First Fan Game - Some Art Provided (Advice Appreciated!)

Mistweaver

Hey guys, I had posted a long time ago about creating a Fire Emblem Hack, but irl got in the way of such an ambitious project. With coronavirus keeping us all home, I have decided to try to give another crack at this pet project of mine. 

The way I want to structure the story of this hack is by having disjointed stories that all eventually come together, similar to how some of the newer Fire Emblem games have been structured (Shadows of Valentia, Three Houses, etc). I plan on having the plot follow three Lords at separate times: A common blacksmith named David, the daughter of a minor noble house named Christana, and a high ranking knight within the Holy Empire named Dreythus. However, instead of having separate acts for all the Lords, my vision for the hack is to have each chapter feature a different lord - think of how Chapter 5x of Sacred Stones is just plugged into Eirika's story. So for instance:

Chapter 1 - David
Chapter 2 - David
Chapter 3 - Christana
Chapter 4 - David
Chapter 5 - Dreythus
Chapter 6 - Christana

Eventually, all 3 Lords will come together to defeat the common enemy. I understand that with disjointed stories, this will prove to be challenging to form a cohesive narrative, but I'm hoping that this vision can result in a much more in-depth character driven story. In terms of gameplay, as a sort of purist I want to keep it as similar to the GBA:FE games as possible. Thus, I don't plan on introducing abilities or a magic/physical split. However, I do plan to make some changes that help balance classes a bit, such as nerfing cavalry units and 1-2 ranged weapons, buffing bow units, and changing how magic classes are used (specifically, I want stronger tomes such as Fimbulvetr and Fenrir to have a niche rather that be completely outclassed by a simple fire tome.) My hope is to create an engaging and interesting world where every chapter feels important to the story in some way. 

I'm currently using FEBuilderGBA, but I will explore other options as I continue some of the baseline work. I've attached the map of Chapter 1 and the playable character mugs (I'm aware some of the coloring may be off - I'll fix the palette's when I actually plug them into the game.) Let me know if you guys have any suggestions, feedback, or tips, I would greatly appreciate it. 

Chapter 1 map.png

Portrait Sheet 2.png

Edited by Mistweaver

Can't really give much feedback on Chapter 1 yet with the severe lack of enemies other than (presumably) the boss.

The portraits look relatively decent for being made in CharacterCreator, but you'll have to make mini portraits and talking+blinking frames for them unless you switch over to SRPG Studio.  You could use these as-is there after resizing them to fit in 96 x 96 squares, but you will have to do a lot more from the ground up, such as modifying the existing default classes, to make things more GBA-like.

12 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Can't really give much feedback on Chapter 1 yet with the severe lack of enemies other than (presumably) the boss.

The portraits look relatively decent for being made in CharacterCreator, but you'll have to make mini portraits and talking+blinking frames for them unless you switch over to SRPG Studio.  You could use these as-is there after resizing them to fit in 96 x 96 squares, but you will have to do a lot more from the ground up, such as modifying the existing default classes, to make things more GBA-like.

Thanks! I've formatted some of the portraits through Usenti already, but it's a pain in the butt - I'll get to all of them eventually haha. The first chapter is still a work in progress, I'm still working on changing the player units before adding enemy units. I guess I was just trying to see if my map designing was okay - I've been trying to take feedback from youtube videos on map designing and trying to make them engaging. 

Edited by Mistweaver