Farewell to Manster

Harb1ng3r

As many people here probably already know, the awful Meath over Manster FEH localization error on Ced's unit description has been fixed. However, with that came a sad new reality: that Manster has been officially localized as Munster. Many people have expressed a bittersweet feeling as some of the old iconic fan localizations of characters, places, and weapons. While it's great to see Thracia and Jugdral as a whole enter more of the spotlight, it comes with the loss of icons. Whether it be Orsin and the Pugi Axe becoming Osian and his Vouge or the Yied desert becoming the Aed, more and more fan names are falling to official localization.

And this isn't a bad thing, obviously I'm grateful for the recognition of one of my favorite games ever made by the company that created it. It's just a sort of loss of things that I feel nostalgic for.

Today we saw a change that hits me personally the hardest with this bittersweet feeling. The city of Manster is such an iconic part of Thracia's narrative, it's home to the endgame, it's home to the infamous escape sequence that is the most recognizable series of chapters in Thracia. It's home to some of the most emotionally charged scenes in the whole game. The Manster District, named for this city, is the country that all but three or four chapters of the game take place in.

The Manster Escape Arc is the part of Thracia that makes people love the game for its story-gameplay interaction and unique set of challenges or hate the game for its brutality to blind players. The Manster escape sequence is Thracia. Almost the entire game takes place in the surrounding areas. It is my favorite country in any Fire Emblem game, it is the home of the game that got me into the online community after years of lurking. 

So goodbye Manster. I'll miss you.

Alright, that's my soliloquy. I guess I also have to change my profile image from Super Meath Boy, I'm glad that they fixed it.

Does anybody else have thoughts on this whole thing?

Yeah.  As this is specific to Jugdral, I'm shoving this into the subforum that's more specific to it.  Well, specific to that era, that is.

Name change?  There's, like, one that I have any sort of opinion on, and this isn't it.

Heh, now I can call it Munster cheese. The country is Munster, and Ced is the cheese.

I always find localization vs. fan translations very interesting. Sometimes they're completely different, and sometimes they're exactly the same. However, in this case, it's a very minor difference. I've got to wonder, though... where in the WORLD did they get Meath from?

31 minutes ago, indigoasis said:

I've got to wonder, though... where in the WORLD did they get Meath from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Meath

From Ireland, pretty much. It fits that the region, at least on the northern half of the peninsula, is named after Irish places.

It gets more varied on the south. As Luthecia is a French place (Lutetia), Kapathocia is in Turkey (Capadoccia), Ruthenia is a region in Eastern Europe where Ukraine, Slovakia, Romania, Poland, and Hungary intersect, Thracia from Thrace where Istanbul/Constantinople is, while Gruthia is... well, I couldn't find where Gruthia comes from.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Munster it is?

As a lad from there, I'm on board. The use of the Irish provinces in Northern Thracia(truly a weird thing considering reality) been a long in the tooth chop and change and if they're trying to (mostly) keep it the same I'm not going to judge.

3 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I've got to wonder, though... where in the WORLD did they get Meath from?

Meath essentially was a province once. It's still the name of one county (and Westmeath too) in Ireland

Meath is also the location of the Hill of Tara (a name that might ring a bell here), which was considered the seat of the High Kings in Irish myth.

4 hours ago, Harb1ng3r said:

Alright, that's my soliloquy. I guess I also have to change my profile image from Super Meath Boy, I'm glad that they fixed it.

I beautiful soliloquy it was, honestly. I quite agree with the sentiment, even not being a huge Judgral fan.

It's weird to see these longstanding fan translations now be incorrect, years of discussion are now using outdated terminology. While Intelligent Systems certainly isn't bound to follow fan translations, I think it would have been more convenient to avoid conflicting with them for reasons like this and in order to generally avoid confusion.

Looks like they're gonna have to update the Thracia translation patch again.

Munster, Connacht, Ulster and Leinster are the four provinces in Ireland, which is what Leif's country is modelled after. I don't know why you guys are getting mad at the change, this is probably what the Japanese where trying to say in the first place but couldn't due to the restrictions of their language

You know, considering things... is it really that emotional of a deal?

I'm pretty sure there was no fan translation involved here. Since the games used actual Latin script on their maps.

Jugdral | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom

It's all right there.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

On 4/1/2020 at 4:48 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

You know, considering things... is it really that emotional of a deal?

I'm pretty sure there was no fan translation involved here. Since the games used actual Latin script on their maps.

Jugdral | Fire Emblem Wiki | Fandom

It's all right there.

The names are Kaga's work, that's why they were changed.

3 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

The names are Kaga's work, that's why they were changed.

I really like the change from Thracia to Thracia the most.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:28 PM, Harb1ng3r said:

Whether it be Orsin and the Pugi Axe becoming Osian and his Vouge or the Yied desert becoming the Aed, more and more fan names are falling to official localization.

Why would they change Orsin's name, when there's a weapon in Awakening called "Orsin's Hatchet" and which is presumably named after him?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Why would they change Orsin's name, when there's a weapon in Awakening called "Orsin's Hatchet" and which is presumably named after him?

Same reason why there's two Arthurs.  Who.  Knows.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:31 PM, eclipse said:

I really like the change from Thracia to Thracia the most.

Yeah absolutely, I preffer Thracia though, sounds much more intimidating than Thracia.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:32 PM, Sayyyaka said:

Still not as bad as what they did to Sety.

Yes! Please keep Sety, even if it's not a real name, since when was Gheb a person's name?

And to respond to the OP, I agree, I honestly wish they just kept it as Manster, like the Katakana on the soldiers in FE5 reads "Mansutā" for their allegiance, so Manster, or maybe Manstar but it definitely doesn't say Munsuta.

It... honestly doesn't bother me all that much. I will still use whatever name I like for any given thing. I'm the guy who still calls Erynis "Ferry", despite how old that translation probably is. Even when it comes to games that were not Japan-only, I always called FE7's Earth Seal "Master Seal" anyway because that's the name of the item that does the same thing in almost every other game.

So yeah, Munster is still Manster to me, although I can see why some people prefer to not have the official translations change iconic fan translations.

17 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

And to respond to the OP, I agree, I honestly wish they just kept it as Manster, like the Katakana on the soldiers in FE5 reads "Mansutā" for their allegiance, so Manster, or maybe Manstar but it definitely doesn't say Munsuta.

The "uh" sound in Munster is closer to a Japanese "a" than a Japanese "u". Munster would indeed be transliterated as "Mansutā".

17 hours ago, Rosiero said:

The "uh" sound in Munster is closer to a Japanese "a" than a Japanese "u". Munster would indeed be transliterated as "Mansutā".

Then how would you write something for "Manster"? And it's not even that, they should consider also how it looks and sounds, it still stands that Munster is not near as intimidating and that the official map of Jugdral says "Manster"

Also I thought Munster was pronounced [Moon-ster]? Using an "uh" sounds like monster.

Edited by This boi uses Nino

On 4/15/2020 at 8:59 AM, indigoasis said:

I just realized something. He still says Meath in his voice lines.

They likely couldn’t get the actor to rerecord the lines with the whole pandemic thing.

On 4/16/2020 at 11:40 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

Then how would you write something for "Manster"? And it's not even that, they should consider also how it looks and sounds, it still stands that Munster is not near as intimidating and that the official map of Jugdral says "Manster"

Also I thought Munster was pronounced [Moon-ster]? Using an "uh" sounds like monster.

The official map of Jugdral was made by the Japanese, the same Japanese that brought us Zigludo’s Descent of Jihad.

Munster isn’t pronounced moon-ster.

27 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

The official map of Jugdral was made by the Japanese, the same Japanese that brought us Zigludo’s Descent of Jihad.

Munster isn’t pronounced moon-ster.

That was Nintendo of America, not the Japanese.

Also, I would assume it's Manster on the map since the Katakana us マンスター, where the romanji is Mansutā; with Manster as an approximation using English pronunciation rules and what the Japanese were trying to convey, since they were trying to render Munster as close they could in Japanese.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

It's pronounced "mun-ster," with the same first syllable "money" has. Which sounds like a cheese.