Is Hubert a bad influence on Edelgard?

I recently had an argument with a friend who also played through the game. Which is really about how Edelgard made a massive mistake in making an alliance with the Agarthans. Which of course was originally suggested by Hubert. Was he truly right that there was no other way? 

It seems to kind of be a fact that a lot of Hubert's decisions put Edelgard in a bad light in the eyes of others, is decisions are often pragmatic, but terrible when it comes to PR. So there is an argument to be made that Edelgard wouldn't look nearly as bad if it wasn't for Hubert or the Agarthans and would probably have an easier time gaining allies in the other kingdoms who are also sick of the crest system if her supposed it allies didn't just randomly massacre Remire village. Hubert is technically responsible for both her alliance with the Agarthans and their eventual destruction.

Do you think that Hubert is good or bad for Edelgard's cause?

If you're talking about "good" in the way of "Kind, helpful, uplifting for others" then no, but that applies to basically everyone in three houses. (Sothis bless Annette, Ashe and Mercedes.)

If you're talking about effective, yes. He is very effective in helping Edelgard get her way.

And hey, he makes good coffee. That counts for something, right?

That's a tricky one. 

Honestly, he was "correct" in having her join with the Agarthans. There's no way she would have risen to take the position of Emperor or get the other nobles to join with her in the first place. Without the Agarthans, providing military aid, weapons that they have given, and overall political support, Edelgard's war against the Church would have failed. 

However, the MISTAKE is giving them TOO much power and control. 

Consider how things were in Edelgard lending Thales the Death Knight. Because of that, Flayn's blood was taken, resulting in Monica being installed into the academy, then Remire village, and then the Crest Beast, which resulted in Jeralt's death.

If anything, it shows how if Edelgard has no one but the Agarthans to support her, Edelgard's war is far more drastic and worse as a result.

Consider how after you beat her in non-CF routes. Edelgard loses, and then says to give her Uncle the signal. That's the mark of Edelgard giving in to the Agarthans. And the war in the those routes are ALWAYS way worse. The Agarthans basically spread the chaos to get even worse.

It's why in CF, Edelgard opposes the Agarthans a lot more and keeps things under better control. The war is far less chaotic and bloody. 

-

However, Hubert is good in some ways, bad in other ways. Being entirely reliant on him is bad. Just like being entirely reliant on him is bad, cause his beliefs aren't always good. But relying on him at times is good. 

4 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

That's a tricky one. 

Honestly, he was "correct" in having her join with the Agarthans. There's no way she would have risen to take the position of Emperor or get the other nobles to join with her in the first place. Without the Agarthans, providing military aid, weapons that they have given, and overall political support, Edelgard's war against the Church would have failed. 

However, the MISTAKE is giving them TOO much power and control. 

Consider how things were in Edelgard lending Thales the Death Knight. Because of that, Flayn's blood was taken, resulting in Monica being installed into the academy, then Remire village, and then the Crest Beast, which resulted in Jeralt's death.

If anything, it shows how if Edelgard has no one but the Agarthans to support her, Edelgard's war is far more drastic and worse as a result.

Consider how after you beat her in non-CF routes. Edelgard loses, and then says to give her Uncle the signal. That's the mark of Edelgard giving in to the Agarthans. And the war in the those routes are ALWAYS way worse. The Agarthans basically spread the chaos to get even worse.

It's why in CF, Edelgard opposes the Agarthans a lot more and keeps things under better control. The war is far less chaotic and bloody. 

-

However, Hubert is good in some ways, bad in other ways. Being entirely reliant on him is bad. Just like being entirely reliant on him is bad, cause his beliefs aren't always good. But relying on him at times is good. 

Very well said, I don't actually personally believe that Edelgard's annoyance with the Agarthans was avoidable. I also don't hold her personally responsible for their actions as her clear disgust over their atrocities is enough for me to separate Edelgard entirely from atrocities such as Remire village. 

I kind of of two minds about Hubert, he generally tries his best to protect Edelgard and he is usually correct in his pragmatic reasoning, even if his suggestions are often morally questionable. The biggest drawback with his methods is that they often reflect poorly on Edelgard and I don't think he really considers this, I don't think Edelgard would be entirely pleased if if she finds out that he has been killing people. She declared to be spared behind her back. But Hubert is also instrumental in the downfall of the Agarthans so that granting major plus points, so does his genuine loyalty. At least I trust him to never do anything that he believes will harm Edelgard, if he harms others. At this because he thinks they are a threat to her and to him Edelgard is everything.

That being said, I am not surprised that Edelgard doesn't feel the same way about him as he does for her, Hubert is really unable to be the emotional pillar Byleth is for her, so the sad thing is that Hubert is kind of unable to be what Edelgard seeks in a partner

27 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Very well said, I don't actually personally believe that Edelgard's annoyance with the Agarthans was avoidable. I also don't hold her personally responsible for their actions as her clear disgust over their atrocities is enough for me to separate Edelgard entirely from atrocities such as Remire village. 

I kind of of two minds about Hubert, he generally tries his best to protect Edelgard and he is usually correct in his pragmatic reasoning, even if his suggestions are often morally questionable. The biggest drawback with his methods is that they often reflect poorly on Edelgard and I don't think he really considers this, I don't think Edelgard would be entirely pleased if if she finds out that he has been killing people. She declared to be spared behind her back. But Hubert is also instrumental in the downfall of the Agarthans so that granting major plus points, so does his genuine loyalty. At least I trust him to never do anything that he believes will harm Edelgard, if he harms others. At this because he thinks they are a threat to her and to him Edelgard is everything.

That being said, I am not surprised that Edelgard doesn't feel the same way about him as he does for her, Hubert is really unable to be the emotional pillar Byleth is for her, so the sad thing is that Hubert is kind of unable to be what Edelgard seeks in a partner

That's the other thing. Hubert always tries to maintain the master-servant relationship with her, refusing to help Edelgard out emotionally, because he feels that he is nothing more than a servant. This is why Edelgard doesn't really work well with trying to help someone emotionally. People refer to her as a bitch post Jeralt, but frankly, she's being straight, and also has the problem of mistranslations.

There's a reason why Byleth is so special to Edelgard. Because unlike others, who see her the emperor or is aware of her status, Byleth has none of that. Byleth doesn't see her as anything more than just Edelgard. 

18 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

That's the other thing. Hubert always tries to maintain the master-servant relationship with her, refusing to help Edelgard out emotionally, because he feels that he is nothing more than a servant. This is why Edelgard doesn't really work well with trying to help someone emotionally. People refer to her as a bitch post Jeralt, but frankly, she's being straight, and also has the problem of mistranslations.

There's a reason why Byleth is so special to Edelgard. Because unlike others, who see her the emperor or is aware of her status, Byleth has none of that. Byleth doesn't see her as anything more than just Edelgard. 

My mind Edelgard was just being harsh, but honest, nothing would be solved by just sitting in their room moping, she is basically asking them if they want to just sit in their room for the rest of eternity or actually go out there and do something about it. By tracking down their father's killers. If I understood things correctly, it does seem implied that Edelgard leaked the location of the assassin to Byleth specifically because she felt it would help with their grieving process. You said there was a problem with mistranslations here? What does those consist of?

I also love the relationship between Byleth and Edelgard, it is so sweet and honestly, it probably plays a role of why I have such high opinions on Edelgard. Their supports really put her in a good light as a sweet and caring individual at heart. 

I’ve always wondered what would happen if Ferdinand was her retainer instead of Hubert. Ferdinand believes that if he disagrees, he should bring it up to his superior. In his A support, he tells Edelgard that if she demolishes the Church, she would have to replace it with something like public education. If he knew who she was working with, he would probably challenge her, s encouraging her to find another way.

1 hour ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

My mind Edelgard was just being harsh, but honest, nothing would be solved by just sitting in their room moping, she is basically asking them if they want to just sit in their room for the rest of eternity or actually go out there and do something about it. By tracking down their father's killers. If I understood things correctly, it does seem implied that Edelgard leaked the location of the assassin to Byleth specifically because she felt it would help with their grieving process. You said there was a problem with mistranslations here? What does those consist of?

I also love the relationship between Byleth and Edelgard, it is so sweet and honestly, it probably plays a role of why I have such high opinions on Edelgard. Their supports really put her in a good light as a sweet and caring individual at heart. 

Too many to count. Not just of her though. Characters that talk or are involved with her. Like, there was a reddit thread that expressed how the Abyss characters actually sounded a lot meaner in regards to Edelgard's route or such, but they aren't like that in the JP dialogue. 

Or how there's this one point in AM where Ferdinand insults Edelgard, but that's another mistranslation, and he's actually praising her. It genuinely feels as if Tree House had it out for her. Hell, they try and make Edelgard's S support be seen as more platonic, despite the entire story indicating that it's romantic.

Just now, ZeManaphy said:

I’ve always wondered what would happen if Ferdinand was her retainer instead of Hubert. Ferdinand believes that if he disagrees, he should bring it up to his superior. In his A support, he tells Edelgard that if she demolishes the Church, she would have to replace it with something like public education. If he knew who she was working with, he would probably challenge her, s encouraging her to find another way.

Yeah. Hubert and Ferdinand are opposites. Both sides have their own merits. Sometimes you can't face a challenge head on as you'd like to believe. Sometimes you have to play dirty. Ferdinand is the straight man that is honest and forward about things. Hubert is the shady guy that deals with the underbelly of things and is willing to get his hands dirty. 

It's basically the entire case of morality or the argument about the end justify the mean or not. 

Thing is, both sides ALWAYS have reasons and merit behind it. Sometimes the end does justify the means, and other times, it doesn't. 

Light and darkness. They balance one another.

26 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Too many to count. Not just of her though. Characters that talk or are involved with her. Like, there was a reddit thread that expressed how the Abyss characters actually sounded a lot meaner in regards to Edelgard's route or such, but they aren't like that in the JP dialogue. 

Or how there's this one point in AM where Ferdinand insults Edelgard, but that's another mistranslation, and he's actually praising her. It genuinely feels as if Tree House had it out for her. Hell, they try and make Edelgard's S support be seen as more platonic, despite the entire story indicating that it's romantic.

Yeah. Hubert and Ferdinand are opposites. Both sides have their own merits. Sometimes you can't face a challenge head on as you'd like to believe. Sometimes you have to play dirty. Ferdinand is the straight man that is honest and forward about things. Hubert is the shady guy that deals with the underbelly of things and is willing to get his hands dirty. 

It's basically the entire case of morality or the argument about the end justify the mean or not. 

Thing is, both sides ALWAYS have reasons and merit behind it. Sometimes the end does justify the means, and other times, it doesn't. 

Light and darkness. They balance one another.

It seems fairly romantic to me, even as is, I mean they are getting married, that is pretty clearly stated so I have trouble seeing how that would be platonic. 

I am honestly not convinced that there really is another way but allying with the Agarthans, if nothing else, just keep them off your back for a long enough for you to deal with them when you can. I am not sure how Edelgard would deal with them without Hubert, I don't think you could win against the Agarthans by just being morally righteous. If Ferdinand was her advisor and she decided against allying with the Agarthans, I don't think she had the means to truly beat them at that point, and maybe wouldn't allow her to truly gain control of the Empire, I do believe that path leads to death. 

At least Edelgard hates the idea of working with them as much as Ferdinand, I don't think anyone involved truly likes it. I have considered that Edelgard might have made allies elsewhere more easily without the Agarthans, but they are extremely dangerous and I think that path might end with the Imperial capital becoming another valley of torment

Yes and no.

Yes, because Hubert's willing to do damn near anything to achieve his goals.  And no, because Edelgard needs some sort of support, and he will always be there for her.

7 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

It seems fairly romantic to me, even as is, I mean they are getting married, that is pretty clearly stated so I have trouble seeing how that would be platonic. 

I am honestly not convinced that there really is another way but allying with the Agarthans, if nothing else, just keep them off your back for a long enough for you to deal with them when you can. I am not sure how Edelgard would deal with them without Hubert, I don't think you could win against the Agarthans by just being morally righteous. If Ferdinand was her advisor and she decided against allying with the Agarthans, I don't think she had the means to truly beat them at that point, and maybe wouldn't allow her to truly gain control of the Empire, I do believe that path leads to death. 

At least Edelgard hates the idea of working with them as much as Ferdinand, I don't think anyone involved truly likes it. I have considered that Edelgard might have made allies elsewhere more easily without the Agarthans, but they are extremely dangerous and I think that path might end with the Imperial capital becoming another valley of torment

Yeah, but Edelgard calling Byleth her dearest "friend" was just so bad. You really feel as if Tree House has something against her. 

There isn't. It's because of the pragmatic sense that Hubert had that Edelgard was able to even ascend to the throne. The Insurrection of the Seven is a serious issue that resulted in the Empire falling under the control of the Agarthans. But people really don't comprehend that because it's such an obscure piece of information that is hidden behind Hubert's support and a library book.

Even Hubert hates the idea of working with them. He wants nothing more than to slit each and every last one of their throats with a rusty fork.

18 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

The Insurrection of the Seven is a serious issue that resulted in the Empire falling under the control of the Agarthans. But people really don't comprehend that because it's such an obscure piece of information that is hidden behind Hubert's support and a library book.

Its a shame we get so little info about the insurrection compared to Duscur despite it probably being even more traumatic. Dimitri might have seen his family slaughtered but Edelgard saw them slowly tortured to death or insanity. It also involves the families of many characters who are close to Edelgard while the only characters really involved in Duscur are Cornelia who barely interacts with Dimitri and Kleiman who doesn't even appear in the game. In fact when we do meet the mastermind of the insurection he's almost casually defeated by Edelgard before getting killed by random bandits. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Its a shame we get so little info about the insurrection compared to Duscur despite it probably being even more traumatic. Dimitri might have seen his family slaughtered but Edelgard saw them slowly tortured to death or insanity. It also involves the families of many characters who are close to Edelgard while the only characters really involved in Duscur are Cornelia who barely interacts with Dimitri and Kleiman who doesn't even appear in the game. In fact when we do meet the mastermind of the insurection he's almost casually defeated by Edelgard before getting killed by random bandits. 

Seriously. People keep bringing the Tragedy of Duscur, constantly making it be in your face, whereas the Insurrection is so obscure that people forget it's even a thing.

It's true that Edelgard's public image is sometimes worsened by following Hubert's advice, but his advice itself isn't (not even once IIRC) mistaken or without merit,  not to mention that it is, ultimately, Edelgard's decision to follow it or not. Hubert's loyalty to Edelgard means that for him, moral goodness is the same thing exactly as achieving Edelgard's goals while protecting her life. He is at least a little concerned with public image as well - he is the first to recommend that Edelgard hide the truth about the destruction of Arianrhod in CF, for example, and although that's a nasty thing to do it was the best course of action in that moment. 

However, Edelgard is at least a little more openly passionate, less pragmatic, and more principled than Hubert (not a good or bad thing necessarily, but it does make her more relatable) and the fact that Hubert makes Edelgard compromise or walk back those principles in the name of practicalities is what makes him morally grey but also an effective advisor. He definitely isn't a bad influence on Edelgard - if anything, he sees her goals sometimes more clearly than she herself does. But I'm quite a big fan of Hubert the character anyway (he's my favourite retainer at least), so I'm pretty biased lol.

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yeah, but Edelgard calling Byleth her dearest "friend" was just so bad. You really feel as if Tree House has something against her. 

There isn't. It's because of the pragmatic sense that Hubert had that Edelgard was able to even ascend to the throne. The Insurrection of the Seven is a serious issue that resulted in the Empire falling under the control of the Agarthans. But people really don't comprehend that because it's such an obscure piece of information that is hidden behind Hubert's support and a library book.

Even Hubert hates the idea of working with them. He wants nothing more than to slit each and every last one of their throats with a rusty fork.

The dearest friend thing reminds me of that she said the same thing to Dimitri after their attempt at diplomacy, but it is implied that they used to be more than that, similar translation error?No, I don't personally have any problems with Dimitri and Edelgard being romantically involved, despite being stepsiblings, they are not biologically related at all and they didn't even grow up together for the most part, which is the real reason it is usually taboo. 

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

It is kind of annoying how little it is referenced being such an important event to the story, and especially Edelgard as a character. A major reason why I usually tell people to read the library books, the do include quite a lot of important information that aren't necessarily directly addressed. Also, wasn't Thales, the mastermind behind the insurrection?

1 minute ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

The dearest friend thing reminds me of that she said the same thing to Dimitri after their attempt at diplomacy, but it is implied that they used to be more than that, similar translation error?No, I don't personally have any problems with Dimitri and Edelgard being romantically involved, despite being stepsiblings, they are not biologically related at all and they didn't even grow up together for the most part, which is the real reason it is usually taboo. 

She DOES confess that Dimitri was her first love in the Goddess Tower event, but doesn't remember the name. People get some confusion cause it sounds like she knows the name, but is withholding it on purpose. But she genuinely can't remember. 

But it's also the case of how Dimitri sees her as a sister too. Plus, after Fates, we're done with the stepsibling incest thing.

6 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

It is kind of annoying how little it is referenced being such an important event to the story, and especially Edelgard as a character. A major reason why I usually tell people to read the library books, the do include quite a lot of important information that aren't necessarily directly addressed. Also, wasn't Thales, the mastermind behind the insurrection?

No, the Insurrection was already happening and it was due to corrupt nobles led by Duke Aegir, Ferdinand's father, that opposed Ionius. Thales took advantage of that. 

16 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

Also, wasn't Thales, the mastermind behind the insurrection?

Its a bit unclear. But no matter what role the Slitherers played behind the scene the role of Aegir is still very relevant. He's always named as the leading member of the conspiracy even by Edelgard who's aware of Arundel, and it seems it was Aegir, not Thales who corrupted Hubert's dad. 

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

She DOES confess that Dimitri was her first love in the Goddess Tower event, but doesn't remember the name. People get some confusion cause it sounds like she knows the name, but is withholding it on purpose. But she genuinely can't remember. 

But it's also the case of how Dimitri sees her as a sister too. Plus, after Fates, we're done with the stepsibling incest thing.

No, the Insurrection was already happening and it was due to corrupt nobles led by Duke Aegir, Ferdinand's father, that opposed Ionius. Thales took advantage of that. 

I think Edelgard's memory is a bit fussy because what happened to her, she remembers the event with the dagger and the boy, but she has no recollection of that boy being Dimitri. She realises that fact fairly late in both Blue Lions and Crimson Flower. After Dimitri shows her the dagger or after Dimitri's death. I did not even play fates, you are entitled to your opinion but I think Dimitri and Edelgard would be fine for the reasons I previously stated. But I do prefer Edelgard and Byleth.

I guess I might have mixed up with who was primarily responsible for the experiments, which I think was mainly the leader of the Agarthans even if the nobles find the insurrection were also involved

23 minutes ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

I think Edelgard's memory is a bit fussy because what happened to her, she remembers the event with the dagger and the boy, but she has no recollection of that boy being Dimitri. She realises that fact fairly late in both Blue Lions and Crimson Flower. After Dimitri shows her the dagger or after Dimitri's death. I did not even play fates, you are entitled to your opinion but I think Dimitri and Edelgard would be fine for the reasons I previously stated. But I do prefer Edelgard and Byleth.

I guess I might have mixed up with who was primarily responsible for the experiments, which I think was mainly the leader of the Agarthans even if the nobles find the insurrection were also involved

Oh, that's 100% the case. It's completely realistic for someone being locked in a dark dungeon and then being experimented on in a horrendous manner would suffer memory issues. 

Personally, my personal preference is Claude and Edelgard. Like, those two flirt in the middle of the battlefield. I would headcanon that they'd have banged at least once or twice off screen, during both Part 1 and Part 2. 

I mean, when Byleth asks who is responsible for the experiments, she states, "the prime minister and his gaggle of nobles," so it's clear that Aegir is a major reason. 

It's kind of depressing, when you think about it. Apart from Dorothea and Petra, Edelgard is literally surrounded by classmates, whose respective fathers were the reason her father was overthrown, and her and her siblings viciously tortured for Crest experiments.

22 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Oh, that's 100% the case. It's completely realistic for someone being locked in a dark dungeon and then being experimented on in a horrendous manner would suffer memory issues. 

Personally, my personal preference is Claude and Edelgard. Like, those two flirt in the middle of the battlefield. I would headcanon that they'd have banged at least once or twice off screen, during both Part 1 and Part 2. 

I mean, when Byleth asks who is responsible for the experiments, she states, "the prime minister and his gaggle of nobles," so it's clear that Aegir is a major reason. 

It's kind of depressing, when you think about it. Apart from Dorothea and Petra, Edelgard is literally surrounded by classmates, whose respective fathers were the reason her father was overthrown, and her and her siblings viciously tortured for Crest experiments.

If only Constance was there too, her house, Nuvelle was the only imerail noble house who was against it from the get go, and stood by that, and this is why they were left for dead in that Dagda-Brigede invasion Edelgard needed more people like Mercedes and Constance in her life, I wonder if "Papa" Bartles gave the a headstart when the left, so the could not help either House Nuvelle or Edelgad

Edited by darkblade2814

This is a good question. At first, I felt like Hubert was trying to pull Edelgard's strings, but I've come to feel like it was Edelgard pulling Hubert's strings. Hubert devoted himself to her service, and did what he needed to help her achieve her goals. In that sense, I think Edelgard was the one who had influence on Hubert.

Hubert was the one who wrote the letter pointing out the Agarthans, doing so in secret. If he had enough pull on Edelgard, I don't think he would do that. I felt like that was supposed to redeem him somewhat, not entirely, but enough to make him a tragic character instead of a villain (in SS route).

2 hours ago, anikom15 said:

Hubert was the one who wrote the letter pointing out the Agarthans, doing so in secret. If he had enough pull on Edelgard, I don't think he would do that. I felt like that was supposed to redeem him somewhat, not entirely, but enough to make him a tragic character instead of a villain (in SS route)

He does it in GD as well, and while I haven't played SS, I'd bet that his reasoning is the same in both routes - he hates TWSITD more than he opposes Byleth/the church (Edelgard definitely feels the same way in GD, although it could be more complicated in SS given Byleth betrays Edelgard). And because Hubert also knows Edelgard's world vision and principles are tempered by her compassion for the people she leads, and because with the death of Edelgard his interests no longer align with TWSITD, he does everything he can to ensure that TWSITD are foiled and don't cause more loss of life with the javelins of light. So in that case, even in death Hubert is a loyal and pragmatic subject, carrying out what would be her wishes from beyond the grave.

8 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

I get you, I really like how respectful Claude and Edelgard are towards each other, Claude even wishing Edelgard good luck in Crimson Flower upon his defeat. I can see shipping the two of them. 

And yes, I think the fact that Edelgard doesn't hold the actions of their parents against any of the members of the Black Eagles really shows that she means what she says about that personal merit is more important than bloodline. None of these people have personally wronged her, which is more important to her than what their fathers did. Edelgard really isn't the type to hold a grudge, she seems to show no resentment towards Ferdinand, even if his father was the ringleader of the insurrection, responsible for her going through so much suffering.

1 hour ago, haarhaarhaar said:

He does it in GD as well, and while I haven't played SS, I'd bet that his reasoning is the same in both routes - he hates TWSITD more than he opposes Byleth/the church (Edelgard definitely feels the same way in GD, although it could be more complicated in SS given Byleth betrays Edelgard). And because Hubert also knows Edelgard's world vision and principles are tempered by her compassion for the people she leads, and because with the death of Edelgard his interests no longer align with TWSITD, he does everything he can to ensure that TWSITD are foiled and don't cause more loss of life with the javelins of light. So in that case, even in death Hubert is a loyal and pragmatic subject, carrying out what would be her wishes from beyond the grave.

The way I see it, I think what Edelgard would want in the event of her death is the downfall of the Agarthans, Hubert was very much carrying out what I think she would want. I think the difference is that Edelgard never really planned for what she would do in case of defeat as she wouldn't let that happen by any means she could, Hubert, and being practically minded probably considered the possibility for quite a while and plan for it. As you say, carrying out Edelgard's wishes beyond the grave. I find it poetic that the both of them are responsible for leaking information that needs to the downfall of the Agarthans in two of four timelines. 

In this very same route. It is shown that Edelgard is willing to die to prevent further loss of life, part of the reason I am never able to see her as a villain, regardless of route, Edelgard is always surprisingly noble, especially for someone who surrounds herself with such questionable allies.