FFX Remake - (On Hiatus)

Vesly

Current version (8 chapters + some drafts):  
FFX ups file

*Use on FE8 U (This link is automatically updated as I develop.)

Post last updated: May 28, 2020

326516835_showcasecompilation1.png.7b675437adaa5c18fae9f9d6c726e558.png

27890360_showcasecompilation2.png.e4b7becddc8accbe70a0e23162d90417.png

If you'd like to make a chapter for this game, or contribute in another way, please join my discord server. All are welcome (eg. to follow updates and provide feedback).

Random battles:

Spoiler

VisualBoyAdvance-M_UNj8o9bn1U.png.4c34f9480c5e1102cc605149babd0e3a.png

Random battles. 

VisualBoyAdvance-M_97cj0tufCt.png.4e60026e814d2695adfb39b83259b918.png

FEBuilderGBA_KDHCp1EClQ.png.211dcf9815bc05573090697ff0ee7a43.png

Randomly places units in above squares & matches the map. Currently 63 small maps it chooses from. 

Pitch:

Final Fantasy 10 is an excellent game well-suited to a Fire Emblem Remake due to its cohesive and linear story line. The final fantasy series is well known and has many assets readily available. This could provide a breath of fresh air to FE Rom Hacks and open the gates for final fantasy crossovers. 

Enemies assets from final fantasy tactics, which can be imported into Fire Emblem.

Spoiler

D8S1RAnweP.gif.0533c15748bb154cc6dc229863196df6.gif

FFX script, which we'd draw on for inspiration 

FFX portraits are already imported, but some could be touched up. 

This game is a JRPG, not quite fire emblem anymore. As so many things differ from Vanilla, expect many things that could be improved on. Feedback is always appreciated.

Once this hack is completed, I'd like to allow anybody to make use of the random battles code as well as any assets imported or developed for it. This would mean final fantasy monster map sprites for anyone's use. 

Thanks for the support, everybody. 🙂

Credits

Spoiler

Vesly

Feels
Random Wizard
Zeta
Zoramine

Spoiler

Patches:
16_tracks_12_sounds
Additional AI: Talk AI
All Instrument
Allow 254 generic minimugs
CasualMode
Fix CG Fade Glitch
Sell Price expansion
Minimum poison damage for each chapter
Shop BGM for each chapter
Preparation BGM by chapter
Victory BGM by chapter
Chapter titles to text
Map Danger Zone
Define multiple classes to suppress status display
drumfix
Remove enemy control glitch
Display escape menu
Add Event: Split Menu
Change AI of unit or class at once
Make the unit bad status
Get hp
Get level
Get status
Set status
Item check
Lose Item
Give experience points
Convert memory slot to string
Instantaneous move unit
Silent give item
ExModularSave
FE8-Battle stats with Anims off
Set Unit State Conditions (UNCM)
01command_hack
48command hack
Anti-huffman
FixedGrowthsMode
fix_lz77decompress
Fix Summoned Phantom's wexp
Get number of units matching a specific condition
HPBars
Improved sound mixer
Even in fog, ensure visibility at specific coordinates
Less annoying fog
Event condition: Tile change
Skip world map fix
Display multiple exit markers on the map
Allow to summon multiple classes
Allow detailed setting of weapons held by summoned units
Narrow font
Make NPC as third power
SkillSystems
Sound_NIMAP2
Stairs 20191031
TorchWeapons
UnitActionRework
Special event for each unit
Change effectiveness damage coefficient of the weapon

Please let me know if I've missed your name in credits after using your resource. Apologies if this happens. 

Edited by Vesly

Oh wow. No one else responded to this? Well I'm going to commit a bit of a faux pas and double post, because otherwise my post would probably go unseen by the TC. Now that I've got a chance to play through this demo I have to say the open world random enemy encounter feature is great. I'm slowly seeing Fire Emblem hacking turning into some kind of open source development environment. That being said what I've seen so far of the game has been pretty mindless. You stand no chance of losing random battles because of the stat differences. The enemies can barely even damage you and HP is recovered automatically just by spawning on castles. I'd also have the over world dead trees have less HP. I annoyingly kept trying to break them only to be interrupted by a random battle which then reset the snag's HP. This happened concurrently several times. So, yeah, reduce Snag's HP to 1 or something.

Also I'm going to have to disagree with your initial premise of FFX being a particularly good target for this remake. For one, it's a heavy story based game, so you're abridgment and alterations of the script are going to have a hard time feeling anything but lesser. And if you just recreate the script word for word then it's going to air on the boring side for people who have played it already as it'll be the same experience with a lower presentation budget. Especially when it comes to some of the more flashy scenes (we just going to get a Demon King sprite to represent Sin?). The fact that it's linear also doesn't really support this hack. Go open world! You've created this whole new style of playing Fire Emblem games, or rather, using the Fire Emblem engine. Release the shackles of a linear story and make a world map. I suggest remaking the First Final Fantasy. It has distinct environments that would be easy to replicate and it's minimalist script gives you more fun to play around with a story. That's my 2 cents at any rate.

I've made a lot of progress and updated the first post. There are now 8 chapters.

On 5/1/2020 at 2:41 AM, Jotari said:

That being said what I've seen so far of the game has been pretty mindless.

Indeed. I was basically sharing the demo as a proof of concept back in April. The combat is a bit better now, but still needs to be improved. 

So, yeah, reduce Snag's HP to 1 or something.

You can no longer encounter random battles while adjacent to a snag. 🙂

it's a heavy story based game, so you're abridgment and alterations of the script are going to have a hard time feeling anything but lesser.

I hope not to compete with the original game's story. I hope to appeal to nostalgia of it, while also dishing out just enough of the main plot points to have it make sense to a newcomer. I've always felt that the Fire Emblem games have far too much dialogue personally, and I wouldn't know what to write if trying to create my own story from scratch. I find the battle gameplay of Fire Emblem far more interesting than Final Fantasy, so hopefully in this hybrid of games I can end up creating some good battles.

we just going to get a Demon King sprite to represent Sin?

Spoiler

CG 

image.png.cb08461282f402482b2bbe4132519b00.png

Ingame draft

image.png.0d9b4e95d2fbed18db3f47b70f690f00.png

(As Sin is really 8 enemies side by side iirc, it makes the enemy phase longer, so I've taken out all but his head in 'To Kilika' temporarily.) 

Go open world! You've created this whole new style of playing Fire Emblem games, or rather, using the Fire Emblem engine. Release the shackles of a linear story and make a world map.

It is quite difficult dealing with events that can be triggered at different points in the game, I'm finding. I think I've figured out how to deal with this pretty well by now, but it is a bit of a pain. I feel committed to FFX at this point, but I think for the mainland I would like to have it less linear than the three starting isles (Ruins, Besaid, and Kilika). I've put in a warp chapter feature for debugging while playing on real gba hardware, which I will later re-purpose for the airship to warp around the world map. If I'm going to make a game non-linear, there needs to be reasons to re-visit areas (and it will typically be optional), which I feel is lower priority than creating the main game. I've put in an optional cave in Besaid Island, though. It needs a light source, so you should probably grab Yuna's "Flash" tome if you want to explore it. FFX is a huge game, so I won't ever finish this project if I prioritize side quests. 

That said, if anyone wants to create content for this game, I would be happy to accept it (and credit you accordingly). 

Warp

Spoiler

1903916872_warpchapter.gif.a714dfb4afe48caf0d6ec92383484a64.gif

World map CG

Spoiler

image.png.84fd8c4a589a0248f1ebc884af8225c9.png

Edited by Rew

• 3 months later...

So I'm playing this hack, and I gotta say, it's pretty good. However, Wakka's Shoot's description is "Piercing."
What does it pierce? It's not ignoring the enemy's Defense, nor is it piercing through an enemy.
EDIT: Just found out it deals effective damage against Behemoths. Still, the description isn't very helpful.

Edited by OdysseyNeptune

49 minutes ago, OdysseyNeptune said:

So I'm playing this hack, and I gotta say, it's pretty good. However, Wakka's Shoot's description is "Piercing."
What does it pierce? It's not ignoring the enemy's Defense, nor is it piercing through an enemy.
EDIT: Just found out it deals effective damage against Behemoths. Still, the description isn't very helpful.

Just as an FYI, OP has switched gears and is now working on a Pokemon in FE8 hack. I much prefer the FFX project myself, but I don't think he'll be updating this or doing much work on it any time soon. The Pokemon thread is on FEU.

39 minutes ago, Aegius_NaTL said:

Just as an FYI, OP has switched gears and is now working on a Pokemon in FE8 hack. I much prefer the FFX project myself, but I don't think he'll be updating this or doing much work on it any time soon. The Pokemon thread is on FEU.

Oh....

Wait, Pokémon in FE8, huh? Sounds interesting.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:50 PM, OdysseyNeptune said:

"Piercing."

Yeah, idea was to try and make it ignore half of defense. Since I never figured that out I just gave it effective damage against enemies with high def. 

I think I learned a lot from this project and I hope to make better use of the ideas in my newer project, Pokemblem. It was a very tough decision to put this one on indefinite hiatus, but ultimately so many mechanics I wanted to use relate to pokemon, so it made sense to jump ship. Thank you to anyone who took an interest in my work. 

Edited by Vesly

On 9/29/2020 at 11:59 AM, Vesly said:

Yeah, idea was to try and make it ignore half of defense. Since I never figured that out I just gave it effective damage against enemies with high def. 

I think I learned a lot from this project and I hope to make better use of the ideas in my newer project, Pokemblem. It was a very tough decision to put this one on indefinite hiatus, but ultimately so many mechanics I wanted to use relate to pokemon, so it made sense to jump ship. Thank you to anyone who took an interest in my work. 

I see... Well, best of luck with Pokémblem! Where can I find the thread for that hack? It sounds interesting.