Newbie Questions

ckwrte

Hiya all! I'm pretty new to the hacking community, however I am currently using FE Builder to edit FE8, and have a couple questions I am hoping some more experienced people can answer 😁

1. How would I change a palette for a boss only? I know how to change enemy palettes, etc. but i can't figure out how to do it for individual enemies.

2. I am getting an issue where random enemies suddenly do 250+ damage, and I can't figure out why. It's totally possible I screwed something up, but any guidance would be helpful.

3. I am having an issue with getting the map loaded before characters appear, conversation text, etc. I want the map to appear, then units come on screen but I am having trouble.

Any advice would be much, much appreciated! 😊

1 hour ago, ckwrte said:

Hiya all! I'm pretty new to the hacking community, however I am currently using FE Builder to edit FE8, and have a couple questions I am hoping some more experienced people can answer 😁

1. How would I change a palette for a boss only? I know how to change enemy palettes, etc. but i can't figure out how to do it for individual enemies.

2. I am getting an issue where random enemies suddenly do 250+ damage, and I can't figure out why. It's totally possible I screwed something up, but any guidance would be helpful.

3. I am having an issue with getting the map loaded before characters appear, conversation text, etc. I want the map to appear, then units come on screen but I am having trouble.

Any advice would be much, much appreciated! 😊

1: In the character editing section, you should see something that says: Jump to unit pallete, this is where palletes are set for characters like player units, bosses, etc.

You need to set the right class, and then a pallete number for that class as well.

2: Did you use any patches, and if so, which ones?

3: I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean that the screen stays black at the start of the event? Or that you have a conversation with no background?

Edited by lightcosmo

6 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

1: In the character editing section, you should see something that says: Jump to unit pallete, this is where palletes are set for characters like player units, bosses, etc.

You need to set the right class, and then a pallete number for that class as well.

2: Did you use any patches, and if so, which ones?

3: I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean that the screen stays black at the start of the event? Or that you have a conversation with no background?

Thanks for replying so fast! I have attached the list of patches i currently have installed. To clarify my 3rd question, I mean the map is delayed in loading and the screen is just black, then characters appear out of order and I can't figure out why. Idk if there is a way to share the way I have configured the map so you can give me feedback, but I'm happy to share anything with you. Another question: for the class vs character stats, how would i set those for my playable characters vs enemies? I have been playing around with it and i think i get it. Thank again!

Annotation 2020-04-11 171800.png

51 minutes ago, ckwrte said:

Thanks for replying so fast! I have attached the list of patches i currently have installed. To clarify my 3rd question, I mean the map is delayed in loading and the screen is just black, then characters appear out of order and I can't figure out why. Idk if there is a way to share the way I have configured the map so you can give me feedback, but I'm happy to share anything with you. Another question: for the class vs character stats, how would i set those for my playable characters vs enemies? I have been playing around with it and i think i get it. Thank again!

Annotation 2020-04-11 171800.png

The map being in black at the beginning is in the chapter editor, on the right hand side you should see something that says "dark before initial event" you need to change that from "fade to black" to "fade to map".

As for character/enemy stats, that just sounds like something you set in character editor as well, just change the base stats of the character you want. Of course, i'm not 100% sure what you need here.

14 hours ago, ckwrte said:

2. I am getting an issue where random enemies suddenly do 250+ damage, and I can't figure out why. It's totally possible I screwed something up, but any guidance would be helpful

From this, I imagine you're using the skill system. That is a very common issue that happens when a unit receives a debuff skill that makes the unit's stats negative(below 0 and into 255 territory. Once the debuff starts fading away, the number will try to reach 0 for the next few turns, and meanwhile the unit will have those big ass stats value around 255 that they can use to conquer the world.

9 hours ago, bløød said:

From this, I imagine you're using the skill system. That is a very common issue that happens when a unit receives a debuff skill that makes the unit's stats negative(below 0 and into 255 territory. Once the debuff starts fading away, the number will try to reach 0 for the next few turns, and meanwhile the unit will have those big ass stats value around 255 that they can use to conquer the world.

Yes, I am using the skill system! So avoid the debuff skills (at least in the early levels) and it should fix the problem? 

Okay all, a few more questions.

1. What is the easiest way to use a custom map/map node locations/roads? Is it simple enough for a newbie, or would it be best to use the defaults? If default is best, where would the default nodes/road info be?
  2. What is the correct formatting to have the game go to map after map is cleared? And is there ANY way to skip the King Hayden conversation, or at least customize it a bit?
  3. Is there a way to "undo" making changes, to set a chapter back to they way it was in the game originally if I make a big mistake?

Please give me as much info as you can, and any supporting information you think would help! Thank you so much 😁

Edited by ckwrte