Do you gravitate toward a male or a female Byleth?

Byleth as a lady fits the story more imo.

Especially if you seen SS final cutscene. It's jarring with Byleth as a man.

Also, lady Byleth better expresses emotions in part 2 than lord Byleth. As in all routes, Byleth becomes more and more expressive over time and lady Byleth best shows that progression.

That what I feel anyways.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to relationship-heavy games (romance in particular), I stick with my natural gender, that being male. Playing as a female and romancing guys in such situations just doesn't sit right with me (and I don't do same-sex relationships in games so that's not an option).

If it's a game where everything is kept rather simple like Pokemon, Monster Hunter, Xenoblade Chronicles X, or such like that, I might try a female every now and then.

1 hour ago, Laozing said:

Byleth as a lady fits the story more imo.

Especially if you seen SS final cutscene. It's jarring with Byleth as a man.

Also, lady Byleth better expresses emotions in part 2 than lord Byleth. As in all routes, Byleth becomes more and more expressive over time and lady Byleth best shows that progression.

That what I feel anyways.

I thought the opposite. If you watch side by side comparison on youtube, you can see that Female Byleth showed more expression from the start of the game and that kinda broke the point of Byleth showing more and more emotions over time. In supports like Manuela, where Byleth was more of stoic guy at first but at A support, he got tongue tied when she asked why don't men like her saying 'Uhh'. And Female Avatar can't get the narrative because even her neutral portarit was smiling from the start. Also I don't understand what's wrong with Male Avatar on SS final cutscene.

That's not all the reasons though. Nintendo using Male Byleth in trailers kinda makes me gravitate towards him. Plus I have a hard time believeing people called Female Byleth's Cute innocent girl's face 'Ashen Demon.'

Edited by Mashiro Yuuki

17 hours ago, Crysta said:

It's an insane concept, but there are weirdos like me who simply enjoy trying out new things.

Oh trust me. I plan to use her as well at some point (Cause for some reason someone thought gender locking some classes was a good idea.) but there's a difference in trying stuff out or defaulting to something.

I prefer Male avatar/self-inserts (though Robin, Corrin and Byleth all have established characters that don't let them truly qualify as such). I'll probably do a female run just to get Darting Blow but it's not a priority, and playing a Female romancing Males is awkward for me.

Gameplay wise, advantages are:

Female: Early Sylvain (irrelevant if playing BL), Darting Blow, easier Flying levels since you can start at level 10 and only need a D (as opposed to 20 and needing C)

Male: Quick Riposte (though that comes late it's obscenely good to have in Maddening NG+), earlier access to high rank gauntlets, Poison Strike and Lifetaker I guess though both are situational skills

I don't count Gremory (Byleth's spell list sucks) or Falcon Knight (WL is overall better or at least interchangeable), and the DLC classes Valkyrie and Dark Flier (for same reason as Gremory) as advantages for females. They give more options but they're functionally inferior unless your Byleth is magic-blessed.

Yes, female Byleth can use Gauntlets, she just doesn't get classes related to them which means Male Byleth can rack up Brawling levels faster, though this only really might matter on Maddening where their guaranteed double is very useful.

Edited by Ivan Tridelan

I really don't like either of their designs and usually would rather pick the female version, like I do for fates (who has plenty of hot guys) and awakening (also has hot guys) but honestly in 3h i mostly like the girls better so sometimes i'll pick male.. even though i dont like his design that much. considering I have the dlc, i get femleths good outfit instead of the utter shit they originally designed for her so that's a plus I guess.

but yeah, I always pick female avatar in the other games.

Female Byleth , no contest. I'm not fond of M!Byleths design and kinda looks more generic and boring for me. And i did liked Male Robin better and i think Female Corrin is overrated. So Female Byleth is the fist female avatar i like in FE over the male one. (both Kris were fine for me but used female). I also think female Byleth works better for the story for me, but that's subjective.

I keep alternating between the two. Neither feels canon from my perspective and I'm pretty apathetic toward the design and outfit.

As far as self insert avatars go and games that let you pick, I don't really think about it but I do know instinctively I didn't like male Corrin. Being that indecisive as a dude was a total turn off. I felt like he had no spine lol. Robin felt more female than male but only cause Chrom kept saying things that made me cringe if we were both dudes. I get he talked about ideals and what not but some lines were pretty embarrassing. What redeemed male Robin was the female marriage options. Tharja, Say'ri, and Severa were difficult to pass up.

Post the waifu saga beginning in this franchise at Awakening, this title actually had a few females I love but simultaneously refuse to lewd. I didn't think Nintendo could pull it off but they did. After so many of their characters (Peach, Bowsette, Samus, Zelda, and etc) becoming victims of rule 34, this game put out a few people it sucks to see get the 34 treatment on the internet. ~shrugs~

I played female Byleth the first time, and male Byleth the second time.  Male didn't feel right, so I'll be doing just female in future runs.

I play male, I did female once for Crimson Flower but that was mostly to get the skills for Pegasus and Falcon Knight.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:43 PM, lecongvu said:

I had this discussion years ago about why people were likely to choose a male Robin or a female Corrin. It all boiled down to fitting certain archetypes and expectations. With Robin, it was the "brother betraying brother" narrative. With Corrin, it was a woman making a choice that torn herself apart.

So I wonder if the same thing apply to Byleth? Do you like a male Byleth over a female one, or the opposite? I choose female Byleth, not just because she was meant to be an artificial reincarnation of Sothis, but also because of how she acts to her students--she is more mother than teacher to them. She (the player) controls so much of their lives, as well as providing comfort to these mentally-troubled young men and women.

In most games with a customizable protagonist my playthroughs will even out as far as gender is concerned since I want to experience all the game. Regarding this game Byleth (f) seems anachronistic and just doesn't tend to fit aesthetically with the rest of the cast so I tend to like the character far less. DLC outfits made her playable though, so yay.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, forsettipatty said:

I really don't like either of their designs and usually would rather pick the female version, like I do for fates (who has plenty of hot guys) and awakening (also has hot guys) but honestly in 3h i mostly like the girls better so sometimes i'll pick male.. even though i dont like his design that much. considering I have the dlc, i get femleths good outfit instead of the utter shit they originally designed for her so that's a plus I guess.

but yeah, I always pick female avatar in the other games.

Speaking of, my first run in Awakening was with a female. ...And Awakening is literally the only game out of it, Fates and Three Houses where there is actually a chance I would run a female avatar, as it manages to have some guys I actually care about enough to consider marrying.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:14 AM, Ivan Tridelan said:

Yes, female Byleth can use Gauntlets, she just doesn't get classes related to them which means Male Byleth can rack up Brawling levels faster, though this only really might matter on Maddening where their guaranteed double is very useful.

Technically, if you have the DLC, there's War Cleric, but the class is kinda lackluster.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:14 AM, Ivan Tridelan said:

Uh Brigand has class modifier of 1 for Brawling and one of Byleth's best classes EO has a modifier of 2 so the female one can also get Brawling levels pretty fast too. From level 5 to level 10 Fighter gives 1 to Axes, Bows, and Brawling. Then from level 10 to 20 Brigand also gives 1 (which most people go for Death Blow) and if you can switch around chapter 8 or 9 (I forgot when you get the EO class) then you get a mod of 2. Female Byleth has plenty of chances to increase the skill. Male only has the advantage of getting a 3 modifier after level 20 and two classes for Brawling Grappler and War Master. Post DLC release now Females can get the 3 modifier too from War Cleric. It just isn't a great class to end with. Males don't get levels faster. But males do get better end game options. 

Male. Female avatar looks weird and not fit in with the character's background or tone of the story at all.

And you didn't understand the point of SS if you think Byleth is Sothis's reincarnation.

Also,

On 3/30/2020 at 8:13 AM, lecongvu said:

also because of how she acts to her students--she is more mother than teacher to them. She (the player) controls so much of their lives, as well as providing comfort to these mentally-troubled young men and women.

Why can't Male characters also be like their father type and comforting teacher?

Edited by Yoshikage

Male for me, I always like how great the male avatars look. In Awakening Robin looks smart and sophisticated. Fates Corrin looks young and ambitious. And Three Houses Byleth looks sturdy and experienced. Don't get me wrong the females look fantastic as well but for first initial playthroughs its always male for me.

It's easy Male for me. Female avatar is really out of place in 3h compared to other fire emblem games. Very noticeable in cutscenes. 

Her design is still atrocious but at least she looks normal and tolerable to an extent in smash. But in main game, Male Byleth by a mile.

Edited by LeblancLowell