Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Anacybele

So I started playing this game today and it's my first Animal Crossing game. I'd had some mild interest in the series in the past, but I prioritized other games constantly. New Horizons looked good enough for me to actually buy and try out. And I am enjoying it!

I know there are some others here who play the series and this game, so that's why I made this thread.

Right now there's an Easter-themed event going on called Bunny Day. However, it seems that if you were not playing on April 1st to meet Zipper the bunny, you can't get the event, as he won't reappear until the last day of the event and that's kind of pointless since it's so little time to get all the limited time egg themed goodies. And my copy of the game didn't arrive in the mail until today even though I'd ordered it before the event started. Amazon was temporarily out of stock. And due to the current state of the world, I didn't feel comfortable going to GameStop or somewhere to buy it. I learned I could also get a letter from Zipper instead, but I didn't get that either. Do I have to wait until the next day to get it or something? I'll be really upset if I cannot participate in this event since I really like Easter and spring stuff.

Edited by Anacybele

First, make sure that your game is fully updated, otherwise you aren't going to be able to get the event at all.

Second, if you need to, you might be able to backtrack your Switch's internal clock in order to get him. Just back it up to April 1st and it should kick start the event for you. If that doesn't work, perhaps someone else will be able to give you a solution.

I'm not sure what the solution to your problem is exactly, but I am not a fan of this event. The eggs are invasive and halting my progress in getting my other tasks done. It's become even harder to catch rare fish and collect iron nuggets. 

I do hope the problem is solved on your end. Since Animal Crossing is in real time, you may not get the letter until tomorrow, since your first day is usually jam packed with stuff.

10 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

First, make sure that your game is fully updated, otherwise you aren't going to be able to get the event at all.

Second, if you need to, you might be able to backtrack your Switch's internal clock in order to get him. Just back it up to April 1st and it should kick start the event for you. If that doesn't work, perhaps someone else will be able to give you a solution.

My game is fully updated, it did that automatically when I first put it in the Switch.

Couldn't messing with the internal clock potentially cause issues with the game data though? I thought I heard something like this being the case for past Nintendo consoles, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I'm not sure what the solution to your problem is exactly, but I am not a fan of this event. The eggs are invasive and halting my progress in getting my other tasks done. It's become even harder to catch rare fish and collect iron nuggets. 

I do hope the problem is solved on your end. Since Animal Crossing is in real time, you may not get the letter until tomorrow, since your first day is usually jam packed with stuff.

I did hear something about that being kind of an issue. But I guess it won't bother me too much. lol Still, I can understand it bothering others.

Yeah, I'll see if I get the letter tomorrow and if I don't, I dunno...

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

My game is fully updated, it did that automatically when I first put it in the Switch.

Couldn't messing with the internal clock potentially cause issues with the game data though? I thought I heard something like this being the case for past Nintendo consoles, anyway.

No. "Time traveling" is a thing in Animal Crossing purely because of it's reliance on your system's internal clock. Just disconnect the clock itself from updating via the internet and you should be good. Also it should've updated twice. Check your game itself to make sure it's version 1.1.3a. This will be in the top right corner after you start up the game. If that's not your version, you won't be able to access the event.

2 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

No. "Time traveling" is a thing in Animal Crossing purely because of it's reliance on your system's internal clock. Just disconnect the clock itself from updating via the internet and you should be good. Also it should've updated twice. Check your game itself to make sure it's version 1.1.3a. This will be in the top right corner after you start up the game. If that's not your version, you won't be able to access the event.

Huh, I see. I double-checked to see if there were any available updates for the game though, and it said the game was up to date.

Edited by Anacybele

You need to focus on doing the regular stuff first because you'll need to unlock Nook's Cranny and the Museum, and craft your tools before even be able to interact with the event, as all eggs in the hunt need one tool to get them (except the ones that grow on trees). I didn't talk to the bunny on the first day and the event still ran for me, so not talking to him doesn't lock you out.

3 minutes ago, Jave said:

You need to focus on doing the regular stuff first because you'll need to unlock Nook's Cranny and the Museum, and craft your tools before even be able to interact with the event, as all eggs in the hunt need one tool to get them (except the ones that grow on trees). I didn't talk to the bunny on the first day and the event still ran for me, so not talking to him doesn't lock you out.

I don't think you have to have Nook's Cranny yet to unlock the event? I can't remember if mine was still being built or had only just gone up though so I could be wrong.

Also people are way too mean to Zipper and they need to stop.

7 minutes ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I don't think you have to have Nook's Cranny yet to unlock the event? I can't remember if mine was still being built or had only just gone up though so I could be wrong.

Also people are way too mean to Zipper and they need to stop.

Maybe not, but she definitely needs to focus on doing the regular stuff before diving into the event since the basic stuff is pretty much the game's bread and butter.

At the very least, crafting the tools is integral to do anything related to the event.

Seen lots of people online complaining about the egg event, and honestly... yeah, it's kind of annoying.

Seems like the vast majority of fish, buried treasure, and balloon treasure is eggs.  They were more reasonable about the tree eggs and rock eggs, but I kinda wish the event was retooled so that it seemed more fun to find eggs (make all the eggs rarer, lower the required eggs to make stuff, make recipes more common).  Right now it really just feels like the event gets in the way of the more regular tasks which you need to do to build your island.  Well, at least it doesn't replace chopped wood, so I could still build little Timmy's shop.

And for the record, I was able to get the event having gotten the game and started playing it on, like, the second or third of April.  You don't get it on the first day you play, you get it afterwards.  In fact, the game in general basically is geared towards you only playing it for a certain amount of time, because you're always building and upgrading stuff which takes a day or so to complete.  You could play Animal Crossing all day to fulfill as many Nook Miles challenges, fish for as many fish, find as much treasure, and catch as many bugs as you want, but eventually you'll find yourself in a sort of looping pattern getting very little done if you extend your play session.

Of course... some people change their system clocks to bypass this, but... well, that's not something that's exactly encouraged.

Agreed on you having to progress toward a certain "day" in the game. You will probably have to build your museum first. With the event ending on the 12th, you should have plenty of time to make the progress toward your island that is required for events to unlock! The first week or so is considered the "tutorial" phase of the game.

I adore the AC series, I have been a fan since the very first title on the GameCube. New Horizons is definitely the best entry in the series, hands down.

I have been crafting tools. I crafted the fishing rod and net more than once, actually, since they eventually break. I also got the slingshot which you COULD craft, but I didn't because I don't think I can get the materials for it right now. So I bought it from Timmy instead.

Just now, SockPuppet said:

Agreed on you having to progress toward a certain "day" in the game. You will probably have to build your museum first. With the event ending on the 12th, you should have plenty of time to make the progress toward your island that is required for events to unlock! The first week or so is considered the "tutorial" phase of the game.

A whole WEEK? The event ends in exactly a week! I won't have much time if I can't get the event within a couple days.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

A whole WEEK? The event ends in exactly a week! I won't have much time if I can't get the event within a couple days.

I hope I'm wrong! Did you show Tom Nook 5 bugs or fish you caught? Doing so will mark progress towards unlocking the island's museum. You should be able to unlock this the first day. This is an essential step towards unlocking the main features of the game.

Just now, SockPuppet said:

I hope I'm wrong! Did you show Tom Nook 5 bugs or fish you caught? Doing so will mark progress towards unlocking the island's museum. You should be able to unlock this the first day. This is an essential step towards unlocking the main features of the game.

I showed him one so far. But I didn't at all know about the museum until it was mentioned in this thread, so thanks for that.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I showed him one so far. But I didn't at all know about the museum until it was mentioned in this thread, so thanks for that.

Cool! 4 more unique kinds then. After that, he will give you a tent to invite the museum curator over. He will appear in a tent the next day. Then you show him like 15 more unique species? Then, he will start construction on an actual museum and it's quite beautiful after it's constructed!

You might want to look up a guide for the first days in the game, just because you are on a time crunch. You wanna make sure you are accomplishing and unlocking everything you can / are able to unlock in a single day right away, just so you can get those eggs coming into your town. I am not too sure at what "point" the event would unlock for you, but it could be as early as tomorrow, or maybe after the museum opens or something. Timmy and Tommy eventually open up their own shop, but I think that is just a matter of natural day progression / selling enough weeds and junk to them. Oh, and don't forget to pay off your first house payment!

48 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

If you're efficient, show Tom 4 more unique things today (fish, bugs, etc.) if you're able to. This will unlock a character you will need to show more things. Getting to 20 sounds hard on paper, but there's a ton of resources you at your disposal at different times of the day. It sounds overwhelming and stressful, but don't worry! You can do it!

And trust me, the event throws A TON of event-related stuff at you. It's only the 5th day for me and I already have a ton of eggs. Plus, all of the recipes haven't been "released" yet either, since they get gradually released when we get closer to April 12th. The main thing you should be worrying about is the Sakura Blossom recipes.

Yeah, I just finished showing Nook four more unique species and placed the site for the tent.

I also did pay off the moving fees already too.

12 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

And trust me, the event throws A TON of event-related stuff at you. It's only the 5th day for me and I already have a ton of eggs. Plus, all of the recipes haven't been "released" yet either, since they get gradually released when we get closer to April 12th. The main thing you should be worrying about is the Sakura Blossom recipes.

That's good to know. And do you mean cherry blossom? Because that's what I find in the game, cherry blossom petals. I already used some to make a cherry blossom umbrella. I happened upon that recipe from a present floating by on a balloon. Which means I'm glad I bought a slingshot. I bought one because I saw another floating present earlier and was like "dang it, I must need the slingshot for that" and I was right. But if you go into a tent or whatever and then go back outside without getting a present, it disappears, so I had to miss that first one.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I just finished showing Nook four more unique species and placed the site for the tent.

I also did pay off the moving fees already too.

That's good to know. And do you mean cherry blossom? Because that's what I find in the game, cherry blossom petals. I already used some to make a cherry blossom umbrella. I happened upon that recipe from a present floating by on a balloon. Which means I'm glad I bought a slingshot. I bought one because I saw another floating present earlier and was like "dang it, I must need the slingshot for that" and I was right. But if you go into a tent or whatever and then go back outside without getting a present, it disappears, so I had to miss that first one.

Yep the cherry blossoms! It may actually be easier for you to get the recipes for that right now because the bunny day balloons can't spawn yet. 

And I just prefer the looks of the cherry blossom stuff over the bunny day stuff.

I've got the game, and it's a nostalgia trip for me.  My Native fruit is oranges, but I've gotten most of the others now.  The only one I still need is cherries.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is, I now have the Bunny Day event! Zipper appeared today, and I'm guessing it's because I had to unlock the airport, actually. Because the airport is how visitors come to the island. Makes sense since Zipper is a visitor.

Bad news is, the egg spawn rate has been lowered to the point where I can hardly find any eggs. I've found some, but not enough to do the two Bunny Day DIY projects I have. Even if the original spawn rates were too high, did they have to be lowered THIS much? Seriously.

I WANT THE CUTE AND PRETTY EGG STUFF! 😞

Edited by Anacybele

The two I started with are Hazel and Bill. I later got Flora, Norma, and I can't remember the name of the third one I just got today.

My place looks like this now. XD I can't help it, I love the spring/Easter aesthetic. I admit one reason is that my favorite colors are turquoise and yellow which go well with that theme. I can't seem to get my hands on any star fragments to craft that Bunny Day wand though. Ugh.

But I'm glad I was able to craft everything despite having started the event midway through it.

Edited by Anacybele

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

My place looks like this now. XD I can't help it, I love the spring/Easter aesthetic. I admit one reason is that my favorite colors are turquoise and yellow which go well with that theme. I can't seem to get my hands on any star fragments to craft that Bunny Day wand though. Ugh.

But I'm glad I was able to craft everything despite having started the event midway through it.

Your place looks great! While I'm not the biggest fan of the Bunny Day stuff, I did end up crafting everything yesterday (on Bunny Day). I did put the Zipper Bobble thing in my house though...

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Your place looks great! While I'm not the biggest fan of the Bunny Day stuff, I did end up crafting everything yesterday (on Bunny Day). I did put the Zipper Bobble thing in my house though...

I crafted everything over six days. lol I just wanted to get as much of it as I could as soon as I could. I should've anticipated that more eggs would be all over the place on actual Bunny Day though. XD

Oh yeah, funny thing that Hazel is one of my starting villagers, because that also happens to be my eye color.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, funny thing that Hazel is one of my starting villagers, because that also happens to be my eye color.

Hazel is a cutie! My friend had her in his New Leaf town.