How much do you think Jeralt really know about Rhea?

I have be wondering about this topic, on "How much Jeralt really know about the Rhea and the truth"

I think Jeralt knows a lot more than he told Byleth, to the point that Jeralt might actually know Rhea's true identity as Seiros, even participated in the plan to resurrect Sothis.

We know that Rhea changes her identity every few decades to avoid suspicion of her youth appearance, we also know that Jeralt has worked for her for over 100 years

That means Jeralt is likely to have been working for Rhea before she was known as "Rhea" currently, means that he knew about some deepest secrets about the Church. In addition. he and Rhea are the only two people bear Major Crest of Seiros, that he got it directly from Rhea, that would makes it very obvious who Rhea really is when you add it with Rhea changing her identities.

How much does Jeralt really know? Does he know about Rhea's plan to resurrect Sothis? Did he participate the plan?

And most interestingly, does Jeralt know about the truth of Sitri?

Edited by Timlugia

The only reason I don't think Jeralt knew is because of the very things you mentioned. 

If he got the Major Crest of Seiros from Rhea and it granted him long life, why would he not just assume that the reason she lives so long is because of the same reason? It would make a lot of sense that she could have told him, "My crest grants me unnaturally long life and as such, I am forced to don new identities every few decades to avoid those who would seek to discredit the church or steal the power for themselves." 

I think given his own long life it wouldn't necessarily feel like a lie and would keep him from knowing that she is actually Seiros. 

In regards to Sothis, I don't think he knew or why else would he question why Byleth lived or why it was unnatural. If he understood her plan (or was part of it), he would have known from the start that Byleth was merely a host for Sothis and housed her 'heart'. He stole the baby away because he was afraid, I don't think he would have done that having participated in Rhea's plan to resurrect Sothis.

And as for Sitri, this is a bit muddier. If even Seteth didn't know about all that Rhea was doing, I find it hard to believe that Jeralt would know Sitri is nothing more than an artificial doll that Rhea created. But if he'd been with her for all these years I'm sure he'd question all these 'nuns' who kept appearing and were probably in frail health. But he was also sent away from the monastery for long periods of time, which could explain him not knowing. I'm sure he was told some lie about Sitri tbh, because as we all know Rhea isn't a trustworthy character in most regards, not necessarily because she's 'evil' or anything, but simply because she holds her secrets very close to her and doesn't seem to trust others.

I am under the impression that if Seteth, one of her closest advisors and friends didn't know, that Jeralt also wouldn't know. For what we can assume Jeralt guessed, is another story. I'm sure his running away could have been completely spurred on by the fact he realizes that Rhea was 'obsessed' with the baby and felt her bad intentions without necessarily knowing what they were.

There's also a level of 'blind faith' I think Jeralt held simply from his line that he "once thought the world of Lady Rhea". It just sounds like at one point in time he was blindly loyal to her and perhaps it was his love of Sitri (and he subsequent death, followed by Rhea acting weird around the baby) that really brought him to start seeing the pieces.

So while I think he was aware of a lot more than he told Byleth for sure (and knew a lot more about the Church as well) I don't think he was quite aware of some of the more closely guarded things.

Jerald definitely doesn't know about Rhea's plans to resurrect Sothis. He fled based on suspicions she was plotting something with his child. Years later he end up wondering if there really was a good reason to leave, indicating he stopped thinking Rhea would harm Byleth. But Jerald's turned out to be wrong. Rhea very much as it out for Byleth. Rhea's plan to resurrect Sothis effectively means the death of Byleth. One could argue that Byleth would still be in the resurrected goddess somewhere but I feel Jerald would strongly disagree with the notion that the ritual didn't end in Byleth's death. 

7 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

The only reason I don't think Jeralt knew is because of the very things you mentioned. 

If he got the Major Crest of Seiros from Rhea and it granted him long life, why would he not just assume that the reason she lives so long is because of the same reason? It would make a lot of sense that she could have told him, "My crest grants me unnaturally long life and as such, I am forced to don new identities every few decades to avoid those who would seek to discredit the church or steal the power for themselves."

Counter argument here:

If that's her explanation, then it contradicts the church story that Seiros died an old age and was buried in Holy Mausoleum, it would further implies that Seiros is still alive.

What makes Rhea not to age while the "original owner" Seiros did? As far as we know, Crest power only diminished over generations rather than getting stronger.

On 4/5/2020 at 9:50 AM, Timlugia said:

Counter argument here:

If that's her explanation, then it contradicts the church story that Seiros died an old age and was buried in Holy Mausoleum, it would further implies that Seiros is still alive.

What makes Rhea not to age while the "original owner" Seiros did? As far as we know, Crest power only diminished over generations rather than getting stronger.

Why would that contradict? "Old age" could have been 800 years. Or 300. There's numerous explanations. "Your body ages, your appearance does not." or "You age, very, very slowly, so it almost seem as if you're not aging at all".

It's not really a counter-argument because I never said the crest stopped them from aging completely, which would mean it would contradict the church. I said the crest grants them long life. Not immortal life. So like I said, sure it's easy for us—the player—to pick it out, but I don't necessarily think Rhea *did* reveal that to him, because I think it would have opened up too many other questions that he clearly did not know the answers too, but should have if he knew Rhea was actually Seiros.