Can we talk about how Binding Blade is kinda a huge mess?

Sometime last year I started a PMU for FE11, I'm sorry this is not an FE6 example but I don't have any of those recorded, and one of the units picked for me was Dolph. Everyone here should know that Dolph on H5 is probably bottom 5 units in the game in terms of performance, the man gets doubled and one rounded by anything and the only thing he has going for him is C lances so he can use forged a ridersbane to kill cavs.

most of his levels were nothing but HP and DEF, because his growth in HP is 70% and 45% in DEF which are pretty high for for FE11 standards. When I got to Altea castle, which has Manaketes that can have up to 26 Speed, I had no one on my roster that escaped doubling range of the Manaketes so I needed someone who could eat 2 hits from them. So I had to do this.

Spoiler

5cab9bd10ff49_Imadethedecision.png.b58cf812dab8a231c7ec7e36efb3540a.png

What Dolph offers is C rank lances and the general promotion bonuses. I know I was forced to use him, but what if in one of my iron mans I didn't have anyone alive who could reliably reach the required benchmark to not get doubled by the chapter 17 manaketes, even changing your paladins into swords masters isn't a guarantee if they don't get enough speed level ups. Once I promoted him he got so much use, he can't double anything, his strength is only OK at this point in the game, and relies and forged weaponry to kill anything efficiently. BUT WHO CARES! A few chapter later he capped defence, and while his combat was still pretty bleh, he did his job well and ate hits for the rest of my party so we could move up safely before getting drowned in reinforcements. when I iron man FE11, if I screwed up and lost units and don't like where my levels are going, I will consider picking up Dolph and feeding him a few kills with a forged ridersbane to make sure I have someone to promote in case key units can't make it to the thresholds. 

Barth in FE6 is somewhat of a similar unit to me. The only growths he needs imo is HP and DEF in which he has 100% in HP and 40% in DEF. What he has over Dolph is that he is level 9 and can get promoted after 1 level up if needed. A certain YouTuber, in his iron man, got lance killed and had a lackluster Allen, as well as got Marcus killed early. He was running out of front liners really fast. So he promoted Barth at level 10 giving him an extra 4 DEF and HP. 19 DEF by that point in the game is nothing to shake a stick at (until said youtuber proceeded to run him into an armor slayer like an idiot), and if you wait a bit and feed him a little more he can be even better. Barth can really be helpful when stakes are higher, is it efficient? Absolutely not! Is Barth's combat gonna ever be really good? Most likely not, but FE6, as well as other games with that design philosophy, have lots of options. If you know how the game works and know the thresholds needed you are given many choices on what you can do to salvage errors that you make. And people who know the game well can find a way to use someone like Barth well if they need to, even though is widely considered to be one of the worst units.

FE6 I find to be a very rewarding game when understood, more so than most of the series. Why do you think so many LTC/0% growths players love FE12 so much? Because you have a huge challenge that can be conquered in a billion different ways by discovering the potential of so many units.

P.S. - I lost the data for the PMU so I never got to finish it and I'M SO MAD ABOUT IT! I made it to chapter 24.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, eclipse said:

Start reading.

And take this time to grow, both as a person and as a FE player.  Right now, you're limiting yourself based on your preferences, and arguing against something because of it.  It's a bad habit, and one that isn't going to benefit you in the long run.  Take the time to try something completely out of your comfort zone - in this case, evaluate FE6 units strictly on what they can do for you, and be prepared to swap units out if someone better comes along.  At the very least, you'll learn how to better evaluate a situation before jumping in.

Ghee thanks for the advice. That doesn't mean I should still like the game for what it is whether you get timed units that have purpose or not. And like I said before, I've already tried doing things out of my comfort zone. Doesn't mean it has to work in my favor. And whether FE6 has units that serve purposes, the fact remains of what I mostly said. End of story.

And I'm least bothered about ironman runs or even how others play FE6 in general. 

18 hours ago, eclipse said:

Start reading.

And take this time to grow, both as a person and as a FE player.  Right now, you're limiting yourself based on your preferences, and arguing against something because of it.  It's a bad habit, and one that isn't going to benefit you in the long run.  Take the time to try something completely out of your comfort zone - in this case, evaluate FE6 units strictly on what they can do for you, and be prepared to swap units out if someone better comes along.  At the very least, you'll learn how to better evaluate a situation before jumping in.

I think most people would prefer to use units they like, and it's not their fault that IS cant balance two characters to save their life. Isnt that what alot of this topic Is? Bad balance in a FE game... again? 

Not that I dont agree on trying new things, because that's true, but I dont think there is anything wrong with picking favorites, either.

19 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

Sometime last year I started a PMU for FE11, I'm sorry this is not an FE6 example but I don't have any of those recorded, and one of the units picked for me was Dolph. Everyone here should know that Dolph on H5 is probably bottom 5 units in the game in terms of performance, the man gets doubled and one rounded by anything and the only thing he has going for him is C lances so he can use forged a ridersbane to kill cavs.

most of his levels were nothing but HP and DEF, because his growth in HP is 70% and 45% in DEF which are pretty high for for FE11 standards. When I got to Altea castle, which has Manaketes that can have up to 26 Speed, I had no one on my roster that escaped doubling range of the Manaketes so I needed someone who could eat 2 hits from them. So I had to do this.

Reveal hidden contents

5cab9bd10ff49_Imadethedecision.png.b58cf812dab8a231c7ec7e36efb3540a.png

What Dolph offers is C rank lances and the general promotion bonuses. I know I was forced to use him, but what if in one of my iron mans I didn't have anyone alive who could reliably reach the required benchmark to not get doubled by the chapter 17 manaketes, even changing your paladins into swords masters isn't a guarantee if they don't get enough speed level ups. Once I promoted him he got so much use, he can't double anything, his strength is only OK at this point in the game, and relies and forged weaponry to kill anything efficiently. BUT WHO CARES! A few chapter later he capped defence, and while his combat was still pretty bleh, he did his job well and ate hits for the rest of my party so we could move up safely before getting drowned in reinforcements. when I iron man FE11, if I screwed up and lost units and don't like where my levels are going, I will consider picking up Dolph and feeding him a few kills with a forged ridersbane to make sure I have someone to promote in case key units can't make it to the thresholds. 

Barth in FE6 is somewhat of a similar unit to me. The only growths he needs imo is HP and DEF in which he has 100% in HP and 40% in DEF. What he has over Dolph is that he is level 9 and can get promoted after 1 level up if needed. A certain YouTuber, in his iron man, got lance killed and had a lackluster Allen, as well as got Marcus killed early. He was running out of front liners really fast. So he promoted Barth at level 10 giving him an extra 4 DEF and HP. 19 DEF by that point in the game is nothing to shake a stick at (until said youtuber proceeded to run him into an armor slayer like an idiot), and if you wait a bit and feed him a little more he can be even better. Barth can really be helpful when stakes are higher, is it efficient? Absolutely not! Is Barth's combat gonna ever be really good? Most likely not, but FE6, as well as other games with that design philosophy, have lots of options. If you know how the game works and know the thresholds needed you are given many choices on what you can do to salvage errors that you make. And people who know the game well can find a way to use someone like Barth well if they need to, even though is widely considered to be one of the worst units.

FE6 I find to be a very rewarding game when understood, more so than most of the series. Why do you think so many LTC/0% growths players love FE12 so much? Because you have a huge challenge that can be conquered in a billion different ways by discovering the potential of so many units.

P.S. - I lost the data for the PMU so I never got to finish it and I'M SO MAD ABOUT IT! I made it to chapter 24.

The problem I have is, mechanics wise, Shadow Dragon and Binding Blade don't even compare. Binding Blade is one of the most dodgetanking-friendly games (and one of the most unfriendly to armored units), whereas Shadow Dragon pretty much killed the viability of dodgetanking, and as a result is much better for armored units. Also, Shadow Dragon uses Master Seals as the sole promotion item, while Binding Blade has class-specific promotion items. I could go on and on, but the long and short of it is, it's a hell of a lot easier to raise underleveled units and bad units in Shadow Dragon than it is in Binding Blade. Also, I'm not sure that using Mangs, who I assume you're talking about, for your point proves much of anything. If anything, the only thing I get is that if you play like crap and/or get screwed, Barth might have a use.

Edited by Shadow Mir

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

The problem I have is, mechanics wise, Shadow Dragon and Binding Blade don't even compare. Binding Blade is one of the most dodgetanking-friendly games (and one of the most unfriendly to armored units), whereas Shadow Dragon pretty much killed the viability of dodgetanking, and as a result is much better for armored units. Also, Shadow Dragon uses Master Seals as the sole promotion item, while Binding Blade has class-specific promotion items. I could go on and on, but the long and short of it is, it's a hell of a lot easier to raise underleveled units and bad units in Shadow Dragon than it is in Binding Blade. Also, I'm not sure that using Mangs, who I assume you're talking about, for your point proves much of anything. If anything, the only thing I get is that if you play like crap and/or get screwed, Barth might have a use.

That's why I talked about base stats, obviously mangs just got him killed and promoted him for his own reasons, but name someone with more than 19 Def at that point in the game. You can really make use of that early. If your units that are good at dodging are dead or didn't make it, Barth is an option you have which was my point. He does run into the promotion item problem though I agree. In that case with mangs his best contenders were either dead or extremely underwhelming and he felt he needed someone with beef to continue on. I was only using his Ironman as an example.

8 hours ago, Harvey said:

Ghee thanks for the advice. That doesn't mean I should still like the game for what it is whether you get timed units that have purpose or not. And like I said before, I've already tried doing things out of my comfort zone. Doesn't mean it has to work in my favor. And whether FE6 has units that serve purposes, the fact remains of what I mostly said. End of story.

And I'm least bothered about ironman runs or even how others play FE6 in general. 

The point isn't the ironman.  The point is to do things that would otherwise baffle you.  Which that LP I linked is full of.

The world will not cater to your specific likes and dislikes.  Which means you either learn how to stomach your dislikes, or find something you like.  But whining about things you dislike (which is the entire reply chain) will make you miserable.

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I think most people would prefer to use units they like, and it's not their fault that IS cant balance two characters to save their life. Isnt that what alot of this topic Is? Bad balance in a FE game... again? 

Not that I dont agree on trying new things, because that's true, but I dont think there is anything wrong with picking favorites, either.

Oh, I won't deny that there's issues with FE6.  But unit balance is on the lower end of it IMO.

I also agree that there's nothing wrong with NOT liking things.  There is something wrong with whining about it because it doesn't suit you to a T.

I also agree that there's nothing wrong with NOT liking things.  There is something wrong with whining about it because it doesn't suit you to a T.

I think that there are two problems with this topic that are worse than the whining. A lot of the 'problems' listed exist in other Fire Emblem games to varying degrees. The worst is that some people are suggesting that opinions on 'game design' (because I can't find a better word to describe gameplay features at the moment) are objective facts.

On 4/4/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ertrick36 said:

There're more pressing issues in Binding Blade than simple unit balance.  Namely, there's level design.  Most Binding Blade maps are designed to be extremely roundabout and long-winded (chapter 8 being a prominent example), but there's one level that gets on my nerves and it's Chapter 14.

In Chapter 14, you have:

• Fog of War which requires either thieves, torches, or healers with torch staves to even be able to navigate in
  • Desert which severely limits mobility for most units, including the main damn character
  • The recruitment of a horse-mounted mage... who is slowed down by all the goddamn desert tiles, rendering her basically useless here
  • The recruitment of a low level shaman who actually can move swiftly in the desert but is extremely weak and is likely to get destroyed when encountering more than one enemy
  • Mages and wyvern knights every-f***ing-where - all of whom are easily able to see you
  • On top of all of this, a time limit which, if it runs out, will cut you off from the game's true ending, because not only do you apparently deserve a swift kick in the crotch, but also to have lemon juice poured directly into your eye sockets

And apparently things get even worse in chapters 17-20 if you choose to use the two nomads you get more than the two pegasus knights you get.  Then of course there's Roy's belated promotion, which is beyond ridiculous.

That isn't to say FE6 is devoid of redeeming qualities, but damn does it go out of its way to make sure you don't enjoy playing it sometimes.

Adding to this, I can certainly say that chapter 14 was extremely annoying, for merely the fact that you were almost forced to bring out all of your magic units, fliers and thieves just in hopes of navigating the map because of the Fog of War and reduced movement. However, to clear the air around the Sacae route, I believe that Chapter 14 is much more tedious, and challenging than Chapters 17b and 19b (respectively) solely because of the movement problem(s) paired with the fact that you may want the Divine Weapon to achieve the game's true ending, which is only possible in a certain turn limit. 17b and 19b will only need 1 thief (each) because of the normal movement over plains/floor and the rather predicatable amount/types of enemies due to the terrain/spacing of these chapters. 

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Oh, I won't deny that there's issues with FE6.  But unit balance is on the lower end of it IMO.

I was actually talking about balance as a whole, weapons, classes, etc, but your right, complaining or getting overly upset over it isnt at all healthy, I agree wholeheartedly. I do think it's okay to enjoy using your favorite units more, though. You just have to accept that it wont be balanced and be happy with the things that you enjoy about the game, otherwise as you said, you wont enjoy it at all and be miserable playing the whole game. 

Edited by lightcosmo

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

The point isn't the ironman.  The point is to do things that would otherwise baffle you.  Which that LP I linked is full of.

The world will not cater to your specific likes and dislikes.  Which means you either learn how to stomach your dislikes, or find something you like.  But whining about things you dislike (which is the entire reply chain) will make you miserable.

And this topic alongside others still whin about many things regarding FE so what's your point?

44 minutes ago, Harvey said:

And this topic alongside others still whin about many things regarding FE so what's your point?

Well many of us tried turning this topic into an intelligent discussion about preferences and why people don't think it is a mess. I've had a lot of really fun discussions with people here on SF, which is one of the reason I prefer it over r/fireemblem. No one here is really trying their heart out to make you think FE6 is the best game ever and that you should like it. But we like to share a different perspective so you can see why so many people like it. We can agree to disagree. 

19 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

That's why I talked about base stats, obviously mangs just got him killed and promoted him for his own reasons, but name someone with more than 19 Def at that point in the game. You can really make use of that early. If your units that are good at dodging are dead or didn't make it, Barth is an option you have which was my point. He does run into the promotion item problem though I agree. In that case with mangs his best contenders were either dead or extremely underwhelming and he felt he needed someone with beef to continue on. I was only using his Ironman as an example.

Focusing on bases does jack shit to change the fact that Barth is in one of the worst games to be an armored knight in. It also doesn't tell the whole story, needless to say. Which is why I brought up mechanics. And once again, I honestly believe using Mangs as your example hurt your argument more than it helped. The guy has a really, really, REALLY shitty track record when it comes to ironmans, after all...

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Focusing on bases does jack shit to change the fact that Barth is in one of the worst games to be an armored knight in. It also doesn't tell the whole story, needless to say. Which is why I brought up mechanics. And once again, I honestly believe using Mangs as your example hurt your argument more than it helped. The guy has a really, really, REALLY shitty track record when it comes to ironmans, after all...

Your completely missing the point though. Barth is bad, no one is disagreeing with that. The point is you need to safely bait enemies toward you in FE6, and when you are running out of options you may need to get creative, such as promoting Barth.... It's an extreme example because you would need to screw up bad to not have anyone else for the job, but it's an option that can be available if you need it, which is what Mangs took in that situation. The example wasn't about Mangs skill at all, I mean he ran promoted Barth into an armor slayer merc instantly and got him killed. The point was watching him do that showed me that it you could make a use out of a unit that is even that bad. 

15 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I was actually talking about balance as a whole, weapons, classes, etc, but your right, complaining or getting overly upset over it isnt at all healthy, I agree wholeheartedly. I do think it's okay to enjoy using your favorite units more, though. You just have to accept that it wont be balanced and be happy with the things that you enjoy about the game, otherwise as you said, you wont enjoy it at all and be miserable playing the whole game. 

It's a take on life in general.  Things aren't always going to cater to you (hello current world pandemic), so how you deal with it will determine how happy you'll be.

I'd say the class imbalance is ongoing.  Weirdly enough, NM was closest to doing something about it, but mounts > non-mounts for a lot of that game.

14 hours ago, Harvey said:

Difference is that yours is bad enough to catch my attention.  I'll assume that you're stuck at home like the rest of us.  Take the time to really think about what you want, what you believe in, and why you post the things you do.  Because I have yet to see someone who defends their misery AND is happy with life in general, and I much prefer the latter for everyone.

I guess I haven't weighed in yet, but FE6 is a mixed bag. The story is fairly bland, with fairly bland characters, but FE6 is a master at world building, with the Saul and Yoder supports shedding enough light on the st. Elmine faith that it becomes the most fleshed out religion in the series. By far the worst of FE6 it is that this is where Fire Emblem started lying about hit percentages, and was inconsistent in a way that is confusing (as staff accuracy and crit are still 1RN), and encouraged dodge-tanking with how skewed low displayed percentages factually are. Now the low accuracies themselves I am mostly fine with, it adds this layer of how far you want to push as you commit units that might otherwise be reserves needed to compensate for a miss, which is an interesting dynamic to work with. The balance of units is a good thing, having a wide variety of quality, and quantity of units makes for interesting challenges, its great for interesting ironmans, interesting PMU, or simply giving you lots of replayability with the innumerable teams you could decide to use. Some of the unit imbalance is a bit exaggerated so far, all of the cavs are plenty usable, not just Allen and Lance. Plus the only unit that is really unusable (at least on HM) is Sophia; I have seen people put in the work to use Wendy even in ironman runs, and people really like to ignore the early triangle attack she helps with (and before people complain about move you have 8 mounted units to canto drop them with at this point in the game). As for weapon imbalance, the analysis earlier in the thread that WTA makes axes as accurate as swords against lances, but with notably higher damage seems like a fair trade off, especially with the only accurate physical weapon types not having usable 1-2 range available. Really the weapon types are all imbalanced in different ways that makes them more usable than other games where there are clear winners in the weapon type department that make a lot of entire weapon types barely usable.

2 hours ago, JimmyBeans said:

That's disappointing, that run was going so well...

15 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I have seen people put in the work to use Wendy even in ironman runs, and people really like to ignore the early triangle attack she helps with (and before people complain about move you have 8 mounted units to canto drop them with at this point in the game).

The problem I have here is, aside from the fact you're wasting 3 unit slots on crappy armored knights, which I would consider a very questionable move in a Horse Emblem game, is that Barth is heavy to the point he's awkward to transport. Well, that, and you have to go out of your way to have all of them surround the same enemy. I mean, even when it's on pegasus knights, which are far more mobile, the triangle attack is impractical, but it's ten billion percent more impractical when the users are all in the least mobile class in the game.

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

It's a take on life in general.  Things aren't always going to cater to you (hello current world pandemic), so how you deal with it will determine how happy you'll be.

I'd say the class imbalance is ongoing.  Weirdly enough, NM was closest to doing something about it, but mounts > non-mounts for a lot of that game.

I apologize if I overstepped there, but you have a good point.

13 hours ago, eclipse said:

Difference is that yours is bad enough to catch my attention.  I'll assume that you're stuck at home like the rest of us.  Take the time to really think about what you want, what you believe in, and why you post the things you do.  Because I have yet to see someone who defends their misery AND is happy with life in general, and I much prefer the latter for everyone.

Again, thanks for the advice there. I already have decided what I want but posting here would be a bigger mess so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by Harvey

So much more has been said by everyone else. I don’t feel the need to reply to anything specifically. I do want to share my current experience though.

I am using Garret in my current Ironman playthrough, and I have to say, for a supposedly “unusable” unit with “terrible accuracy”, I am very impressed with him.

He doesn’t have good Spd, but he only gets doubled by very fast enemies like Mercenaries. The majority of enemies in the game do not double him. He also has very high HP and enough Def to be able to survive quite a few hits.

Offensively, his accuracy is actually pretty good against Lance enemies, which there are quite a few of. He doesn’t double anything except Armour Knights,  but most of your units don’t ORKO enemies in this game, and his 30% Crit bonus actually gives him a pretty good chance to do so. If he doesn’t Crit he will deal enough damage for someone else to finish off the enemy which is about as much as you can except from most units. He can OHKO some Cavaliers with a Halberd or have over 50% Crit chance with a Killer Axe.

He can also get some situational use out of being able to walk on water and peaks, the latter giving a 40% Avoid boost.

Obviously he isn’t as good as Perceval, but very few units are. That’s not a fair comparison. For a unit that requires no investment, Garret isn’t bad at all. There’s plenty of things he can do.

Edited by Whisky

I know I'm not the average FE player, but for me FE6 is one of my favorite games, and not a mess at all.

I understand that for ltc and ranked runs Sophia and Wendy/Gwendolyn must be awful units, but for me they are perfect. They start out really weak and take a mountain of work to make in any way usable, exactly how I like it. This game provides plenty of units for my style of play, and I love it. Too bad this game gives me strong units like Alan and Lance, seems kind of unnecessary (jk, I don't mind ALance, they don't ruin the experience at all I can just dump them after the first chapter).

I've been using Sophia in pretty much all my playthroughs, and I've played it more than a couple dozen times, mostly on hard mode. She's not unusable you just need a certain playstyle, one that not many FE players have apparently. I'm just glad this game also caters to my preferences.

As for story, this is also one of my favorite games. If the plot being too much like another FE is the problem, then shouldn't all FE be the problem? After all almost all FE games can be summarized as "a young noble's land is attacked, after going to war with the opposing country a larger plot is revealed"? Zephiel's speech at the end actually succeeded in winning me to his side back when I first played it when I was 14 or so, not many villains can do that. But I guess this is personal preference so not much to discuss here.

I usually don't like the jeigan archetype, but FE6 just handles it too perfectly. If you want to low man this game you can very easily unequip him and use him as a meat shield in the early chapters, then when he starts to lose usefulness, but if your team can't quite miss him yet, there's Zealot to take his place. And it has never happened for me before but there's even a third to take over from him. Best thing is, it doesn't cost me any precious experience for my "unusable" units.

Only thing I dislike is the reinforcements moving on deploy, but after a few playthroughs I learned them by heart and they don't bother me as much anymore.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, what may look like a mess for one player, may be a haven of balance for another, depending on your preferences.

@whase

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying. I like using kind of weak units sometimes although, Wendy and Sophia are bit too extreme for me. They are there for people like you that want to use them though, and don’t make the game any worse for people that don’t want to use them. The game has plenty of good units for people that prefer using them.

I don’t see why you don’t like Alan and Lance. They’re good but not overpowered.

-

Update on my Ironman run with Garret. I’m actually very impressed with him. I thought I was just going to prove that he’s not “unusable”, but now I think I might actually go as far as saying that he’s pretty good. Like I pointed out before, most units don’t ORKO most enemies in this game, and his Crit bonus actually makes him more likely to ORKO a lot of enemies than most other units, including enemy Wyverns in Chapter 21, unless those other units are using Divine Weapons. He really doesn’t get doubled by many enemies, but he does need to watch out for the particularly fast ones. He has really high HP, making him pretty tanky. Accuracy isn’t nearly as much of an issue as people claim. If you want to get more out of him, you can give him a SpeedWing, though he does have a lot of competition for that. He joins for free, requiring no investment. He’s a lot better than I previously thought.

On another note, after playing an Ironman of this game, I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to go back to playing with resets. Ironmans are so much fun.

4 hours ago, Whisky said:

I don’t see why you don’t like Alan and Lance. They’re good but not overpowered.

Yeah it's kind of a bad example for a bad joke, they're solid units that don't require much work to use, but are never too strong either. I'm usually just not a fan of cavaliers since my infantry gets left behind if I use them to their fullest. (and infantry are usually the coolest characters to me.)

4 hours ago, whase said:

I'm usually just not a fan of cavaliers since my infantry gets left behind if I use them to their fullest. (and infantry are usually the coolest characters to me.)

Broke: Infantry is bad because they can'y keep up with mounts.

Woke: Mounts are bad because they leave the infantry behind.

13 hours ago, Koops said:

Broke: Infantry is bad because they can'y keep up with mounts.

Woke: Mounts are bad because they leave the infantry behind.

BESPOKE: Using rescue drop

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

On 4/30/2020 at 7:52 AM, whase said:

As for story, this is also one of my favorite games. If the plot being too much like another FE is the problem, then shouldn't all FE be the problem? After all almost all FE games can be summarized as "a young noble's land is attacked, after going to war with the opposing country a larger plot is revealed"? Zephiel's speech at the end actually succeeded in winning me to his side back when I first played it when I was 14 or so, not many villains can do that. But I guess this is personal preference so not much to discuss here.

No. While there are some cliches and such that commonly show up among the stories of the FE games (like the fact that the prologue often features the main character facing down bandits, for example), this game is about the only one that actually cribs a story from a prior game.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:52 AM, whase said:

I understand that for ltc and ranked runs Sophia and Wendy/Gwendolyn must be awful units, but for me they are perfect. They start out really weak and take a mountain of work to make in any way usable

I don't see why you said "for ltc and ranked runs", because even in casual runs they take a shitload of effort to get anywhere and the payoff isn't even remotely close to worth it. I mean, I like taking weak units and building them up to be badasses, but... when you have a unit that requires a shitload of patience to raise and isn't even that great when trained... I have to question why that unit even exists. Anyway, while Fire Emblem in general is somewhat unique in having to factor in the possibility that characters have died, it doesn't change the fact that if a character is so shitty they struggle to contribute even when they join, never mind having been benched for a while because I had another unit that could do their job and now you need them, I'd rather just continue to invest in the decent units left instead of trying to babysit a unit that won't pull their weight for most of the game, if ever, and thus would end up being a liability instead of an asset just for the sake of filling a deployment slot.