How would the other Tokyo Mirage Sessions characters work?

Jotari

Tokyo Mirage Sessions characters were on the most recent choose your legends poll. It wasn't just the playable cast though, it was also the bosses. Which if you've played Tokyo Mirage Sessions you might find a bit weird. This is a typical Tokyo Mirage Sessions boss.

So for some lore explanation, units in this game are made up of two characters, a human and a mirage. Itsuki is the human, Chrom, that ghosty thing hanging around him that looks nothing like Chrom is his mirage. The Choose Your Legends poll was true to this by framing all of it's Tokyo Mirage Sessions characters as _____ & _____. Problem is for the bosses it's not the human that's fighting. Sometimes there's a plot reason for this but mostly it's because they want big intimidating bosses. So, like, how would they go about implementing these characters, that are theoretically possible, into Heroes? Most of the humans in this situation are not geared up for fighting. They don't get the fancy weapons or outfits or anything. They just basically appear for a cut scene and then vanish after the fight. It's altogether completely different from the playable cast. I think the only solution would be to make them breath characters who summon the mirages to attack like Grima, but even that I find a bit odd as most of them do absolutely noting similar to breath weapons. The other option would be to just ditch the humans attached and make the bosses themselves the playable characters fitting into their respective weapon categories (though I don't know what category spinning spiked head of doom fits into. Tokyo Mirage Sessions thinks it's a sword...I could see dagger maybe working better). If that is the route they go then that opens the door to include the mirages that are already in the game as separate units. Honestly part of the reason I think the bosses were even on the Choose Your Legends poll was to bulk up the number of Tokyo Mirage Sessions options so it wasn't just half a dozen characters.

While we're at it there's two playable characters left from the playable cast of Tokyo Mirage Sessions that would fit neatly into Heroes. Be a bit weird if they didn't include them when the other playable characters are here. Problem is you can't really make a banner out of just two characters. Maybe they'd include yet another Tiki alt alongside them in a Banner? Or perhaps two once of Grand Hero Battles? Or a banner mixed in with the boss characters if they do decide to tackle this oddity. Do you think we'll be seeing them any time soon? Coincidentally they're both the non protagonist male characters. And by coincidentally I mean that's not a coincidence at all because Heroes thinks boys don't sell.

Edited by Jotari

They did do a two person banner before with Surtr and Ylgr, but I do think they would atleast have Tiki there aswell, maybe even Maiko and Barry (they got Mirages in Encore?). They might even do something dumb like Duo Itsuki and Tsubasa or Duo Tsubasa and Kiria.

The bosses are interesting. They could go the breath route and give them effects like: ignore effective against Dragons and attack targets the defense stat. Or they could revamp them, and make them work similarly to the existing TMS characters, and even give some redesigns since a couple of those bosses were reskins of each other.

57 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

They did do a two person banner before with Surtr and Ylgr, but I do think they would atleast have Tiki there aswell, maybe even Maiko and Barry (they got Mirages in Encore?). They might even do something dumb like Duo Itsuki and Tsubasa or Duo Tsubasa and Kiria.

You know I was wondering exactly that and googled a list of miriages before posting but didn't see anything about it on the wiki. Barry at least shared Mamori's Mirage, but the issue of proper battle artwork just not existing is kind of a thing. I guess they could just give them weapons in their civilian cloths and call it a day.

57 minutes ago, LoneStar said:

The bosses are interesting. They could go the breath route and give them effects like: ignore effective against Dragons and attack targets the defense stat. Or they could revamp them, and make them work similarly to the existing TMS characters, and even give some redesigns since a couple of those bosses were reskins of each other.

I'm like 80% sure the CYL polls only included the main chapter bosses who are all pretty distinct from each other. Medeus is also the final boss who could potentionally be on a banner and would work as a breath unit, but unfortunately he doesn't have any human attached to him that I can recall so we'd be summoning a big honking dragon who doesn't transform at all. Hmm, I guess they could just use his ordinary Fire Emblem series design, which is probably what they'll do if they ever add his dark dragon incarnation.

Edited by Jotari

I want a Dancer/Singer who can Dance/Sing another Dancer/Singer.

I think they could just skip the human. All the TMS unit sprites so far leave out the Mirages, only including them in the artwork, so I think it is possible for them to release the Mirages but skip the human.

If they include a human, I think they just can put the human in the sprite but with less emphasis on the human, kind of like what they did with Yune for BE!Micaiah and Rinea for DW!Berkut.

13 minutes ago, XRay said:

I think they could just skip the human. All the TMS unit sprites so far leave out the Mirages, only including them in the artwork, so I think it is possible for them to release the Mirages but skip the human.

Sprites for the Mirages show up during Special animations in battle.  For some reason, this isn't shown in the archives, so you'll only ever see those sprites if you have battle animations on, but they are there.

Barry and Maiko do perform session attacks in encore, so they could get in like that, even without a mirage.

As for Yashiro and Touma, having played the game since the TMS cast was released in heroes, I’m a little miffed that they weren’t included. It would have been especially interesting to see how Yashiro’s counter gimmick made it into heroes.

2 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Barry and Maiko do perform session attacks in encore, so they could get in like that, even without a mirage.

As for Yashiro and Touma, having played the game since the TMS cast was released in heroes, I’m a little miffed that they weren’t included. It would have been especially interesting to see how Yashiro’s counter gimmick made it into heroes.

Yashiro at least stands a good chance of getting in as a random grand hero battle (though if he does his counter probably won't be all that great a gimmick and might just be a fierce stance weapon) given he's an enemy in game, Touma, not quite as likely (still possible of course, because this Heroes, where all attempts to divine trends are laughed at). Though if Yashiro does get in they'd have to include Touma some how eventually. Two is a bit weird to not include but one would be just plain unfair.

2 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Ah, that explains the talk of new characters yet the complete absence of any info on them. Have a link to any footage of the attacks? Do they use weapons (if not, maybe Barry as buffoonish Gauntlet user when they eventually add that weapon type)?

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Ah, that explains the talk of new characters yet the complete absence of any info on them. Have a link to any footage of the attacks? Do they use weapons (if not, maybe Barry as buffoonish Gauntlet user when they eventually add that weapon type)?

This was the closest I could find.

Tl;dr: Barry uses an axe, and Maiko (the blue haired Azura looking one, because that confused me so much when I first saw it) uses... swords, I think?

Just give the humans an Heroes original design and weapon, and make the actual bosses appear during combat the same as the protagonists'.

After all it's not like Heroes is new to making stuff up. Just look at the legendary and brave heroes from Awakening. Look at the completely made-up legendary Azura and  Kid Azura.

At least as far as Nobu goes I don't think there'd be an issue implementing him since he had that special hell camera so they could just use that as weapon. Probably categorized as a tome if I had to guess. But yeah for other bosses heroes would have to come up with original weapons for them.

As for the banner there's exactly enough for the usual 4 banner units + 1 freebie even without needing to include any of the bosses. Maiko, Tiki, Touma, Barry, and Yashiro. Sure Maiko and Barry technically don't have mirages but they should still be able to fight without them. If they really wanted to, heroes could easily make up mirages for them since Maiko's carnage form is clearly based on Azura so those two can pair up and Barry's is clearly based on a dog so I assume Flannel would most likely be his partner mirage.