My honest opinion one every character’s Up B

Perkilator

Hey, so I’ve decided to do something a bit broad. I’m giving my honest opinion on every character’s recovery (Except Jigglypuff because it’s not a recovery, it’s Sing). The thread is exactly what the title sounds like, so I’m gonna keep it simple. I’m also going to ignore recovery potential from side specials, as I figured they’d be too easy to talk about.

1. Mario’s Super Jump Punch: Definitely useful for sure, but only really when you’re closer to the stage.

2. DK’s Spinning Kong: More useful for horizontal recovery than vertical, so like Mario, better suited for being closer to the stage or above it.

3. Link’s Spin Attack: It’s alright for recovery, nothing more or less.

4. Samus’s/Dark Samus’s Screw Attack: Could go a bit higher for a recovery (considering you can Screw Attack infinitely in the 2D Metroid games).

5. Yoshi’s Egg Throw: This isn’t completely useless as a recovery, but probably better suited for offense.

6. Kirby’s Final Cutter: Great vertical recovery, and I’m glad you also move slightly forward, but there is the chance you’ll miss the ledge and die.

7. Fox and Falco’s Fire Fox: Insanely useful, especially given the fact that you can move in 8 directions!

8. Pikachu’s Quick Attack: Way more useful than it lets on; the only problem is figuring out which direction to go in such little time.

9. Luigi’s Super Jump Punch: Shoryuken jokes aside, not quite as high as Mario’s, so not exactly as useful.

10. Ness’s PK Thunder: Kinda situational.

11. Captain Falcon’s Falcon Dive: He can’t recover for Jack. Way better for going “YES” and launching opponents into oblivion.

12. Peach‘s Parasol: Probably better for floating across wide gaps.

13. Daisy’s Parasol: Same as Peach’s, but goes a bit higher.

14. Bowser’s Whirling Fortress: Like DK, better suited for offense and horizontal recovery.

15. Ice Climbers’ Belay: Only really useful with both Ice Climbers. Why can’t Popo throw his own rope?

16. Sheik’s Vanish: Surprisingly decent. I only wish Sheik jumped a bit higher.

17. Zelda’s Farore’s Wind: Trust me, this will be a LIFESAVER if you’re close to the blast zone.

18. Dr. Mario’s Super Jump Punch: Essentially Mario’s but worse. Even with Dr. Tornado.

19. Pichu’s Agility: Way more useful than Pikachu’s despite recoil damage.

20. Falco’s Fire Bird: Not as long as Fox’s, so it’s better to move in one of the 8 directions.

21. Marth’s and Lucina’s Dolphin Slash: Relatively useful, but probably better for being closer to the stage. I personally think Lucina should’ve gotten Dolphin Jump from Smash 4.

22. Young Link’s Spin Attack: Basically Link’s. In this case, I think YL should’ve gotten Link’s Whirling Leap from Smash 4.

23. Ganondorf’s Dark Dive: Bad like Falcon, but with the unimportant detail of BEING HEAVIER.

24. Mewtwo’s Teleport: Already useful on its own, but with a double jump? You’ll be going places.

25. Roy’s Blazer: A bit less risky than Marthcina due to the fact that the angle can be altered.

26. Chrom’s Soaring Slash: Ever wanted to see what would happen if Aether barely went forward? No? Well, too bad.

27. Mr. Game & Watch’s Fire: Useful as heck for both horizontal AND vertical recovery? Yes, please!

28. Meta Knight’s Shuttle Loop: A bit toned down in usefulness due to the removal of the glide mechanic, but it still gets the job done.

29. Pit’s and Dark Pit’s Power of Flight: Man, these two couldn’t be more awesome! Even without the glide mechanic, this recovery always puts a smile on my face.

30. ZSS’s Boost Kick: It’s just alright, I only wish she followed up with a jumping kick.

31. Wario’s Corkscrew: Nothing amazing. Never thought I’d say this, but it’s probably better following up from a fully charged Wario Waft.

32. Snake’s Cypher: This is one type of recovery I adore; the Hold-B-to-Float recovery. Man, those are some of the best recoveries in the whole game. Only drawback with Cypher is that it doesn’t go as far as K. Rool’s or Piranha Plant’s.

33. Ike’s Aether: Goes pretty high, but not much before Ike plummets to his doom.

34. Pokémon Trainer: Spoiler alert, they suck. Squirtle and Charizard barely go a few feet, and Ivysaur can’t jump for jack squat. Why couldn’t Charizard I heart Fly High from Smash 4?

35. Diddy Kong’s Rocketbarrel Boost: Not as good as Power of Flight, but far from useless.

36. Lucas’s PK Thunder: WAY more useful than Ness’s version.

37. Sonic’s Spring Jump: Almost heavenly for the fact you don’t enter freefall once you do it!

38. King Dedede’s Super Dedede Jump: When it comes to getting closer to stage when above it, better to tilt up to cancel the slamming down bit.

39. Olimar’s Winged Pikmin: Hope you’re willing to sacrifice innocent Pikmin, because they’ll weigh you down while you try to fly up.

40. Lucario’s ExtremeSpeed: Better when you’re higher on damage (just make sure you don’t accidentally fly off the stage).

41. R.O.B.’s Robo Thruster: As long as you don’t run out of jet fuel, you’re golden with this!

42. Toon Link’s Spin Attack: Link YL, I wish TL got his Flying Spin Attack from Smash 4.

43. Wolf’s Fire Wolf: Basically just a worse Fire Fox, and Wolf’s not even on fire. Why couldn’t he get a variation of Fox’s Flying Fox from Smash 4?

44. Villager’s Balloon Trip: Again, this is the kind of recovery that can be a lifesaver, and they’re my favorite.

45. Mega Man’s Rush Coil: Despite not going as high as Sonic, it’s bliss for the fact that you can move freely after using it.

46. Wii Fit Trainer’s Super Hoop: Like DK and Bowser, way more useful for horizontal recovery than vertical (an exercise trainer that thin shouldn’t weigh more than a pebble, much less a hole sack of rocks).

47. Rosalina’s Launch Star: Despite of horizontal movement, this move more than makes up for it with its VERTICAL movement.

48. Little Mac’s Rising Uppercut: Spoiler alert, it also sucks. Saved you the trouble of finding out (Even Sakurai said back in April 2014 that his recovery sucks).

49. Greninja’s Hydro Pump: Given the name of the move, I figured it would be single big shot. In this case, should’ve called it Water Jet, if you were going to make a slower version of Quick Attack.

50. Palutena’s Warp: Basically what I already said about Zelda’s recovery.

51. PAC-MAN’s Pac-Jump: You probably wanna jump on it until it turns red, as that is where the recovery is pushed to its limits.

52. Robin’s Elwind: Pretty useful, as long as you don’t run out of the tome’s energy.

53. Shulk’s Air Slash: Better used for when the Jump Art is active, as it goes WAY higher in that state.

54. Bowser Jr.‘s Abandon Ship: Only goes somewhat high, but in its place we can attack midair, dodge when we’re not close enough, and even use the Koopa Clown Car as a bomb!

55. Duck Hunt’s Duck Jump: Basically a Hold-B-to-Float move that goes up slower, so better suited for horizontal recovery.

56. Ryu’s and Ken’s Shoryuken: Goes up higher when you input the command, but I’m not good at Street Fighter command inputs.

57. Cloud’s Climhazzard: Better to wait for the Limit Gauge to fill up before you decide to brave it.

58. Corrin’s Dragon Ascent: When I first saw this in Corrin’s reveal, I imagined them soaring about as high as Power of Flight. Imagine my disappointment when their recovery turned out to be shorter than Fire Bird.

59. Bayonetta’s Witch Twist: It’s short as heck, but it’s meant to be used in conjunction with After Burner Kick, so I can forgive it on that front.

60. Inkling’s Super Jump: Basically Power of Flight, except it doesn‘t go as high. However, it’s still VERY useful.

61. Ridley’s Wing Blitz: Basically a slower Fire Fox, 8 directions and everything. Yet arguably more useful, because you have a shorter startup.

62. Simon and Richter’s Uppercut: Tied with Falcondorf for second-worst recovery in the game. Why couldn’t Simon at least get a cool spinning and rising whip attack that aims for ledges?

63. King K. Rool’s Propellerpack: Goes higher than Snake’s Cypher, PLUS it damages one hit at a time.

64. Isabelle’s Balloon Trip: Basically Villager’s, but with a cuter aesthetic. Nothing more or less.

65. Incineroar’s Cross Chop: Worst recovery ever. Couldn’t at least let us angle the drop after the vertical ascent, huh?

66. Piranha Plant’s Piranhacopter: Goes higher than K. Rool’s recovery, AND attacks faster? Yes, please!

67. Joker’s Grappling Hook/Wings of Rebellion: Basically Vine Whip for the former, but better in comparison. I say “in comparison” because the one drawback is that you can’t EXACTLY use it on the edge. Henceforth, I prefer Wings of Rebellion because you at least have a more direct recovery.

68. Hero’s Woosh/Swoosh/Kaswoosh: I like how each different tier is used for different heights, although I mainly use Kaswoosh just to be safe.

69. Banjo-Kazooie’s Shock Spring Jump: Like Sonic and Mega Man, but not as high. Thankfully, their triple jump more than makes up for it.

70. Terry’s Rising Tackle: Not as cool as a recovery as it could be, especially since you can only charge on the ground.

71. Byleth’s Sword of the Creator: Not only can grab ledges (wish you could grab the air, too. This sword can tear reality.), but you can also grab fighters and footstool off of them.

I excluded the Mii’s as well, you’ll notice. Spoiler alert: they all suck, and I can’t be bothered to go into depth.

Okay, so that’s my opinion on nearly every single recovery. Got any opinions of your own?

Edited by Perkilator

12 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

70. Terry’s Rising Tackle: Not as cool as a recovery as it could be, especially since you can only charge on the ground.

You can technically charge it anywhere as long as you're holding down and do the input. The improved version is great for aerial combo finishers once you get the hang of it. You should only have to hold it for a second or so.

58 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

12. Peach‘s Parasol: Probably better for floating across wide gaps.

13. Daisy’s Parasol: Same as Peach’s, but goes a bit higher.

Peach and Daisy are exactly the same as each other, including their recovery. In fact, they weren't at one point, and got patched to be exactly the same.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

I excluded the Mii’s as well, you’ll notice. Spoiler alert: they all suck, and I can’t be bothered to go into depth.

I beg to differ. Soaring Axe Kick, while not amazing, has decent vertical recovery, as you don't have to do the downward portion of it. Also, hilariously easy to hit off-stage for a double KO. I stand by this move being the greatest move in Miime Brawler's Moveset for hilarious kills.

For Sword Boi, Hero's Spin is just Spin Attack, which is a good recovery on it's own, with nice reach, and some protection, even if it's not directly up. Also good for vertical combos. Skyward Dash Slash is Wolf's Up-B, okay, nothing special.

For Mii Gunner, Arm Rocket is...okay.

You failed to mention that some characters also have side specials that can be used to recover, like Luigi's Green Missile and Ike's Quick Draw. Quick Draw was pretty gimpable in past Smash games, but in Ultimate that's not so much the case and it gives Ike quite a bit of horizontal distance. Luigi's Green Missile is excellent for horizontal recovery, especially when it "misfires" and it alone makes his recovery far better than his brother's.

EDIT: Oh, you said you weren't going to talk about side specials. I don't think that's fair. For some characters, like the two I mentioned above, they do a lot for their recovery.

Edited by Anacybele

If you were testing out moves from the ground, be aware that recovery heights are sometimes different between the ground and aerial version of Up Bs. Off the top of my head, Luigi and Samus especially, since those are used so often as attacks on the ground. They won't go as high, letting the player get back down quicker.

Edited by Glennstavos

If you're talking about every character's recovery, you have to talk about ALL the options that character has to recover, Side-B, Down-B, Neutral-B, Corrin's Back-Air, Tether-Grabs, all of it. Just judging characters on their Up-B and saying you're talking about their 'recovery' is misleading because I expect more than I get - Jigglypuff's lack of a recovering Up-B is specifically offset by the multiple jumps + things like Rising Pound techniques, you can't just skip her outright and call it 'every character.' TLDR, I'd appreciate it if you rename this if you don't want to have non-Up-B things discussed, for clarity's sake, or if you don't mind I'd like a chance to bring up the other sections of each character's recovery options.

Edited by SoulWeaver
forgot a thing

so, Perkilator, are you implying that only Up Special moves are for recovery?

4 hours ago, Perkilator said:

33. Ike’s Aether: Goes pretty high, but not much before Ike plummets to his doom.

that's why you almost always want to use quick draw (Side B) instead of aether

62. Simon and Richter’s Uppercut: Tied with Falcondorf for second-worst recovery in the game. Why couldn’t Simon at least get a cool spinning and rising whip attack that aims for ledges?

because that's what their aerials are for

simply false, you can charge it when airborne by pressing down while terry's still locked in another animation, like a second jump, crack shoot, burn knuckle or power dunk

Edited by Yexin

7 hours ago, Yexin said:

so, Perkilator, are you implying that only Up Special moves are for recovery?

No, I just chose to leave out Side Specials to avoid making it easy to talk about.

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

No, I just chose to leave out Side Specials to avoid making it easy to talk about.

Well, if you look at it this way, the results are very skewed. Such as characters like ZSS, who have an awful Up Special, but an amazing alternate recovery option, seem worse.

Also, you are being very generous with pikachu's recovery, its ungodly broken on so many levels.

Also, on Roy's recovery: it's got way more risk than Dolphin Slash since it lacks I frames, and doesnt latch to the stage nearly as well.

Edited by lightcosmo

then you might wanna change the thread title and specify that you only want to discuss about every character's Up B, and not their overall recovery

there's a big difference between what you said and the title

Edited by Yexin

I feel like the startup time of Fox/Falco is really bad, when I play against them I chase them down and whack them offstage almost more than I do Ness!

41 minutes ago, Reality said:

I feel like the startup time of Fox/Falco is really bad, when I play against them I chase them down and whack them offstage almost more than I do Ness!

I actually like this. The fact that their recovery has an exploitable weakness is what makes it fair, well at least in Fox's case, Falco's recovery is bad, so it's drawback should have been less noticeable. That's why recoveries, like Pikachu, are 100% safe. making them no fun to chase offstage.