My Fates Questions!

SmashEmblem

Hi everyone! I have a question to ask.. What game should I play first: Birthright or Conquest? I know that Conquest is harder than Birthright, but my top priority is the story. Does it even matter which game I play first? 

2nd thing: If I play Birthright, is it possible to recruit Nohrians such as Laslow, Odin, Soleil etc. ? I don't think you can recruit the Nohrian Royals.. But I should be able to recruit at least one of the other characters!

3rd thing: I'm struggling for Birthright ships... I got the game a week ago and I'm already on Chapter 10. Who should I ship Female Corrin with? I've heard that the best ships are Corrin x Jakob/Silas/Kaze

Please tell me what you think in the comments below! Thank you! 😊

Edited by SmashEmblem
new content

The closest there really is to an intended order is Birthright, Conquest, and finally Revelation, but really, as long as you save Revelation for last or even better, not play Revelation at all you should be fine.

No, you can't recruit Conquest characters such as Laslow, Odin, and Soleil in Birthright.

24 minutes ago, SmashEmblem said:

What game should I play first: Birthright or Conquest? I know that Conquest is harder than Birthright, but my top priority is the story.

Tee hee.

(Sorry if this sounds rude, it's just that Fates's story on the whole is widely regarded as terrible.)

On a serious note, no, it doesn't really matter whether you play Birthright or Conquest first as long as you play Revelation last.  But Birthright is more tailored for newer, less experienced players, while Conquest is a more traditional Fire Emblem experience geared toward veterans (notably not allowing grinding outside of DLC).

24 minutes ago, SmashEmblem said:

If I play Birthright, is it possible to recruit Nohrians such as Laslow, Odin, Soleil etc. ? I don't think you can recruit the Nohrian Royals.. But I should be able to recruit at least one of the other characters!

Unfortunately, you can't recruit the Awakening trio or their children in Birthright.  Sorry.  That said, there ARE a few characters from Nohr (Felicia, Jakob, and Silas) who will join you regardless of route.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

As far as I know, the overall story will make the most sense if you play Birthright first, then Conquest, then Revelation. And no, you cannot recruit Conquest characters in Birthright. That being said, you get some Nohrians regardless of route (Felicia, Jakob, Silas).

Also, make sure to get an A support with Kaze and Corrin before finishing chapter 15 if you play Birthright. Otherwise, he'll die.

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, make sure to get an A support with Kaze and Corrin before finishing chapter 15. Otherwise, he'll die.

I think this is referring specifically to Birthright.  If I remember correctly, this doesn't happen in the other routes.

Just now, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think this is referring specifically to Birthright.  If I remember correctly, this doesn't happen in the other routes.

That it is. I edited my prior comment to reflect that.

Story-wise I don't think it really matters which of Birthright or Conquest you play first (as others have mentioned, play Revelation last). Each helps explain some story/character stuff from the other route but it's not a big deal.

I'd definitely make the decision based on which sort of gameplay you're in the mood for: Conquest is more challenging (not just harder, though it is that) in that it has more maps with unique mechanics which will make you think about how best to deal with them. Birthright's maps are generally simpler.

23 hours ago, SmashEmblem said:

I know that Conquest is harder than Birthright, but my top priority is the story. Does it even matter which game I play first?

No, it does not matter, for both stories are shit.
If anything, one could argue that Birthright’s story is simpler, and therefore you might give it a pass if you are generous. Conquest’s story is more ambitious, but its script and execution are horrible, so much that you either laugh at it or throw it away.

About their gameplay: Did you play Awakening? Birthright is slightly less broken, but still a turn-based RPG on a grid, no strategy involved. Conquest is exploitable, but less so than those other two games, and, more importantly, it brings back strategy into the game.

If you want to learn the basics, play Conquest Hard on Casual (Conquest Normal, like Birthright, is a very different game where enemies have no skills; and skills are a defining factor of this title.)

If you already own both games, definitely play Birthright first, for its gameplay is a joke when compared to Conquest’s, and you will not enjoy it if you play it afterwards.

Do not waste your money on Revelation. Even if your 3DS is hacked, this game is not even worth the bandwidth.

On 4/9/2020 at 2:44 PM, James Marshall said:

Sorry to say this but you can't get the likes of Laslow, Odin, Soleil, etc on Conquest without hacking or something similiar but theirs always Revelations

Oh.. 😞

On 4/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Tee hee.

(Sorry if this sounds rude, it's just that Fates's story on the whole is widely regarded as terrible.)

On a serious note, no, it doesn't really matter whether you play Birthright or Conquest first as long as you play Revelation last.  But Birthright is more tailored for newer, less experienced players, while Conquest is a more traditional Fire Emblem experience geared toward veterans (notably not allowing grinding outside of DLC).

Unfortunately, you can't recruit the Awakening trio or their children in Birthright.  Sorry.  That said, there ARE a few characters from Nohr (Felicia, Jakob, and Silas) who will join you regardless of route.

I'm on Chapter 10 and so far, the story is kinda meh

Just saying, I've just started Fates, and I'm playing on Hard Mode, Casual. Is that kinda the same as Normal, Casual on Conquest?

2 hours ago, SmashEmblem said:

I'm on Chapter 10 and so far, the story is kinda meh

Just saying, I've just started Fates, and I'm playing on Hard Mode, Casual. Is that kinda the same as Normal, Casual on Conquest?

Are you playing Birthright?

I haven't really played difficulties outside of Normal for either, so I couldn't tell you.

1: While Fates's story is filled with plot holes and inconsistencies, the general order in story is Birthright -> Conquest -> Revelations, though what you pick first doesn't really matter as long as Revelations is last.
2: Unfortunately no, there are a few neutral characters that will join you regardless of the path you chose, those being Kaze, Felicia, Jakob and more.
3: I'd just go with your heart, as you go on you'll find your own favorites. If you're going for stats I wouldn't worry about it either because anybody with Corrin is generally considered their optimal pairing.

Edited by Rugman
Structure of the message

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Birthright first was a good move imo. I played conquest first and absolutely loved it, and was excited to play birthright... but it was so underwhelming. It didn't really matter what I did with my units, because they'd be fine, whereas with conquest I had to think and strategise more.

As for whether birthright hard is equivalent to conquest normal... it's hard to say. I haven't played either on normal to compare, but from what I understand, birthright increases its difficulty almost exclusively by upping enemy stats, whilst conquest's difficulty comes more from enemy skills and map design. They aren't really equivalent because they have different approaches to difficulty. If you're nervous about conquest, just go in on casual to get used to it. If you can do conquest hard tho you'll be fine with birthright on any difficulty.

As for ships for Corrin, it really depends on either who you like best (because optimisation really isn't necessary on lower difficulties), or who your boon/bane and alternate class get the most benefit from. You can use it to give a nohrian class to someone who wouldn't normally get it, for example, opening up some skills. In general I'd say, if you're using a physical Corrin go for a physical partner, and if you're magic go for magic.

About Jakob/Silas/Kaze specifically... Jakob is very good because you get him early. He can heart seal straight away to paladin, which is a godsend on higher difficulties. His personal skill is a good boost for Corrin, paladin has 8 move to carry Corrin around, and gives awesome pair up bonuses, esp +mov, and he decimates enemies while still keeping his faster promoted exp growth. It's really easy to get him married to Corrin, and depending on corrin's second class he gets even more options. Wyvern can be good for him. He does tend to drop off as the game progresses though, and both their kids are pretty mediocre, if that matters to you.

Silas is also available early, meaning you can get him and Corrin married early. He's a solid unit that can stick around for the long term if you invest in him (I found his speed somewhat shaky long term, but it's fixable). His defensive bulk is esp valuable on birthright. He gives Corrin cavalier access, and cavalier is an excellent class. His daughter Sophie is also one of the better children, and he gives kana cavalier access as well.

Not too sure about Corrin and Kaze. Usually I'd save Kaze for someone who needs a speed boost, but that isn't really an issue for birthright. He does give Corrin ninja, which is another good class, but you also get a lot of ninjas on birthright too. I think the main thing for this pairing on birthright is, if you don't get him to A rank by a certain time you lose him, and if you're going that far you might as well marry him. I haven't used midori very much, but she didn't amaze me when I did use her.