A Dangerous Game (SRPG Studio, MAFC IV project)

Von Ithipathachai

Hello again.  The following game is my entry for Ghast’s Make A Fun Chapter contest this year.  This is a one-chapter game in which you control a team of characters competing against another team on a questionable gladiatorial combat game show that I host.  The prize: for each person on the winning team, one wish granted by me.  (Don’t ask how I’m able to do so, you’re probably better off not thinking about it too hard.)

The primary draw of this game is its heavy use of self-randomization.  There are 20 playable characters in the game; each of them receives a random class, inventory, personal Skill, and weapon type specialties, and you receive 10 of these characters at random to use while the computer gets the rest.  The environment types (swamp, desert, fort) each round takes place in are also randomized.  My goal here was to make an amusing player experience while also cramming as much replayability as I could into a single chapter.  No two playthroughs of this game are exactly the same, and it is designed for ironman play in a single sitting as the player must make the best use they can out of the resources they’ve been given.

The cast, gathered from various people from Discord servers for /r/SRPGStudio, FEUniverse, and Sanctaea Chronicles:

Spoiler

Von: Von Ithipathachai
Dave: Dave the Aubergine
Air: Airtempest
Aren: Aren
MarkyJoe: MarkyJoe
Kyrads: Kyrads
Ambrose: AmBrosiac
Tacos: GermanTacos
Josh: JtheDuelist
Briver: Briver
Faerghast: Faerghast
Scratchy: Scratchy
Viteri: Viteri
Savira: Soviet
Rena: Lady Rena
Hilda: Lila Corpsegrave
Madison: Radrex
ThatGuy: ThatGuy
Doug: Mr_Karkino
Gregor: RandomWizard
Nevrikx: Nevrikx

Some other notable features include:

• Single-RNG (which SRPG Studio uses by default)
  • A Weapon Triangle (Swords, Lances, Axes), which grants Accuracy ±15
  • A Trinity of Magic (Light, Anima, Dark), which grants Attack ±2 and Accuracy ±15
  • Universally 2-3-Range Bows and Fates-style Daggers, which are Triangle-independent
  • AS = Spd - Wt (you need 5 more AS than your opponent for follow-up attacks)

Dropbox link

Screenshots:

Spoiler

eb8005cbf3f5ba1430d5e95bf12e49d709c04f8b

174680ac69da69c1b4fb56e8f6c661bd7aac5bd7

bae8ecb43671f91a105abcdb7aef33cb8ccc0f37

f986b5ea9e42d8781cd20e3160c8704e5c006195

73d1494c960d631b4452c3d9d8d25eae559e203f

Enjoy!

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

So, in the true spirit of assessing a random game, I beat it twice.

I skipped the Round 2 dialogue on accident both times because I have no patience.

It was pretty cool but I think it would have been better with one unified tome type and the Fates weapon triangle, 7.8 / 10 mildly amusing writing, how do I get you to acknowledge that you suck?

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I skipped the Round 2 dialogue on accident both times because I have no patience.

Oof.  Guess I'll have to reproduce it here for you, then.

Spoiler

(The environment is loaded)

Von: We now proceed to Round 2: The Dragon That Ate People.  This one will take place in a [environment type] environment.  [Description of environment type]  Let's start this round by introducing our guest of dishonor...

(The cursor focuses on Karen)

Karen: Hey!  Where am I?  What am I doing here?  I demand to speak to your manager!

Von: This here is Karen.  You know, Karen.  That annoying customer you encounter at work who almost always has something to complain about.  Today, we're going to get some revenge.  Bring out Orbison!

(Orbison bursts roaring into the arena)

Orbison: PRETTY WOMAN... WALKING DOWN THE STREET/PRETTY WOMAN... THE KIND I'D LIKE TO EAT/PRETTY WOMAN.../I DON'T BELIEVE YOU, YOU MUST BE TRUE~!/NO ONE CAN LOOK AS GOOD AS YOU~!

Karen: Wh-what the-?!  Don't tell me you're going to feed me to that thing!

Von: Well, as the manager, I believe it is my duty not to hide anything from you, so...  Yeah.  Orbison is hungry and you're going to be his next meal.

Karen: You bastard!  GET ME OUT OF HERE!  GET ME OUT OF HERE, NOW!

Von: I'm afraid I can't do that.  The round's supposed to end once you get eaten.  Yes, you heard that right!  Your objective for this round is to kill more enemies than the other team before Karen gets eaten.  Aside from that, the rules haven't changed.  Every survivor on the winning team will still get 250 EXP before the next round, and you'll still be able to buy additional supplies from the Shop with whatever money you have left.

(The cursor focuses on each shop)

Von: Oh, and, uh...  If you tie, I'll just determine the winner with a coin toss.  Happy hunting!

Orbison: *smack, smack*

Karen: ARGGGGGHHH!

Von: I'm starting to get hungry myself...  Say, I don't suppose either of you lovely ladies want a slice?  ...No?  Okay, then.  More leftovers for me?

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

EDIT: The bit with me groveling is part of MarkyJoe's unit interview, which has a random chance of happening if he's alive at the start of either Player or Enemy Phase depending on which team he's on.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

• 8 months later...
1 minute ago, ZangusKhan said:

Just saw Ghast's video on this. I'm glad  I get to play it!

...also where'd you find those armor knight sprites in Sactaea Chronicles? Are they free game?

Those are part of some free assets made by JAPANWeb.  You can find them on the Steam Workshop with some others.