New to the Tellius Games. What Difficulty Should I Play?

Holla99

I just got POR for the first time and will be getting RD afterwards to play. I will likely take advantage of the data transfers as well.

Throughout the series I’ve found that I‘m usually a normal/classic difficulty player. I have done hard on the odd occasion but usually don’t enjoy it that much.

Knowing this and that the difficulty options in the  localization of the Tellius games are a bit wonky I want to make sure I have a good plan going forward.

Since POR normal is actually normal and easy was added for localization for this one I believe I should probably play it on normal. In RD easy is actually normal for the localization plus I’ve heard it’s considered to be a harder game, so in this case I should probably play RD on easy.

Does this sound about right?

TLDR: I’m new to the Tellius games, I enjoy most FE games on normal/classic difficulty. I plan on playing POR on normal and RD on easy. Does this sound reasonable?

Edited by Holla99

If it's your first time going through the game(s), those difficulties are absolutely reasonable. Play what's comfortable for you.

Once you get accustomed to both of them, you could try playing them on harder difficulties in future playthroughs if you want an extra challenge from what you're used to sometime.

Seems like you already did your research. Great.
And yeah, your plan sounds like a good way too approach this.

But I would like to add that Radiant Dawn's reputation for difficulty is probably not only because of the mislabeling of the difficulty levels but also because Micaiah is just so very frail. If you can deal with that issue, I don't think there is anything particularly unusual about the difficulty.

Edited by BrightBow

Normal is a good difficulty, specially if you usually like Normal/Classic in the latest games. PoR Hard is also not as severe a jump in difficulty as some recent FEs on their hardest modes since the JP-only Maniac mode played that role. I would give it a try on a future file if you're up for more PoR, maybe with a themed run.

Also, since you want to do data transfers and don't have a copy of RD yet, you may end up with a first run copy which has the glitch where you can't transfer PoR Easy mode files (I call it the "Muarim is Ike's sister" version due to this error, which was how I could tell I had a 1st run copy). To not waste an Easy run that you cannot transfer later, go with Normal.

RD was my third FE game after I ROFLstomped Sacred stones and Blazing Eliwood normal, and I failed miserably on normal at the beginning but eventually settled in at about ch. 7-8 of part 1; part 2 was a bit tough at parts too, although I managed to (barely) beat 2-endgame without any deaths or resets. Part 3 onwards is very easy IMO with a few exceptions. (3-6, 4-3 were tough, and I've heard people say that 3-13 is hard also, although I beat it on turn 3)

I am, of course, terrible at strategy games, but I'd say that normal would be fine for anyone who's played a few FE games and is willing to have a bit of patience/has skill.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was the title that introduced me to the Fire Emblem series and it is one of my favorite games of all time.  Even as an expert in strategy genre I started on Normal difficulty setting. I wanted to learn what the series is all about and not just jump into it. FE:PoR is not a hard game if you are familiar with the other titles or with the genre in general, especially on Normal. My advice is to experience the game for the first time on Normal, you will learn the mechanics, get to know the characters and learn what to expect if you one day try the Hard difficulty which I would advise. I beat the game dozen of times and at least five times on Hard without restarting the chapter when one of mine characters died, even if they were important for the upcoming battles and still managed to beat it. Anyway, Normal is just fine and you will enjoy the game a lot on Normal difficulty while still have a decent challenge.

Unfortunately I have not played Radiant Dawn.

Hard Mode Path of Radiance definitely isn't all that hard if you're familiar with the rest of the series and unless your entire team is massively screwed, you shouldn't be having a hard time at all, and managing ressources is not something that usually bites you later on, so Hard Mode PoR isn't out of the question, but if you're still not sure you wanna go for it and risk getting stumped Normal Mode is still a decent option.

Haven't played Radiant Dawn but from what I've seen Normal Mode there seems about on par, if not slightly harder than PoR Hard, so I would advise that but since I don't have much experience with the game itself I can't say for sure.

I still struggle with normal mode Radiant Dawn (even after the sheer amount of times I've beaten the game). Parts 1 and 2 were difficult, but it eased up in part 3 cause the greil mercs are kinda broken (except Ike's low res stat). I'd definitely do Radiant Dawn on easy mode since its already one of the hardest games in the franchise.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will start POR on Normal mode and then RD afterwards on Easy mode.

I’m just waiting for my controller to arrive (I’m playing POR on a Wii as I never had a GC growing up. I have a Memory Card, just need a controller). I am excited to finally experience these games!

I will say it's totally possible to play it as Hard/Normal, because PoR Hard is one of if not the easiest in the series and while Normal is certainly trickier, RD has in map saves.

That being said I can get your choices.

On 4/22/2020 at 12:50 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Have fun! And yes, Radiant Dawn is a lot harder than Path of Radiance, especially in part 1, so I'd say you made a good call. By the way, which other FEs have you played?

I have played all FEs other than 1-5 and the Tellius games of course. I just recently played all the GBA games for the first time and I really enjoyed them.