Did your opinion on 3H characters change over time?

So after stumbling on my first tier list in the "Rank the characters (post launch thread)" I realized that my taste in some ways certainly has changed and I wondered if other people experienced something similar. Since the game has been out for a lot longer now I thought it would be interesting to ask.

This was my tier list from that thread:

Spoiler

1319475327_Tierlist1.png.e592842a8e7cced8c6cb3196e09a8bb8.png

And this is how I more or less feel about the 3H cast now:

Spoiler

1626251476_Tierlist2.thumb.png.6da3d5ea25248f089780a192db97b0ec.png

-----

So while the top and the bottom didn't really change there are some characters I came to appreciate a lot more like Mercedes, Jeritza, Rhea, Flayn, Seteth and Sothis. I also came to realize that I don't really dislike anyone from the cast in this game (except for Bernadetta's dad). I mostly feel indifferent about some characters or think that there's lost potential with other characters. 

Not really. There are some characters I didn't think I would like before launch but ended up really liking once the game finally came out. But since launch my opinion on the cast has remained pretty consistent. My favorites are still my favorites and characters that I don't like are still characters I don't like. At most the degree of how much I like or dislike them changed. 

Annette is such a character I liked from the beginning but she was a ''B tier'' character in that I liked her but she wasn't my favorite. Now she probably is one of my favorite female characters in the game. If being super wholesome is enough for Ashe its enough for Annette as well. Her support with Gilbert also adds a nice bit of drama. 

I guess the Death Knight shot up a few spaces since he's an actual character now. While I can't say I particularly like the Death Knight his set of supports did elevate him from the failed character he was previously. Right now the Death Knight works as a character and reasonably succeeds in what he sets out to do.

I never liked Solon. He's a Slitherer and I recall placing every single one of them in the bottom category. However he wasn't dead last at the time and he is now. Having more time to think on the story really highlight how he just doesn't work. Its just so strange that Solon has all these plots that are given detail but are then quickly forgotten. Neither Solon's madness poison nor his capture of Flyne really ended up benefiting the Slitherers in any single way. They don't use the poison and they don't use Flayne's blood which makes the whole thing just pointless. 

I don't think Cornelia really was a subject of conversation at the time of that topic. I'd say she'd get an average rating. She's hardly a great villain but she's a decent one and surprisingly competent for a Slitherer. She handles the job of junior antagonist good enough. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

47 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I never liked Solon. He's a Slitherer and I recall placing every single one of them in the bottom category. However he wasn't dead last at the time and he is now. Having more time to think on the story really highlight how he just doesn't work. Its just so strange that Solon has all these plots that are given detail but are then quickly forgotten. Neither Solon's madness poison nor his capture of Flyne really ended up benefiting the Slitherers in any single way. They don't use the poison and they don't use Flayne's blood which makes the whole thing just pointless. 

What about Kronya? Because given the fact she was released in FEH before 3H came out (iirc), I was expecting her to be more prominent than to end up dying in the same chapter which she revealed herself.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I found myself liking Sothis less then I thought I would. Her being the sassy spirit is perfectly fine and there is nothing wrong with her character. However her role in the means that they just could't do anything interesting with her. Sothis being stuck in Byleth's head means she can only talk to Byleth. Talks with Byleth are already not the highlight of the game, but most of what she says is also not very relevant. 

Sothis is very important to the game, but by the time the game gets there, Sothis herself can't really do or say anything about that. I'd almost say you could just remove Sothis entirely and all you'd lose is the fusion scene and a excuse for  the time pulse. The concept of Sothis could still with just Byleth.

Dorothea was a more pleasant surprise. I was thinking of a less fanservicy Charlotte, but the game made her a very well rounded character. She wants to marry into riches sure, but its not played for laughs or fanservice. She's all in all a very friendly and well rounded character.

Gilbert also surprised me. I won't go as far to say that I really like him, but just his role in the story surprised me. I was expecting a Fuga character. A meaningless old veteran character, but instead Gilbert has a very prominent story role. Someone who actually manages things when Dimitri is less then capable of doing so himself.

Ok, so after reading Jeritza's supports now that he's playable, I can say that I like Jeritza, although I still think the Death Knight is a pretty terrible villain all things considered. I can get away with saying that cuz the game more or less says that they're two different people. The Death Knight is pretty much just an attack dog that the Empire just so happens to own. With Jeritza, I do think he has an interesting backstory, it's interesting to see someone with a split personality disorder in a Fire Emblem game, and I also like his relationship with Mercedes.

Edited by Gregster101

There are few, yes.

At first I thought Annette would be boring, but she ended up being my favorite female character in this game. And her story while is a bit more on the normal side, it still worked for me if that makes sense.

Hanneman is also a character who grew on me with time. At first, I was a bit tired of him as he almost only talking about crests and such, but his supports made me like him more. 

Sylvain was a character who made me roll my eyes whenever he spoke, but the amount of depth he has as a character won me over. For sure one of the best "flirty" characters which I've seen in a game.

My opinion on Edelgard used to change everyday, but now I can say I feel indifference towards her.

Catherine was someone who I liked at first, but...yeah I just couldn't anymore. A lot of wasted potential on her. 

And I think this is obvious, but I didn't expect to love Ashe as much as I do now haha. 

Back when we only had promotional material to go by, Claude was the most interesting lord and my sure pick. Now Golden Deer feels the most like a filler house (not counting Silver Snow Black Eagles) and Claude pales in comparison to Dimitri (my favorite of the 3H lords), Edelgard (imo the best character in 3H), and even Rhea (who hits morally gray better than Claude). My opinions haven't really changed since launch though, although I'm amused by Claude hiding his true name so well we needed WoG to tell us.

Honestly thought Claude would be my favorite character.  And then Blue Lions happened, and now I can't decide between Sylvain and Ashe.  Claude's still my favorite lord, because flying archer is just that good.

I pretty much liked everyone except Lorenz because of his off-putting appearance. I was hardcore Team Black Eagles and dead-set on Linhardt as my husbando.

Lorenz is still a bit of a jerk, but he improves in the time skip, and Ashe has become one of my favorite characters in the entire series. Sylvain also has some pretty emotional parts in the story, though I still primarily think of him as a comic relief character--a darned good one at that; almost to a fault since he has the uncanny ability to remove all tension in even the most dire and serious of dialogues.

I thought Blue Lions was gonna be my most hated house, with Black Eagles in hard second and Golden Deer running away with first. It turned out to be Black Eagles in dead last with Blue Lions just barely in second compared to Golden Deer. I'll go over every character.

Black Eagles:

Spoiler

Edelgard: Never liked her, which has somewhat just turned into ambivalence. She's got some good writing at points

Hubert: A bit more of a bro than I thought he'd be. Still don't like him.

Ferdinand: Thought he'd be just a meme, turned into one of my favorite characters. Best character in Black Eagles hands down.

Dorothea: Surprised me with how good she is. I still find her annoying, but a likable kind of annoying.

Caspar: Is the absolute worst. I despise him, my opinion has gone down the hardest on him.

Linhardt: Didn't care about him before, still don't.

Bernie: The whole culture around her ruined it for me. She's a fine character, but I just can't stand her anymore.

Petra: I like her timeskip design? Neutral on her.

Blue Lions

Spoiler

Dimitri: Started as my least favorite, ended up as my second favorite. Super good.

Dedue: Liked him more than I thought I would. Solid mid-high.

Mercedes: I hate her way more than I thought I would. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard, and she's so boring. An obvious black mark on the overall pretty good cast in Lions.

Ashe: Equally as boring as Mercedes, but I like his voice acting. Not offensively bad.

Felix: He's way more wholesome than I thought he'd be. Thought they'd lean too hard into edgelord, but it actually worked out well.

Sylvain: I didn't even realize Sylvain and Ferdinand were different characters until two weeks before the game came out. So from not knowing he existed to decent is an improvement.

Ingrid: I like her a lot less than I originally did. I don't even know why, I just do.

Annette: Exact opposite of Ingrid. I like her way more than I thought I would.

Golden Deer:

Spoiler

Claude: I like him a little less now, but man Joe Zieja is such a bro that he's still my fav.

Hilda: Didn't really care too much for her going into the game, and now she's my favorite character. Dunno, something just clicked.

Marianne: Similar thing with Hilda, didn't think I'd like her so much, and now she's in my top 3.

Lysithea: I knew I'd like Lysithea as much as I did. Nothing changed, equally as high.

Raphael: Opinion went a bit down, he's just kinda boring.

Ignatz: Opinion went way down. I thought I'd like him a lot more.

Leonie: Opinion went up, although that was from hate to ambivalence.

Lorenz: I had a soft spot for this guy going into the game, mainly since everyone was going on about his appearance. I was not disappointed. Similar to Ferdinand in that regard, although not as high.

Church:

Spoiler

Seteth: Didn't think he'd become best dad, really like him.

Flayn: Surprised that I liked her a lot, pretty good overall.

Catherine: No opinion on her at the start, and it went right down the gutter. Bad.

Shimir: Same as Catherine, but not as harsh.

Hanneman: I thought I'd hate him, now I'm just neutral

Manuela: Still hate her the same.

Cyril: A lot more annoying than I thought he'd be.

The villains weren't as good as I hoped they'd be, I'm not gonna go into them individually because I don't remember their names.

16 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

I thought Blue Lions was gonna be my most hated house, with Black Eagles in hard second and Golden Deer running away with first. It turned out to be Black Eagles in dead last with Blue Lions just barely in second compared to Golden Deer. I'll go over every character.

Black Eagles:

Reveal hidden contents

Edelgard: Never liked her, which has somewhat just turned into ambivalence. She's got some good writing at points

Hubert: A bit more of a bro than I thought he'd be. Still don't like him.

Ferdinand: Thought he'd be just a meme, turned into one of my favorite characters. Best character in Black Eagles hands down.

Dorothea: Surprised me with how good she is. I still find her annoying, but a likable kind of annoying.

Caspar: Is the absolute worst. I despise him, my opinion has gone down the hardest on him.

Linhardt: Didn't care about him before, still don't.

Bernie: The whole culture around her ruined it for me. She's a fine character, but I just can't stand her anymore.

Petra: I like her timeskip design? Neutral on her.

Blue Lions

Reveal hidden contents

Dimitri: Started as my least favorite, ended up as my second favorite. Super good.

Dedue: Liked him more than I thought I would. Solid mid-high.

Mercedes: I hate her way more than I thought I would. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard, and she's so boring. An obvious black mark on the overall pretty good cast in Lions.

Ashe: Equally as boring as Mercedes, but I like his voice acting. Not offensively bad.

Felix: He's way more wholesome than I thought he'd be. Thought they'd lean too hard into edgelord, but it actually worked out well.

Sylvain: I didn't even realize Sylvain and Ferdinand were different characters until two weeks before the game came out. So from not knowing he existed to decent is an improvement.

Ingrid: I like her a lot less than I originally did. I don't even know why, I just do.

Annette: Exact opposite of Ingrid. I like her way more than I thought I would.

Golden Deer:

Reveal hidden contents

Claude: I like him a little less now, but man Joe Zieja is such a bro that he's still my fav.

Hilda: Didn't really care too much for her going into the game, and now she's my favorite character. Dunno, something just clicked.

Marianne: Similar thing with Hilda, didn't think I'd like her so much, and now she's in my top 3.

Lysithea: I knew I'd like Lysithea as much as I did. Nothing changed, equally as high.

Raphael: Opinion went a bit down, he's just kinda boring.

Ignatz: Opinion went way down. I thought I'd like him a lot more.

Leonie: Opinion went up, although that was from hate to ambivalence.

Lorenz: I had a soft spot for this guy going into the game, mainly since everyone was going on about his appearance. I was not disappointed. Similar to Ferdinand in that regard, although not as high.

Church:

Hide contents

Seteth: Didn't think he'd become best dad, really like him.

Flayn: Surprised that I liked her a lot, pretty good overall.

Catherine: No opinion on her at the start, and it went right down the gutter. Bad.

Shimir: Same as Catherine, but not as harsh.

Hanneman: I thought I'd hate him, now I'm just neutral

Manuela: Still hate her the same.

Cyril: A lot more annoying than I thought he'd be.

The villains weren't as good as I hoped they'd be, I'm not gonna go into them individually because I don't remember their names.

You forgot Alois, Gilbert, and Jeritza

I kind of find it funny that you placed in Edelgard at the top and the Flame Emperor at the bottom of your original ranking.

There is a few things that has changed since I first started playing the game, or even since I finished my first route. (I wasn't introduced to this game until way after its release, as I didn't have a switch at the time, so I didn't really have any pre-release expectations)

First up is Edelgard, I liked this girl from the very beginning and she has only grown on me over time the more I found out about her. Though I was originally under the impression that Edelgard was a massively different outside of crimson flower, now that I have played through a majority of the other paths I can safely say that I don't think that is the case, she is more or less the same person regardless. Given what they heard from people about her role in azure moon. I expected Edelgard to go the same way as Rhea did in crimson flower, but that just wasn't true. She just never goes off the deep end to the same extent. 

Then we have Hubert, Ferdinand and Lysithea. Upon first impressions I expected Hubert to be like super evil and possibly actually being a spy for those who slither in the dark, so I disliked the guy in considered him a corrupting influence on Edelgard, but as I played through crimson flower. I started gaining respect for the guy, is logic might be cold but he's usually right and his loyalty to Edelgard is admirable, even if he shows it in his own way and it isn't always ideal. I regularly expected Ferdinand to be very annoying, but over time I have gained great respect for the guy and his viewpoints are vital for Edelgard's new Empire to work. I didn't care much for Lysithea at first, but upon learning of her background and understanding why she is the way she is, as well as watching her extremely cute support link with Edelgard, she won me over and Lysithea is now among my favourite characters.

Rhea is a character I was originally hated for being an amazingly cruel religious despot who puts on a fake friendly attitude for the masses, but when I learned of her background, I started to feel sorry for her. She is now one of my favourite characters in the entire game.

Then we have Dimitri, who I originally believed to be a boring goody two shoes, but then I heard that he was going to snap in his story, and I thought that it sounded vaguely interesting, but I was under the impression that his story would try to justify vengeance as a concept. Then I actually played the route and let me tell you that Dimitri slipped further into madness than I expected, and ironically, this is exactly what made me really like his character. Dimitri goes near genocidal crazy for a time and not even a shred of the goody two shoes remains, and the game. It never tries to justify his actions and attitude, quite the opposite. You literally fight for an unstable madman for a time while you wonder if you will ever get the original Dimitri back. To eventually see him overcome his mental issues. Thanks to Byleth's support is incredibly satisfying and him overcoming his hatred to try to reach out to Edelgard is quite a development. His story doesn't end in the spiteful sort of manner. I originally anticipated and I think that is amazing. For this reason Dimitri is my second favourite character in the entire game

Some yes, some no, some are still in the air. That's basically my TL;DR answer to the question.
A bit more in depth stuff about each house here:

Black Eagles

Edelgard: Started out liking her, still like her. Apparently, that's a controversial opinion, but I don't care.
Hubert: He kinda grew on me, but I'm still not entirely fond of the guy. The best part about him is that he's voiced by Robbie Daymond.
Ferdinand von Aegir: Meme character, shit unit. That much was clear to me since I first played Black Eagles. That impression didn't change much, but his supports with Mercedes managed to endear him to me. He's alright.
Caspar: Generic shonen protagonist. He's not my least favorite, but I wouldn't call him someone I liked, either.
Linhardt: Used to think his lazy gimmick was funny. Then I read his C and B supports with Flayn and Lysithea. Now he's just a creep to me.
Dorothea: I liked her from the beginning, but after playing the game, she honestly ended up as one of my favorite characters.
Bernadetta: It's a bit jarring that her trauma is used for comedy, but otherwise, she's one of the most relatable characters to me. That hasn't changed a bit. I was neutral on her at first, now she's one of my favorites.
Petra: Neutral on her at first, then I read some of her supports, especially with Bernadetta, Caspar, and Byleth, which made me really like her.

Blue Lions, my first house

Dimitri: I started out hating him prior to release, then I actually played the game and he along with Annette convinced me to pick his house first.
Sylvain: I tried to convince myself that he's a good guy beyond the philandering stuff due to his C-support with Dedue, but... no. Just no.
Ashe: Didn't really register with me, but I ended up really liking him. He's just a nice guy.
Dedue: I was neutral on him at first, too, but he ended up a good guy, as well. Though his loyalty to Dimitri goes too far (see C-support with Felix).
Felix: I figured he'd be a generic edgelord, then he dropped several truth bombs about how blind obedience is stupid. Now he's one of my favorite male characters in this game.
Mercedes: Like most of the Blue Lions, I was neutral on her, but ended up liking her. Not my favorite, but still.
Annette: At first, I was like "huh, this character seems fun". Then I played the game, picked Blue Lions and she ended up being my second favorite female.
Ingrid: Started out neutral on her, still am on her character. Hate her as a unit, though, since she flip-flops between tactical nuke and wet paper.

Golden Deer

Claude: The hype surrounding him prior to release made me not like him at first. Then I actually played Verdant Wind. Love his character. His voice actor is also a cool dude.
Lorenz: Started out hating him, still do. F*** this guy.
Raphael: Thought he'd be the gentle giant type of guy, but he's just male Effie. To the shitlist you go!
Ignatz: Bland, boring, and blaaaaaand. Think Elliot from Trails of Cold Steel only with painting instead of music. My opinion on him hasn't changed much, except that his post-time skip design makes him look incredibly dumb.
Hilda: She's not my favorite, but she's okay. A beast as a unit, too. I did think I would like her a bit more than I do, though.
Marianne: Neutral on her at first, now she's one of my favorites.
Leonie: "Jeralt, Jeralt, Jeralt, Jeralt, Jeralt." SHUT! UP! ... She looks cute post-time skip, but that's about all the good things I can say about her.
Lysithea: Thought I would like her and I did. A little bit overhyped as a unit, though.

Church

Rhea: Thought I would dislike her (prejudice be damned!), now I absolutely love her character. One of the best written characters in the series.
Seteth: I didn't know what to make of him at first, now he's easily my favorite male character in this game.
Flayn: I honestly had no idea she existed prior to playing this game. Now, I am fish girl trash.
Catherine: Thought she was cool at first, then I discovered she's a religious zealot and that was all she wrote. To the shitlist you go.
Shamir: Started out neutral on her, still kinda am, but my opinion on her after playing the game has certainly improved.
Alois: He's the fun uncle type of character, which I like. His dad jokes are genuinely funny to me.
Hanneman: Then and now: Meh. His interactions with Manuela are hilarious, though.
Manuela: Thought I would hate her, now she's one of the funniest characters to me. She reminds me of Fran Drescher's character from the 90s sitcom The Nanny.
Jeralt: The first dead dad character in Fire Emblem I actually cared about.

Others:

Byleth: I was wary, but Byleth delivered on my hopes for a silent protagonist in Fire Emblem.
Sothis: All hail the sass goddess!

7 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

You forgot Alois, Gilbert, and Jeritza

Oh yeah, I guess that kinda shows my opinion on them then. I had no opinion on any of them at the start, which transitioned into

Alois: One of the worst characters in the game

Gilbert: Ambivalent about him

Jeritza: Haven't actually read his supports, I should do that. 

Nah. Going through the effort of playing the game three additional times only served to reinforce first impressions on characters. The Route split doesn't really do much to reveal hidden nuances. I remember laughing out loud at the boss dialogue with Dimitri in CF, because it sounded like something I would write as a mean joke. Cindered Shadows also did nothing outside of characterizing the four new guys, which would have been fine until you learn all of the events of that story are treated as non-canonical. I'm definitely tired of alternate universe DLCs. May as well be dream sequences. No stakes.

57 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Hide contents

Edelgard: Started out liking her, still like her. Apparently, that's a controversial opinion, but I don't care.

Well, not that controversial, there are just as many vocal supporters of her as detractors, and judging by the fact that my YouTube comments about her usually gets a lot of likes. There might even be more supporters than detractors

Blue Lions 

Spoiler

Before the game's release and a bit after, I wasn't into the BL cast except Felix (mostly because I like the Navarre archetype). But he definitely surprised me as he is far more than that and for a guy that only trains and fights he says some truths many can't even comprehend. Also Ingrid from a boring girl whose name I can't remember turned out to be one of my favourite female characters. Dimitri himself also surprised me a lot. I didn't like him at the beginning as he seemed like the typical naive and good lord however his trauma, his transformation and finally redemption really impressed me and made me like him. Sylvain also impressed me with how he was not the typical flirty guy but had lot's of depth. I am mostly indifferent to the rest of the BL cast. 

Black Eagles

Spoiler

I from the first trailer was Black Eagles and still I like that house as it was also my first one. However, opinion on individual characters did change a lot. I always liked Edelgard from the "The crests are to blame" era back in 2018. Seeing her story and her character mede me like her even more and now I consider her one of my favourite characters in the series. Hubert was a character that disappointed me as I was expecting him to be more than Edelgard's henchman, which I think he is and I wish he had more sides to his character than his loyalty or being serious and scary. Caspar, Linhardt are somewhat annoying. Petra belongs in this category too but post timeskip mostly, she is miss perfect with an accent that is portrayed as her only flaw (to me at least). Dorothea is up there with Ingrid, she is one of my favourites. Her story is really great and her supports are some of my favourites. Beradetta, I am neutral to her as a character but I like her mostly because she is my inner thoughts manifested at times to an extent. Just was not into how the game had her as joke mostly. Ferdinand surprised in a really positive way how he grew to be such a nice character as I thought he would be limited to "I am noble" which is something he does a lot but he has depth and is not that annoying. 

Golden Deer

Spoiler

Really neutral towards them at the beginning, just was interested in Claude and Lysithea a bit. Claude was a bit of a disappointment for me I get why people might like him a lot but I just don't. He just became from a troublemaker to the perfect leader without any visible transition and his schemes being a popular thing that we almost never see. Also his back story is not as well portrayed as the back story of the other two Lords. Hilda was the exact opposite for me. I found her super boring at the beginning but she ended up shining at the end, as her friendship with Marriane and her supports did her justice and made her enjoyable. Marriane is also fun and I like her development from this really shy girl to the woman she is at the end. Lysithea is nice, has a nice backstory that does explain a lot about her. She is a child that wants to act like an adult because she has limited time and thinks she is gaining time this way but she still is a child regardless . I don't have much of an opinion about the rest. 

Church/others 

Spoiler

Rhea was the biggest surprise. One of the best writen characters in FE as a whole. I truly didn't think she would impress me like that and make me like her so much. Byleth was one of the best implementations of the avatar system, a character from whose perspective you see the story. Sothis is also nice. Her sass did make me smile at times and her story and involvement in the backstory is pretty nice as well especially when considering what she is now. Flayn and Seteth are two really enjoyable characters that I didn't pay much attention to at the beginning, but now I like a lot. Shamir and Haneman are also pretty good, they really had some great supports. The rest I didn't bother that much or found boring. 

The villians are pretty bad. The slitherers have a nice story and concept. However, as characters they are all boring and bad. 

Didn't really have high hopes for any of them prior to launch.

Black Eagles (my first house)

Spoiler

Edelgard: I was neutral about her at first. I still am, though, and she's my least favorite of the three house leaders.

Hubert: He eventually grew on me over time. I do have a thing for characters with a somewhat sinister demeanor.

Ferdinand: Couldn't tolerate him at all. I still don't, although his supports with Marianne has eased my dislike towards him so he's alright, I guess.

Caspar: I don't really like him that much but he ain't too bad either. I do admire his...enthusiasm...about fighting and all that.

Linhardt: He's basically a loser who does nothing but sleep. I don't have much of an opinion on him, really.

Dorothea: I found her annoying at first but after getting to know her better with her supports, she became best girl. Part II has made me appreciate her even more.

Bernadetta: I can understand the trauma she had to go through that made her what she is but that's still no excuse for how extremely annoying she is, it's not even funny. I will say she does look cute in Part II but my opinion on her remains the same.

Petra: Not much to say about her other than I like her design in Part II.

Blue Lions (my favorite house)

Spoiler

Dimitri: I didn't really had any high hopes for prince charming but as I played through the story and viewed his supports, he became my favorite of the house leaders.

Sylvain: Saw him as another pathetic womanizer but after viewing his supports and played his paralogue, I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. Not exactly a favorite of mine but he's still a good character.

Ashe: He's a pretty nice guy. Didn't really cared much about him at first.

Dedue: I found him to be a pretty bland. But his loyalty to Dimitri is admirable.

Felix: That's my guy right here. Sure he's an ass, which he has his reasons whether you agree with it or not, but that's what makes him great. His supports with Dimitri, Ingrid and Dorothea are top notch, in my opinion. Another favorite of mine.

Mercedes: Not exactly a favorite of mine but I do like her nonetheless. I like that she was able to reconnect with Jeritza after so long.

Annette: Charming and adorable is all I can say about her. She's just pretty fun to have around.

Ingrid: Only like the 3rd best girl. She's got quite the emotional background, in my eyes. Couldn't help but feel really bad for her.

Golden Deer

Spoiler

Claude: He's full of shit, but he's a cool dude. His background has made me appreciate him as a character.

Lorenz: He's even worse than Ferdinand. I don't like this guy at all. Only thing I like about him is his ridiculous dialogue when you invite him to sing.

Raphael: I like him but not enough to consider him a favorite. 

Ignatz: His design in Part I reminds me of Harry Potter. Anyways, he's an alright kind of guy. Painting pictures is what he does best.

Hilda: Another favorite favorite of mine. I like her cute design in Part I and I like her as a character too. After viewing her A support with Byleth, I can understand why she can be a pretty lazy person.

Marianne: 2nd best girl and another favorite. Having such a depressing demeanor is pretty hard to watch especially in her supports but I love how she's so full of life in Part II. I originally had no interest in her at first but she eventually grew on me especially after...well, actually...I'll leave it at that.

Leonie: ... ... ... ... ...I swear, every time she mentions Jeralt, I felt like throwing myself out the window. She's got nothing but Jeralt on her mind. Her supports with Byleth makes no sense to me at all. I don't believe I have anything good to say about this woman.

Lysithea: Overrated, really. As a character, she's alright, though I get annoyed every time she complains about being treated like a kid and shit.

Church of Seiros

Spoiler

Rhea: She's got issues. I don't really give a damn about her.

Seteth: I don't give a damn about him either but he ain't too bad.

Flayn: She's a pain in my ass. Go bother someone else.

Catherine: I don't really have anything to say about her. She's just there.

Shamir: I got a thing for deadly assassins and she's no exception. She's definitely my favorite of the church members.

Alois: Basically everyone's favorite uncle. Even though his jokes are god awful, he's an overall fun character to have around.

Hanneman: Same with Catherine, although his interactions with Manuela are pretty hilarious.

Manuela: I don't like her that much because she's annoying as hell. But as mentioned with Hanneman, her interactions with him are hilarious. Another good thing about her is that she's voiced by Veronica Taylor.

Jeralt: Probably the best dad Fire Emblem has ever had.

Edited by Faustino

A few opinions have changed over time, yeah. Sylvain and Lysithea have both kinda slid down the rankings a bit, especially Lysithea. Not to say I dislike either of them, because I don't, but I don't rank them as high as I did when I was first getting to know them. Edelgard I didn't like as much as I thought I would. Dimitri, Ashe, and Mercedes I liked WAY more than I thought I would, and they've all gradually gone higher in my rankings as more time has gone by. Raphael didn't interest me all that much, but now he's a bit higher in my rankings.

Eh why not, I'll jump in on this.

Black Eagles

Spoiler

Edelgard: Went from expecting her to be my favorite and possible competition for Micaiah, to having such a major issue with her that I dropped her route, to liking her character even if I didn't agree with her at all. Now her fans are slowly pushing me back into dislike her territory. Needless to say, my track record with Edelgard has been.... volatile.

Hubert: Thought he was creepy at first and that opinion hasn't really changed. Other than that I'm kinda indifferent to him. Wish his character had more to it than "Serve Lady Edelgard".

Ferdinand: Expected to greatly dislike him, then I ended up liking him the best out of the Eagles. I love his character arc and he's just a generally good character. So yeah, I like him.

Caspar: He's..... okay? He kinda gets on my nerves. My opinion of him didn't change though so at least he stayed consistent and didn't get worse.

Linhardt: Wanted to like him. Ended up disliking him a bit. He's not only boring, some of his supports come across as creepy.

Dorothea: Best female Eagle personality wise, hands down. I expected to like her, I did like her, I still like her.

Petra: She's a monster on a wyvern. That alone is enough for me to like her. Add in that she's generally a sweet person just trying to do her best for her people and she's all around likable.

Bernadetta: 0/10, worst character in 3H and worst female in the franchise to me. Opinion has not changed. She's still the worst.

Blue Lions

Spoiler

Dimitri: Went into the game expecting to like him the least of the 3 lords. Wouldn't you know it, he shot up to my favorite male in the franchise. Move over Ike.

Dedue: He's sweet but his character was really hurt by his disappearing act. Thanks to that he goes from "good character" to "meh character". Sorry Dedue.

Felix: Second best male in the game. He's amazing. I love him. I didn't expect to as I usually am not a fan of tsundere coded characters but he just won me over and didn't even blink doing it.

Ingrid: I liked her at the beginning, I like her even more now. It's not very hard to make her a good unit and I find her conflicts to be quite believable and relatable.

Sylvain: I didn't like him at first but as the story went on he grew on me... a little. He went from dislike to begrudging acceptance of his presence. I still don't like his general attitude toward women and while I admit that he's a good character, I don't see us ever being able to be friends.

Mercedes: I love her. If you hurt Mercedes, I will fight you. She's a strong person who has been through so much crap and is kind to everyone because she chooses to be that way, no matter what other people have thrown at her.

Annette: I didn't expect to like her as much as I do. She's amazing, genuine, and a sweet heart. I relate to her family struggles way too much and her supports with Felix are pure sunshine.

Ashe: I didn't pay him much mind at first, but the arc with Lonato when I played the BL for the first time really endeared him to me.

Golden Deer

Spoiler

Claude: Expected to like him the most of the males. Now he ranks below Dimitri and Felix but still top 3 so there's that. I just expected him to be a bit... more. Also his ending really soured me on his character. Sorry Claude. You're still great overall.

Hilda: I did not like her at ALL when I first started playing. Spoiled, whiny, pampered, lazy types are not my cup of tea. However, between reading more of her supports, seeing her genuine face with her friends, and her being an absolute beast of a unit she grew on me. Now I always recruit her when I can.

Lorenz: I kinda felt bad for him from the start so I approached him with more of an open mind. Thanks to that I can honestly say I started out liking him and still like him.

Lysithea: Great character, great mage, that has not changed. She's great.

Raphael: Indifferent to him. He seems like a good guy.

Ignatz: Also indifferent. Sorry buddy. You also seem really sweet, but when you're surrounded by such personalities you need more stand out moments.

Leonie: I wanted to like you. I tried so hard to like you. I don't.

Marianne: I know everyone likes her a lot but I just find myself feeling kinda indifferent about her character. Like she's okay, she's certainly better than some of the cast, but I just don't feel a huge attachment to her.

Church

Spoiler

Rhea: I was unsure what to make of Rhea going into the game and my first route had me very indifferent toward her. But as I played through the other routes she really grew on me as a character. I feel bad for her and feel like I can understand the choices she made. So yeah, like her a lot more now.

Seteth: I expected to hate him. I really did. But no. He's amazing, a logical character with a good head on his shoulders alongside a good heart and some of the best supports in the game.

Flayn: I like her as a character. I really should use her more...

Catherine: Second worst character. Only Bernadetta is worse than her. This opinion has not changed through 6 playthroughs of the game.

Shamir: Started indifferent, ended indifferent.

Cyril: He's okay? I don't get a lot of the hate for him. The fact that you can S support him is still creepy.

Hanneman: I started out not liking him, but then he grew into that grandpa esque professor from college that you just can't help but like. Also his moments with Manuela are hilarious.

Manuela: No. Sorry, I do not like her. She's not the worst but she's certainly in the bottom.

Alois: That funny uncle that you love to see at family gatherings. How could anyone dislike Alois?

An interesting thread. Hmm... 

To be honest, I didn't think my opinions changed much, but... yeah, I think some did. 

Black Eagles:

• Ferdinand: Didn't think much of him at first. Thought he would be a snobbish noble. Now I absolutely adore the guy and even got a shirt with him on it. My second most favorite character of the house, losing to Edelgard. Fitting. XD
  • Caspar: I was neutral to him. And I know some find him annoying but he really strikes me at times when he gets sensitive. I didn't expect him to constantly fret over the issue of how his dad killed Petra's father or Shamir's people. And how he has that entire moral dilemma in his support with Byleth. So I actually started to like him a bit more. 
  • Bernadetta: While I find her adorable, and her social anxiety is something I can relate to, I do have some issues in regards to how little they tend to make her really change. I still like her, but I feel... disappointed that they didn't fully embrace her development. And I dislike how they make her worse off in some endings. 

Blue Lions:

• Dimitri: I started out on reddit, so that was a bad place to discuss. As you may guess, it resulted in what a character I had been neutral and okay on, to more on the dislike side. I am tolerant of him, but his fans are way too willing to defend and justify his actions or give him a pass. 
  • Dedue: Oh Dedue... I expected more from you. But you became what others joke about. You became Dimitri's "black friend" and that's all it was. I really grew to dislike him. All that potential. Wasted. I had hoped that he would have been a really interesting character, one that suffered at the hands of Faerghus and had his own beliefs and wanted to change things. Nope. He is basically Dimitri's loyal lapdog, and that's a damn shame. 
  • Sylvain: I'm generally a fan of the shameless flirts, just cause they are humorous. He even had his reasons too. But the fact that he actually purposefully breaks hearts because he secretly hates women is... really dickish. Like, he's basically an asshole. And he tends to throw himself a self-pity party too often for my tastes. 
  • Mercedes: Her voice was a bit... grating. But I grew to really like her character and the voice grew on me. The girl's been through a lot and I genuinely love how her ending with Jeritza is just so wholesome. They are finally a true family again. 

Golden Deer:

• Claude: I was... disappointed. Not with his character. HIs theme. Wants to end racism, but his story is primarily the exposition lore department, which is a damn shame. And more about how they really screwed over with the morality department. Like, seriously? It bothers me how in a story of moral grey, and how he tries to be not some goody-goody, the story still tries to portray him as a good guy more than anything. I still like the guy, but it's like Bernie. Disappointing how they handled him.
  • Marianne: I'll be honest, I disliked her depressive mood. Didn't even care much for her at first. But then I really grew to love her when I went over her supports. So I'm glad that they turned her around. 
  • Raphael: I thought him as just a muscle head at first. Again, didn't care much for him. But I really like how... optimistic he is. Even when he meets with hard times, he remains optimistic. And yes, he is still a muscle head, but a really sweet muscle head. 

Church: 

• Catherine: Sigh... sorry. I used to think she was cool, but then I started to really dislike her. The woman gave up her own free will to become obedient to Rhea's will. And was incredibly hypocritical overall. 
  • Hanneman: I was genuinely creeped out by him. I thought he was some mad scientist. But no, he's a really great guy that values people over Crests, which I am glad for. Though sometimes his eccentrics is a tad much.
  • Rhea: I thought she was evil at first. She isn't, which is great, but I am not entirely sympathetic with her as others are. She had her reasons, and that's fine. But she had countless years to have tried to move on and actually try to do her job. I feel much tragedy could have been averted had she done that. I genuinely wish that she and Edelgard could have had a positive moment together.

S) "Absolutely adore/Anna returned to be what she should've never stopped to be" tier

A) "Like a lot" tier

B) "Like" tier

C) "Neutral/Quite like but not enough for B" tier

D) Every character in this tier should have his/her own tier but i dislike them all so they're all stuck in a general "don't like at all" tier

Old Tier List:
S) Anna, Annette, Claude, Dimitri, Dorothea, Flayn, Manuela, Marianne, Mercedes, Rhea

A) Bernadetta, Caspar, Dedue, Felix, Ferdinand, Hilda, Petra, Seteth, Shamir, Sylvain

B) Alois, Ashe, Catherine, Hanneman, Hubert, Ingrid, Linhardt, Raphael, Rodrigue, Sothis

C) Gilbert, Ignatz, Jeralt, Jeritza, Leonie, Lonato, Lorenz, Tomas

D) Kronya, Cyril, Death Knight, Edelgard, Flame Emperor, Lysithea, Solon, Byleths, Thales

New Tier List:
S) Dimitri, Dorothea, Flayn, Manuela, Marianne, Mercedes, Rhea

A) Alois, Annette, Caspar, Dedue, Ferdinand, Hilda, Seteth, Sylvain

B) Caspar, Catherine, Claude, Felix, Hanneman, Hubert, Lorenz, Petra, Raphael, Rodrigue, Shamir

C) Bernadetta, Cyril, Gilbert, Ignatz, Ingrid, Jeralt, Jeritza, Leonie, Linhardt, Lonato, Sothis, Tomas

D) Anna, Byleths, Kronya, Edelgard, Flame Emperor, Lysithea, Death Knight, Solon, Thales

the biggest change for me was Anna, who moved from S Tier ("Absolutely adore these characters/Anna returned to be what she should've never stopped to be" tier) to D (Bottom) tier: for me, Anna should always remain a nice joke character and nothing more, so of course i didn't like the fact that they once again made her playable, with zero support conversation to boot

Claude dropped too, because it took me quite some time to realize that, his personality aside, there's not much left to his character, and he doesn't even seem that important for his own route

Bernadetta also dropped, i just got bored of her as time passed

as for the others, they're more or less where they were in the old tier

Hmmmm kay, let me try to format this as simple as I can. Note that I'm just rating the change in opinion itself.

Winners:

Edelgard. Pre-release material left me a bit underwhelmed. In the end I really like what they did with her... but also I don't, on Crimson Flower. Still a win overall.
Hubert. Expected a bit of a walking trope, his post-mortem letter basically single-handedly salvaged his character for me. Still a bit repetitive.
Sylvain. His family drama was really interesting. I had a good impression but he went beyond.
Lorenz. Was expecting him to be entertaining, turns out I adore the guy.
Hanneman. Better than expected! His past and perspective are welcomed, even though he's a bit repetitive otherwise.

Big winners:

Dedue. What can I say, bros are no stranger to Fire Emblem, but this guy... he's almost Finn tier. Took me by surprise.
Rhea. Expected them to miss the mark on this one, and they didn't, she's truly interesting and layered.
Seteth. Judging from popularity polls I'm not alone here. They did nothing to make him look interesting pre-release. In the end he's important, complex, and has some of the best supports in the game, both for him and the characters he's being associated with.

Losers:

Petra. Black Eagles students suffer a lot from how the branching path deals with their character imo. She in particular is here because I had high expectations, and in the end she's largely just serviceable.
Dimitri. Yup. Basically his path evoked feelings of "I guess I'm too jaded a person to be emotionally invested right now...?" He's still okay though. I do still like him.
Mercedes. High expectations, but I just don't feel like there's that much to her in the end. I know it's partially her character but, I don't like how... emotionally monotone she is.

Hard losers:

Caspar. The kind of characters where you tell yourself "nobody will like them, but I will" Turns out... I really kinda don't, which is a bummer.
Ingrid. I... I mean she's a nice girl but... why did they let her fight Faerghus? Why is she so static a character? Others have problems similar to hers, but she in particular disappointed me perhaps the worst.
Catherine. So I didn't actually have high expectations here or anything, but... I mean I haven't seen many of her supports so this one is potentially unfair. From what I do have seen however she's one of the very few I actually dislike a little, and she just has less of a place in the plot than it feels like she should.

Something happened but I'd ultimately rate them the same:

Lysithea. What can I say? Her overwhelming popularity got to me, it really did. Especially because it felt very much unwarranted, from the start. Yet, I greatly enjoy using her as an unit, as she's very flexible. Her backstory is also pretty good and I have nothing against her character. So I pointlessly fought against the wave many times(only for FE youtubers to comparatively effortlessly fix the problem, as usual), but... I still like Lysithea, ironically.
Jeralt. Expected a badass for lack of a better word, which he really isn't. But he's a genuinely caring dad, which I didn't see coming, so I still like the guy. Also while he's the worst part of Leonie, she's actually a pretty good part of him, if that makes sense.
Cyril. He could be up there in big winners because I was blindsided by aspects of his personality, but, you guessed it, Rhea Rhea Rhea Rhea Rhea. He has great supports, but is arguably among the worst outside of them. So I'm still kinda neutral on the little dude.
Leonie. I expected to adore Leonie. I do adore Leonie. She's better than I expected, some of her exchanges with Byleth just work on every level for me. But Jeralt Jeralt Jeralt Jeralt Jeralt.
... so overall I adore Leonie, but she's still a missed opportunity somehow. It's weird.

Edited by Cysx