to mostly be moving away from years-long hype cycles, when they can achieve the same sales success with a mere few months of hype that the community more or less self-sustains.

As for a card game, digital CCG's have a pretty poor track record. I imagine they're one of the cheapest, laziest ways to enter the live service market, but they also seem to have one of the lowest success rates. Hearthstone did very well (though it's on the decline), as does Magic. The same can't be said for Gwent, the Elder Scrolls one, the DotA one, or the various indie ones.

9 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

As for a card game, digital CCG's have a pretty poor track record. I imagine they're one of the cheapest, laziest ways to enter the live service market, but they also seem to have one of the lowest success rates. Hearthstone did very well (though it's on the decline), as does Magic. The same can't be said for Gwent, the Elder Scrolls one, the DotA one, or the various indie ones.

I'll take your word for it. I just think it's a nice way to keep the card game alive in some way while also expanding the audience. Although it may end up competing with FEH, and IntSys most definitely doesn't want that. 

Do y'all think that tomorrow's Nintendo direct followed by the aforementioned NG+ expo could heighten FEW2's chances? If memory serves, wasn't Age of Calamity revealed in a Nintendo Direct mini then showed off more by Koei Tecmo independently? Pretty sure that's how FEW1 was handled as well. Nintendo wants the reveal then hands off the advertising to KT.