Controlling enemy units

Hello! This is my first post on Serenes Forest.

Is there a cheat code I can use for Sacred Stones on visual boy advance that allows you to easily control enemy phase like you would on player phase? So, player phase starts, you make your turn, end the turn, enemy phase starts, you control the enemies on that turn, end the turn, and repeat?  Not counting other phase, obviously. I assume that this would also only work on the normal and hard difficulties.

I'm not that experienced with putting cheat codes into VBA, so I may need somewhat detailed instructions. I'm using the US version of the game.

If anyone could help me out, that would be amazing!

Edited by Triple-0 67
reorganizing the post

There is the enemy control glitch, if you are not already aware of it.

https://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/miscellaneous/hints-and-secrets/

Scroll down a bit and you should see Mine Trick v2. Follow those instructions and it should work!

And welcome to the forest!

Edited by Benice

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

There is the enemy control glitch, if you are not already aware of it.

https://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/miscellaneous/hints-and-secrets/

Scroll down a bit and you should see Mine Trick v2. Follow those instructions and it should work!

And welcome to the forest!

Thank you! I have actually done this trick on FE7 before. However, I was thinking of something that would work for the whole game.

Just now, Triple-0 67 said:

Thank you! I have actually done this trick on FE7 before. However, I was thinking of something that would work for the whole game.

Sadly, I can't help you there. I apologize.

You can do this by modifying the level address. For FE8, Open the cheat list and add code 0202BCFE:xxyy. replace xx with phase and yy with the chapter code.

Spoiler

Phase codes:

00 - player phase

40 - npc phase

80 - enemy phase

Chapter codes:

00 - Prologue

01 - 1

02 - 2

03 - 3

04 - 4

05 - 5x

06 - 5

07 - 6

08 - 7

09 - 8

0A -  9A

0B - 10A

0C - 12A

0D - 13A

0E - 14A

0F - 15A

10 - 16A

11 - 17A

12 - 18A

13 - 19A

14 - 20A

15 - Final 1 A

16 - Final 2 A

17 - 9B

18 - 10B

19 - 12B

1A - 13B

1B - 14B

1C - 15B

1D - 16B

1E - 17B

1F - 18B

20 - 19B

21 - 20B

22 - Final 1 B

23 - Final 2 B

24 - Tower 1

25 - Tower 2

26 - Tower 3

27 - Tower 4

28 - Tower 5

29 - Tower 6

2A - Tower 7

2B - Tower 8

2E - Ruins 1

2F - Ruins 2

30 - Ruins 3

31 - Ruins 4

32 - Ruins 5

33 - Ruins 6

34 - Ruins 7

35 - Ruins 8

36 - Ruins 9

37 - Ruins 10

39 - Melkaen Coast

3D - 11A

3E - 11B

So for example, if you're in chapter 6 and you want enemy phase, the code would be 0202BCFE:8007. Activate it during player phase and you can control enemy units. Just make sure you turn it off before you end the turn otherwise you will have infinite ai controlled enemy phases. You could also use it as a level select code, but in FE8 going to a later chapter crashes the game. FE6 and FE7 you can skip wherever you want though.

FE6 and FE7 work similarly, though the memory address and chapter codes are different. I don't remember what theirs are, see if you can figure those ones out for yourself ;) (hint: 2 byte, hex, RAM search is your friend)

Perhaps there's an easier way, but that's what I use.

18 hours ago, DukeBox said:

You can do this by modifying the level address. For FE8, Open the cheat list and add code 0202BCFE:xxyy. replace xx with phase and yy with the chapter code.

Reveal hidden contents

Phase codes:

00 - player phase

40 - npc phase

80 - enemy phase

Chapter codes:

00 - Prologue

01 - 1

02 - 2

03 - 3

04 - 4

05 - 5x

06 - 5

07 - 6

08 - 7

09 - 8

0A -  9A

0B - 10A

0C - 12A

0D - 13A

0E - 14A

0F - 15A

10 - 16A

11 - 17A

12 - 18A

13 - 19A

14 - 20A

15 - Final 1 A

16 - Final 2 A

17 - 9B

18 - 10B

19 - 12B

1A - 13B

1B - 14B

1C - 15B

1D - 16B

1E - 17B

1F - 18B

20 - 19B

21 - 20B

22 - Final 1 B

23 - Final 2 B

24 - Tower 1

25 - Tower 2

26 - Tower 3

27 - Tower 4

28 - Tower 5

29 - Tower 6

2A - Tower 7

2B - Tower 8

2E - Ruins 1

2F - Ruins 2

30 - Ruins 3

31 - Ruins 4

32 - Ruins 5

33 - Ruins 6

34 - Ruins 7

35 - Ruins 8

36 - Ruins 9

37 - Ruins 10

39 - Melkaen Coast

3D - 11A

3E - 11B

So for example, if you're in chapter 6 and you want enemy phase, the code would be 0202BCFE:8007. Activate it during player phase and you can control enemy units. Just make sure you turn it off before you end the turn otherwise you will have infinite ai controlled enemy phases. You could also use it as a level select code, but in FE8 going to a later chapter crashes the game. FE6 and FE7 you can skip wherever you want though.

FE6 and FE7 work similarly, though the memory address and chapter codes are different. I don't remember what theirs are, see if you can figure those ones out for yourself 😉 (hint: 2 byte, hex, RAM search is your friend)

Perhaps there's an easier way, but that's what I use.

Thank you for being so helpful! However, it still isn't working. I tried the code 0202BCFE:8000 on the prologue on normal mode with all 4 different code input options. Could you specify which one of those it for later reference? For all 4 different options, I entered the game with the code off, started a new game, moved seth, then enabled the code, but the enemies weren't controllable during that phase or after ending the phase. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Triple-0 67 said:

Thank you for being so helpful! However, it still isn't working. I tried the code 0202BCFE:8000 on the prologue on normal mode with all 4 different code input options. Could you specify which one of those it for later reference? For all 4 different options, I entered the game with the code off, started a new game, moved seth, then enabled the code, but the enemies weren't controllable during that phase or after ending the phase. Thank you!

I made a quick video demonstrating a way to use it. This way might skip turn events like throne healing though. I might make a more detailed video at some point with a better method if i find one.

8 hours ago, DukeBox said:

Actually nevermind, I'm an idiot. There's already a simple way to do this.

https://feuniverse.us/t/control-enemy-npc-units-fe8/1897

FEBuilder also includes this as a patch you can apply that allows you to control enemy and npc units.

Thank you for providing such a straight to the point tutorial! As it turns out, I was actually doing it the right way the whole time, but the 'disabled' box was checked, my bad. However, I am interested in this other solution. Would you mind telling me the proper way to put in that code?

I also have the editor, so if I need to use it I can, but I'm not that experienced with using it.

Edited by Triple-0 67
added information

5 hours ago, Triple-0 67 said:

Thank you for providing such a straight to the point tutorial! As it turns out, I was actually doing it the right way the whole time, but the 'disabled' box was checked, my bad. However, I am interested in this other solution. Would you mind telling me the proper way to put in that code?

I also have the editor, so if I need to use it I can, but I'm not that experienced with using it.

1. Open the ROM in FEBuilder

2. Go to Tools > Patches

3. Find the control enemy patch

4. Change the drop down to "control enemy"

5. Write to ROM

6. Save the ROM

Your ROM will now have all phases player controlled.

39 minutes ago, DukeBox said:

1. Open the ROM in FEBuilder

2. Go to Tools > Patches

3. Find the control enemy patch

4. Change the drop down to "control enemy"

5. Write to ROM

6. Save the ROM

Your ROM will now have all phases player controlled.

Thanks mate, you're a life saver! It works flawlessly.

I thought you meant FEditor, but then I realized you were talking about a different tool, which means that now I have a whole new toy to mess with!

5 minutes ago, Triple-0 67 said:

Thanks mate, you're a life saver! It works flawlessly.

I thought you meant FEditor, but then I realized you were talking about a different tool, which means that now I have a whole new toy to mess with!

you're welcome.

In the future, it might be better to ask more technical questions on FE Universe, as they are much more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the games.

20 hours ago, DukeBox said:

you're welcome.

In the future, it might be better to ask more technical questions on FE Universe, as they are much more knowledgeable about the inner workings of the games.

Will do! The control enemy patch had a few issues with fog of war, but it was removed easily with the same tool.