Save Data Between the Two Tellius Games

Holla99

I just bought Path of Radiance along with a GameCube Controller and memory card. I will be playing on a Wii as I do not own a GameCube. I will be buying Radiant Dawn at some point in the future.

I’m aware of some sort of data transfer between Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn I think? I’m assuming in order to do this I’ll also need to play Radiant Dawn on the same Wii? I really don’t know much about it. I mainly use my Wii U to play Wii games though nowadays.

What does this data transfer do exactly? I will play both games on my Wii if it’s worth it but if not I’d rather play Radiant Dawn on my Wii U.

Thanks for any clarification that you can provide.

Edited by Holla99

If you max out a character's level in PoR then you get stat bonuses in RD on that unit, you also get to transfer all the coin items from PoR to RD the coins have no use in PoR, but in RD they are used when forging weapons and increase stats on said weapons.  It is up to you if you want to use it or not, but I do recommend it because RD is harder then PoR and the stat bonuses do help.

also note that if you let a unit die in PoR, they will still live in RD

also there's some interesting story stuff that occurs if you transfer saves (most notably if you send A supports over, like ike x soren among others)

Also, I do not know which version of RD you have but if it’s the original you can’t transfer from a memory card with an Easy mode save. The game will always crash when trying to transfer, hopefully you have the patched version 

1 hour ago, EricaofRenais said:

If you max out a character's level in PoR then you get stat bonuses in RD on that unit.

It's not just maxing out character level. If you max the character's level in PoR, and cap some stats you'll get bonuses for each stat that you capped. I believe the bonus is +2 to each base stat receiving the bonus.

Also, yeah Radiant Dawn must have access to the PoR save file. Meaning you have to play on a Wii that has the memory card with PoR attached. You only need to do it once per save file. Once you get the bonuses, you could transfer the save to another system (say your Wii U) and play there.

Edited by Zanarkin

To get into a little detail if a character hit max level in PoR, they get a +2 in every stat they capped (+5 for HP) in RD, with the exception of Sothe, whose stats transfer over if they are above his RD bases. You get some weapon rank experience based on a characters ending weapon rank in PoR. A rank supports become "bond supports" that give +5 crit and crit, and RD has a support library that lets you read through the support conversations you unlocked in all of your PoR playthroughs. Also the coins you get in PoR transfer over to RD, and those can be used in the RD forging system. Some A rank supports can cause slight changes like adding some base conversations, or allow some additional characters to recruit someone. Of particular note, if you ever play through RD a second time, there is a major scene with Soren and Ike that only occurs if you A support them in both games on a second playthrough (there are more conditions you should look up if you want to seek this scene out).

1 hour ago, ciphertul said:

Also, I do not know which version of RD you have but if it’s the original you can’t transfer from a memory card with an Easy mode save. The game will always crash when trying to transfer, hopefully you have the patched version 

I don’t actually own RD yet. That will be a future investment as just getting POR was quite expensive already. Is there a way to tell if I have the patched version or not when I get a copy? I’m guessing by some small icon or serial number?

Edited by Holla99

You don't need to play both games on the same system because PoR save data will be on your memory card. However, I don't think a Wii U can use a memory card, so you'll have to play RD on a Wii. There is one more thing that could be considered mild spoilers for both games, but I'll cover them anyway. It's not technical, but will affect your gameplay for a decent portion of Radiant Dawn. 

Spoiler

About halfway through Path of Radiance, you will be given the option to recruit a thief by the name of Sothe. His stats aren't too great, and he doesn't get a promotion in FE9. Recruiting Sothe will mean that his stats will be directly imported into Radiant Dawn, unlike your other units, who have set stats (besides the +5 bonus you get for Lv20 promoted with a capped stat.) If you refuse to recruit him, he will still be playable in Radiant Dawn, where he acts your Jagen/Oifey for the first section of the game. Essentially, unless you want to have a bad Jagen in FE10, don't recruit Sothe.

6 minutes ago, Pro895 said:

You don't need to play both games on the same system because PoR save data will be on your memory card. However, I don't think a Wii U can use a memory card, so you'll have to play RD on a Wii. There is one more thing that could be considered mild spoilers for both games, but I'll cover them anyway. It's not technical, but will affect your gameplay for a decent portion of Radiant Dawn. 

Reveal hidden contents

About halfway through Path of Radiance, you will be given the option to recruit a thief by the name of Sothe. His stats aren't too great, and he doesn't get a promotion in FE9. Recruiting Sothe will mean that his stats will be directly imported into Radiant Dawn, unlike your other units, who have set stats (besides the +5 bonus you get for Lv20 promoted with a capped stat.) If you refuse to recruit him, he will still be playable in Radiant Dawn, where he acts your Jagen/Oifey for the first section of the game. Essentially, unless you want to have a bad Jagen in FE10, don't recruit Sothe.

Yeah Wii U does not have any GameCube Compatibility whatsoever only the original Wii has the GC controller and memory card slots.

28 minutes ago, Holla99 said:

I don’t actually own RD yet. That will be a future investment as just getting POR was quite expensive already. Is there a way to tell if I have the patched version or not when I get a copy? I’m guessing by some small icon or serial number?

You may want to look that up, I honestly don’t remember how to tell them apart. I have the unpatched version so I couldn’t tell you

7 hours ago, ciphertul said:

You may want to look that up, I honestly don’t remember how to tell them apart. I have the unpatched version so I couldn’t tell you

There is an easy way if you beat the game. On the unpatched version one of the character's descriptions is the same as another. Don't know otherwise.

This very website has a great section on this with all the information you might need: https://serenesforest.net/radiant-dawn/miscellaneous/data-transfer/  (might give some very minor spoilers I guess?)

On 4/2/2020 at 6:44 PM, Pro895 said:

Hide contents

Only if you get him to level 20, if you keep him at base level his stats won't transfer (and at lvl 20 his stats are almost always higher iirc).

3 hours ago, whase said:

Only if you get him to level 20, if you keep him at base level his stats won't transfer (and at lvl 20 his stats are almost always higher iirc).

I didn't expect most people to train Sothe to level 20 because of Volke, but this is neat.

9 minutes ago, Pro895 said:

I didn't expect most people to train Sothe to level 20 because of Volke, but this is neat.

If you have a lot of bexp leftover at the end of the game your best option for an easier RD are either Sothe or Geoffrey, IMO. They have the biggest impact yet require the least bexp to max from base level. (You might expect Haar but I believe he is strong enough as is, plus doesn't cap a whole lot naturally iirc. Nephenee, Marcia and Jill could be strong contenders but cost too much bexp usually.) In my experience either way~

6 hours ago, whase said:

If you have a lot of bexp leftover at the end of the game your best option for an easier RD are either Sothe or Geoffrey, IMO. They have the biggest impact yet require the least bexp to max from base level. (You might expect Haar but I believe he is strong enough as is, plus doesn't cap a whole lot naturally iirc. Nephenee, Marcia and Jill could be strong contenders but cost too much bexp usually.) In my experience either way~

I don't think it's worth it to use the BEXP on Sothe since I can't really expect much, if any, improvement without some serious RNG luck. Well, that, and I'd think it's better to just cap out the characters you've been using with the BEXP instead. Not to mention thanks to Blossom, he requires more BEXP anyway. For the OP, these are Sothe's base stats in Radiant Dawn:

35 18 4 20 20 15 14 9

Order is HP/Str/Mag/Skill/Speed/Luck/Defence/Resistance. Long story short, the risk of making him worse then he's one of the units that needs to carry the DB through the Early Game Hell that is part 1 obviously falls under the heading of "do not want".

@OP: The data transfer between PoR and RD takes the form of boosted stats for stats a max level character capped in PoR (+5 for HP, +2 for other stats). Also, there are bond supports formed between units that got A support in PoR (if they didn't have one, at least).

In my opinion, the only characters where capping them in PoR really makes a splash in RD are Jill and Nephenee. Jill because she's the best unit in her group but needs a little push to get rolling; Nephenee because there's a chapter where only she and Brom are playable and she profits a lot more from transfers than Brom does. With statboosters and some rigged BEXP levels, they can go into RD with +2 in Str/Spd/Def (or at least Str/Spd), which makes their immediate combat utility so much better.

Apart from that, transfers obviously still help, but it's completely fine to just focus on the units that you like and that you want to use again in RD. Since Ike needs to be trained anyway, you might as well cap him (and it does make him into an even more impressive unit in RD). Other units, very broadly speaking of course, are either less likely to cap in stats that they would want (Boyd and Spd, for example), don't really need transfers (Haar, who also needs a lot of rigging to cap anything meaningful) or aren't as essential in RD - which isn't to say "don't use them", just "use them if you want".

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I don't think it's worth it to use the BEXP on Sothe since I can't really expect much, if any, improvement without some serious RNG luck. Well, that, and I'd think it's better to just cap out the characters you've been using with the BEXP instead. Not to mention thanks to Blossom, he requires more BEXP anyway. 

I just took a look at his actual average stats, and fair, it appears my approach only works for my very specific playstyle. The units I play with reach max level naturally very easily, which means there's no bexp required there. And I only use stat boosters to cap stats, which means that I'm left with a bunch of statboosters I can dump on Sothe for a one-on-one conversion to RD.

But yes, if any of your used units aren't max level before the final chapter, use your bexp to max them out. (Even if it won't make them cap any stats)

If you beat PoR once, you can use a different mode for level ups, where your stats are not determined randomly. This is a really good way to get caps for characters on certain stats, but it can be time consuming (you need to award them 1 exp using bexp till level cap) or be really careful with combat. Also some characters, like Mordecai and speed, will never cap their stats. Even if you use all the available boosts and get a level up point in said stat at every level.

I was sad, +2 spd Mordecai would be a fucking beast in part 2 and parts of part 3

Ah, the mode is called fixed mode and here is an explanation of it:

https://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/general/fixed-mode/

Edited by Zanarkin

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2020 at 9:11 PM, Zanarkin said:

There is an easy way if you beat the game. On the unpatched version one of the character's descriptions is the same as another. Don't know otherwise.

After doing some online research the newer patched version of the game has a 2014 copyright on the back of the box as they were printed in 2014 and released in 2015. I have ordered a copy from Amazon and have yet to get it but considering it’s a new copy and not a used one it’s likely the patched version. I won’t be able to check until I get it of course.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:26 AM, Holla99 said:

After doing some online research the newer patched version of the game has a 2014 copyright on the back of the box as they were printed in 2014 and released in 2015. I have ordered a copy from Amazon and have yet to get it but considering it’s a new copy and not a used one it’s likely the patched version. I won’t be able to check until I get it of course.

Well got my copy of RD in the mail today and I’m confused. I had read that the reprints had the newer ESRB Logo and Nintendo Logo as well as a 2014 copyright date.

Mine has the new logos but the original 2007 copyright. I’m guessing it is a reprint of some kind but might be a different batch from the 2014 ones and they just didn’t change the copyright on them. Not sure.