How Magic in Fódlan Works

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

I always think that it's like Elibe talks about it. Dark magic isn't "dark" really, as it isn't "evil" magic. It's simply a case of how it is ancient, misunderstood, or unable to be handled easily. 

The reason I believe that dark magic is accessible to those with connections to Agarthans may very well be because it's simply more advanced form of magic. Remember that Agarthans actually are a much more advanced race. Their technological advancements are still using forms of magic. 

In Kaga's interview, he did state that magic is the equivalent of technology.

I don't remember who said it, but there is a quote: "advanced enough technology is magic"

I could definitely buy this explanation, the Agarthans are very advanced and so would their form of magic, I wonder if Lysithea knows it because she is considered a magical prodigy and is simply at level than the rest of Fodlan. But there is also some clues that it has some kind of relation the void, considering that is basically what the place Byleth got banished by the forbidden spell is. 

It also doesn't seem like the church and forces a ban on dark magic or anything. Considering that they must have noticed Lysithea and Hubert using it, they even seem to be capable of studying it at the Academy for whatever reason

1 hour ago, darkblade2814 said:

still, it was dark magic that turned Cannas' brothers into vegetables, and made Nergal go insane, so it is not good for you mental health, at least, so Maybe curruptive may not be the best terms, but it's bad for your health

Well, the joke is that "dark magic is like cocaine" and that might not be so inaccurate. Henry tries to teach Ricken it, where he describes it as a small sense of euphoria, before you start to feel depressed. It's basically something that you have to be careful with. It's the kind of power that mortals generally cannot handle. 

You could say that the magic dragons can use so easily and vastly are the types of magic so strong that people wold label it as dark magic.

in tv tropes they split the dark magic users in 3 categories:

the ones who learn it out of curiosity (where most of the playable users fall into)

the second is out of desperation (where the more sympathetic or understandable villains fit in like Lyon and Nergal)

the third one is for the sake of lust for power (where the cult leaders usually fall into)

but I will add a fourth: natural affinity, people like Julius, Aversa and Robin, and maybe Lynstella or Hapi, may fit in