Anime Discussion Thread

ciphertul

With a lot of place on lockdown, I think now would be a good time to get some anime in. However as a fan of older(ish) anime I have no idea what to watch. I mostly like to watch romance and comedies but I do enjoy action that has a good story. Like I loved Love Hina, it’s what really hooked me into anime after Roroni Kenshin got me interested. Some of my favorites are Pani Poni Dash, Speed Grapher, Ergo Proxy, Shuffle, Clannad and .Hack. I started That time I was reincarnated in another world as a slime and Horizon in the middle of nowhere, but haven’t finished them. What would everyone suggest?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not entirely up to date with modern anime however you can't go wrong with My Hero Academia for a modern anime. I've never seen it but Demon Slayer is supposedly really good, and its similar to Kenshin with its Japanese setting and focus on swordplay.

As for an oldie you could always consider watching FMA Brotherhood. Its often placed as one of the best anime of all time and its on Netflix so you can get your hands on it really easy. Quarantine might also be a good time to put yourself through the time abyss that is One Piece. 

The Magi anime is really interesting with a far too rare Arabian Night setting and dozens of countries and factions all fighting for dominance. Its however also very unfinished with the anime ending at season 2 some years ago and no new season being in sight. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

46 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Roroni Kenshin got me interested.

Too bad the mangaka is a pedophile

regardless, been rewatching Naruto recently and well I’m enjoying myself. Now that I’m a lot older and with a more mature out look on my critique of stories, I can better understand the general nuances and themes that Kishimoto was going for. Naruto is a lot better than people give it credit for honestly. There are a lot of really interesting ideas it explores in great depth. It’s a good show/manga. Also Sasuke is the best character and you can’t change my mind on that

30 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Too bad the mangaka is a pedophile

regardless, been rewatching Naruto recently and well I’m enjoying myself. Now that I’m a lot older and with a more mature out look on my critique of stories, I can better understand the general nuances and themes that Kishimoto was going for. Naruto is a lot better than people give it credit for honestly. There are a lot of really interesting ideas it explores in great depth. It’s a good show/manga. Also Sasuke is the best character and you can’t change my mind on that

I don’t think a persons action should influence your enjoyment of their work.

I tried to get into Naruto, really couldn’t. I did try thou.

43 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I'm not entirely up to date with modern anime however you can't go wrong with My Hero Academia for a modern anime. I've never seen it but Demon Slayer is supposedly really good, and its similar to Kenshin with its Japanese setting and focus on swordplay.

As for an oldie you could always consider watching FMA Brotherhood. Its often placed as one of the best anime of all time and its on Netflix so you can get your hands on it really easy. Quarantine might also be a good time to put yourself through the time abyss that is One Piece. 

The Magi anime is really interesting with a far too rare Arabian Night setting and dozens of countries and factions all fighting for dominance. Its however also very unfinished with the anime ending at season 2 some years ago and no new season being in sight. 

I was never a big fan of FMA, and One Piece lost me at Skypia. 

I’ll try to limit it down a bit more. I dislike SAO and generally don’t care much for Shonen style anime. Not trying to hate on anyone but that is how I feel 

Well my favorites tend to be action anime for the most part and I tend to like older anime better as well.  My all time favorite series is Saiyuki, the anime is good the manga is better though.  Trigun is nice.  Escaflowne is really good and the anime that got me in to anime.  Lupin the 3rd is what I am watching right now because I need a laugh and it is about the only anime I can get my mom to watch she really likes it.  Black Butler is another favorite.  Galaxy Railways and Trinity Blood are also in my collection.  As to newer anime the last one I watched was School Babysitters and it is just a cute fluffy anime so I don't know if you would like it or not. 

31 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Well my favorites tend to be action anime for the most part and I tend to like older anime better as well.  My all time favorite series is Saiyuki, the anime is good the manga is better though.  Trigun is nice.  Escaflowne is really good and the anime that got me in to anime.  Lupin the 3rd is what I am watching right now because I need a laugh and it is about the only anime I can get my mom to watch she really likes it.  Black Butler is another favorite.  Galaxy Railways and Trinity Blood are also in my collection.  As to newer anime the last one I watched was School Babysitters and it is just a cute fluffy anime so I don't know if you would like it or not. 

I think I watched the Escaflowne movie a decade or so ago. I honestly can really only remember the name. It was on adult swim with the Cowboy Bebop movie. But I did love Puchim@s and Potomuyo so I’m okay with cutesy. 

I only really started watching anime last year, and it's all been relatively new stuff as I've mainly been going by anime I've heard is really good or, more recently, what anime I find on Netflix that sound interesting, so I can't help too much. But here's what I can suggest.

Seeing that you don't like Shonen Anime or FMA: Brotherhood, what I would recommend would be the following (I found all of these on Netflix, so they're easy to find):

1. One-Punch Man: This was the first anime I had ever seen aside from Spider Riders, and it is fantastic. It is basically the ultimate parody of both Shonen Anime and the Superhero Genre (key word there being parody; even if you don't like the genre, then you might still be able to enjoy a good parody of it). Not only is it hilarious, but it has a great story and characters, and it has some heart-wrenching moments that can really catch you off-guard because of how funny the show normally is. It's truly something. 
  2. Violet Evergarden: If you are able to cry due to strong emotion, then this show will make you cry, so have a tissue box at your side. This show tells the story of Violet Evergarden: a young woman with supernatural abilities who has only ever known a life as a weapon of war. Now, the war's over, and she has to adjust to a civilian life that she has never known. She has trouble understanding people and communication (something I can relate to because of my high-functioning autism), so she becomes a ghost writer for people who can't write, and she ends up helping people overcome their emotional scars, while also growing as a person as she tries to understand her Major's last words to her. It is a great story that is very emotionally-charged. 
Edited by vanguard333

56 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

Demon Slayer is pretty good, I also watched The Promised Neverland and I really liked that one.

I loved the The Promised Neverland when I watched it but then I switched to the manga and the most recent stuff has been disappointing.

Anyway, you didn't list Cowboy Bebop but I'm assuming you've probably at least heard of that. I'm putting it here on the off chance that you haven't though. Kaguya-sama: Love is War is really adorable and you said you like romance/comedy, so this might be for you. It's a high school show about two brilliant students who are clearly in love devising ways to get the other person to confess their love first. It's really really funny but it is recent. Death Note. On that note, if you haven't seen Death Note, have a look at that. It's not comedy or action, it's a detective show set in modern Japan, but it's a classic. Someone said One-Punch Man already but I just want to concur. It's a fantastic parody of shonen and of super-heroes in general, but has a really strong thematic foundation, animation that will knock you out, and it's hilarious. Mob Psycho is by the same creator as One-Punch Man, but it's set in middle-school. The art style is off-putting to some people (myself the first time I watched it) but I really loved it once I sat down and watched the whole thing. I'm also going to say Space Battleship Yamato 2199. Personally I've never been a big fan of space shows, but this one is an exception. It's among my personal favorites. It has the honor of being a remake of what is basically the first real space anime (the original aired in the 70s) so it feels very classic. Fair warning though: the pacing is a little off and it starts out really slow. You have to get through about 10 episodes or so before it takes off, BUT once it hits the ground it's fantastic for the rest of the show.

Edited by Solvaij

Recently watched the last BokuHero season. I never liked the arc that season covered but that last episode was stunning. I know it's weird to call out one episode from an entire season but it's just that good and kickstarts the arc of one of my favorite characters in the manga.

---

I was planning to watch Oregairu S3 and Re Zero S2 but because of Corona those plans fell through ;_;

Now I'm only watching otome game no hametsu flag to see the adventures of Bakarina animated. So far they don't dissapoint.

---

I might start watching Kimetsu no Yaiba. I've seen a lot of people hype both the anime and manga so I might watch the anime and then continue with the manga if I like it.

I recommend Hunter X Hunter, Legend Of The Galactic Heroes and Shingeki No Kyoujin.

Edited by Strullemia

3 hours ago, Solvaij said:

I loved the The Promised Neverland when I watched it but then I switched to the manga and the most recent stuff has been disappointing.

Ugh, tell me about it! As someone who has been reading it's manga since the very start, I'm very sad with how things went. 

6 hours ago, Solvaij said:

Death Note. On that note, if you haven't seen Death Note, have a look at that. It's not comedy or action, it's a detective show set in modern Japan, but it's a classic. Someone said One-Punch Man already but I just want to concur. It's a fantastic parody of shonen and of super-heroes in general, but has a really strong thematic foundation, animation that will knock you out, and it's hilarious.

I was the one that mentioned One-Punch Man, and thanks for concurring; it is a fantastic show (although season 2 felt like it was rushing to get from point a to point b). 

As for Death Note, I wish I could concur, but I saw maybe the first half of the first episode before stopping it and deciding it wasn't my cup of tea. I guess I'm not really into stories where the protagonist is a serial killer with a death book given to him by a grim reaper, and I thought I could look past it for the cat-and-mouse-detective aspect of the show, but I guess I couldn't. 

Anyway, one anime that I've been watching recently, though I'm torn on whether or not I want to recommend it as I haven't finished it, is one called Record of the Grancrest War. I'm currently on episode 8, and it's fairly interesting so far. I've seen 10-minute video reviews describe it as "anime Game of Thrones" but that only really conveys certain aspects of the show; namely the political intrigue. There's action, but it's not Shonen action; it's more like an anime fantasy war story, with battlefields, sieges, tactics, formations, etc. The characters are fairly interesting and the story is alright so far (minus some issues I have with its opening 10 minutes).

If I had to describe my main problem with it, it would be the pacing. Shows like Game of Thrones (in its early seasons when it wasn't bad) and such with warfare and political intrigue usually have a nice slow pace so the audience can absorb what's going on in the world and in the moments. This show doesn't do that; it tosses a lot of names and aspects of its world and magic system at you at almost breakneck-pace, and it can be hard to absorb it all. So, if you watch it, be careful to be very attentive. 

I guess the main reason I'm recommending it would be that it does sometimes remind me of Fire Emblem when I'm watching it because of a lot of things about its world, characters, and story. Honestly, I could see a Fire Emblem game incorporating certain aspects of the show in the future. 

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

I was the one that mentioned One-Punch Man, and thanks for concurring; it is a fantastic show (although season 2 felt like it was rushing to get from point a to point b). 

As for Death Note, I wish I could concur, but I saw maybe the first half of the first episode before stopping it and deciding it wasn't my cup of tea. I guess I'm not really into stories where the protagonist is a serial killer with a death book given to him by a grim reaper, and I thought I could look past it for the cat-and-mouse-detective aspect of the show, but I guess I couldn't. 

Anyway, one anime that I've been watching recently, though I'm torn on whether or not I want to recommend it as I haven't finished it, is one called Record of the Grancrest War. I'm currently on episode 8, and it's fairly interesting so far. I've seen 10-minute video reviews describe it as "anime Game of Thrones" but that only really conveys certain aspects of the show; namely the political intrigue. There's action, but it's not Shonen action; it's more like an anime fantasy war story, with battlefields, sieges, tactics, formations, etc. The characters are fairly interesting and the story is alright so far (minus some issues I have with its opening 10 minutes).

If I had to describe my main problem with it, it would be the pacing. Shows like Game of Thrones (in its early seasons when it wasn't bad) and such with warfare and political intrigue usually have a nice slow pace so the audience can absorb what's going on in the world and in the moments. This show doesn't do that; it tosses a lot of names and aspects of its world and magic system at you at almost breakneck-pace, and it can be hard to absorb it all. So, if you watch it, be careful to be very attentive. 

I guess the main reason I'm recommending it would be that it does sometimes remind me of Fire Emblem when I'm watching it because of a lot of things about its world, characters, and story. Honestly, I could see a Fire Emblem game incorporating certain aspects of the show in the future. 

I hated Grancrest war, they flat out ruined Marrine. After finish the first season I had zero interest in watching more

Initial D is personally my favorite anime. It's a racing anime with quite a few meme-able moments, and it's got a pretty decent pace to it. It's got plenty of high-speed thrills, and a lot of the eurobeat is fantastic. It's a fairly unique genre. If you're into cars or racing, I would absolutely recommend it. It's also got a bit of drama, too, but not too much. 1st Stage is maybe the best out of all the stages, but I would recommend watching it all the way through. It starts out as an older anime, but the final stage is somewhat recent. 1st and 4th stages are about the same length (~25 episodes), 2nd and 5th stages are half the length of 1st and 4th (~12 episodes), 3rd stage is a movie, and Final stage is a 4 episode finale.

I would've also recommended Fullemetal Alchemist 2003, but I saw that you said you weren't a big fan of FMA.

Cowboy Bepop, while I haven't watched all of it myself, is absolutely stellar, I hear. 

As for my final suggestion, I highly recommend Death Parade. I won't say much about it since I feel that it's best experienced blind.

33 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

I hated Grancrest war, they flat out ruined Marrine. After finish the first season I had zero interest in watching more

Got it. I understand; that honestly sounds a lot like me when I saw Code Geass; after the Euphemia Incident, I just couldn't keep watching. 

Also, I just finished episode 9 of Grancrest War (and I'm guessing by that statement about Marinne that you and I share similar sentiments about a certain scene in that episode); all the more reason I understand. 

Wait; there's more than one season? Netflix lists it all as one 24-episode season, and when I checked Wikipedia, it lists just 24 episodes. Were they originally split into two parts?

Edited by vanguard333

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Got it. I understand; that honestly sounds a lot like me when I saw Code Geass; after the Euphemia Incident, I just couldn't keep watching. 

Also, I just finished episode 9 of Grancrest War (and I'm guessing by that statement about Marinne that you and I share similar sentiments about a certain scene in that episode); all the more reason I understand. 

Wait; there's more than one season? Netflix lists it all as one 24-episode season, and when I checked Wikipedia, it lists just 24 episodes. Were they originally split into two parts?

Yes. They had a 12 episode season at first, then after a wait then did 12 more. That scene, I just felt it ruined Marinne character I had like her before but... not after that

2 hours ago, ciphertul said:

Yes. They had a 12 episode season at first, then after a wait then did 12 more. That scene, I just felt it ruined Marinne character I had like her before but... not after that

Oh. Okay. Yeah; it did seem more like a decision written because they couldn't think of another way to keep the conflict going than a decision written because it would fit the characters; hence the comparison to the Euphemia Incident in Code Geass. 

Anyway, what did you think of my other two suggestions (One-Punch Man and Violet Evergarden)?

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh. Okay. Yeah; it did seem more like a decision written because they couldn't think of another way to keep the conflict going than a decision written because it would fit the characters; hence the comparison to the Euphemia Incident in Code Geass. 

Anyway, what did you think of my other two suggestions (One-Punch Man and Violet Evergarden)?

I have never heard of Violet Evergarden, so I’ll have to look it up.

One Punch Man, is a different can o’ worm. When I compare it to other OP style anime it seems... weaker. Like the other OP ones I have watched(they are all ieseki) all have something else to challenge them. In Overlord, you watch it for the moral struggle that Ains has. In Slime, it the way Ririmu has the diplomatic approach and trying to find peace. In Death March, he actively tries to hide the fact that he is OP and attempts to find other ways. So the just finding a stronger enemy isn’t that interesting. I know it’s a parody show but... I still need a bit more.

Edited by ciphertul

1 minute ago, ciphertul said:

I have never heard of Violet Evergarden, so I’ll have to look it up.

One Punch Man, is a different can o’ worm. When I compare it to other OP style anime it seems... weaker. Like the other OP ones I have watched(they are all ieseki) all have something else to challenge them. In Overlord, you watch it for the moral struggle that Ains has. In Slime, it the way Ririmu has the diplomatic approach and trying to find peace. In Death March, he actively tries to hide the fact that he attempts to find other ways. So the just finding a stronger enemy isn’t that interesting. I know it’s a parody show but... I still need a bit more.

Okay. 

I think there are two things about One-Punch Man that fill in that area you're describing: 

1. The supporting cast: If you watched One-Punch Man, you may have noticed that the show gradually focuses less and less on Saitama himself and gives more screen-time to the other heroes; usually in the form of them getting beaten by that arc's main villain. That's not an accident; in comedic terms, they are the setup; Saitama is simply the punchline. But it's a lot more than that; it also adds a new layer of tension in each arc. For instance, in the Deep Sea King arc, we know Saitama would be able to beat the Deep Sea King, so the story tension instead comes from whether or not he can make it in time while all these other heroes that are there try to protect everyone. One of my favourite moments in the whole show comes from that very arc: it's the scene where Mumen Rider: one of the weakest heroes in the entire Hero Association, tries to fight the Deep Sea King. He's badly outmatched and has no chance, and, as it turns out, he knows that. But he has to try anyway, and he delivers a very heartfelt speech about exactly why he still has to try. 

2. Saitama's Character Struggle: One of the best aspects of the show is that it's very self-aware (that's the point of parody). Saitama's OP, he knows it, and he very much dreads it. They take his OP nature to the logical extreme for comedy, but they also direct it inward and ask how Saitama feels about it, and his struggle is very interesting. When he was just a normal salaryman, he was depressed by how powerless he was and how he didn't really have any motivation to keep going. Now, he finally got his wish and is the strongest hero, and he's now depressed by how powerful he is and how he doesn't have any motivation to keep going. The fights are over in one punch, so he doesn't get the satisfaction of a good fight. There's no sign of the evils of the world disappearing, so he doesn't have the satisfaction of knowing he's accomplishing something good, and he doesn't even get the credit for his heroics (at first). At the same time, he still has to live in the world: he lives in an abandoned part of the city because the rent's cheap, he keeps track of grocery sales, and at one point, he's more concerned with giving a cashier exact change than he is with the giant monster that just flattened the entrance to the store. 

I'm probably not doing a great job explaining either of these aspects of the show, but trust me when I say that the show is not lacking. 

46 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Okay. 

I think there are two things about One-Punch Man that fill in that area you're describing: 

1. The supporting cast: If you watched One-Punch Man, you may have noticed that the show gradually focuses less and less on Saitama himself and gives more screen-time to the other heroes; usually in the form of them getting beaten by that arc's main villain. That's not an accident; in comedic terms, they are the setup; Saitama is simply the punchline. But it's a lot more than that; it also adds a new layer of tension in each arc. For instance, in the Deep Sea King arc, we know Saitama would be able to beat the Deep Sea King, so the story tension instead comes from whether or not he can make it in time while all these other heroes that are there try to protect everyone. One of my favourite moments in the whole show comes from that very arc: it's the scene where Mumen Rider: one of the weakest heroes in the entire Hero Association, tries to fight the Deep Sea King. He's badly outmatched and has no chance, and, as it turns out, he knows that. But he has to try anyway, and he delivers a very heartfelt speech about exactly why he still has to try. 

2. Saitama's Character Struggle: One of the best aspects of the show is that it's very self-aware (that's the point of parody). Saitama's OP, he knows it, and he very much dreads it. They take his OP nature to the logical extreme for comedy, but they also direct it inward and ask how Saitama feels about it, and his struggle is very interesting. When he was just a normal salaryman, he was depressed by how powerless he was and how he didn't really have any motivation to keep going. Now, he finally got his wish and is the strongest hero, and he's now depressed by how powerful he is and how he doesn't have any motivation to keep going. The fights are over in one punch, so he doesn't get the satisfaction of a good fight. There's no sign of the evils of the world disappearing, so he doesn't have the satisfaction of knowing he's accomplishing something good, and he doesn't even get the credit for his heroics (at first). At the same time, he still has to live in the world: he lives in an abandoned part of the city because the rent's cheap, he keeps track of grocery sales, and at one point, he's more concerned with giving a cashier exact change than he is with the giant monster that just flattened the entrance to the store. 

I'm probably not doing a great job explaining either of these aspects of the show, but trust me when I say that the show is not lacking. 

It’s all about how it comes off, and it comes off differently to each viewer. To me, it’s oh woe is me I’m too strong and nothing is enjoyable anymore. Whining about something that he himself did is, well something that I just find irritating. If you want to apply the supporting cast in to, then I find Overlord and Slime very hard to beat. Both shows have fantastic casts. Each has characters I flat out love. I’ll probably watch it eventually but it’s not high up on the priority list.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:22 AM, vanguard333 said:

Okay. 

I think you've explained it very well! The only thing I would add is this:

I can see how for some people it would seem uninteresting or like there's no character development possible when the protagonist can just beat everything, but I think that's totally not the point of the show. The show is about heroism. You see Saitama and he beats all the bad guys, so okay, he's the hero I guess? But he doesn't really care about what he's doing and you kind of wonder, is he a hero? But then he shows that he does care about people and has a sense of justice, and through becoming a mentor to Genos, he grows. As it goes on, you run into all those A and S class heroes who are jackasses, for whom "heroism" is a day job. They're in it for the limelight, and yet they still regularly do beat all the monsters. Heroes? No, I don't think so. Then there's Mumen Rider, C class hero who can't do much of anything, but as you said, that fight with the Deep Sea King demonstrates that he has the heart of hero. He has to try. He's willing to sacrifice himself. And right around that time is also when Saitama demonstrates that he is a hero. It has nothing to do with him defeating the Deep-Sea King or with his physical prowess at all. It's that when people are mocking the heroes that fought and failed, he's willing to make himself the bad guy. Up to that point, it feels like he too is in it for the glory or the respect, and clearly a good reputation is something he wants, but he throws it away completely in that moment so that the people who he thinks deserve recognition more than he does can get it. He takes up the mantle of a fraud for the sake of people he doesn't even really know, and that is heroic, because it's also self-sacrifice.

I haven't seen season 2 but I've read some of the manga and I really like how the story continues to evolve and the characters continue to grow. It's a cool show and I'm glad you also enjoy it 🙂

1 hour ago, Solvaij said:

I haven't seen season 2 but I've read some of the manga and I really like how the story continues to evolve and the characters continue to grow. It's a cool show and I'm glad you also enjoy it 🙂

Season 2 is good. Just, don't expect the same level of quality as season 1. The animation quality takes a noticeable dip, and it has a very rushed pacing compared to season 1, as if it's desperate to get from point A to point B. 

You're right about the show asking what it means to be a hero. Thanks. That makes three things. 

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Season 2 is good. Just, don't expect the same level of quality as season 1. The animation quality takes a noticeable dip, and it has a very rushed pacing compared to season 1, as if it's desperate to get from point A to point B. 

You're right about the show asking what it means to be a hero. Thanks. That makes three things. 

Well, I watched season 1 of One Punch, and well I was right on my thoughts overall  on the story. Was funnier then I thought thou. Outside of Mumin I really didn’t care much for the supporting cast.

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

14 minutes ago, ciphertul said:

Well, I watched season 1 of One Punch, and well I was right on my thoughts overall  on the story. Was funnier then I thought thou. Outside of Mumin I really didn’t care much for the supporting cast.

Or you could do what I’ve been doing and read the manga. Yusuke’s Murata’s art is just too fucking good