March's Mythic Hero - Bramimond: The Enigma

NSSKG151

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

私 (watashi) and 我 (wa), the latter only in the construction 我が (wa ga) meaning "my" or "our". Both are gender-neutral. The construction 我が is an older grammatical construction and has a more formal diction (alternatively used more poetically, though not in this particular case).

So yeah, that would offer an additional measure of support for Limstella being a "them". I know watashi the default option for anyone in Japanese in the average formal situation (and Limstella never appears in informal situations), but thats precisely why it's gender-neutral. It'd be harder to argue Limstella outside of artbooks and the like was gender-neutral if they used feminine or masculine pronouns and the like in FE7.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bramimond has the bad fortune of being in a pretty underwhelming Legendary lineup. I wouldn't mind spending some orbs on him but the odds of getting the underwhelming Legendary Grima or Bramilla who I already own are too high for me the justify spending too much orbs on him. Replacing Grima with Duma would have been a better scenario. 

It's nice to see we finally got a colorless time user in Heroes. I didn't expect Bramimond gotten all the four heroes' voices. Also, I'm kinda wondered why Bramimond saying in Lyn's voice shouting "The World would burn for all I care!", did Bramimond copied Lyn's dark side personality? I don't recall remembering Lyn would have say negative things about Elibe nor the other continents she had visited such as Askr nor the Fire Emblem Warriors' unnamed continent?

10 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

It is indeed Alfonse based on the Japanese voice actors.

Why did do you think they choose Tatsuhisa Suzuki instead of Jun Fukuyama since Alfonse isn't from Elibe? Bramimond only joined in Heroes not that long, he definitely don't know who Alfonse is since both of them are in different continents and he will possibly clash with Alfonse in one of Book 4 Chapters unless if he only mirroring Alfonso's voice after he gets summoned and meets up with Alfonse in the castle.

Edit: Nevermind, I just found an answer from an another thread that was just posted why Bramimond had so many voices and why Bramimond used Lyn's voice saying about Burn the World.

Edited by King Marth 64
Just found something.

1 hour ago, Endriu said:

There is more important things in life than to fuss over somebodys opinion on pixel chars, like real human beings for example. Especially in this time.

I'm still trying to understand why we needed colorless tomes

I'm ready to see how Bram will impact Aether Raids

The effect on the tome is hilarious 👀

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Bramimond, in response to Arcanite: Why wouldn't we need colorless times! 👌

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Bramimond, in response to Arcanite: Why wouldn't we need colorless times! 👌

Since it's a reflection you're supposed to say it backwards 

👌 !semit sselroloc deen ew t'ndluow yhW :etinacrA ot esnopser ni ,dnomimarB

That's how it works right

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

Since it's a reflection you're supposed to say it backwards 

👌 !semit sselroloc deen ew t'ndluow yhW :etinacrA ot esnopser ni ,dnomimarB

That's how it works right

(Three words: Nope, he doesn't speak backwards.)

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So yeah, that would offer an additional measure of support for Limstella being a "them". I know watashi the default option for anyone in Japanese in the average formal situation (and Limstella never appears in informal situations), but thats precisely why it's gender-neutral. It'd be harder to argue Limstella outside of artbooks and the like was gender-neutral if they used feminine or masculine pronouns and the like in FE7.

Limstella actually speaks informally to the player's characters in the game and uses the most feminine-leaning first-person pronoun in that situation. Their use of 我 (wa) is used to refer to their master (Nergal) and their subordinates (generic morph troops), as it is the appropriate diction to use in this case both to refer to one's superior and to speak towards one's subordinates as their superior.

Here are Limstella's lines in the chapter Victory or Death with their first-person pronouns bolded (unbolded first-person pronouns are assumed by context due to Japanese not requiring a subject if it is already known):

Beginning of chapter:

・・・おまえたちの
【エーギル】をもらう。
...omae-tachi no "ēgiru" wo morau.
...I will take your quintessence.

・・・・・・出でよ
我が下僕たち・・・・・・
......ide yo wa ga geboku-tachi......
......Come forth, my servants......

Before first combat:

おまえの命と、
【エーギル】をもらう。
omae no inochi to, "ēgiru" wo morau.
I will take your life and your quintessence.

すべては、
我があるじのために。
subete wa, wa ga aruji no tame ni.
Everything is for my master's sake.

After defeat:

私は
人間ではない。
watashi wa ningen de wa nai.
I am not human.

この身も、この心も
偽りのもの・・・
kono mi mo, kono kokoro mo itsuwari no mono...
This body and this heart are but fabrications...

そう。
この悲しみも・・・
sou. kono kanashimi mo...
Yes, this sorrow, too...

For other examples of writing gender-neutral characters in Japanese, one can just look at Fate. Enkidu, who is genderless, uses 僕 (boku), which is masculine-leaning. Chevalier d'Eon, who is gender-ambiguous, uses 私 (watashi), which is gender-neutral, but feminine-leaning. Shi Huangdi, who is genderless, uses 朕 (chin), which is the (obscure) royal "we" and is gender-neutral.

As a side note, Bramimond, naturally, uses the same first-person pronoun and manner of speech (which is much more apparent in Japanese than in English) as the person they are talking to.

1 minute ago, King Marth 64 said:

Why did do you think they choose Tatsuhisa Suzuki instead of Jun Fukuyama since Alfonse isn't from Elibe? Bramimond only joined in Heroes not that long, he probably definitely know don't know who Alfonse is since both of them are in different continents and he will possibly clash with Alfonse in one of Book 4 Chapters.

Bramimond died before Roy was born and has therefore never met him.

On the other hand, Alfonse is the "most main-ish character" of Heroes, and would presumably be among the first that they'd meet after being summoned. The summoner is unvoiced, so they don't count, leading to Bramimond's voices being those of the main characters of Blazing Sword and Heroes.

29 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I'm ready to see how Bram will impact Aether Raids

Depending on how fast Bramimond is, they either hard counter BH!Ike, or is just a soft check. If Bramimond is fast, they can nullify BH!Ike's Repel/Close Call effect, and with Hardy Bearing, they can take out BH!Ike with a Special trigger. If Bramimond is not fast, BH!Ike's Repel/Close Call can still mitigate a lot of damage, but Bramimond might still be able to kill BH!Ike with a Special trigger.

Effect on other super tanks varies. The most vulnerable super tanks are innately fast super tanks that rely on Drive and Guard buffs to patch up their Def/Res. Super tanks with 34 Spd or less that rely on Drives to patch up their Spd are less affected. Super tanks in general that dump Spd are also less affected. Super tanks that rely on bonus buffs and debuffs are unaffected.

Kronya and other Counter-Vantage units are unaffected.

I do not think Bramimond has much impact against Player Phase teams, although if his Def is awful, he can pose a challenge to certain Galeforce units who might accidentally one shot him.

Edited by XRay

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

Depending on how fast Bramimond is, they either hard counter BH!Ike, or is just a soft check. If Bramimond is fast, they can nullify BH!Ike's Repel/Close Call effect, and with Hardy Bearing, they can take out BH!Ike with a Special trigger. If Bramimond is not fast, BH!Ike's Repel/Close Call can still mitigate a lot of damage, but Bramimond might still be able to kill BH!Ike with a Special trigger.

Effect on other super tanks varies. The most vulnerable super tanks are innately fast super tanks that rely on Drive and Guard buffs to patch up their Def/Res. Super tanks with 34 Spd or less that rely on Drives to patch up their Spd are less affected. Super tanks in general that dump Spd are also less affected. Super tanks that rely on bonus buffs and debuffs are unaffected.

Kronya and other Counter-Vantage units are unaffected.

I do not think Bramimond has much impact against Player Phase teams, although if his Def is awful, he can pose a challenge to certain Galeforce units who might accidentally one shot him.

I'm kinda sad that he's a Dark Blessed Hero, so I'll never be able to use him in Aether Raids.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm kinda sad that he's a Dark Blessed Hero, so I'll never be able to use him in Aether Raids.

You can still use him if you are not aiming for score and just looking at maintaining Tier 21. I have not used my Player Phase team in ages (been practicing my Kronya team during the off seasons), but it has no scoring potential whatsoever, and I used the team frequently when I was not playing competitively.

If I get a Gold Throne this week, I can retire from playing for rank and go back to using my Player Phase team since it is just so much more comfortable for me to use.

Edited by XRay

53 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

We also didn’t need colored bows and daggers, but here we are. 

And on that note, I can’t wait for 2021 to bring us colored staves....while we still don’t have personal weapons on any of the Book I staff units.

Edited by Tybrosion

23 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I sometimes use defensive Mythics in offense. For example this season Sothis is bonus and the only other bonus units I have built are Julia (who is -Atk) and Flame Emperor (armors in AR are big no so I don't even consider him). So having Sothis scoring wise is like having Julia (both scored 142 when in the team). So I was changing between the two of them this season (Julia was mostly used due to my liking for her). 

Also I am glad at how they portrayed Braimond, with great art, multiple VAs and a good skillset, but Robin does scare me quite a lot this month. 

Edited by SuperNova125

5 hours ago, Othin said:

I'm curious to see how Brammimond's gender will be listed in the game.

Sharena's "meet the heroes" refers to him as male.

37 minutes ago, Mercakete said:

Ahh, welp. She used "they" for the Flame Emperor, so that's already different. Shame.

14 hours ago, Florete said:

If that was all she'd said I wouldn't have responded to her in the first place. She went out of her way to express disappointment that it isn't a character she wants, a character who would have been the third mythic from that continent while Bramimond is the first from Elibe.

I don't think Tellius should get a third mythic so soon when many continents have none and the others only have one but do bare in mind we have four Heroes mythics (Eir, Thrasir, Peony and Lif) already. At least Tellius has good mythic hero candidates and I once made a thread on Reddit predicting that Tellius will have more mythics than any other continent barring Heroes.

33 minutes ago, Othin said:

Ahh, welp. She used "they" for the Flame Emperor, so that's already different. Shame.

To be fair, it makes sense. Blazing Blade makes it clear Bramimond was male before he became what he is now and his gender isn't intended to be a secret like the Flame Emperor's was.

1 hour ago, Mercakete said:

45 minutes ago, Othin said:

11 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

To be fair, it makes sense. Blazing Blade makes it clear Bramimond was male before he became what he is now and his gender isn't intended to be a secret like the Flame Emperor's was.

Sharena in Japanese uses the pronoun 己 (onore), a genderless "oneself", which is the same pronoun Athos uses in the Japanese version of Blazing Sword.

I know the English version of Blazing Sword has Athos refering to Bramimond as male, but the Japanese version doesn't to my knowledge.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

@Ice Dragon Limstella's card in Cipher actually has no listed sex/gender, which is usually used for checking certain skills, so it's basically confirmed I think.

B07-048.png

As for Bramimond, he was male before he became the void I guess. Now he is just... not much.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

@Ice Dragon Limstella's card in Cipher actually has no listed sex/gender, which is usually used for checking certain skills, so it's basically confirmed I think.

B07-048.png

As for Bramimond, he was male before he became the void I guess. Now he is just... not much.

That art is gorgeous. It makes me want a morph banner with Sonya, Ephidel, Limstella and Nergal perhaps, but I doubt it will ever be the case. 

I wasn't aware that Limstella was genderless, beforehand I always thought of them as a female due to the feminine name and in-game sprite. 

2 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

So? I was male before I became what I am now, too.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Sharena in Japanese uses the pronoun 己 (onore), a genderless "oneself", which is the same pronoun Athos uses in the Japanese version of Blazing Sword.

I know the English version of Blazing Sword has Athos refering to Bramimond as male, but the Japanese version doesn't to my knowledge.

Ooh, I'll take that. Does that seem notably atypical among Sharena's descriptions?

2 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

B07-048.png

I love that art.

5 minutes ago, Othin said:

Ooh, I'll take that. Does that seem notably atypical among Sharena's descriptions?

She doesn't use it often, no, but most of the time she just chooses to repeat the name of the hero she's talking about in those kinds of sentences. Though, the common alternative to onore there (自分 jibun) is gender neutral too. I don't think it's really a specific thing, personally.

Late to the party, but this is honestly the first Legendary/Mythic Hero banner I've been intrigued in for quite some time. I love how Altina and now Bramimond have blown open the doors for historical lore characters to make it in. Though Bramimond not wielding Apocalypse is bit of an eyebrow raiser.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

Not sure, honestly. Pronouns as a whole are less commonly used in Japanese compared to English, so it's honestly hard to find examples otherwise just I actual go looking around for them. In general, you'd normally just use the person's name instead of using a pronoun and then omit it entirely as long as you don't change who you're talking about.

Going through the four spring units that are visible by default, none of them have a single pronoun used in any of their text.

As for 己, this does happen to be a special case simply because it means "oneself" instead of "he", "she", or "it", but it also happens to be an uncommon word to use as it has a higher diction than common speech. As @SatsumaFSoysoy says, you'd normally use 自分 (jibun) instead.