Special Heroes: The Start of It All

NSSKG151

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I like the FE1 aesthetic, the theme is spoiled for me by the fact that they're children.  What's the point if, like @eclipse mentioned, they're still uttering the same lines they're remembered for in their adult forms?  Or as multiple folks have pointed out, why is Minerva still riding a Wyvern?  I wasn't a fan of non-canon child Azura either, but at least they took the opportunity to do something different with and ultimately flesh out her character.  This appears to just be the same Marth, Caeda, Merric, and Whitewings we knew and loved from before...except smaller.  I cannot begin to imagine the thought process down at IS that led to this banner being made.     

9 hours ago, Icelerate said:

What about Nolan with Edward and Leonardo? 

You could I guess because low popularity for each of them individually, but each does have a unique weapon that'd be nice to have on their own.

FE is not lacking for potential trinities. By the time this game is dead I'd estimate the number of dutrio units to be countable on two hands, four at the very most. Therefore, most possibilities would have to be crossed out. But there are fertile grounds to envision what could be.

Alas, the game I can envision not doing anything super zany with them either, like a combination attack of: Eliwood on horseback charging in sweeping the enemy horizontally with Durandal, Hector uses the enemy's loss of footing to propel them into the air with a vertical Armads swing, and Lyn comes leaping in the air with a precision Sol Katti strike that brings the enemy back down to earth. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

This banner makes my +10 Ceada with dragonflowers sad as well as my future Marth, Merric, and Palla  . Effectiveness to conventional weapons and armors? I remember that days where poison dart couldn't be improved because it was overpowered if buffed. I'm going to be skipping this banner just in case for more ridiculous down the line.

7 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Do we even know if Special Hero banners count for the guaranteed summon? This is a Special Heroes banner after all.

2 hours ago, Endriu said:

Guarantued summons also apply to special heroes banners? I thought they said new heroes banners. Hmm...

1 hour ago, TheNiddo said:

Special Heroes, not New Heroes. Therefor, no guaranteed summon. 

Aw... I guess I will just stick with summoning TSOIA!Palla then.

Special Spiral is a must on units who can have access to powerful specials, such as a high Def unit with Bonfire, or who have reliable access to AoE specials; Null C-Disrupt is necessary on an enemy-phase unit who will commonly be facing foes with Firesweep or Dazzling weapons and skills. Caeda, if you ask me, does not fit either criteria.

While Firesweep Axes are too rare and new to be considered a reliable factor, if you ask me there are currently not enough units in the game right now who can both take advantage of a Firesweep weapon AND don't already have a powerful Prf to back them up (Roderick, in this case, is a dirty cheater who simply has a Firesweep Lance prf). Tier 20-21 might just be different from lower tiers, but I don't see any units with Firesweep weapons at all. Lastly, she has to worry about Staff units with Dazzling weapons, which would normally be a viable worry, but her primary intended targets are Swords, Lances, Axes, and Bows (also armors). Say what you want, I'm not counting Staff units as one of her worries.

Consistency is key, and not being very good at killing 40% of the cast without anything in return is detrimental as a Counter-Vantage unit. Overlapping fields of fire is very common, and I do not see TSOIA!Caeda surviving that with Blazing mages and Firesweep nukes running around. A Counter-Vantage Blade mage just has to worry about Panic Manors, Blazing mages, and Firersweepers, and that is already a lot to juggle. TSOIA!Caeda has to worry about Blazing mages and Firesweepers too, and while she is less affected by Panic Manor, she has a lot more enemies to worry about as her Atk would not be high against everyone, as the latest dragons can be fast and bulky and Firesweep-Drag Back cavalry also appear with some frequency.

The primary benefit of a Counter-Vantage unit is that once you take out a few key structures or units, it becomes really easy to take out the rest of the enemy team. I just do not see TSOIA!Caeda being a good Counter-Vantage unit since she has extra hoops to jump through.

Kronya can get away with shitty Atk because she can tank a hit, AND go against Firesweepers, AND hit a key enemy in the backline due to being a ranged unit. TSOIA!Caeda offers better mobility, which is not super important, and that is about it. Sacrificing 40% coverage for that is not a good trade.

Edited by XRay

Marth being the demote is strange, but I'm happy for it. Its cool that he has Phina's prf & his special lets him easily function as a discount Larcei / Ayra / legendary Marth. Vantage on his prf + two turn cooldown special will make him fun to build with skills like Special Spiral or Null C-Disrupt, though he can probably get away with running something else like Wo Dao or slaying edge. He's my favorite lord, so effectively getting him for free will be nice.

Caeda's prf makes his weapon look like a complete joke though. I don't think the effective against everything is really too broken considering Astra Blade basically has a similar effect, but the way Vantage works on this weapon will make it really annoying for less bulky units to deal with. Though it should be manageable by poking her with firesweep weapons or Mages. Her art is cute, but looks a bit too similar to the base version imo.

Can't say much for Merric, other than his weapon basically being a powercrept Creator Sword, which is kind of crazy. I also like his outfit & hairstyle referencing bad fe1 art lol.

The whitewing trio as one unit is a tempting pull. Catria is one of my favorites & Est isn't far behind. Not as big of a fan of Palla, but I still like her. Their weapon is pretty good, though an argument can be made its worse than the Whitewing's refined weapon under ideal conditions. Still, being a lance flier sort of kills their viability for me so I will probably not summon for them.

Minerva is so adorable, but someone about her expression makes her look like a shonen protagonist.That's all I can really say since we don't know anything about her.

9 hours ago, eclipse said:

Honestly. . .it's people poking fun at the unit.  No need to take it seriously~!

True. It's sometimes hard to tell if someone's joking on the internet or not. I just wasn't sure if some folks seriously thought this was a new kind of unit.

And yeah, I don't think there's a guaranteed 5 star focus summon after 40 pulls this time. I remember it saying this was for new heroes banners only, not special heroes or any other banner.

Seeing Marth's kit while expecting Merric to be the 4* Focus: I sleep

Seeing Marth's kit after seeing Merric's and realizing he has to be the 4* Focus: WOKE

Defs gonna try to get a Marth copy

The rest are QT but don't need any of them

Edited by Landmaster

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Consistency is key, and not being very good at killing 40% of the cast without anything in return is detrimental as a Counter-Vantage unit. Overlapping fields of fire is very common, and I do not see TSOIA!Caeda surviving that with Blazing mages and Firesweep nukes running around. A Counter-Vantage Blade mage just has to worry about Panic Manors, Blazing mages, and Firersweepers, and that is already a lot to juggle. TSOIA!Caeda has to worry about Blazing mages and Firesweepers too, and while she is less affected by Panic Manor, she has a lot more enemies to worry about as her Atk would not be high against everyone, as the latest dragons can be fast and bulky and Firesweep-Drag Back cavalry also appear with some frequency.

The primary benefit of a Counter-Vantage unit is that once you take out a few key structures or units, it becomes really easy to take out the rest of the enemy team. I just do not see TSOIA!Caeda being a good Counter-Vantage unit since she has extra hoops to jump through.

Kronya can get away with shitty Atk because she can tank a hit, AND go against Firesweepers, AND hit a key enemy in the backline due to being a ranged unit. TSOIA!Caeda offers better mobility, which is not super important, and that is about it. Sacrificing 40% coverage for that is not a good trade.

Exactly my thought on her. Caeda's Atk usually is on the lower side (even Thubasa has low base Atk). Her res is also going to be probably better than her def. Meaning the foes she is not effective against are going to be killing her in retaliation whether they are beasts or colored bow daggers/bows and considering how dangerous some tomes can get they might have not a problem killing her.

Marth on the other hand with something like Rapier, hero's blood, DC, Special Spiral, def smoke and Atk/Spd Brazen can kill almost everyone whether he has effective damage or not. 

Well I am happy Minerva is the TT since her and Navarre are my favorite SD characters and it means I can finally have a +10 Minerva, but dang it I wanted her on a Pegasus.  While these are all cute, I will pull green or blue on the free pull on the off chance of a free 5* and skip since duo!Hector is my pulling priority right now.  Do we know if this banner will be like the TMS and fallen banners where they are are added to the general pool after (I know the whitewings are out just like duo!Ephraim)? 

2 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Well I am happy Minerva is the TT since her and Navarre are my favorite SD characters and it means I can finally have a +10 Minerva, but dang it I wanted her on a Pegasus.  While these are all cute, I will pull green or blue on the free pull on the off chance of a free 5* and skip since duo!Hector is my pulling priority right now.  Do we know if this banner will be like the TMS and fallen banners where they are are added to the general pool after (I know the whitewings are out just like duo!Ephraim)? 

No, those were New Heroes banners. This is a Special Heroes banner, just like seasonals. 

On 4/17/2020 at 8:49 AM, Thane said:

Technically, Catria got three alts before Seliph and Morgan got one. I didn't see that one coming.

Don't forget Est being featured in two special heroes banners in a row. Impressive.

It's alright though because you can't spell best or aesthetic without Est.

Also, I kinda now wish they did the 40 summon were for special heroes instead of new heroes. It is hard to get a duo hero right now without having to spend orbs. Maybe the next new heroes banner will feature a duo hero.

Anyways, this is a great way of celebrating 30 years of the series.

Edited by Cron
I meant 30 Years not 20.

29 minutes ago, Othin said:

No, those were New Heroes banners. This is a Special Heroes banner, just like seasonals. 

OK thanks for the info I wasn't sure if this one was a new heroes or a special heroes.

Urgh...I want everyone on this banner so much...But my summoning still doesn't work... I'm going to be rather pissed if it doesn't get fixed soon enough for me to use the orbs I've saved up on this banner.

Palla looks sorta game-breaking, not gonna lie.

Is it weird that I always pronounced her name as Paya? I just always see too Ls in a row as a "Y" like in spanish.

23 minutes ago, Benice said:

Urgh...I want everyone on this banner so much...But my summoning still doesn't work... I'm going to be rather pissed if it doesn't get fixed soon enough for me to use the orbs I've saved up on this banner.

Erm, what do you mean?  That's odd, to put it lightly!

Thinking more about Minerva: In addition to her being the last 5* launch unit to get an alt, we're now at the point where the only 5* exclusive units from the first four months of the game that don't have alts are Eldigan and Karel. Wonder if either of them will get an alt eventually.

44 minutes ago, Cron said:

Don't forget Est being featured in two special heroes banners in a row. Impressive.

It's alright though because you can't spell best or aesthetic without Est.

Also, I kinda now wish they did the 40 summon were for special heroes instead of new heroes. It is hard to get a duo hero right now without having to spend orbs. Maybe the next new heroes banner will feature a duo hero.

Anyways, this is a great way of celebrating 20 years of the series.

It seems like they're only doing one duo hero per month, and for months that have Special Heroes, they always put the duo on that banner. Next month will probably have the duo be brides, and then the two months after that will probably have it be on the summer banners. We're likely to get two New Heroes banners in either August or September, though, depending on where they put the dancer banner, so one of those could have duo New Heroes.

7 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Erm, what do you mean?  That's odd, to put it lightly!

Screenshot_20200417-104859.thumb.jpg.5b72f441159a7aaef6a740685864e088.jpg

Every time I go to the summoning screen, this happens. I can still get heroes through Grand hero battles and grails, but no summoning. I have checked my account settings and sent an inquiry, but no dice thus far. This has been happening since aboutnthe start of april, so I hope it gets fixed soon.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Screenshot_20200417-104859.thumb.jpg.5b72f441159a7aaef6a740685864e088.jpg

Every time I go to the summoning screen, this happens. I can still get heroes through Grand hero battles and grails, but no summoning. I have checked my account settings and sent an inquiry, but no dice thus far. This has been happening since aboutnthe start of april, so I hope it gets fixed soon.

Have you send feedback about this? I'd imagine there'd be a response for this issue. Oh, you said you did and got nothing. That's weird.

Edited by Anacybele

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Next time, throw the error code into your favorite search engine, and go.  Found this.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Next time, throw the error code into your favorite search engine, and go.  Found this.

Thanks! I guess Canada isn't supported now? Hopefully this works.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Thanks! I guess Canada isn't supported now? Hopefully this works.

This site will tell you what your location looks like to the outside world.  If you see some weird country, then you'll have to dig around for ways to change your IP address to something more sane.  If your connection goes through a VPN, that might trigger the error, too.

The other suggestion was to link you account, but I'm not sure how seriously I'd take that one.

57 minutes ago, eclipse said:

This site will tell you what your location looks like to the outside world.  If you see some weird country, then you'll have to dig around for ways to change your IP address to something more sane.  If your connection goes through a VPN, that might trigger the error, too.

The other suggestion was to link you account, but I'm not sure how seriously I'd take that one.

Huh, it says my location is indeed where I live, and it isn't even that weird. I also tried an IP masker as the website suggested, but it still didn't work. I have no idea what's wrong. Thank you for all of your help anyways, though.

I will wait until stats are out to jusdge, but I'm really hoping Caeda's attack is not too high to sort of balance that weapon. Effectiveness against over half the cast sounds like a bad idea to me. But hey, so does lots of stuff they have done in the past as well I guess.
Funnily enough, Caeda's weapon kind of sounds like it was designed by a child, just adding new rules as it fits them lol
"You are weak to bows." 
"Bows are weak to me."
"You have a disadvantage against lances."
"But actually, lances are also weak to me..."

As for the banner in general, I really like the art and look of the units. It's a bit jarring how all these characters supposedly grow up to be complete losers compared to how good their child selves are, though I guess that was unavoidable. I really like the whitewing sisters, so I think I'll be going for them. I might summon red as well until I get a Marth though, and a Caeda would be welcome as well.

16 hours ago, Zeo said:

Whitewings are ironically the most tame in my eyes. They're designed to be an absolute terror in the players hands and in flier teams but likely underwhelming everywhere else. It's scary to think of what @BoaFerox's AR team would look like with these three on the frontlines. *shivers*

Believe me, I thought this as well haha. Sadly I don't have that kind of money, but I'll try getting one copy at least. As long as I don't get -atk this unit will be stronger than any of my +10 Whitewings anyway... And since they are a duo unit they will allow me to use the Duo's Hinderance structure to make life a bit harder for the Duo Hector/Kronya combo which is the most common thing that beats this team.