Unstated Reason Why Dorothea Left the Opera (?)

Graal

I was wasting time indoors the other day and when listening to Yuri's supports something clicked for me. Dorothea's reasons for leaving the opera for the Monastery's Officer Academy always felt a little under explained by her. She wanted to find a husband she had actually bonded with, and follow Manuela after seeing she "made it" on the outside and didn't need the opera  to thrive. But I also think Dorothea left because of the following:

1. Yuri is the boy from Bernadetta's past. The presumed cruel brutality visited on said boy made Bernadetta afraid of being friends with a commoner.

2. Dorothea reassures Bernadetta that she'll be fine. Having been targeted and survived kidnapping attempts (and worse) in the Opera.

3. Yuri, the same boy, in his support with Dorothea indicates that Dorothea was intensely desired by Nobles and since she refused to grant "access" to them would desperately seek out replacements

4. This would also explain why she was targeted. If she was willing to give the expected quid pro quo there would not be as strong a motive. And as time passed only more and more Nobles would likely be trying to take her for themselves or seek revenge for spurning them. 

While there's no confirmation of this connection it is an aspect of her past and decision-making that's often ignored, and the fact that the same character bridges these diffuse elements is at the very least a neat coincidence. 

I like it because it creates a strong reason for her to leave that she'd not want to trouble someone like Manuela with. Their support being a positive one about how Dorothea worked hard to reconnect with her surrogate mother. Makes it feel understated and subtle even if it otherwise would not be.

Edited by Graal

That does make a lot of sense. She also goes back to the opera after the war for whatever reason, what changed? Is it because she now have the personal protection of a powerful monarch? Whenever that is Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude or Byleth 

Probably because she can drop fire and is now a renowned war hero. Or maybe she thought rebuilding the opera was more important. She could already handle herself okay before, now she's more dangerous to them than vice versa.

its because she wanted to find someone to live her life with. Her whole thing is that she only has 2 things going for her, her looks and her voice and after that is gone she will end up right back where she started, on the streets of enbarr. her choice to enroll was to find a suitor for herself so that she wouldnt have to go back to the life that scares. 

12 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

its because she wanted to find someone to live her life with. Her whole thing is that she only has 2 things going for her, her looks and her voice and after that is gone she will end up right back where she started, on the streets of enbarr. her choice to enroll was to find a suitor for herself so that she wouldnt have to go back to the life that scares. 

I think this matters too. I mentioned this. She was never gonna find someone, or it would at least take forever, in a situation like the Opera.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 3:20 AM, Graal said:

I think this matters too. I mentioned this. She was never gonna find someone, or it would at least take forever, in a situation like the Opera.

It's the whole issue of people on pedestals and friendships/romance. You don't know if someone want to be with you because they like you, or they want your money/fame/prestige/influence/whatever.

Edited by Ivan Tridelan

19 hours ago, Ivan Tridelan said:

It's the whole issue of people on pedestals and friendships/romance. You don't know if someone want to be with you because they like you, or they want your money/fame/prestige/influence/whatever.

and she wants to do it while she's still young and can give someone her best years so expedience does matter. Taking it slow is a risk, as Manuela shows.