A unit that you like personality wise but is only appreciated for gameplay

Rugman

I have a question for you all, has there ever been a character that you genuinely like-love personality wise but only gets appreciated for gameplay by the majority? If so, who is it and why, I'd love to hear what you all have to say! For me, it's Canas, he's genuinely such a goodhearted and sweet person, he pursues the horror's of Elibe's dark magic not for power, but for knowledge, resisting the temptations of such. It's also a very nice touch that his affinity is Anima to reflect his pursuit of knowledge.

Him having anima affinity is also something that may nod towards his wife apparently being an anima mage. Just wanted to point this out.

Idk how many people like Fiora for her character, but I definitely do. Great unit and super fun to use but Fiora is also that character that really resonates with me. I'm an older brother to two siblings and I tend to really feel bad and take it on myself when they mess up because I always get the feeling I wasn't able to guide them. It's the same kind of energy I see in Fiora, who probably has it even worse, so, yeah.

One of the many reasons I like her so much, mind you.

It's difficult to think of many from Blazing Sword of that nature considering many of the characters that are loved as units are also loved as characters.  It's a metric ton easier to think of such characters from the Archanea games since there are a number of solid units that seem to be overlooked as characters, one of the most prominent examples probably being Wolf who's one of the most OP units in the remakes but is barely remembered for his personality.

I'd say... maybe Marcus?  Like, people talk about him being a great, viable unit in this game that you could bring into endgame, but people don't talk about some of the relationships he has with other characters.  I actually liked seeing him form a friendship with Merlinus.  It wasn't the most special support chain out there, but I liked it well enough.

If this was meant for the more general series of Fire Emblem (in which case, this is the wrong subforum), I'd say a character that'd qualify as such for me would probably be Jesse in the Valentia games.  He's not the most amazing unit, sure, but considering he's eligible to become a dread fighter without the aid of villager forks I'd say he's probably one of the better units in the game.  But I hear not many talk much about how appealing a character he is - usually they'll talk about Saber or one of the villagers of Ram Village.  I like that he basically becomes like Venom Snake and forms his own mercenary nation.

Also probably Lex from Genealogy.  People definitely think he's a strong unit considering he's got Paragon and holy blood (and also is the best choice for turning Larcei and Ulster into indestructible death bombs), but like a lot of Genealogy characters his personality is sort of forgotten about.  Yet as limited a character as he has, I can't help but like this guy.  Same goes for Arthur from the same game.  And Oifaye, whose character is overlooked in favor of Finn (understandable given Finn also gets an entire other game to really shine in).

1 hour ago, Rugman said:

I have a question for you all, has there ever been a character that you genuinely like-love personality wise but only gets appreciated for gameplay by the majority? If so, who is it and why, I'd love to hear what you all have to say! For me, it's Canas, he's genuinely such a goodhearted and sweet person, he pursues the horror's of Elibe's dark magic not for power, but for knowledge, resisting the temptations of such. It's also a very nice touch that his affinity is Anima to reflect his pursuit of knowledge.

I mean, my favourite character in the series?

Definitely wouldn't count for this.

In BS, I'd say Hawkeye or Geitz.

For the series as a whole, maybe this should be in the general section. More generally, I think someone like Lena. Absolutely one of the more storied Archanean characters, she's actually a minor noble and was supposed to marry Michalis, which makes her choosing to be a cleric or to pursue a relationship with Julian more interesting. There's also Lysithea for 3H, who's definitely gotten blowback, but I still like her as a character and the most busted mage in Fodlan.

Also the sadly underdeveloped Nephenee, much as that is totally tainted by being my MVP for my first time playing the Tellius games.

Genuinely like Lyn. She's a nice, kind and compassionate girl with a soft heart and a fierce determination to do the right thing and help her friends. Even if it means slapping some sense into them quite literally. I only wish that Warriors didn't try so hard to show her feminist behaviour as she barely displayed it in the plot of her own game.

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also probably Lex from Genealogy.  People definitely think he's a strong unit considering he's got Paragon and holy blood (and also is the best choice for turning Larcei and Ulster into indestructible death bombs), but like a lot of Genealogy characters his personality is sort of forgotten about.  Yet as limited a character as he has, I can't help but like this guy.

Read the Oosawa manga! He has a massive role in that

I'll go with Melady for Binding Blade. You don't hear a whole lot about the majority of that cast, so, I suppose most characters could fit this topic.

This is a hard thing to gauge for Blazing Blade. Most of that cast is loved as units and as characters. Fiora, Canas, Florina, Jaffar, Oswin...people generally list them as characters they like, not just as units they like. Maybe Lucius? I don't hear as much love for him as a character as I do for him as a unit.

For Sacred Stones, it's definitely Seth. I like him a lot more than I thought I would, but I almost exclusively hear about his incredible gameplay merits.

Canas for sure, as well as several other characters mentioned here like Lex, Lysithea, Geitz, and so on.

As for someone who hasn't been mentioned yet, Python. Archers are really good in SoV because of how they work compared to other games (even if Python himself isn't really that spectacular), but I also really enjoy Python as a character. I really do like his laid back, apathetic wise ass personality, and he's one of the Fire Emblem characters that resembles me the most personality wise alongside Gray.

3 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Canas for sure, as well as several other characters mentioned here like Lex, Lysithea, Geitz, and so on.

As for someone who hasn't been mentioned yet, Python. Archers are really good in SoV because of how they work compared to other games (even if Python himself isn't really that spectacular), but I also really enjoy Python as a character. I really do like his laid back, apathetic wise ass personality, and he's one of the Fire Emblem characters that resembles me the most personality wise alongside Gray.

Might want to check which subforum you're in before stating stuff like this!

That being said, I absolutely adore Legault's personality.

• 1 month later...

For some reason I used to like warriors. Had Bartre, Dorcas and Geitz in all my teams. Same still goes for Canas. Used too dislike prepromotes. Always benched them, even Marcus, Seth and Titiana...

Nowadays I'm much more open for mixed teams. Likely because I also got "better" at FE games.

But I still hate smallish teams. Most of the time I like to use 12 units, while I only need 8~10.

Hate cutting units mid-game when they get RNG screwed. Feels like betraying them.